Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I would hope they've improved it quite a bit in the past 13 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jordguitar
Jul 7, 2008

Megadyptes posted:

I would hope they've improved it quite a bit in the past 13 years.

It has. You just need the computer to run the drat thing without any simulator problems.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sellouts posted:

PMDG have already announced they will develop for it.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426981-pmdgs-xplane-10-development-fact-thread-updated-25nov13/

I think the platform needs a better weather engine and some ORBX level scenery packs for purchase.

Avsim links. For when you absolutely, positively, don't want to ever transfer any information, other than the fact that the Avsim servers are run on Pentium IIs, or the admins have no loving concept of how to run a website in the post-1999 time period.

In short, gently caress that place.

jordguitar
Jul 7, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Avsim links. For when you absolutely, positively, don't want to ever transfer any information, other than the fact that the Avsim servers are run on Pentium IIs, or the admins have no loving concept of how to run a website in the post-1999 time period.

In short, gently caress that place.

It is a horrible horrible place.

So here is the entire post:

avsucks posted:

Captains,

This thread will provide you with factual information related to PMDG's efforts to release products compatible with the Laminar Research Xplane10 platform.

General Status:
============
PMDG are currently developing a product to be released for the Laminar Research Xplane10 platform. This product is the first product PMDG have developed for the Xplane platform and as such, details of the project are being kept in-house until the project has reached a sufficiently advanced stage and PMDG are comfortable with the overall quality and functionality of the product.

PMDG are using this first project as a "sandbox" from which to try out new and varied techniques in order to deliver the type of quality simulation experience that is desired by PMDG customers currently using our products in FSX.

Upon completion of this project, we will evaluate the market demand and the Xplane platform's viability as a platform for future growth of our PMDG BAe JS4100, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747-400v2.0 product lines with an eye toward making these products available to Xplane users.

PMDG does not intend to release any of our legacy products such as the PMDG MD-11 or PMDG 747-400X into the Xplane platform.

Products that enter development following the PMDG 747-400 v2.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending upon their marketability on the Xplane platform.

Licensing and Use:
===============
Products offered on the Xplane platform will initially be offered only with a Home Entertainment licensing option.

Upon evaluation of the Xplane platform as a candidate for expanded licensing options, PMDG will evaluate offering expanded licensing models to cover the full range of non-entertainment applications for our products.

Customer Licensing for Xplane products will be handled directly through PMDG's current eCommerce portal.

Costs for licensing of Xplane based products will vary based upon the license model chosen and the desired use. This will enable PMDG customers to choose a range of cost options based upon their needs and license requirements, from Home Entertainment up through PMDG Certified Training Solutions customized for specific airline customers.

TRAINING CENTER & AIRLINE CUSTOMIZATION:
=======================================
Training Centers and Airline customers desiring to use Xplane as a simulation platform are encouraged to speak with PMDG directly about making this option avilable in our future product releases for the Xplane platform.

Note: Training enabled licenses depend upon certification from Boeing and licensing by same. This product line is not yet available.

ETA:
====
Currently, there are no PMDG products licensed for use with the Laminar Research Xplane platform.

We do not have a firm ETA for release of PMDG's pending line of Xplne products. The first product is in late development but we anticipate a longer than normal testing/qualification period due to our lack of familiarity with the Xplane platform.

HURDLES:
========
PMDG are currently working with our licensing partners to expand and clarify scope restrictions under our current license agreements that prevent us from releasing products for the Xplane platform. These conversations have been ongoing since approximately July, and we do not have an ETA for their successful conclusion but it is anticipated that we will have an agreement in principle before the end of 2013.

PRICING:
=======
Pricing for PMDG's new line of Xplane products will vary depending upon license type and intended use. Airline customers are encouraged to contact PMDG directly in order that we can effectively recommend a solution to minimize direct and recurring costs.

We might get lucky with X-Plane 11.

Might.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah. 772 sp1 has been disturbingly long. Their development times are insane.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Lack of add-ons are all that keep me from X-Plane to be honest.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Both planes and terrain, same for me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I ordered the X-55, and new pedals

Has anyone improved the terribly outdated pilot software for vatsim yet?

Or do I still need to use FSINN, which was built in 1905?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vpilot is good. Use that.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sellouts posted:

Vpilot is good. Use that.

Nice, I did see that on the vatsim site.

Appears the same guy that made Vpilot is also producing a more expanded program?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Who knows. There's so much bureaucracy within vatsim.

People have already created ways to take flight plan data and utilize google earth for 3d mapping of routes and other fun stuff. But vatsim won't approve because

Anyways, I fly pilotedge almost exclusively now. It's so much better and vfr drones are pretty cool.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Would it be fine to discuss the Steel Beasts open beta here? I don't think it could sustain a thread on it's own, and the people who would play it are mostly here.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

sellouts posted:

Who knows. There's so much bureaucracy within vatsim.

People have already created ways to take flight plan data and utilize google earth for 3d mapping of routes and other fun stuff. But vatsim won't approve because

Anyways, I fly pilotedge almost exclusively now. It's so much better and vfr drones are pretty cool.

Ah yeah I saw some guy flying on twitch, and he uses PE.

I will have to check it out as well

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I'm trying to figure out how to set everything up

I have this desk

And this chair

The height is pretty good for using keyboard/mouse, I don't get any strain or fatigue

But I feel with the base of an X55, it will be too high to comfortably use the joystick and or throttle, I had a similiar problem when I used to use a X52 (different desk though)

There are loads of DIY mounts for having your joystick center mounted, and the throttle on the arm rests, or whatever combination, but I can't see any of them working with the rounded and curved arm rests on this chair

Have you Goons come up with any solutions that might be handy?

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

So I'm trying to figure out how to set everything up

I have this desk

And this chair

The height is pretty good for using keyboard/mouse, I don't get any strain or fatigue

But I feel with the base of an X55, it will be too high to comfortably use the joystick and or throttle, I had a similiar problem when I used to use a X52 (different desk though)

There are loads of DIY mounts for having your joystick center mounted, and the throttle on the arm rests, or whatever combination, but I can't see any of them working with the rounded and curved arm rests on this chair

How do you like the X-55. I ordered one because the $480 warthogs are on backorder, so I ordered an X-55 which also got backordered, but at least I got an eta for the end of the month.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Wh1plash posted:

How do you like the X-55. I ordered one because the $480 warthogs are on backorder, so I ordered an X-55 which also got backordered, but at least I got an eta for the end of the month.

Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow, and I'll let you know.

I too had thought about the warthog, but almost $500 is just insane to spend.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Sappo569 posted:

I use a homemade stand built out of UPVC pipe, much like these:
http://www.rogerdodger.net/videos/floor_unit_f321.html

My Steelcase Leap V2 chair slides neatly in and I can take the whole lot and shove it in a corner when I'm not using it.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow, and I'll let you know.

I too had thought about the warthog, but almost $500 is just insane to spend.

I have a warthog on order, its just backordered with no ETA. I figured with the spring swapping of the X-55 I can run the stiff ones for BMS/DCS and the lighter ones for all the other arcade type flyers, so I can use the Rhino stick in the interim, and worst case scenario sell it to try and get my cousin into the flight sim habit.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jiblet posted:

I use a homemade stand built out of UPVC pipe, much like these:
http://www.rogerdodger.net/videos/floor_unit_f321.html

My Steelcase Leap V2 chair slides neatly in and I can take the whole lot and shove it in a corner when I'm not using it.

Yeah I was looking at that, $20 for instructions though?

I might be just tempted enough to buy it though, and make some trips to the hardware store this weekend

Did you just build yours from scratch, or instructions somewhere?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I built it using those instructions. It was dead easy and turned out pretty good, though a little flimsy. But then I have a HOTAS Warthog sat on the top of plastic tubing held together with glue, screws and velcro so what can you really expect.

Don't get me wrong it does the job admirably, it's just that something metal would probably do it better (and be much more expensive).

Someone once recommended looking at drum kit frames, but I didn't ever get around to that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PMDG has announced SP1 for the 777 as well as the release of the 300 are coming tomorrow.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I guess there is working weather radar now if you have active sky next.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Also includes the taxi cams, if your system can handle them.

E: Oh, that's only on the -300, which I will likely wait a bit to buy, since we don't fly much anymore.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm going to stick with x-plane for GA and possibly grab the CRJ. I'll leave heavies to FSX.

Can someone list essential mods that would give me the best combo for Weather, Overall Environment improvements, lighting and any other things that may be of use? I don't need management programs or anything like that, just some weather and high quality add-ons would be sufficient. (for X-plane 10)

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 19, 2014

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Diet Crack posted:

I'm going to stick with x-plane for GA and possibly grab the CRJ. I'll leave heavies to FSX.

Can someone list essential mods that would give me the best combo for Weather, Overall Environment improvements, lighting and any other things that may be of use? I don't need management programs or anything like that, just some weather and high quality add-ons would be sufficient.

REX4 and Active Sky Next.

Also I know you mentioned that you use X-Plane for GA, but I highly recommend checking out A2A's Cessna 172 or Piper Cherokee for FSX or P3D, which use their custom Accu-Sim engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWQRsPce7ss

edit: Just realised you were probably asking for XP10 mods, in which case ignore me!

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 19, 2014

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jiblet posted:

I built it using those instructions. It was dead easy and turned out pretty good, though a little flimsy. But then I have a HOTAS Warthog sat on the top of plastic tubing held together with glue, screws and velcro so what can you really expect.

Don't get me wrong it does the job admirably, it's just that something metal would probably do it better (and be much more expensive).

Someone once recommended looking at drum kit frames, but I didn't ever get around to that.

Ah ha, and what was your cost total, ballpark?

I also wonder if you experience any rolling, I always had trouble using my rudder pedals because my chair would roll back when pressing full left or full right

Makes for a funny thought if you velcro the whole thing to your chair, kind of like a plane trying to take off on a treadmill :banjo:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

Can someone list essential mods that would give me the best combo for Weather, Overall Environment improvements, lighting and any other things that may be of use? I don't need management programs or anything like that, just some weather and high quality add-ons would be sufficient.

CRJ is good. My version doesn't handle radar vectors properly in the FMS so keep an eye on them or you're going to turn direct and get yelled at by ATC. Fun plane otherwise.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Sappo569 posted:

Ah ha, and what was your cost total, ballpark?

I also wonder if you experience any rolling, I always had trouble using my rudder pedals because my chair would roll back when pressing full left or full right

Makes for a funny thought if you velcro the whole thing to your chair, kind of like a plane trying to take off on a treadmill :banjo:

I don't honestly remember as I built it a few years back now, though I do remember it being more expensive than I'd have liked - mostly because it was quite hard to find the right sized piping in the UK. I guess in Glorious Freedom Land you might have better hardware stores...
IIRC I ended up buying it from some aquarium place on the net. I want to say it was about £80.

I don't suffer any chair roll, but then I'm sat on carpet, so it's hard to roll when I actually want to!

Edit: tell a lie, I found the receipt and it was £80 + tax and shipping :(

http://www.koicarp.net/

(PVC-102) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC Pipe - 1.5mtr lengths
£3.26 X 7 = £22.82
(PVC-142) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 45 degree elbow £1.43 X 4 = £5.72
(PVC-162) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 90 degree elbow
£1.20 X 24 = £28.80
(PVC-182) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 'T' section £1.28 X 20 = £25.60
(PVC-262) PVC 1' Plain End Cap £1.04 X 2 = £2.08
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Total £85.02
VAT Country Tax £14.87
Shipping (Shipping UK Mainland) £10.00
Grand Total £109.89

+6 quid on ebay for a PVC pipe cutter.

As you can see, it's the connectors that sting you.

Here's the plan:

And here's my version since I wanted the stick on the right side, but still have option to put a smaller stick in the middle for heli sims (which I have quite literally never used).

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 19, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Jiblet posted:

I don't honestly remember as I built it a few years back now, though I do remember it being more expensive than I'd have liked - mostly because it was quite hard to find the right sized piping in the UK. I guess in Glorious Freedom Land you might have better hardware stores...
IIRC I ended up buying it from some aquarium place on the net. I want to say it was about £80.

I don't suffer any chair roll, but then I'm sat on carpet, so it's hard to roll when I actually want to!

Edit: tell a lie, I found the receipt and it was £80 + tax and shipping :(

http://www.koicarp.net/

(PVC-102) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC Pipe - 1.5mtr lengths
£3.26 X 7 = £22.82
(PVC-142) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 45 degree elbow £1.43 X 4 = £5.72
(PVC-162) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 90 degree elbow
£1.20 X 24 = £28.80
(PVC-182) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 'T' section £1.28 X 20 = £25.60
(PVC-262) PVC 1' Plain End Cap £1.04 X 2 = £2.08
Product Total £85.02
VAT Country Tax £14.87
Shipping (Shipping UK Mainland) £10.00
Grand Total £109.89

+6 quid on ebay for a PVC pipe cutter.

As you can see, it's the connectors that sting you.

Here's the plan:

And here's my version since I wanted the stick on the right side, but still have option to put a smaller stick in the middle for heli sims (which I have quite literally never used).

Wow, £30-40 of mdf from B&Q and probably the same amount of loving about got me pretty much a whole cockpit. Don't do it this way.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

Daimo posted:

Wow, £30-40 of mdf from B&Q and probably the same amount of loving about got me pretty much a whole cockpit. Don't do it this way.

MDF is cheap as dirt in North America, 4x8 sheet runs about 30-$35

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

And they even cut it for you for free. So if you can sketch some basic measurements all you have to do is glue it together. Much easier than Mario pipe-fuckery.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daimo posted:

And they even cut it for you for free. So if you can sketch some basic measurements all you have to do is glue it together. Much easier than Mario pipe-fuckery.

It has the slight advantage of not exploding if you show it any water.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Flying the 777 with SP1 today, since I haven't flown in forever. The terrain radar now sweeps, it looks awesome.

I suppose if I start flying more regularly, I'm going to have to upgrade to Active Sky Next.

E: Oh, and vPilot is pretty sweet.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 20, 2014

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well I'll hold off on any construction for the time being, I don't mind the HOTAS at slightly higher than armrest height currently.

What is everyone using for moving maps, and charting.

I have a Nook which would be perfect for having charts, plates, and all the other goodies on

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I like FS Commander for maps, and somewhat for planning (although don't trust it). Generally, though, most of use Skyvector for the charts and route planning.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I use Garmin Pilot

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
So, bought the X-aviation Saab 340 for X-Plane. Actually quite digging it for learning to VATSIM. Flights are short so the planning isn't too hard. Also its slowish so I'm not having to think nearly as fast.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nice. The stock baron really isn't bad either for tooling around either.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I liked the stock Baron so much that I sprung for the Carenado one.

Maybe I will pickup the Saab too since I seem to like the multiprop planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Quick learning to VATSIM update, getting to the point where I don't sweat while flying. Only complaint thus far has to be the voice quality. Its like they are trying to compress the sound files to the point where they will go over a 300 baud modem for the one ancient rear end in a top hat that won't upgrade his Tandy (Which is probably a decent segment of the flight simming population upon reflection).

Also, totally get the SAAB 340. Having a total blast with it. Doesn't have any of that FMS crap either so you can navigate and feel like a manly man.