Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Megadyptes posted:

x-plane. it's pretty good at night lighting

No extra plug-ins? I have X-Plane and don't recall it looking that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I assume he has some paid Vegas scenery that actually puts all those lights there. Default XP airports have some lights but are pretty bare in general.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I am a little bit lazy if I'm honest.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Haven't sketched my home cockpit idea yet, but I found some things I want to avoid.

Controls at chin height:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jScb_qisuZs

Sitting wayyyyy too low to see over the glareshield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBgSZIGSjGQ

Display set too high and throttle set aft of the pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6CiQ1XHEuM

How do I avoid these ergonomic pitfalls?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I bet 5 bucks that 2nd one with the glareshield at eye level is because the guy who built that simpit's only experience in a 'cockpit' is flight sims and he doesn't realize that the whole 'granny barely able to see over the dash' default view that's common in sims is only common because they need to set it that way for people without TrackIR who can't easily look down.

As for my solution, I disassembled an old boardroom style desk with drawers on each side and turned the drawers into little hutches on wheels.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 25, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I have that same Brother laser printer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

Haven't sketched my home cockpit idea yet, but I found some things I want to avoid.

Controls at chin height:

Sitting wayyyyy too low to see over the glareshield:

Display set too high and throttle set aft of the pilot:

How do I avoid these ergonomic pitfalls?

Pick your desk first. Measure the desk height, and plan your chair around that. Once you have the chair to desk distances set, put the rudder pedals in a comfortable location, and make sure you have room for that. Then (and only then,) plan the HOTAS locations. They should be where your hands fall naturally, but you should also keep in mind that both units need to clear the desk by at least an inch or so through the entire range of motion. I set my throttle to be where my hand falls when it's at ~75% power.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I like what this guy has going on

I'd want the arm consoles to be the same width, and I don't need his racing sim specific stuff. But, I like the rotating design for the stick (I do have two throttles afterall) and the seat on sliding rails concept.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any plans for another newbie night any time. They look like fun from the outside.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Has anyone messed around with fspassenger? I know FSE is all the rage and passenger looks like an offline version of it, but I'm wondering if it's any good for both GA planes and heavies.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

TheMirage posted:

Has anyone messed around with fspassenger? I know FSE is all the rage and passenger looks like an offline version of it, but I'm wondering if it's any good for both GA planes and heavies.

It's fun as hell and I don't regret buying it at all. The voices makes it seem like you aren't flying some empty ghost plane of the damned, plus there are some unadvertised bonuses like keyboard commands to get your copilot to change autopilot settings. There are some bugs though, e.g. tires blow really easily and then you get penalized. I started with the FSX Mooney and worked up to a Cessna 340 and then Saab 340 so yes, it supports GA and commercial. Have you tried the free demo?

e: The simulated failures are also pretty exciting. You can set the probability that they'll happen so you can turn them off, but compared to stock FSX failures where you know ahead of time what's going to break because you told it to fail a particular system, having stuff go bad at random is more fun. It also models the 'career' part around the random failures it sends you so if you abort a take-off because your engine RPMs weren't good it doesn't ding you for failing to make the flight, it rewards you for paying attention and doing the safe thing.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 27, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That sounds awesome but is there a way to make it multiplayer and also a way for it to still let me to fly in a way that would make Jeb cry while still making money?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'd like to be able to play as a passenger, turn the air condition blower and call the cabin crew for some more red wine.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Press F to order another tiny vodka please.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
There's a button for showing in-flight movies :3:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Considering an LCD TV for my main display for flight sims only. 1080p gonna work well enough with virtual cockpits?

I worry about being able to run a 4k at acceptable frame rates.

Thinking around 55." Maybe a little less.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 27, 2016

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

My GTX760 4gb runs p3dv2 at 4k with no issues :spergin:

DCS similarly gives good performance. I think VRAM is the key - I wouldn't go lower.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If anyone's interested check out the Carenado Baron 58TC conversion I did. It's in my dropbox in the plane upgrade packs folder. I linked it in the FSE thread. Switches out the NA engines for the Continental TSIO-520 Turbocharged. They were detuned to 301HP and a max RPM of 2600 due to noise abatement poo poo introduced in 1980 but it still flies way better than the stock version.

It also comes with my little carbheatauto thing that corrects the fact that FSX is dumb and ices fuel injected engines even when they shouldn't be able to ice and there's no way to deal with it. (no loss of engine performance with this) and also a better .air file by Milton Shupe, that guy that seems to be able to give anything he touches an awesome flight model. His FM tweaks don't do a ton but they make the stall behavior a lot less dumb.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

Considering an LCD TV for my main display for flight sims only. 1080p gonna work well enough with virtual cockpits?

I worry about being able to run a 4k at acceptable frame rates.

Thinking around 55." Maybe a little less.

I have 1080p now and I've used 1440p before. There is a noticeable increase in cockpit label readability with 1440p.
I'm not sure how many TV's there are with 1440 resolution, but if there are I would recommend that. Increased readability without too much performance hit.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One of the best things about fspassenger is that unlike every other stupid spergy flightsim addon there's an option for "Give me all the money I just wanna screw around with my PMDG plane".

That and flying around the congo or whatever and getting shot at is funny.

edit: the writing gets a bit stale with the flight attendant but I thought it was pretty funny.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

lobsterminator posted:

I have 1080p now and I've used 1440p before. There is a noticeable increase in cockpit label readability with 1440p.
I'm not sure how many TV's there are with 1440 resolution, but if there are I would recommend that. Increased readability without too much performance hit.

How bad are we talking, at 1080p?

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but 1440 is monitor - only territory and they're just not big enough

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 28, 2016

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

How bad are we talking, at 1080p?

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but 1440 is monitor - only territory and they're just not big enough

Like I said, I currently use 1080p and it's quite alright. I'm sure you'll manage just fine with it. The readability is mostly ever an issue when you're studying a new plane and don't remember the cockpit yet. With a plane you know you don't need to read knob labels too much.

4K would probably feel like heaven, but it would be good to be able to try it out first and see how the performance is.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Prepar3d has the "mute on lost focus" setting that when disabled keeps sound playing when you're in another window. However, when planes use custom sound engines (not sure what they should be called) they always mute when alt-tabbing. Like the Aerosoft A320 mutes completely and some planes mute partially. Is there a way to keep all sounds playing in the background? I like to have my planes humming even if I'm watching a movie etc.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I wish regular FSX had an option to keep the sound on when tabbed out. there's sound stream but gently caress am I paying 10 quid just for that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
One of the guys I'm still actually talking to in FSE mentioned that Air Hauler 2 is coming out and it looks interesting, and rumor has it there's going to be multiplayer.

One thing that baffles me though is the stock market addon. Why does a flight sim addon need a stock market?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

One of the guys I'm still actually talking to in FSE mentioned that Air Hauler 2 is coming out and it looks interesting, and rumor has it there's going to be multiplayer.

One thing that baffles me though is the stock market addon. Why does a flight sim addon need a stock market?

Live commodity prices? Same reason they include live weather updates is my guess, unless it's an isolated in-game stock market in which case maybe it's the apocalyptic convergence of every game becoming EVE Online.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

That's a day one purchase for me but its been "coming out" since 2013 so don't get excited yet. He was talking about crafting at one point so maybe you can sell poo poo.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Gonna stram a KBOS to KDCA and back trip tonight over here http://twitch.tv/kilonum2 starting in about 10 minutes

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Daimo posted:

That's a day one purchase for me but its been "coming out" since 2013 so don't get excited yet. He was talking about crafting at one point so maybe you can sell poo poo.

Came here to post this.. ah2 has been coming soon since I bought ah1 about 2 years ago.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The urge struck me for the first time in something like three years. Dug out an RJ-70 I bought ways back, installed FSX:SE for the first time, threw in demo Warsaw and Gdansk sceneries and flew back and forth. I honestly do not understand why I find this fun and it's iritating and confounding, also since now I want an X52, P3D v3, ActiveSky, VoxAtc, MyTrafficX, trackIR, a bunch of sceneries, maybe an A320 and hey an E170 while I'm at it, a beastly PC to run this and another one for the map apps and a gently caress off huge screen, please send help.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
There's a sale on some flight games on Steam, what should I buy if all I have is FSX and X-Plane 10?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Honestly, you shouldn't buy any FSX addons from Steam unless you're 100% sure you wont want to use them in Prepar3D. Wait until the next sale on addons outside of steam, with a few rare exceptions they all work with the steam edition.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shouldn't ActiveSky be able to hook into either?

edit: P3D and FSX I mean.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 9, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

SoapyTarantula posted:

he means buying addons as steam DLC ie this poo poo http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/314160/ instead of buying them outside of steam where you can use them wherever you want and not be tied into just the steam version.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

SoapyTarantula posted:

ASN has two separate clients because P3D handles weather a bit differently than FSX.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

EvilJoven posted:

ASN has two separate clients because P3D handles weather a bit differently than FSX.

But you only have to pay for it once.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Megadyptes posted:

he means buying addons as steam DLC ie this poo poo http://store.steampowered.com/dlc/314160/ instead of buying them outside of steam where you can use them wherever you want and not be tied into just the steam version.

EvilJoven posted:

Oh, that makes sense I suppose.

Also kind of strange that ASN isn't on Steam anymore, seeing as that's where I got it.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I see it here http://store.steampowered.com/app/364340/ doesn't appear to be in the actual fsx store page dlc list though, seen that with a few dlcs on other games recently.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sequel to Flight, and FSX coming in 2016 from Dovetail.

http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2016/feb/11/dovetail-games-presents-the-flight-simulators-of-the-future

Must confess to not holding my breath. (Bringing FSX to 64bit will be glorious)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

yeah it's been rumoured for a while. I don't trust dovetail with anything.