Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Isn't that just for the P-51? Yeah, it is. I just checked.

The UH-1 has 2 options. "Rudder trim" which will add your pedals to the trim system so you aren't constantly on the pedals to keep it stable.

It also has "central position trim mode" I'm not sure what it does exactly.

Really, all you need is a spare axis you can map the rudder to. it doesn't have to be pedals. An axis that centers on its own might be nice, but something that stays where you put it could be good too.

Edit: Is there any interest in getting together for a training night on the UH-1? I don't have all the answers, but I've been flying it long enough I can answer SOME questions.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There are a few folks that fly pretty regularly and hang out in IRC and on Mumble. One has done some pretty great work editing new missions.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 23, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Once more before I pull the trigger (which I'm about to do tonight/tomorrow), anyone have experience or knowledge about Amazon's lemon policy in case my x52 arrives a broken piece of poo poo? I can't imagine it's unfair or I'm any way bad but I want to make sure if it breaks a month in I'm not stuck with a hundred dollar paperweight and a receipt I'd have a better experience wadding up and jamming up my rear end.

e: I was holding off on FC3 but someone somewhere said that owners of FC3 will get the nicer upgrades free later on, pushing me right off the fence onto the buy button. Still a quality product (and the only source for Russian planes right now) but if this is true, hot drat.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 23, 2013

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Amazon has some pretty extensive documentation on all of that. You have a bit over a month from ordering to return the item or get any refund. In my experience, having returned a camera and a pair of jeans, it's pretty painless, and they're generous on what warrants something being returned. If the stick arrives broken, or if you happen to break it in use within a month, you should be fine. That said, I've had my X52 for going on 4 years, and it's still working like it did originally out of the box after hundreds of hours of use. If you do pull the trigger then best of luck with it, aside from not having much resistance (which you can fix by ordering a higher rate spring or modding it with a CD container head) it's a great stick.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah. And it's "cheap." There have just been a few horror stories in this thread recently and the fact that Saitek is now owned by Mad Catz only fuels the paranoia. But I don't really have many options for the price, especially with the percentage of good reviews. I'm probably going to order it in a few minutes and pray I have the self control to not overnight it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I have had nothing but good experiences with amazon in regards to returns. I've even had them refund me the entire price of a game that I had pre-ordered with overnight delivery because it didn't arrive within 3 days, and when it did arrive (a week after I was supposed to get it) they told me to keep it when I called them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
:geno: $209 dropped in a single mouse click. :geno:

At least I got free shipping. :v:

:cry:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I've had my X-52 for going on three years now. For me the first two I got had an issue where the lights on the stick would go on and off at random intervals between nearly instantly and a few minutes. When the lights went off it stopped reading too. After those two bad apples, which I had exchanged free through Fry's, mine has been great and only now has developed a terrible squeak on the rudder twist. The squeak is coming from inside the handle so I may just pop that open and lube it up with wax(which seems to be recommended) or a plastic safe grease.

This + headtracking using the Pointtracker plugin for FaceTrackNoIR makes flight sims a ton of fun. For A-10 I have a setup that uses every button on my stick(twice since it uses a shift key), and there is very little I have to take my hands off for, mostly engine starts and the like. Debating making a second shift key for startup crap too.

:spergin:

Finally got DCS: World setup now too, and I plan to get FC3 and BS2 before that sale ends. I take it this version works for FC3? http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_US/pd/ThemeID.8605600/productID.180160000

Kinda surprised they haven't worked out a deal to just include that.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of being a :spergin:. I just built a track clip thingie to use with freetrack, and ordered a PS3 eye, which should arrive tomorrow. If it all works, I'll have nice headtracking for ~$25 (Only needed to buy diodes and resistors). A track IR 5 here costs $300 with a track clip pro. I hope it works. :)

First on my play list is probably Rise of Flight. I should probably pick up a DCS game while they are on sale. Which one would be the best starter game?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of being a :spergin:. I just built a track clip thingie to use with freetrack, and ordered a PS3 eye, which should arrive tomorrow. If it all works, I'll have nice headtracking for ~$25 (Only needed to buy diodes and resistors). A track IR 5 here costs $300 with a track clip pro. I hope it works. :)

First on my play list is probably Rise of Flight. I should probably pick up a DCS game while they are on sale. Which one would be the best starter game?

You'll probably want to try PointTracker with FaceTrackNoIR, this just turns it into a better freetrack pretty much. Freetrack has issues with the PS3 eye and is very picky about drivers. I also don't remember the smoothing filter being very great, but I also had no idea what I was doing back when I used it. This with just the default Accella filter works great for DCS and Arma2/3 at least.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ftnoirpt/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/facetracknoir/?source=recommended

Flaming Cliffs 3 is less button pushy for more reward. A10 and BlackShark are both button memorization intensive, but you can do some insane things. If you download DCS World(free) you get the SU-25 to play around with, and from what I understand that is about what the rest of the Flaming Cliffs planes are like.

Oh yeah, and old 35mm film is a great filter for a PS3 eye.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Nice, thanks. I was actually just reading up on facetracknoir and it really feels a lot more "supported". As far as I know the last build of Freetrack is from 2008 or something. The forum is full of spam. I've got developed (exposed) negatives (which I've tried with my phone cam, works great). All I need is for my cam to arrive now. Waiting for poo poo like this makes me 12-years old again.

I'll download DCS World then. I had no idea there was a free SU-25 to play around with, and it's easily one of my favorite airplanes of the era. Thanks! I'm even more like a 12-year old (:spergin:) now.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

SU-25T :spergin:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Just get yourself a trackIR5 if you're serious about it.

You only need the track clip pro ifyou want to wear silly headphones and have a mirror behind you. Otherwise you need a dimish room without much UV light (just draw the shades) and a baseball cap to put the reflectors on.

It's worth it. Freetrack and TrackNoir are terrible.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SocketSeven posted:

You only need the track clip pro ifyou want to wear silly headphones and have a mirror behind you. Otherwise you need a dimish room without much UV light (just draw the shades) and a baseball cap to put the reflectors on.

Probably, but I'm not sure if I'll get into flight sims enough to drop 300 bucks. Can't really afford it at the moment neither. Maybe in the future when I know I'm in it for the long run. Until then, noir etc is still better than nothing / pov hats.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

SocketSeven posted:

They certainly are terrible. Too bad I'm forced to use them (not going to be using them) since my TrackIR 5 cooked itself for no loving reason, 1 month out of warranty.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Safetyland posted:

They certainly are terrible. Too bad I'm forced to use them (not going to be using them) since my TrackIR 5 cooked itself for no loving reason, 1 month out of warranty.

That's actually pretty common. If they stopped requiring that stupid unit, I would buy TrackIR in a heartbeat. Why have an extra device that costs that much, when I have a whooole core just sitting here twiddling it's thumbs during almost all games?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Patch 4.12 for Il-2: 1946 released a week ago http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=40131

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Bondematt posted:

That's actually pretty common. If they stopped requiring that stupid unit, I would buy TrackIR in a heartbeat. Why have an extra device that costs that much, when I have a whooole core just sitting here twiddling it's thumbs during almost all games?

Yeah I read that too. More info:
http://naturalpointofview.blogspot.se/p/trackir-criticism.html#Heat_concerns

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Set up a test mission with a single M4 rifleman set as JTAC, 6000 out from ZSU-23-4 Shilka. Gives me the following UTC: Kilo Mike 719905 (Test mission near Kohlki which is a GG UTC). This isn't anywhere near where the Shilka is, and he's definitely targeting it.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

That dude seems super angry at Natural Point. Some of his points are very valid, but the obsolescence thing is weird, since he is basically asking them to spend time to get old poo poo to work on the new hotness for nothing other than making a small subset of customers happy.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Once more before I pull the trigger (which I'm about to do tonight/tomorrow), anyone have experience or knowledge about Amazon's lemon policy in case my x52 arrives a broken piece of poo poo? I can't imagine it's unfair or I'm any way bad but I want to make sure if it breaks a month in I'm not stuck with a hundred dollar paperweight and a receipt I'd have a better experience wadding up and jamming up my rear end.

e: I was holding off on FC3 but someone somewhere said that owners of FC3 will get the nicer upgrades free later on, pushing me right off the fence onto the buy button. Still a quality product (and the only source for Russian planes right now) but if this is true, hot drat.

According to this post

Wags posted:

Update - 22 June 2013

We have completed our internal discussion of the availability of the "upgraded" Flaming Cliffs aircraft and we have decided to make them available for free to Flaming Cliffs 3 customers. We believe that this will add a very high level of new content to the FC3, it will avoid duplicate aircraft types, and we hope it will broaden the appeal of FC3 to an even larger audience.

Did I mention that FC3 is currently on sale?

:neckbeard:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

taxi mishap.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Bondematt posted:

That dude seems super angry at Natural Point. Some of his points are very valid, but the obsolescence thing is weird, since he is basically asking them to spend time to get old poo poo to work on the new hotness for nothing other than making a small subset of customers happy.

Naturalpoint makes some lovely mechanical designs. Like the joints on the Track Clip Pro. They look more like latches to hold a battery door in place then rotational joints.

I can only imagine that these people who melt them are using the IR lights on the TrackIR at maximum intensity. Since I've got the track clip, mine never gets more then slightly warm to the touch.

His requests that TrackIR 2's work with TrackIR 5 software is just kind of silly. Backwards compatibility cannot be kept forever, and at a certain point, continuing to add features to low end hardware will make a bad impression on your users; They might just not want to sell a product that sucks. The overheating thing might be something to keep in mind for those using the hat clip though. Don't turn your IR's up to maximum. Keep em as low as possible and that should help.

Flight dangerous as all hell is now boarding at gate 202. I love Nvidia spanning mode.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 24, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
PMDG 777 Cockpit Preview!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/412156-24jun13-pmdg-777-virtual-cockpit-preview/

Looks amazing, as usual.

I wouldn't read any of the posts after the first, because the very last line from Rob is "Oh... yeah.... when will it be finished? It practically is."

E: Oh man, I just noticed the checklist in the second pic. #flightsim :spergin: mode activate!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 25, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Stupid question, but if I buy the open beta of Huey on DCS, you get the release version when it's done right?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yessir. The Huey is tremendous fun.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I can't figure this out:

I keep refreshing my tracking page for the X52 and pedals I ordered and they're not getting here faster. DAMNIT! I own more DCS than ever before and I'm powerless to be bad at it!

e: Can I uninstall my original LOMAC install after I put on FC3?

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 25, 2013

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Yeah, it only checks it's there for the installation, after that you can uninstall.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
In Rise of Flight news: from June 22nd to the 28th the Sopwith Camel is only $1.99 in celebration of ace John Ingles Gilmour, who was a Sopwith Camel pilot that got 36 out of 39 of his victories in said plane.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Good god I hope the 777 is released this weekend.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Diet Crack posted:

Good god I hope the 777 is released this weekend.

I think they gave more notice than that for the NGX.

Also I'm moving in a couple of weeks and have no time, so I'm selfishly hoping it's later in July. :p

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
http://imgur.com/a/iT2UG

I set a building on FIRE by landing on it's roof. Not sure how.

Linked because I'm that rear end in a top hat using nvidia spanning mode, making screenshots that are 5667x1200.

Anyone else been rocking the Huey with something to show for it?

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 26, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Should the A-10 be able to climb on one engine? A 12.7mm gunner got a lucky shot on my right engine, I dumped external stores and slowly but surely ran out of altitude (was in a valley).

I somehow landed on an uphill slope, any landing you can walk away from I suppose. (I'm like 1nm from a JTAC controller too)

edit: oh yeah, any idea why the left main gear didn't deploy with a right engine failure?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

hobbesmaster posted:

Should the A-10 be able to climb on one engine? A 12.7mm gunner got a lucky shot on my right engine, I dumped external stores and slowly but surely ran out of altitude (was in a valley).

I somehow landed on an uphill slope, any landing you can walk away from I suppose. (I'm like 1nm from a JTAC controller too)

edit: oh yeah, any idea why the left main gear didn't deploy with a right engine failure?

Probably lost a bit more than one engine here. It climbs just fine on one engine, and landing gear would still extend. Does this have an emergency release for landing gear?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The A-10 is woefully underpowered so climbing on one engine is unlikely. Did you lose hydraulics? That could maybe cause a landing gear issue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I did not hit the manual release because all 3 lights were green. Could be a graphics thing? I dunno. Didn't have any hydraulics pressure lights until the ground took away the left wing.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

SocketSeven posted:

Anyone else been rocking the Huey with something to show for it?

Not really. Most of my Huey exploits end up with me burning up in a crater or slowly sinking to the bottom of the ocean. :v:

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

So.....that TM Warthog stick? Yea it feels like using something absurdly high-end just to get all the switches to work using the TM software. It's really only truly plug n play with DCS A-10.

I'm having to really work at getting it all functioning with Falcon BMS.

I'm interested in this stick and have a few newbie questions.

1. Is this a good all around stick for other planes beside the A10?
2. How does the stick actually feel? I've heard the lubricant used is not good or something?
3. Is it usable as a helicopter stick at all?

Like I said, total newbie, but I wanted to get the coolest stick out there to mess around with and the TMW seemed to be the one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

XtraSmiley posted:

I'm interested in this stick and have a few newbie questions.

1. Is this a good all around stick for other planes beside the A10?
2. How does the stick actually feel? I've heard the lubricant used is not good or something?
3. Is it usable as a helicopter stick at all?

Like I said, total newbie, but I wanted to get the coolest stick out there to mess around with and the TMW seemed to be the one.

1. Yes. unbelievably so. You won't be at a loss for functionality
2. Solid, well-built, sturdy, fantastic, etc. It feels every bit of its price. It'll be the last stick and throttle you'll ever need.
3. Just fine as long as you have rudder pedals. By the way, the stick doesn't twist so you'll need rudder pedals.

TARGET is actually easy to use to program the stick and throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

holocaust bloopers posted:

1. Yes. unbelievably so. You won't be at a loss for functionality
2. Solid, well-built, sturdy, fantastic, etc. It feels every bit of its price. It'll be the last stick and throttle you'll ever need.
3. Just fine as long as you have rudder pedals. By the way, the stick doesn't twist so you'll need rudder pedals.

TARGET is actually easy to use to program the stick and throttle.

I'll jump in on this. I just fixed my coolie hat thanks to their tech support, so...

1. Buttons. Buttons for everything. Should be the last joystick you'd ever need.
2. It weighs 14 pounds. It feels solid. The slider on the throttle jitters just a little bit. I've never found a slider that doesn't jitter, and this jitters the least. I've found that the stick itself could be a bit better lubricated, a fact I notice most while flying helicopters. Thrustmaster won't void your warranty if you poke around to grease it better, but keep your receipts or they WILL void your warranty. The stick requires the most force of any stick I've ever used to move, and I like it that way. It makes it feel solid and real, not like a toy.
3. Works great as a chopper stick. use the axis curves.

If you want the best drat HOTAS on the market, the warthog is it. There are far more affordable sticks that can do the job just as well however, and they don't need pedals. Make sure money is not an option, or you are seriously set on flight sims before buying.

TARGET is easy to use but incredibly tedious. Still better then anything else.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 27, 2013