Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

yeah it's been rumoured for a while. I don't trust dovetail with anything.

I don't think anyone expected two sims out though. That's the part that surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It doesn't surprise me at all.

One will be the new(er) MS Flight with DTG's name on it and sold through Steam. The other will be FSX with a bit more lipstick and DTGs name on it and sold through Steam.

I also suspect that DTG will play the rent seeker and either charge developers absurd amounts of money for the privilege of making addons for either one, or simply keep development in house and charge an arm and a leg for models that are of lesser quality than a lot of the better freeware out there these days.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

it just sounds like flight school is a hugely scaled down version, not exactly two completely separate sims

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So there's apparently a multiplayer capable firefighting addon for FSX/P3D.

http://secure.simmarket.com/lorby-si-firefighter-x-fsx-p3d.phtml

The only reason why I'm not buying it right now is because if I do I won't leave the house today and it's a holiday so I should be spending it with my wife.

EDIT: This also means I now have a use for CMN5, the water bomber airbase I made for FSX thats in the middle of nowhere.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 15, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If it isn't a buggy mess then holy poo poo that's gonna be fun.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What the hell is this from?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Soapy if you buy it before I do let us know if it's good. I'll probably pick it up Friday, if not earlier.

I mean, if you look at the feature list it can even use real time fire information from NASA.

This poo poo looks *fun*.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I want an agent orange based addon. gotta kill them loving trees

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

quote:

Flight simulation has always been important in the world of gaming but it hasn’t kept up - the core experience hasn’t progressed since the launch of Microsoft’s Flight Simulator X back in 2006 and that means we’ve missed at least one or maybe even two generations of players who would have adored flight simming, but for whom it wasn’t appropriate. Our aim is to get back to that place, to restore the former glory of flight simulation as an enjoyable and engaging pastime.

"We do not acknowledge the competition."

quote:

Consumers today expect a much slicker experience across all genres. They want simulations that are realistic but also accessible

read: paywall

quote:

They want to be led to a place where the focus can be on reaching great levels of accomplishment, rather than struggling to get to grips with the operational aspects.

Completely failing to understand the market: operational aspects ARE the accomplishment.

Expect another MS:Flight.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's a sim out there that focused on levels of accomplishment instead of operational aspects, it was called PilotWings on the SNES.

And yes this is totally going to be MS Flight with their name on it. I mean I bet it will be the exact same product.

Someone buy that firefighting addon and tell me if its good.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

MrYenko posted:

The measure of Man and Woman: Human Factors in design
It is a fun book that just about any engineer and designer should have. I picked up a copy in college when I thought I gave a gently caress about automotive engineering and possibly living in Dearborn Michigan. NASA also published a ton of papers about human ergonomics that I can't find on my old college laptop, but they pretty much spell out everything in this book and then some when it comes to NASA spec. sight lines, ergonomics, weight, resistance etc.

Anybody that wants to design v-good sperg-pits need to consider their body dimensions and work back from there, doing lots of simple wood mock ups is incredibly helpful, and if you're ok with using 8020, it is perhaps some of the best prototyping poo poo out there. My situation is mostly made up of a Summit Racing racing car seat with fore and aft adjustment, 8020 side rails for my bullshit on sliders, and my desk is one of those height adjustable electronic jammies because my wife won't allow me to have multiple sperg-stations for different activities.
More bits and bobs: http://imgur.com/a/XnNH9

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Daimo posted:

"We do not acknowledge the competition."

read: paywall

Completely failing to understand the market: operational aspects ARE the accomplishment.

Expect another MS:Flight.

The proper way to make something more accessible would be to improve the UI.
Like having a virtual instructor that guides you through a checklist and having the interface hilight and point you to a knob/button you have to press.
A basic Cessna requires so few things to get going that there's really no need to skip the operation, only to guide the beginner better.

And pretty much all the complex planes are really boring to fly and, as you said, the operation is the fun part.

I'm not too confident in Dovetail making anything good out of this, but it's still good to have some changes in the business. Pushing more people to switch to P3D or XP will be good, at least.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Looks like The Measure of Man, by Dreyfuss and associates.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So here's my review of Firefighter X.

It's good. Not perfect but really solidly good.

I haven't tried multiplayer but single player is simple. Load in to your sim, run Firefighter X, it generates random fires, ones you specifically place or you can download current forest fire data from NASA. When downloading NASA data you basically select the region and radius from your position and it downloads the list and you select the ones you want to load.

Load a ton of fires and it murders the poo poo out of your framerate, so you might want to just have the one fire you're going to fight.

Fires can build up, spread, die down, move with the wind. Works as advertised. The visuals aren't superb or anything but it does the job.

It simulates carrying your water/retardant load by filling the seats in FSX with the load evenly distributed. This does mean your plane flies fat and slow before drop and when you drop get the cool effect of your plane being trimmed way way too nose up.

You can load water from the airport at a water truck it spawns or load up by flying over water below whatever threshold you set. I set mine to 1' so Id basically have to touch down. Good for the 215 or Goose or any other amphib.

If you load up in a plane with less capacity than the default, a warning popup appears asking you if you want to set the maximum load to the max of whatever you're flying.

If you ignore this warning, popup because its on a different screen and do a scoop fill, it throws the default 12000lbs into the back of your Goose and trust me, a Goose does not handle well skimming across the water with 12000lbs suddenly thrown in the back.

If you want to play firefighter, get this. I'd love to try multiplayer.

Oh, also, if you fly too close to the fire your engines will go up.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

EvilJoven posted:

Oh, also, if you fly too close to the fire your engines will go up.

Now imagining this + the PMDG JS41

:supaburn:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Totally sold me on the fire fighting thingy.

Kilonum posted:

Now imagining this + the PMDG JS41

:supaburn:

:frogon:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 20, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

FSX:SE problem. I click 'play' and nothing, shows me as in game briefly but nothing else. I click it again and if I'm lucky I get the splash screen which usually stays there for 4-5 seconds before pissing off and leaving me with blue balls. A third time and if I'm lucky it actually loads up the main menu and everything is fine. Sometimes I have to run the program about 5-6 times to get the main screen up. What the poo poo is going on? There's nothing in the event viewer, nothing wrong with the logbook file as I've tried reparing it and renaming it to generate a new one but still the same. It does eventually load up and everything's fine but it's a bit annoying having to go through this routine every time. anyone got any ideas?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've had that happen ever since I bought REX from Steam. It'll usually take 2-3 tries before it actually launches. Its really loving annoying and weird because non-steam REX didn't cause the issue.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

LordPants posted:

Totally sold me on the fire fighting thingy.

:frogon:

JS41 engines will ignite in the wrong way if you don't do the proper start procedure.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Kilonum posted:

JS41 engines will ignite in the wrong way if you don't do the proper start procedure.

1. Install JS41
2. Start engines like any others, hey, it's a plane, w/e
3. Use reverse because pushback is for chumps
4. OH GOD WE ARE ALL ON FIRE WHY ARE WE ALL ON FIRE

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It took me for ever to work out how to toggle the loving blades.

But since I did it's probably equal favourite with the MD-11.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The only PMDG plane for FSX I do not currently have installed is the 747-400, and that's more because it is the only one I have a physical copy of... which I cannot find.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 21, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only reason I didn't buy the 737 and 777 is I only get 20 fps or so in the JS41 so I assumed i'd get like 10 fps in the 737

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I actually get better frame rates with the 777 and 737 than with the JS41

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilonum posted:

I actually get better frame rates with the 777 and 737 than with the JS41

I did not need to know that, good sir.

*gets out wallet*

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Still waiting on them to port the loving thing to P3D or discontinue it like when they smothered the MD-11 in its sleep.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjJFCaA2CKE

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

LordPants posted:

I did not need to know that, good sir.

*gets out wallet*

Yeah, the new ones are optimized much better.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I finally bought the RealAir Duke and based on a quick first flight it's awesome. You could feel the quality from the configuration settings utility alone.

I wanted something a bit better compared to my Alabeo PA32, but still in the same size class.

It's funny how (at least my) simming goes. For a long time I flew mostly Dash-8 and 737NX and the like, but for the past couple of months I've gone back to GA exclusively. I like that it's not a progression from GA to airliners and then you sperg there for the rest of your life. They are different enough categories that they are basically two different sims and when you get tired of one you can go back to the other.

drat, I wish I could get a pilots license one day. I'm 203cm (6'8") so fitting into airplanes will probably be an issue. No C152 for me, at least.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I fit into a supercub at 6'4" then you shouldn't have much of an issue with something like a 172.

I agree that its almost like two different sims between GA and tubecraft. Every now and then I'll jump into a jetliner and go all out flying by instruments for a small break from my VFR comfort zone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is DCS MiG-21 as good as the rest of the DCS lot? I was looking into grabbing it and pretending to work for Draken International.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
People like it a lot, yes. I should fire it up some day.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Which sim best allows me to do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbBZf4VWuZM

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

chitoryu12 posted:

Is DCS MiG-21 as good as the rest of the DCS lot? I was looking into grabbing it and pretending to work for Draken International.

It's one of the best modules, right up there with the A-10C.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Holy shnikes, it obviously works best with VR goggles, but I am beyond excited about this thing for flight sims. Total, total interaction with those 3D DCS style cockpits. You can place it on the desktop and use it that way as well. The future is here. for $30 shipped. What a toy!

Peep the video. If this doesn't get your creative juices flowing about the future of flight sim VR, nothing will. :gizz::hf::circlefap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX5mMfhRjJo&t=2560s

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

oh hey it's the gesture controlled radio from hitchhiker's

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

Holy shnikes, it obviously works best with VR goggles, but I am beyond excited about this thing for flight sims. Total, total interaction with those 3D DCS style cockpits. You can place it on the desktop and use it that way as well. The future is here. for $30 shipped. What a toy!

Peep the video. If this doesn't get your creative juices flowing about the future of flight sim VR, nothing will. :gizz::hf::circlefap:

My issue with this is the same issue I have with lovely modern buttony or touchscreen centre consoles in cars - there is no feedback so you have to look at it to see what you're doing. Obviously it's a very, very nice start and I'll probably get it (especially for the price), but I can get really frustrated with no tactile feedback.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I gave up with the trackclip pro that's been held together with blu-tac for the past couple of months and am now using the hat reflector thing I took one look at years ago and left in the box. it works pretty drat good but the fact that I'm wearing a drat hat indoors is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Megadyptes posted:

I gave up with the trackclip pro that's been held together with blu-tac for the past couple of months and am now using the hat reflector thing I took one look at years ago and left in the box. it works pretty drat good but the fact that I'm wearing a drat hat indoors is annoying.

I can't recommend http://www.delanengineering.com/ enough.
I have the one with a battery pack so I can velcro to my wireless headphones to ditch the tether