Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Colonial Air Force posted:

Maybe that Aerofly SF2 thing? No idea if it's any good.

It's exceedingly pretty. And very good in VR if that's your thing. My kids love it.
Whereas I love having access to a "instantly lift me up 500ft" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Jiblet posted:

Tell me, is it worth the price of entry?
I didn't even realise it was a thing until I saw your screenshot and thought "What is WOFF when this is clearly ROF? Did I miss an expansion?".
I bought the 1.0 release and it's pretty neat. You also need a copy of Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3 as it's basically a very well done total conversion. Price is a bit steep for my liking, I got it on sale when it was a bit cheaper a few years ago, and also I don't like how they made it so you have to buy the expansions to get the core game updates which makes it even more pricey.

the career mode is a lot better than ROF, flight model felt a bit easier, quite a big selection of planes and squadrons and a good variety of missions. The graphics are alright (in the 1.0 release) but nothing compared to ROF. expansion 2 or 3 added better DX rendering but as it's based on a pretty old engine there's only really so much you can do graphically.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have maybe an odd request but not sure where else to ask.

I bought a Thrustmaster Hotas X for Elite Dangerous and my son who is four just loves using it to fly the spaceships around.

But he's really obsessed with airplanes, are there any casual flight games that would use that Hotas that he could just casually fly around in if I get him setup? I've been out of the loop since Janes USAF.

Il-2 1946 with the realism settings turned down (no stalls, simplified engine management, arcade mode flight model, etc) would be fun if he likes to shoot guns and fly a lot of different planes.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Wikipedia Brown posted:

What we need is a new Flight Unlimited up in this piece.
I played the poo poo out of Flight Unlimited 2 back in the day. rip Looking Glass

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

tater_salad posted:

When my kid was 4 I'd set him up in front of fsx with crashes off and he'd have a ball.

This pretty much

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just doing a flight in the Majestic Q400 Pro into Innsbruck, about to take off, landing should be in ~90 minutes

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Gonna try a couple of these! And yeah it sucks MS Flight never caught on. I enjoyed the beta of that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I feel like I've asked this before, but what would you guys say your top 3 non-aircraft addons for FSX would be?

I'm trying to decide on my next purchase (all I've bought is A2A Cessna 172) now that I have a PC with a decent graphics card, but... it's a jungle out there.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Active Sky for sure. I have a lot of payware airports that I frequent (KLAX, KSAN, etc) and scenery for the west coast as well. Scenery would be the next IMO but I'm sure other's will be able to provide more suggestions.

Because I run P3D and like to smash my dick in a door on VATSIM, I also have the estonia migration tool, FSUIPC and widefs and probably a whole host of other poo poo needed just to hack up 12 year old software to fry prane.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How many in here use ezdok with P3D? Is it easy to setup/use?

I have TrackIR but it really isn't useful when I need to focus on a specific instrument or panel and the default in cockpit views are at best mediocre.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

How many in here use ezdok with P3D? Is it easy to setup/use?

I have TrackIR but it really isn't useful when I need to focus on a specific instrument or panel and the default in cockpit views are at best mediocre.

I use EZDok with P3D and could not live without it. It's also my answer to the top non-aircraft addon question above.

It's easy to setup and use, but with P3D you need to first buy and install the normal version and then head to the beta forums here and download the latest beta.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

I use EZDok with P3D and could not live without it. It's also my answer to the top non-aircraft addon question above.

It's easy to setup and use, but with P3D you need to first buy and install the normal version and then head to the beta forums here and download the latest beta.

Much obliged.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a reason to get EZDok if I don't have a motion tracking setup?

simble
May 11, 2004

I'd say there's more reason to get it if you don't have something like TrackIR. You can hotkey a lot of common views. It's very useful.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

I feel like I've asked this before, but what would you guys say your top 3 non-aircraft addons for FSX would be?

I'm trying to decide on my next purchase (all I've bought is A2A Cessna 172) now that I have a PC with a decent graphics card, but... it's a jungle out there.

1) FSUIPC 4 - A great go between for other addons and the sim
2) RAAS Pro - If you're like me and fly tubeliners, this is ace
3) Active Sky 16 - Best weather generation out there

And I definitely suggest scenery. I would suggest starting with the airport you already fly into/out of the most.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 29, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

lobsterminator posted:

EZDok is janky, unsupported poo poo, and FSFX is making a better camera system so I'd say you should hold out for their offering at this point.

Also:

1) Active Sky
2) REX Texture Direct + Soft Clouds
3) FSUIPC

Weather, pretty clods and skies, and actually being able to bind poo poo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like RAASPro but I'm not sure it meets my top 3. ActiveSky is absolutely number one. FSUIPC, mostly for my various peripherals. REX is third.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Forums Terrorist posted:

1) Active Sky
2) REX Texture Direct + Soft Clouds
3) FSUIPC
Same. And I agree with your ezdok assessment

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Bit of a puerile question but anyone have an opinion on the best-looking VR-enabled flight sim? I've enjoyed humming around in DTS, the visuals aren't terrible though the optimisation seems to be, just wondering whether there's anything better out there. Love the feeling of going for a flight in the mornings!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I just got my Vive yesterday, and only had occasion to try Elite Dangerous briefly, but it has me hooked. If that's not your thing, I've heard both DCS and War Thunder are pretty great in VR (I'll try those today probably).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Does Rise of Flight support that poo poo? It would be the best, since it looks awesome, and doesn't require scrutinizing little displays and controls and UI bullshit. Just you and a majestic pile of canvas and wood falling out of the sky over and over again.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Not natively, and most of the tweaks out don't work for DX9.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That's a drat shame! Also, holy crap, time flies. RoF still feels newish to me.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

El Grillo posted:

Bit of a puerile question but anyone have an opinion on the best-looking VR-enabled flight sim? I've enjoyed humming around in DTS, the visuals aren't terrible though the optimisation seems to be, just wondering whether there's anything better out there. Love the feeling of going for a flight in the mornings!

Aerofly 2 is the prettiest flight sim I've tried in VR. Probably not the best flight sim, but its good for showing the hardware off to friends/relations.
Elite is also extremely good in VR, though I wouldn't say its a flight sim, even though it flies more like WW1 planes than internet spaceships...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Elite is indeed great despite the fact that it seems impossible (even with supersampling +AA) to get rid of aliasing & aliasing flickering artifacts.

Jiblet posted:

Aerofly 2 is the prettiest flight sim I've tried in VR. Probably not the best flight sim, but its good for showing the hardware off to friends/relations.
Elite is also extremely good in VR, though I wouldn't say its a flight sim, even though it flies more like WW1 planes than internet spaceships...
Ah yeah that looks nice. I just really like being in pretty spaces in VR, and getting to fly around them is awesome. Considering how good looking ARMA and many other games' landscapes have been for quite some time, it was a little surprising to me that flight sims haven't come further on that front. But I guess the focus is on the sim aspect anyway, and perhaps the market's pretty small?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Actually its because turbo sim spergs cant stand the idea of generic (even if its pretty) scenery and demand perfect 1 for 1 textures with matching meshes that accurately simulate continental drift, soil erosion, land clearance both man made and natural in real time, and the pool of developers prepared to attempt that sort of thing is small.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know why the developers can't just tell the superspergs to get hosed, because they're going to buy the simulator anyway regardless.

All of the bitching and moaning on the yellow forums was directly responsible for Il-2: Cliffs of Dover sucking big fat balls. I remember people demanding features ranging from "every bullet hole in your plane needs to be tracked in the textures across an entire campaign of missions" to "you should program in realistic herd scattering behavior when you fly low over a field full of cows, also add fields full of cows" to "when you crash over Germany you should have to play a stealth game to get your guy back to the coast or it erases your save."

After the game was released, I remember that people immediately started complaining that the Spitfire's negative-g fuel cutout behavior was modeled incorrectly and the engine shut off way too soon. What a bunch of idiots! Games have modeled this behavior for decades, and the Il-2 devs couldn't even get it right??? God, what does this mean for their attention to detail??? OMG, what a ripoff! Fix it so it's how it's supposed to be!!!!!!

...and then it turned out that the devs had actually flown in a Spitfire and carefully measured the g-loads that caused fueling issues, and their model was correct and every preceding one that the superspergs were basing their "knowledge" on was wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Regarding terrain, I really wish that some flight sim developer would pick up Anteworld/Outerra and start using that. Because then you can fly from a blade of grass to outer space with high fidelity, and who gives a gently caress if each rock is accurately modeled on a real-world counterpart as long as the general terrain geometry is correct?

The noisiest spergs, that's who.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It hardly matters in big jets and high altitude flying of course, but having the buildings be accurate at least is kind of important for VFR flying.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know why the developers can't just tell the superspergs to get hosed, because they're going to buy the simulator anyway regardless.

All of the bitching and moaning on the yellow forums was directly responsible for Il-2: Cliffs of Dover sucking big fat balls. I remember people demanding features ranging from "every bullet hole in your plane needs to be tracked in the textures across an entire campaign of missions" to "you should program in realistic herd scattering behavior when you fly low over a field full of cows, also add fields full of cows" to "when you crash over Germany you should have to play a stealth game to get your guy back to the coast or it erases your save."

After the game was released, I remember that people immediately started complaining that the Spitfire's negative-g fuel cutout behavior was modeled incorrectly and the engine shut off way too soon. What a bunch of idiots! Games have modeled this behavior for decades, and the Il-2 devs couldn't even get it right??? God, what does this mean for their attention to detail??? OMG, what a ripoff! Fix it so it's how it's supposed to be!!!!!!

...and then it turned out that the devs had actually flown in a Spitfire and carefully measured the g-loads that caused fueling issues, and their model was correct and every preceding one that the superspergs were basing their "knowledge" on was wrong.

Speaking of which, I recently installed the Team Fusion mod for Cliffs of Dover and it's pretty incredible what they've done, especially without having access to an API. It looks great, runs well (granted, hardware has also improved since the original release) and they've added in features that were broken or missing in the original. Still a little janky in places but I'm actually excited to see how they continue to improve the game now. Next big release they are adding in North Africa as a new theatre

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

"My vast experience with flight simulators makes me an expert" is as hilariously cringeworthy as it is common in the flight sim community.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Two things made me realize how lovely flight sim spergs are:

Virtual squadrons that do check rides

Some avsim thread where an idiot was recently bitching that the 737 engine throttle response was inaccurate based on a YouTube video he watched of one taking off.

Basically why would anyone want to pretend the shittiest aspects of flying like check rides and day to day squadron life. That poo poo sucks.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Been sittin on this one for a few days, but it's ready to roll.

DCS
+
PilotEdge
:toot:

https://www.facebook.com/pilotedgeATC/photos/a.157167331019939.42361.107702095966463/1422367564499903/?type=3&theater

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I didn't notice this posted before, but the Thrustmaster T16000, the excellent -value entry level joystick, is getting an upgraded version with a throttle. The throttle will also be sold separately:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/%...ed-new-t16000m-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280081

I've no interest in all these various space games coming out, but the plus side is there'a a whole new range of flight peripherals being released.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

holocaust bloopers posted:

Two things made me realize how lovely flight sim spergs are:

Virtual squadrons that do check rides

Some avsim thread where an idiot was recently bitching that the 737 engine throttle response was inaccurate based on a YouTube video he watched of one taking off.

Basically why would anyone want to pretend the shittiest aspects of flying like check rides and day to day squadron life. That poo poo sucks.

I should join one of those groups, and then when it's check ride time bitch at them for not simulating a FOD walk-down.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Now I just need DCS: OV-10 Bronco

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

"My vast experience with flight simulators makes me an expert" is as hilariously cringeworthy as it is common in the flight sim community.

Same thing happens in ArmA. Back in the day I remember one guy on the goon server who tried to justify taking control of a mission with "okay, look, I've been in the poo poo at the big airsoft shoot."

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Panic Defense posted:

Now I just need DCS: OV-10 Bronco

Could sim spergs handle such a thing :shepspends:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Seriously, I've flown both a C 172 IRL and in FS and they just don't compare. No flight sim is going to capture the actual feel of flying accurately. Its an entirely different experience when your rear end is strapped to a couple thousand lbs of aluminum and pilotage actually matters. These "experts" will bitch to high heaven about the tiniest detail but will go full retard whenever the FMC craps itself.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Today, I am the smuggest motherfucker in creation. Why?

Well because I managed to figure out how to work the radio, GPS and map and autopilot for the Grand Caravan and put it all together to fly from Launceston Airport in Tasmania to Mt Gambier including an IFR approach (not that I had to since the weather was clear) with a low level fly over of King Island and a landing approach that included a fly over of the Blue Lake with a perfect landing. :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

Today is the first time I've "put it all together" and turned it into an actual flight from two unfamiliar airports, a trifling 375nm though it may be. That means I'm about ready to start doing some "serious" simming and begin my caravan world tour. Tomorrow is going to be a good day.