Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

So the latest update seems to make the callsign, tail number, and flight number stick.
Oh neat. Now the tail number needs to propagate in-world, too. Because right now, on other players, they're just blank rectangles.

That and ATC calls to players need to be heard by everyone. That still doesn't work, I still only hear NPC traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh neat. Now the tail number needs to propagate in-world, too. Because right now, on other players, they're just blank rectangles.

That and ATC calls to players need to be heard by everyone. That still doesn't work, I still only hear NPC traffic.

this sounds like an absolute nightmare that would make it impossible to get through to ATC in any crowded server

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Shipon posted:

this sounds like an absolute nightmare that would make it impossible to get through to ATC in any crowded server

Also they would be use to troll, and little else.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, I don't really need to see whatever racial slur someone has set their tail number to.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does the ATC do any traffic management at all or will it tell two players to land on the same runway at the same time? It told me to hold in the pattern exactly one time and I have no idea what brought that on. I've also never seen any traffic when it has told me to hold for traffic while taxiing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I wholly believe the AI ATC will never even attempt to manage multiplayer, and further that they’ll never get it more than superficially working with AI traffic, live or not.

This is a little bit of hyperbole because it does sort of work, but the minute they have to handle more than one plane on approach it breaks down. With the walled garden that is the realm of possibilities with the AI ATC, this is the only somewhat challenging case and it really shits it’s pants about it. (I think because it’s a wholesale lift from FSX with very little to no improvement.)

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Does the ATC do any traffic management at all or will it tell two players to land on the same runway at the same time? It told me to hold in the pattern exactly one time and I have no idea what brought that on. I've also never seen any traffic when it has told me to hold for traffic while taxiing.

E: Basically, no. The long answer is “kind of, if the stars align” with AI, but absolutely not with multiplayer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The ATC will only interact with you, the AI, or the real world traffic. It doesn't always work that well. There have been times when I'm going in for a landing and the ATC tells the real world southwest flight to go around, but it obviously doesn't because it's a real plane and it doesn't see my video game plane.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005
In my experience so far ATC is almost completely useless. At one point ATC told me to sight traffic at my 9'Clock (where I spotted nothing) only to find myself nearly T-boning a Beechcraft without any warning. I remember the ATC in FSX being far better than this, but it's been more than a decade since I played it. The ground traffic management is particularly abysmal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The ATC problem has been solved. It’s either Vatsim or Pilotedge, depending on your preference of good/free/international

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Got about 2 hours into the Japan tour when my game crashed out around Mount Fuji. What a shame.

Not as annoying as a few days ago when my game crashed on a KORD-KLAX flight as I was on the glide slope into KLAX.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Don't think this has been posted ITT yet - someone's made a free/pwyw bush pilot career mode tool thing - https://maugiroe.wixsite.com/neofly

quote:

Features :
8 kinds of missions : cargo, passengers, VIP (don’t shake them), emergency (land the medic in a random landing zone) illicit delivery (drop “pizza” above a drop zone), secret passenger (night flight), fragile cargo (land smoothly) as well as express delivery (with a short deadline).
Radio text & audio messages from the dispatch following you during the mission
Sound effects (passengers boarding, cargo loading)
Career mode that will give you access to more missions
Flight tracking on the map with events
Qualification system (you can use the aircraft you want as long as it matches the type requested (single prop, multi turboprop, etc.)

Could be a jam if it's done right (especially as i'm too poor rn for OnAir)

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Not the Messiah posted:

Don't think this has been posted ITT yet - someone's made a free/pwyw bush pilot career mode tool thing - https://maugiroe.wixsite.com/neofly

Could be a jam if it's done right (especially as i'm too poor rn for OnAir)

Definitely trying this one! The description sounds fun and you can't beat that price!

Also the patch is going pretty great for me so far, no crashes and lots of things fixed. The biggest one for me was being able to turn on the screens and avionics in the King Air again. Also, unmentioned in the patch notes as far as I can see, but they fixed the scrolling of the flightplan on the King Air's touchscreen. Originally it was suuuuuuper finnicky, you had to drag the tiny scroll bar (literally impossible in any kind of turbulence, it's just too small to grab consistently) or use the scroll wheel, which I use to change my POV so that became annoying fast. Now you can drag from anywhere on the flightplan like a proper touchscreen and that alone makes this update great for me! Though I never use the VFR map any way so maybe that's what's been saving me from hating this update.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Shipon posted:

Got about 2 hours into the Japan tour when my game crashed out around Mount Fuji. What a shame.

Not as annoying as a few days ago when my game crashed on a KORD-KLAX flight as I was on the glide slope into KLAX.

Oh good, it's not my system then.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I crashed every time I tried loading an ILS approach in the TBM, anyone else getting that with the new patch?

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Source4Leko posted:

I crashed every time I tried loading an ILS approach in the TBM, anyone else getting that with the new patch?

Yeah, I've had two flights CTD at less than 5 miles out. :argh:
Other new TBM "features" since the patch
AP jerking up/down when coming to ALT in FLC descent.
PFD frozen but simulated terrain still working.
SmartCamera toggles on for no apparent reason.

Why the hell can't we assign altitudes to waypoints in the flight planner?

Also note to self: make sure cellphone isn't plugged in to charge with hotspot still active. Burned up 2B of mobile data on that patch lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Who is brave enough to enter the hole?

https://www.pcgamer.com/theres-a-freaky-gaping-chasm-in-microsoft-flight-simulator-with-an-airport-at-the-bottom-of-it/

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Shipon posted:

Not at all helpful but I got through the whole mission without crashing, just putting out a data point that it at least works for some people.

You can potentially answer a question I had about it: did it save your progress like the bush trips do? or will you have to do the whole trip over again?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

If your favorite plane has a G1000 then you owe it to yourself to install this mod. I think it's been posted itt already but I thought I'd mention it again. I was frantically :f5:ing for a build compatible with the latest patch and as of about ten minutes ago they actually posted one a mere eight hours after the patch update dropped the absolute madmen.

Headline features

- Adds an option to turn down the brightness on planes that don't have an avionics brightness knob
- Adds an option to turn off the synthetic vision (which I personally hate)
- Adds a bunch of borders and gradients and other minor changes to make it actually look like a real G1000 PFD (as of this brand new build)

I was wondering if the G1000 was a module that could be updated for all the planes. Nice! Can I replace it with a generic six pack? 😂

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

piratepilates posted:

Not at all helpful but I got through the whole mission without crashing, just putting out a data point that it at least works for some people.

You can potentially answer a question I had about it: did it save your progress like the bush trips do? or will you have to do the whole trip over again?

I also had a Tour of Japan crash. No saves it looks like.

In addition, about halfway through the Tour of Japan, my center G1000 panel would deactivate (and take the Autopilot controls with it). Pretty frustrating.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I loaded up the game and checked out that Lago Nova place and my engine kept dying in multiple planes. Loaded up somewhere else in the Extra and flew around and then the garmins would just turn off, and then the engine died, but I was able to restart it this time. I don't have any failures turned on, so there's no reason they should just die like that. Oh well. At least the sensitivities are back, but still no setting for the xbone controller triggers.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

oh thank god

Is anyone else experiencing the G1000/3000 PFD screen freezing (except for the alt tape)? It seems like entering and exiting the flight plan fixes it.

e: ah a lot but I just didn't read the thread

vanisher fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 30, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

vanisher posted:

oh thank god

Is anyone else experiencing the G1000/3000 PFD screen freezing (except for the alt tape)? It seems like entering and exiting the flight plan fixes it.

I've had my speed and altitude freeze before (prepatch). I'll have to try that if it happens again. I've also had the VFR window freeze. Sounds like I should not use it at all this patch.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
It's wild seeing tech debt build up in real time.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

I've had my speed and altitude freeze before (prepatch). I'll have to try that if it happens again. I've also had the VFR window freeze. Sounds like I should not use it at all this patch.

I'm also having issues with the whole flight plan deleting when editing or adding waypoints (still)

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I got to the bottom using the shock ultra. Full flaps, make long loops, and do a WW1 style Immelman Turn at the ends. The camera will start glitching out towards the bottom.

There's currently a lot of traffic trying to depart which is fun to watch.

FORUMS USER 1135 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 30, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Weed Wolf posted:

I also had a Tour of Japan crash. No saves it looks like.

In addition, about halfway through the Tour of Japan, my center G1000 panel would deactivate (and take the Autopilot controls with it). Pretty frustrating.

Same, it kept doing it for me. I think it's that bug with live traffic where controls on other aircraft will affect yours.

I just got real fast at flipping avionics off and on and turning AP back on.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Kerosene19 posted:

Other new TBM "features" since the patch
AP jerking up/down when coming to ALT in FLC descent.

Hey, look on the bright side - it does it when you ascend with FLC too! That's the sort of consistency we need right now

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I don't really need to see whatever racial slur someone has set their tail number to.

Excuse me, I think you meant "gamer word"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I finally made a new thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942445