Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AnimalChin posted:

Does this ever go on sale? $50 for one plane, man ...

LOL look at this guy who hasn't spent thousands on aircraft and terrain for ten year old game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

LOL look at this guy who hasn't spent thousands on aircraft and terrain for ten year old game.

Bought it for 50% off around Christmas, so that is one time of the year it is on sale. With the free Ireland Scenery given away in March I've been flying around the UK and Ireland in the A2A Cessna.
Reading this thread gives great information, I bought Active Sky on recommendations from here. But if you can wait you will not have to have your firstborn selling matches on the street to afford all the bells and whistles...

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Phi230 posted:

The game looks like it was released like 6 years ago on a console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCj8NgcFmtI

Here's a video from 2012, when the game was called CarrierOps... for the Xbox. Looks like this is some sort of a cancelled project that got continued later.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eatfgXTMFf0

Austin/X-Plane is being patent trolled.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have a bunch of parts coming to me in the mail so that I can make my own radio stack and ignition/battery/lights panel

:getin:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I have a bunch of parts coming to me in the mail so that I can make my own radio stack and ignition/battery/lights panel

:getin:

Sounds fun, post a how to because I hate my Saitek panels.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I have one that's been stuck in progress for a few months while I do real life stuff avoid optimising the code to make it respond fast enough.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I've thought about making my own switchbox for flight/race simming in the past but am bad at DIY poo poo and have no experience with electronics and soldering. How hard is it for a complete idiot like myself to make one of these things?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Daimo posted:

Sounds fun, post a how to because I hate my Saitek panels.

What's so bad about them? They look really nice.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Megadyptes posted:

I've thought about making my own switchbox for flight/race simming in the past but am bad at DIY poo poo and have no experience with electronics and soldering. How hard is it for a complete idiot like myself to make one of these things?

For the radio stack (my first project), it's a little more complicated, and I'm using a little Arduino microcontroller to handle it, but if you just want to make a panel of switches, you could get this:

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2040/

And then a bunch of these:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/mts-4pc/spdt-on-on-mini-toggle-switch/1.html

And voila, the switches will act as additional joystick buttons.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Keep the thread posted on your progress. I've been thinking about a similar project and would love to see how you do it.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

The knobs aren't 1:1 - they're more like .7:1

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

AnimalChin posted:

The biggest issue is the drivers suck, and SPAD (the alternative) seems to have stopped being developed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you're willing to put slightly more effort in to it the Teensy microcontrollers come with templates for USB HID operation where you just need to write a small bit of code to associate actual inputs with USB signals for about half the price of one of those premade boards. I built a two player 8-way + 6 button arcade panel in about an hour with one of those. You can even get 'em at Microcenter if you have one nearby.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

wolrah posted:

If you're willing to put slightly more effort in to it the Teensy microcontrollers come with templates for USB HID operation where you just need to write a small bit of code to associate actual inputs with USB signals for about half the price of one of those premade boards. I built a two player 8-way + 6 button arcade panel in about an hour with one of those. You can even get 'em at Microcenter if you have one nearby.

Sweet, I had my eyes on getting an Arduino Micro (http://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/a000053) for my switch panel, but this looks to be a cheaper option.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

COOL CORN posted:

Sweet, I had my eyes on getting an Arduino Micro (http://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/a000053) for my switch panel, but this looks to be a cheaper option.

The Teensy HID mode is even exposed through the Arduino IDE, so if you're familiar with Arduino you're about 95% of the way there.

Here's the code I used with my setup, not very many comments but I think it's pretty much self-documenting.

https://github.com/wolrah/TeensyArcade/blob/master/TeensyArcade/TeensyArcade.ino

I tweaked their headers to make it show the exact number of buttons I wanted and name the USB device, but that's not necessary.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
If you're willing to solder a bit more you can also gut a keyboard and with some relays and other bits make one panel from scratch.
I've made one simple panel with five buttons to prototype the connections and it works fine, i just have to get motivated to design a new panel and buy more buttons/relays.
I just bought a new HOTAS to play Elite and dont feel the need for more buttons at the moment.
If you want i can take some pictures of the connections when i get home.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Did anyone drop the money for the XP 10 PMDG DC-6? How does it compare to their FSX stuff?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Most of the FSX:SE DLCs are on sale until the 23rd. Ranging from 20% to 70% off.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

SoapyTarantula posted:

Most of the FSX:SE DLCs are on sale until the 23rd. Ranging from 20% to 70% off.

Unless I'm missing something, only the game itself is 70% off. The DLC that are reduced are almost all 50%. Which is still not bad.

Any recommendations?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Active Sky Next & Accufeel for sure. Though if you want to use them with P3D I believe buying from the Steam store locks them to only FSX:SE.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

With the summer sale coming up, is DCS Flaming cliffs 3 worth it if it happens to go on sale?

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If it goes to like $15 or less then yeah I feel that's worth it. They're all fun but simple (no clickspot) cockpits, so I hope you have a lot of buttons.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

SoapyTarantula posted:

If it goes to like $15 or less then yeah I feel that's worth it. They're all fun but simple (no clickspot) cockpits, so I hope you have a lot of buttons.

Bah, think i'll keep my eyes on the migs, mustang and blackshark then.

Edit: Wanted a clickable cockpit F-15 or SU-27 but It doesnt seem like they exist?

Dead Like Rev fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 17, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I heard things about the F15 and something else getting a clickable cockpit patch a long time ago. But it never happened and probably never will.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

SoapyTarantula posted:

I heard things about the F15 and something else getting a clickable cockpit patch a long time ago. But it never happened and probably never will.

Oh well, I can look forward to the F-14 and F-5 and the "Lets not talk about it" F/A-18 right?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Dead Like Rev posted:

Oh well, I can look forward to the F-14 and F-5 and the "Lets not talk about it" F/A-18 right?

You could play a fairly well done F/A-18 in Falcon BMS right now if you're itching for something different.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Skoll posted:

You could play a fairly well done F/A-18 in Falcon BMS right now if you're itching for something different.

Trying to use my rift, cause I'm a scrub and don't have a track IR. I'm working on setting up my x-55 and CH pedals for DCS so i'll stick to it with the rift.

On another note, http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/?SHOWALL_1=1 It looks like some of the DCS stuff is on sale here, kinda eye balling that M-2000C

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Big news week this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFOUKCO4w0I

If you don't watch the highlights are:

:siren: A2A are making a Connie with Captain of the Ship style upgrades:siren:
ActiveSky and REX are just going head-to-head now, complete weather replacements look like the order of the day
Also, REX is putting out an upgrade pack for every default FSX airport!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Big news week this week:

If you don't watch the highlights are:

:siren: A2A are making a Connie with Captain of the Ship style upgrades:siren:
ActiveSky and REX are just going head-to-head now, complete weather replacements look like the order of the day
Also, REX is putting out an upgrade pack for every default FSX airport!

Lots of cool stuff coming this year.
Those REX clouds looked amazing but you can't really trust a trailer. They might have just picked the couple of perfect moments.
To go against ActiveSky you would need something really good, so here's hoping.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
Rogue System is in the Steam sale for $23.99

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
XP 10 DLC on Steam is all about 33% off. Mostly Caranado planes and some airports.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Which of the FSX:SE DLC is cool and good to pick up during the sale?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you think you might ever switch to P3D don't buy dlc from steam get it third party.

If not day 1 purchase is active sky next and accu-feel.

Edit: I'm poo poo at spelling.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 27, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

EvilJoven posted:

If you think you might ever switch to P3D don't but dlc from steam get it third party.

What?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you buy stuff as Steam DLC for FSX you can only use them for FSX. If you later on want to switch to Prepar3D you have to buy them again.

Most addons can be used for both FSX Steam and Prepar3D if you buy them outside of steam (ASN, OrbX airports and other scenery, Accu-Feel etc). IIRC only A2A and PMDG make you pay more for the option.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

IIRC only A2A and PMDG make you pay more for the option.

Which has fueled many an angry internet rant.

EvilJoven posted:

If not day 1 purchase is active sky next and accu-feel.

Next would be REX Texture Direct and REX Soft Clouds.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Coming in to second (or third?) the ASN -> REX purchase priority. Active Sky and REX are both planning on making stuff that do the same thing, but for now Active Sky Next, REX Texture Direct, and REX Soft Clouds are probably the only addons I won't play without anymore.

Rough cloud comparisons from some screenshots I've taken.

ASN & REX Texture Direct, but no soft clouds.

ASN & Rex Texture Direct, with soft clouds.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Is there a generally accepted 'best practice' to immersing yourself into the flight sim world in preparation to pursuing your Private Pilot's license? I know that flight simming is in no way a replacement for hands on stick experience, but I'm interested in starting the process and want to become at least familiar with stuff like ATC operations, ILS approaches, radio communications, etc before I even start down that road but it seems to me that even the most newbie-friendly trainers consist mostly of clicking 'Fly Now' and it dumping you onto a ramp where you kinda just have to 'figure it out'.

Am I wrong on that?

Edit: I'm more than passingly familiar with flight/combat sims in general, but I want to go as close to 'By the book' as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Subscribe to PilotEdge if you want ATC practice.