Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Anyone here use a Rift with DCS World? If so, what do you use as a replacement for mouse 1, to toggle switches etc. in-cockpit? Would be awesome if they allowed you to use the Oculus Remote but that's not supported apparently. I don't especially want to have to use my mouse while in VR, but I can't find the binding in controls - can you actually rebind that function?

There is an additional section under controls where vehicles are listed called UI Layer which has mouse buttons and zoom etc.

Bind them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Logitech just bought up Saitek, guess they want to get back into the sim peripheral game.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/logitech-branches-into-pc-flight-sim-peripherals-a/1100-6443638/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Maybe a good thing? Hopefully they introduce some better quality control.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Maybe a good thing? Hopefully they introduce some better quality control.

I like logitech mice, but if their last joystick is anything to go by (the G940), it could be worse than saitek.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Burno posted:

I like logitech mice, but if their last joystick is anything to go by (the G940), it could be worse than saitek.

Very true.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
My logitec twist rudder game still strong despite hundreds of hours leaning on it instead of using trim.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Their entry level stuff has always seemed adequate, but their entry into the higher end product range was a disaster with the G940. Really cool design with poor reliability and support.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The Extreme 3D Pro, or whatever it's called, is a pretty fantastic stick for the price. I have high hopes :)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Logitech just make good peripherals in general, I look forward to their new sticks with the recently bought out Saitek.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah I definitely wouldn't count them out.

They sent me 3 different G940s and eventually refunded me in full without any fuss. They stand by their stuff and I've enjoyed a lot of their products.

(plus when the G940 actually worked it was really cool)

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Logitech has always been my favorite brand for peripherals so I think it could definitely be a good thing.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
They also arnt teetering on the edge of bankruptcy like Mad Catz, so may actually send you your RMA replacement without needing to find a buyer for your broken one first.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

The Extreme 3D Pro, or whatever it's called, is a pretty fantastic stick for the price. I have high hopes :)

I'm still using my original 3D Pro and it's probably over 10 years old now.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Snaxx posted:

They also arnt teetering on the edge of bankruptcy like Mad Catz.

They got what they deserved.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Well, this means that the next time I see the HOTAS Warthog for $299 on Newegg's Shell Shocker, I might bite. I think Saitek's existence was the only thing that made that kind of sale happen.

Of course, I've also got a relatively low-number Cougar I rarely ever use, and it's going fine.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 17, 2016

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey, quick reminder that Flight Angels is going on right now.

Watch dudes fly planes
support kids charities
win prizes?

http://flight-angels.com/

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Jonny Nox posted:

Hey, quick reminder that Flight Angels is going on right now.

Watch dudes fly planes
support kids charities
win prizes?

http://flight-angels.com/

And World Flight this year is November 5 - 12th

http://www.worldflight.com.au/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've been looking up various single engine prop planes and making crazy noises like "huh that isn't THAT expensive" and similar absurd noises when checking out pilot license prices. Luckily I snap back to reality in time but a byproduct is that I have developed a bit of a crush on the civvy planes Cessna Caravan and the DHC Otter twin. I then made the mistake of checking what default aircraft FSX has and found the Caravan and now I'm pretty sure I'm hosed. I compounded my error of watching FSMania on youtube and now I think I'm going to have to spend a bit of time once I have a bit of available money to live out my bushpilot fantasies.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Carth Dookie posted:

I've been looking up various single engine prop planes and making crazy noises like "huh that isn't THAT expensive" and similar absurd noises when checking out pilot license prices. Luckily I snap back to reality in time but a byproduct is that I have developed a bit of a crush on the civvy planes Cessna Caravan and the DHC Otter twin. I then made the mistake of checking what default aircraft FSX has and found the Caravan and now I'm pretty sure I'm hosed. I compounded my error of watching FSMania on youtube and now I think I'm going to have to spend a bit of time once I have a bit of available money to live out my bushpilot fantasies.

As long as you don't lookup A2A Cessna's you'll be fine.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dem prices. :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

InevitableCheese posted:

As long as you don't lookup A2A Cessna's you'll be fine.

What are you trying to say, because the A2A 172 trainer is dope as hell and I will fight you if you think otherwise

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't get your pilots license. It is a rabbit hole that goes deep.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't have $25+ thousand dollars so it's not an issue.

Edit:

I know FSX is a bit old and fragile and requires mods to really be decent nowadays, but is it possible/practical to get the steam version and then mod that or would I be better off getting it elsewhere?

For reference, I'm mostly only interested in the Cessna Grand Caravan for the time being, and would probably want to just fly that (maybe pretty it up a bit), get some decent weather effects and maybe download some interesting areas to fly it, and possibly do some kind of mod that sims missions for it for like a bush pilot company thing. Later I might do something similar with a Twin Otter.

Edit2:

Lol who buys all that.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 23, 2016

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I've had no issues with the Steam version, and most decent sites let you know if their mods are compatible. Make sure to do your research on any Steam add-on's, they are iffy from what I have seen/heard. If you do buy them, get them on sale, they tend to be crazy cheap a couple times a year. And I only meant to say that the A2A planes are amazing, and you will lose all of your money if you watch their preview videos. I'm hoping to get their Cessna packages someday.

As for weather, get Rex 3 with Overdrive, or look into the Orbx line of add-ons.

How much are pilots licenses in everyone's area? I talked to a school here and I can get mine for $8k. Rental fees for a Cessna 172 are $100/hour with no overnight fees if your rental is scheduled long enough beforehand. :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Carth Dookie posted:

Edit2:

Lol who buys all that.

I'm glad I don't have the Steam version so I don't have to think about how much money I spent.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Carth Dookie posted:

Edit2:

Lol who buys all that.

That's just the tip of the iceburg

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

Don't get your pilots license. It is a rabbit hole that goes deep.

I decided to get mine because "that would be a fun thing to do" now 4 years later and here I am sitting in my first airline ground school after quitting my job, finishing up a degree in aviation, being a CFI for a year, lol.

e:

InevitableCheese posted:

How much are pilots licenses in everyone's area? I talked to a school here and I can get mine for $8k. Rental fees for a Cessna 172 are $100/hour with no overnight fees if your rental is scheduled long enough beforehand. :v:

Depends how quickly you learn, how dedicated to studying you are, and how often you can fly, but anywhere from 8-15k seems to be the average.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 23, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm afraid mine might cost more than planned because trying to get my tests in at the same time as taking possession of a house has turned in to a loving nightmare. I cancelled my flight test that I was supposed to do Wednesday because I was complete poo poo at flying when I went to practice/pretest Tuesday and I'm so busy doing house poo poo and spending all my money that I don't know if I'll have money to fly when I finally get moved in and the house rewired.

Don't get your pilots license.

simble
May 11, 2004

Counterpoint, get your pilots license, it's fun.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

simble posted:

Counterpoint, get your pilots license, it's fun.

This is the right answer, having money is overrated.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
As soon as this house BS is sorted out the fact that I couldn't do my test is the perfect excuse for more flying this winter and apparently winter flying is loving ace.

The one time I got to fly when it was like 13c out holy poo poo the climb rate.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I decided to get mine because "that would be a fun thing to do" now 4 years later and here I am sitting in my first airline ground school after quitting my job, finishing up a degree in aviation, being a CFI for a year, lol.

e:

Depends how quickly you learn, how dedicated to studying you are, and how often you can fly, but anywhere from 8-15k seems to be the average.

Is 40 years old too late to do this?

:/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AnimalChin posted:

Is 40 years old too late to do this?

:/

Not at all, I'm 31 and just getting started. Understand you will be a little limited in how far you can go because of the mandatory 65 retirement age, but in the current environment you'll still be able to do pretty drat well.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Do people still have VATSIM meetups?

Is Flightsim on IRC still a thing?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

No.

Yes.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
These dudes and these dudes do good things.

Also our own Kilonum ^^^ has good streams, too.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What is the practical difference between Prepar3D and FSX for the layman, and is there any reason not to go for Prepar3d other than the literal "no fun allowed rule."

Again, keeping in mind I'd be starting with a Caravan (which I believe Prepar3d doesn't have by default, but I'd be getting a Carenado cargo version anyway), then probably a twin Otter later. As I understand it, Air Hauler isn't 100% compatible at this time (correct me if I'm wrong).

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 25, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

P3D is being actively developed, Lockheed Martin bought the rights to the source code and have added some new poo poo, not sure what as I don't own it but some more fancy graphical poo poo I think and DX10 mode works properly?. Downsides are that some payware addon devs charge more for a separate P3D version of their addons and some poo poo isn't fully compatible I think. Also it costs more I guess.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I would only recommend FSX if you're a cheap bastard who doesn't know if they like the genre yet. You sound like you do and want to invest in a decent setup.

Air Hauler 2 is fully compatible with both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The only reason to use FSX over P3D is if you already have a bunch of stuff for FSX that isn't compatible with P3D (like my entire PMDG fleet, the fuckers).