Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Alice manages to be a petulant bitch even after nearly killing somebody. She is the worst goddamn piece of poo poo character. She's not even a gently caress jerk like Dio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Endorph posted:

Lots of people mad that a character in a video game was mean to them.

Alice for best character, is what I'm saying.

She has no qualities that make me like her, I like Dio, a lot actually. I think Alice is boring, poorly written trash just put in to fufill the requirment that every Visual Novel has a "cute girl". Lotus in the first game was miles better than that trash. She's designed really dumb too, her outfit isn't just impractical, I'm not even sure what's going on. gently caress that horrible piece of poo poo character.

E: Also, people recognize Dio as a dick, Alice gets nothing from the rest of the cast.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Color Printer posted:

Except Luna also fulfills this role, maybe moreso than Alice?

edit: the role of "cute girl", not the role of being "boring, poorly written trash"

I meant more as a sex appeal game, which is the biggest thing stopping this game from being perfect in my mind.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Prop Wash posted:

I think many of the people you just named didn't have any issues voting to kill other members of the group who are far smarter and more dangerous than ol' always-ally Sigma. Alice pointed that out and she was right, even if she was using it to deflect blame. What she did makes perfect sense and apparently some goons are mad that a character in their anime puzzle dating sim is more intelligent than they are.

Basically, Alice for best character.

No yeah somebody who's completely unapologetic about nearly killing a person is a totally logical way to write a character that we're supposed to like

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Color Printer posted:

Reminder: they have been kidnapped and one of them is almost certainly the kidnapper and for all Alice knows Sigma could be Zero.

I am passionate in my hatred for this fictional anime character.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I never thought they'd top the song at the end of 999, but I'll be damned if they didn't.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

And More posted:

Maybe they're actually two-thirds of Charlie's Angels. The real question should be: Where is the third angel?

I'm a non-short, white nerd and I wouldn't dress like that. Alice's doodad looks like a cowbell. If you're going to go in the nude, don't pretend like you're trying to dress. :colbert:

I don't even know how the cowbell thing works, how does it stay still? What fabric is it made of, where on earth would you buy this and why?????. I don't even think it looks good, like, at all.

E:Phi is the 3rd angel, she's even got superpowers!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That hat is stupid and made me hate him the first time I saw him. The medicine blackmail was just icing on the cake.

What is it with the characters in this game being the biggest assholes?

Well technically, we betray people exactly 50% of the time, so we're not much better. :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Oh man, :swoon: the reactions to this are going to be beautiful

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

HMS Boromir posted:

So what morphogenetic weewoo accounts for this? Sigma happened to subconsciously suggest to Alice that she change her vote to his advantage (in this path and this path only)?

Keep in mind, this isn't a matter of him having extra information, it's a matter of his choice affecting another choice with no exchange of information other than the possibility of Alice receiving something from Sigma - but something that causes her to choose wrong.

EDIT: VVV I didn't even vote. I'm annoyed because the game is being inconsistent and either it's going to be unexplained or it's going to be really convoluted about it. I eagerly await being proven wrong, I suppose.

Yeah, I mean, the game has some glaring issues, but wait until everything plays out to start drawing lines in the sand.

E: When the gently caress did Dio pick Ally, I don't remember that at all. :stare:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pierzak posted:

Yes. She betrayed us last time. :feelsgood:

Changing the others' vote to "you're always wrong" is still a lovely gimmick though.

I wanted to see Alice properly betrayed. :colbert:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Penakoto posted:

You're being super whiny about people being super whiny.

Oh yeah? Well you're being whiny about someone being whiny about someone being whiny :smug:

wait a minute...

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Seriously, save your big posts about your feelings about the game overall for the end of the game. VLR hasn't even begun opening up it's bag of tricks yet.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DarkHamsterlord posted:

All this talk about the rules of storytelling reminds me of this file from earlier on

It's my favorite file in the game because the writer breaks most of these rules in all of his stories.

Hell, how many of these have been broken by this game already

HMS Boromir posted:

I understand the argument that it's early to pass judgment because it might end up making sense in the fullness of time, but it leaves a bad enough taste in my mouth that I don't think I'm willing to keep reading with a little voice in the back of my mind constantly reminding me that they haven't dug themselves out of this hole yet. I think I'm out.

Well, godspeed then, I love VLR but it's most definitely not for everyone.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Virtue's Last Reward: The game where you can never feel good about whatever you vote.

There's always Luna

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aumanor posted:

Alice: a study in hypocrisy. You know what? The sob story does even less for me now. Onwards with loving the stripper up!

I wanna buy you an Alice avatar so drat bad

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ten is my fave character, I forgot about this interaction. He's a calm, collected, pretty nice old man :)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Fedule, if you want me not to post this just say so, but the series creator just stated on twitter that Zero Escape 3 looks unlikely.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fedule posted:

I'm too depressed to censor this.

:negative:

Also go with the red door.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Lettuce Play Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward: If you're a C cup, I'm packing twelve inches!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Super Jay Mann posted:

Nothing in this game can possibly be as awkward as June and Junpei's elevator talk.

oh dear christ don't remind me.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I mean, like Junpei, Sigma is a young. It's dumb but I kind of like that he's a bit of a ponce.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like how Sigma needed Dio to explain to him about DNA bases then. :v:

More for the convenience of the player, sure, but having your player character not know much but still be doing a PhD is kinda funny.

Maybe his dad's a professor or something, and he's just bumming his way to a degree? :shrug:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I can't really put my finger on why, but I really liked 999 more. Something about it felt more personal and intimate. Maybe because it just felt a lot more like a horror game?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In 999, we pretty much see the moment the 9th Man's life ends. The only time we see dead bodies is when Junpei is about to die himself, which raises the tension.

So far, whenever we see bodies in this game, it's nothing more than a vote affecter.

There's also the matter of 999 putting the cast in an environment that was presumed to be falling apart, while VLR puts them in an apparently stable environment where they can get buzzed if they so choose.

The early drama with Snake was really great as well.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
And yeah, that happened. Really killer update placement Fedule. :smug:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man lots of people ITT really loving thrilled to hate this game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

NeoNaoNeo posted:

You should try not to keep feeling so indignant and personally slighted when people don't react to something you like how you want them to.

I don't really care, I just think it's odd that before we've even seen this plot twist to it's conclusion, and really, before it's begun, people are getting ready to be upset about it. If you express that much effort into disliking something, maybe you should reevaluate how you're spending your time.

E: I'm glad stuff fell out like this, I think this bit is better when you ally, and then immediately betray.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

dscruffy1 posted:

I was guessing the whole "TURNS OUT THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME SHE WAS REFERRING TO" but I don't feel smug that I guessed right. Hmmm.

well yeah pretty much everyone figured that out.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Funny story: I was a counseller at a summer camp with my friend, and when we were in charge of the big camp games, we ran something that was effectively a cheap version of the prisoners dillema for candy. It was... pretty interesting.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RefinedUndefined posted:

Can you tell us more?

basically instead of dying, the kids just got candy if their group allied, and one kid got extra candy if he alone betrayed them. It was pretty entertaining, but we got in trouble because kids pretty quickly got upset and started hitting eachother over it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

RefinedUndefined posted:

How many of them started fighting?

Really just like one hit another, it wasn't like anarchy was unleashed or anything but we got in huge poo poo for it and weren't invited back the next year. Worth it though, I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Walterion posted:

Did they also start spouting latin at each other to justify their choices?

In my head-cannon, Phi actually doesn't know a word of latin and just tries really hard to sound smart.

• Locked thread