Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Daimo posted:

Air Hauler 2 is fully compatible with both.

Cool.

I know more or less what I want in terms of planes. I've also read the very fine print and so far it looks like the planes I want are compatible with Prepare3D. I really like the Carenado Caravan Cargomaster addon of all things :psyduck:. Things I'm not sure about yet are scenery/weather/obscure airports. The idea I had in my head was to take a Caravan or Twin Otter, learn it, and then do a flight hop around the world checking out various landmarks and landing at random, obscure airports. Air hauler was just to give me a "reason" to fly everywhere other than just to see stuff. I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Anyone here done something that ambitious/nuts in here with Prepare3D who might have some tips?

Edit:

:stare: well if I learned anything, its that I should probably stick with default airports/freeware textures wherever possible. Jesus H Christ someone wants forty of my actual earth dollars for Alice Springs airport? A random flyspeck of an airport in the middle of nowhere?

In the words of my countrymen: GEEET FUUUUCKED oval office. :australia:

Edit: even sneakier, You need FTX Global Base ($99), Central Australia scenery pack ($55), then and only then can you have the privilege of paying another $40 for said flyspeck airport. :laffo: Heroin would be cheaper.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Heroin would be cheaper.

New thread title?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvjWS0SBgoM

:cripes:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 25, 2016

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So I bought a google cardboard headset and have watched some War Thunder videos and it blew my loving mind. Do any sims other than War Thunder work well with an Oculus?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Colonial Air Force posted:

The only reason to use FSX over P3D is if you already have a bunch of stuff for FSX that isn't compatible with P3D (like my entire PMDG fleet, the fuckers).

Hav posted:

New thread title?

yes

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

AnimalChin posted:

These dudes and these dudes do good things.

Also our own Kilonum ^^^ has good streams, too.

Speaking of, I will be streaming Cross the Pond Eastbound on the 22nd. Current, tentative plan is Boston to Zurich in the PMDG 777.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

e.pilot posted:

So I bought a google cardboard headset and have watched some War Thunder videos and it blew my loving mind. Do any sims other than War Thunder work well with an Oculus?

I'd recommend a Vive over an Oculus if you don't want to support Trump (Palmer Luckey's cash has been going into making Trump memes, $10k I think) and want to do roomscale stuff ever. You can use FlyInside to play FSX and P3D (with Vive you can twizzle all the knobs by hand, for Oculus you'd have to wait for Touch or buy a Leap Motion), and you can play DCS with the Vive. The new IL-2 has VR support, it's not great though at the moment. Not flight sims, but Euro Truck and Dirt Rally support VR. The upcoming space DCS style game, Rogue System, will be getting VR support.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd recommend a Vive over an Oculus if you don't want to support Trump (Palmer Luckey's cash has been going into making Trump memes, $10k I think) and want to do roomscale stuff ever. You can use FlyInside to play FSX and P3D (with Vive you can twizzle all the knobs by hand, for Oculus you'd have to wait for Touch or buy a Leap Motion), and you can play DCS with the Vive. The new IL-2 has VR support, it's not great though at the moment. Not flight sims, but Euro Truck and Dirt Rally support VR. The upcoming space DCS style game, Rogue System, will be getting VR support.

I'm not worried at all about room scale, the only VR stuff I have the faintest interest in are sims and cockpit style games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

e.pilot posted:

I'm not worried at all about room scale, the only VR stuff I have the faintest interest in are sims and cockpit style games.

Then go for an Oculus. Yes, they have scummy business practices, yes they force devs into timed exclusivity, yes their co-founder pumps his money into supporting Trump through racist memes, but it is drat cheaper if you're not going for controllers other than what you've already got. One thing to keep in mind is that you need three USB 3.0 slots for the Oculus, but only one of any USB for the Vive. A USB hub may or may not cut it for the Oculus, but honestly if you're going solely for sims and cockpit style games then Oculus is slightly better quality.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Right now, vive is the better buy hands down. I was "meh" on hand tracking and was all on board on rift, but with the shipping clusterfuck at release, I changed my order to vive, and honestly, hand tracking is really cool, even if I don't use it inside sims.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Are you really trying to tell someone to base a purchase off of what some shitlord does with his money in his private time?

:fuckoff:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skoll posted:

Are you really trying to tell someone to base a purchase off of what some shitlord does with his money in his private time?

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!

(Seriously! Oculus can get hosed)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The solution is not to let your idiot personal politics interfere with your every day choices, especially if it's as loving minor as a video game peripheral.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You sound like an Oculus "investor."

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You caught me red handed. Better go back to curating fursuits for Palmer Lucky now that my cover is blown.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Skoll posted:

OK ignore the Trump thing for a minute;

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Then go for an Oculus. Yes, they have scummy business practices, yes they force devs into timed exclusivity, but it is drat cheaper if you're not going for controllers other than what you've already got. One thing to keep in mind is that you need three USB 3.0 slots for the Oculus, but only one of any USB for the Vive. A USB hub may or may not cut it for the Oculus, but honestly if you're going solely for sims and cockpit style games then Oculus is slightly better quality.

post edited to remove anti Trump stuff. Those are all valid criticisms and people have been advised to avoid trackIR for reasons surrounding their business practices and anti-competition behaviour. It matters to some people.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Skoll posted:

You caught me red handed. Better go back to curating fursuits for Palmer Lucky now that my cover is blown.

C'mon man that was bitch tier trolling

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Forums Terrorist posted:

C'mon man that was bitch tier trolling

It's not trolling to say keep your personal politics out of video games (and peripherals), but everyone has to be a bitch baby so whatever.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

no i mean he was antagonizing you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am mad. MAD about VIDEO GAMES

So how 'bout that DCS. I haven't played it in about six months. Have they integrated the three different executables into one file yet? Does the Nevada map still cost fifty loving dollars?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Sagebrush posted:

I am mad. MAD about VIDEO GAMES

So how 'bout that DCS. I haven't played it in about six months. Have they integrated the three different executables into one file yet? Does the Nevada map still cost fifty loving dollars?

No, yes.

I bought A10-C over the weekend, forgetting I sold my HOTAS and cant find my TrackIR. RIP.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I got the Caravan going from a cold start. Which was even trickier since Prepar3D starts it hot to begin with, so I had to figure out how to send it full cold and go from there. My airfield was shrouded in fog so I could get it off the ground but couldn't navigate back to it. On the other hand I successfully did a barrel roll and even an aerial restart after the engines starved during the roll. Then I landed it in a field and successfully took off again. Man this thing is easy to fly. It just wants to fall onto the ground at the right speed/angle. Doing it onto an actual runway I'm sure will be harder, but yeah :feelsgood:

I suspect the hardest thing will actually be learning to navigate and using the systems to actually get where I want to be.

Edit:

Also I've encountered a weird problem where I can't move the ignition switch in the caravan off. Its permanently stuck on. Anyone had the same problem know how to fix it?

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 26, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You know, WOFF can be rather pretty at times.

http://imgur.com/3LLLh1r

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It's just a shame that to get the improved DX rendering and shaders I'd need to fork out another 40 odd quid for the two expansions.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I wish Prepar3d came with any Cessnas. That's keeping me from buying it :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You don't want to use a default Cessna anyway.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Fair point, but I have the A2A Cessna 172 for FSX and I don't want to have to shell out for that PLUS a whole new flight sim :)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

What? Why?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The default aircraft are all garbage, and not just in the :spergin: not enough dials and buttons way. They do not fly or feel like the real aircraft.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

the 172, maule and goose are OK default planes. a lot of them are pretty garbage though

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Plus COOL CORN said they had the A2A Cessna so I can't imagine going from A2A to a default one.

Have you checked that the FSX A2A doesn't work on P3D even though it is :siren: :siren: :siren: VIOLATION OF THE EULA :siren: :siren: :siren: ?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have maybe an odd request but not sure where else to ask.

I bought a Thrustmaster Hotas X for Elite Dangerous and my son who is four just loves using it to fly the spaceships around.

But he's really obsessed with airplanes, are there any casual flight games that would use that Hotas that he could just casually fly around in if I get him setup? I've been out of the loop since Janes USAF.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
War Thunder is the first thing that comes to mind, unless you are specifically looking for something civilian.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Maybe that Aerofly SF2 thing? No idea if it's any good.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Google Earth has a flight sim mode. It's really primitive but the scenery is amazing because Google Earth.

The original IL-2 Sturmovik is not really casual, but you can get it for cheap from GOG. If you set the realism all the way down it should be manageable depending on your son's age.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I second the War Thunder suggestion also. It's free to play.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don't think a competitive multiplayer game is necessarily the best fit for a four year old.

That said, I don't know what's good for toolin' around. I'd look into Aerofly; presumably it allows you to turn off crashes and stuff.

What we need is a new Flight Unlimited up in this piece. (Microsoft Flight was almost the jam.)

edit: Actually, since he probably doesn't care about cutting edge graphics, look at the cheap old stuff on GoG.com. They have a bunch of those older games with more straightforward flight models, like Strike Commander.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 27, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When my kid was 4 I'd set him up in front of fsx with crashes off and he'd have a ball.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Unless they changed it since I last played, I think you can dick around offline mode against AI or by yourself and shoot guns and drop bombs or whatever would thrill your 4 year old.

I mainly thought of it because you can use a hotas but you can also set it to be super arcadey and swoop the plane around by jerking the stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

BigglesSWE posted:

You know, WOFF can be rather pretty at times.

http://imgur.com/3LLLh1r

Tell me, is it worth the price of entry?
I didn't even realise it was a thing until I saw your screenshot and thought "What is WOFF when this is clearly ROF? Did I miss an expansion?".