Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

If my sim boots, I will make an effort to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Hooray! The triumphant return of our glorious SwimNurd!

I may be a couple minutes late, myself, but I'll definitely be there.

E: Or I'll go home sick and not make it all. Guess we'll see how I feel in 2 hours.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 28, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
For those who are on FSX, BookaT and I made an updated AFCAD file to reflect some major changes that took place after airport construction a few years ago. Get it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23553830/KACT_AFCAD.zip

Not required, but if you have it make sure and note it in the remarks of your flight plan, or state it verbally when you check in. Otherwise I'll assume you're using the older scenery.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
:siren:Tonight!:siren:

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Semi-Random Newb Night and General VATSIM Fuckery Event

When: Thursday, August 28th, 2014 at 8PM EDT (or 8/29 @ 0000z).
Where: KACT in Waco, TX

It's that time again! The Ferret King will staff ATC at Waco for us to do patterns, teach newbies about radio stuff, and other general VATSIM fuckery. Bring your weirdest plane and give FK a hard time by making turns that are too tight or too wide or both.

If you are a newb, please come visit us in the #flightsim channel if you need help getting things set up. And don't forget to be on the Mumble!
:siren:

If you need help, ask sooner than later. Getting VATSIM set up can be an involved process at times.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Stream is up

http://www.twitch.tv/theferretking

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

so is mine

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Good times!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Had a lot of fun. Only 2 newcomers this time but that's ok.

A few basic remarks, typical of newer sim flyers:

1) The patterns were too big
2) Fly Shorter Patterns

Really in any piston aircraft, if you're not following someone then you should be turning base leg within 1-2 miles of the runway end. Your downwind leg should be flown no further away than 1 wing tip length (if you look out to the side toward the runway, your wing should touch the runway or otherwise overlap it). We had a couple folks flying downwind legs 6 miles away or more from the airport and that just won't do for sequencing, you're too far way. If you're too fast, go slower. If you're too high, stay lower (pattern altitude is 1000ft above field elevation generally, tonight we had folks up to 2,500ft above field elevation).

See Paul's summary here:
http://youtu.be/f6q2VKsvQEQ

Mostly everything went fine. The biggest transgressions, as usual, were from veteran simmers. Kilo bombed the traffic pattern by not calling until very close to the runway while going 300kts, and then didn't turn toward his assigned runway, conflicting with traffic that was in the pattern. Kilo is awful and this is expected.

The twitch stream will be on youtube soon, once I figure out what "verified" means and how to upload it. Hope we get more to show next time, as always this was a lot of fun.

Until then, here's the twitch video, which I think will expire in a couple weeks: http://tinyurl.com/phne4nx

Stuff begins to build a little at this point: http://tinyurl.com/lsk5f98

Kilo fucks everything up by not calling (V tag to the northwest): http://tinyurl.com/khphanq

Pattern builds again, bomber patterns are cut off for efficiency, simble departs right up the tailpipe of Daimo, who does nothing quickly in the pattern ever, EvilJoven bases right up the rear end of a Cherokee while flying a turbo DC3 (it doesn't work), sellouts crashes his 727 while trying to fly toward the runway and get his transponder working, and Kilo picks up a clearance for Memphis in his big-assed MD-11: http://tinyurl.com/nh2z76y

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 29, 2014

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'll be in next newbie night, I'll try to get vatsim set up and working early, and maybe I'll get used to FSX again, too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Lots of down time in the stream, this is one of the lower turnouts we've had, we'll try again in the future I'm sure. I'll work on turning down my Mic volume so that you can hear the VATSIM stuff better (it's maxed, the network voice volume is just stupid-low). The highlights in my previous post contain what I think is the most action. Hope it's somewhat enjoyable.

This was my first time streaming anything ever.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I watched all of FK's stream while getting all my vatsim and mumble stuff fixed. About that time, everyone quit. Next time, probably.

Fun watching and listening. FK is a robot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I broke character a couple times.

"Ok somebody talk to me"

<everyone talks to me at once>

Felt like real life for a second.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Oh god I just watched that again and noticed I didn't hear you call touch and go, and I never called my option. (I totally meant to full stop) :doh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Last night was fun, even if I could only hang out for an hour before my guts decided enough was enough.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Well, please allow me to sperg a bit.

Both are Arrivals, not approaches. More specifically they're Standard Terminal Arrival Routes or STARs, and IAH has a lot more than 2 of them, see here under "Standard Terminal Arrival (STAR) Charts". RNAV approaches would be for a specific runway, like the "RNAV Y RY 26L" approach into IAH.

So the first thing you look at on a STAR, is the direction from which it approaches your destination airport. Begin with STARs that start from roughly the location you'll be arriving from. Then check the STAR and make sure it's not notated with restrictions that exclude your airplane, such as "for turbojet aircraft only" when you're flying a piston single engine aircraft.

In the case of the WHACK2 and the TWSTD2, the notes on the charts say that they are corresponding STARs based on which flow IAH is landing/departing in. If you file one and upon reaching the Houston area, it's different, ATC will simply amend your clearance, no big deal. It certainly doesn't look bad on you. There's no way for you to know for sure IAH will be in a East or West flow when you depart, it could change by the time you get there. So be flexible if ATC amends your clearance.

Often it is not obvious at all which Departure/Arrival procedures you should pick for your specific routing, so websites like Flightaware, Fltplan, or VATAWARE can help. There are also add on flight planning programs, at least for MS Flight Sims, that will try to do a lot of this for you. But the procedures change so often I prefer to use real world sources to get me started. In the real world, pilots often just file direct between their departure and arrival airports, and let ATC issue the routing to them. VATSIM controllers get pissy about it, but it's part of the job. Though in the real world, a computer automatically amends a good chunk of the flight plan for the person issuing the clearance, so it doesn't require as much manual editing as it does for a VATSIM controller (who, during an event, might also be having to amend another 50 clearances because virtual pilots won't look up a route ahead of time). Most airline dispatches have the current routings, though, so what they file is usually exactly what they get or very close.

Thanks!, Spergin is what I'm here for.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hahaha man I got super close to that Cherokee. Whoops. IDGAF though, double tonnage rule.:v:

One question I have about my plane. If I leave it at full throttle it seems to take a ton of time to drop core RPMs. I'm not talking the normal turboprop input lag, I'm talking a full 30 seconds. Once the core speed starts dropping the response is normal for a tprop until I go WOT again.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I knew I'd have to Google a lot (transponder mode, charts etc), so the Blimp BN2 suited me well for that.

Thanks for the vid, its helps pick up on a few things. Now I can see my patterns were a bit bizarre, but that's years of offline habits as the AI doesn't correct you.

Also it was 3am here so I didn't really have the energy to talk much, but I enjoyed myself.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
Count me in for next time. Missed this one again :\. I'm also in the kilo landing gear video as Cessna 28T, doing dumb things like calling myself by my full call sign. That was a lot of fun and I want to do it again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was going to break my anti-social routine and come annoy FK with itty-bitty-patterns, but my girlfriend banged in to work, which shot my gaming plans for the evening in the forehead.

:commissar:

IRL, I worked a DC-9-15 today. I didn't think there were any of those left. :v:

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Can someone tell me about Strike Fighters? It's linked in this thread but the dev website is confusing and sort of hard to navigate.
Youtube videos don't seem representative either, it's really hard to tell

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hollenhammer posted:

Well, there are a few here... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573259

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Hollenhammer posted:

Can someone tell me about Strike Fighters? It's linked in this thread but the dev website is confusing and sort of hard to navigate.
It's nothing amazing, but it's still fairly solid. You can customize the amount of realism separately for flight model, ammo use, fuel use, crash damage, and so on, and with them all at max realism it's almost like a less-spergy DCS, while with them all set to easy it's pretty arcadey. The default planes tend to be less manoeuvrable ones like the F-4 and F-105, but later expansions have things like F-16s that are more useful in a turnfight. There's also a ton of mods for it that add new planes of varying quality.

It's not without its quirks, though. The AI, for example, always uses the medium-realism flight model, so if you use the more realistic one, it'll always be able to turn more tightly than you in the same airframe. There's a good LP of it by SelenicMartian here and he does a good job of pointing out its foibles when they crop up.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
All I know is Wings Over Vietnam is pretty fun and that there are an endless amount of mods for the various games.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

woah awesome, thanks for the replies

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Strike Fighters 2 with the NATO Fighters 5 mod has around a billion planes you can fly. Its the current closest thing to those old Jane's Fighter Anthology games.

Its a bit pricey though all together. If you get any, grab SF2: Europe and Israel, and the expansions for both if you like early jet guns only dogfights. Those are prob the best two.

Its got its flaws, but personally I love those games.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Also one of the mods adds a Tsar Bomba under one of its official names.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I've since gotten rid of the screenshots from it, but I once did a mission in a Tu-95 carrying a Tsar Bomba. I missed the airfield by like a kilometer and a half but still destroyed everything there and remotely nearby.

I was flying as high up as I could under that heavy of a load and still got caught in the blast radius. :ussr:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Ok, so I have another IFR sperg question for VATSIM/ATC in general. Suppose I want to fly from KSEA to KBLI (A short hop). The only published approach for KBLI is an RNAV approach. Now my poor little saab can wing it and get close using VOR's and a stopwatch to judge where I am, however I'd rather just file direct or via the Paine VOR.

so can I do that without pissing off VATSIM ATC and what would that look like in a flight plan?

Say,

seattle4.pae

?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

Ok, so I have another IFR sperg question for VATSIM/ATC in general. Suppose I want to fly from KSEA to KBLI (A short hop). The only published approach for KBLI is an RNAV approach. Now my poor little saab can wing it and get close using VOR's and a stopwatch to judge where I am, however I'd rather just file direct or via the Paine VOR.

so can I do that without pissing off VATSIM ATC and what would that look like in a flight plan?

Say,

seattle4.pae

?

It has an ILS approach, which is a conventional approach not requiring rnav. If ATC is online your clearance will be via radar vectors or via a SID from Seattle to the north. BLI is worked by Victoria approach, not Seattle so they'd vector you in for a visual or ILS approach. If Victoria is offline Seattle will release you to your own navigation some time before you get too close, so you can do whatever you want. You don't need a stopwatch unless your saab also doesn't have DME, but I suppose you could time stuff anyway.

Looks like you might get:

SEA V23 HUH

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 30, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
XP 10.30 is officially out: http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-10-30-release-notes

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

It has an ILS approach, which is a conventional approach not requiring rnav. If ATC is online your clearance will be via radar vectors or via a SID from Seattle to the north. BLI is worked by Victoria approach, not Seattle so they'd vector you in for a visual or ILS approach. If Victoria is offline Seattle will release you to your own navigation some time before you get too close, so you can do whatever you want. You don't need a stopwatch unless your saab also doesn't have DME, but I suppose you could time stuff anyway.

Looks like you might get:

SEA V23 HUH

Gave it a go on VATSIM and worked great, right about the part where the controller forgot I existed :downs:

To be fair, he was center I dropped off his scope for a sec, and he assumed I'd logged off. Gonna keep that route handy though, good short one the SAAB and a good way to spend an hour.

Had to opt in to the beta to get it to update. So far so good, hasn't broken my SAAB or Xsquakbox. New clouds and distant scenery look pretty good. Clouds did cause chugging in a few places where they otherwise wouldn't have. Not much else immediately noticeable.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 3, 2014

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Man I forgot just how much fun it is to get a few guys together and blow up ground targets in the A-10C. No dogfighting BS, just chilling and blowing things up with GBUs and Mavericks.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

EvilJoven posted:

Man I forgot just how much fun it is to get a few guys together and blow up ground targets in the A-10C. No dogfighting BS, just chilling and blowing things up with GBUs and Mavericks.

That sounds pretty fun. Anyone else want to do DCS again?

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

That sounds pretty fun. Anyone else want to do DCS again?

ED is having its Autumn sale again, FYI.

DCS Autumn Sale is On! Massive Savings!

From September 4th to September 16th, we will be running our Autumn DCS Sale. We hope you will use these great deals to fill out your stable of DCS modules.
DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: A-10C Warthog: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: Black Shark 2: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: Combined Arms: $19.99 to $5.99 (70% off)
DCS: UH-1H Huey: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: P-51D Mustang: $29.99 to $11.99 (60% off)
DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight: 49.99 to $24.99 (50% off)
F-15C for DCS World: $9.99 to $4.99 (50% off)
A-10A for DCS World: $9.99 to $4.99 (50% off)
Su-25 for DCS World: $9.99 to $4.99 (50% off)
DCS: F-86F Sabre: $49.99 to $39.99 (20% off)
DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora: $49.99 to $39.99 (20% off)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any ideas when the next newbie night will be? That looks like fun.

And, I seem to remember some video showing a bunch of crazy landings, complete with demonstrations on how to do them in FSX, is that link floating around somewhere?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am pretty sure all of kilos streams are archived somewhere.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I've been trying to get X-Plane 10 working after grabbing it from steam- I know a lot of aircraft pull to the left a bit in real life, but in-game it's incredibly distracting- I basically have to keep constant right-yaw and right-roll just to stay level. Is that typical of actual flying and thus intended behavior in the sim, or have I muddled my joystick configuration?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Omi no Kami posted:

I've been trying to get X-Plane 10 working after grabbing it from steam- I know a lot of aircraft pull to the left a bit in real life, but in-game it's incredibly distracting- I basically have to keep constant right-yaw and right-roll just to stay level. Is that typical of actual flying and thus intended behavior in the sim, or have I muddled my joystick configuration?

I assume its one of two things: Either your joystick controls need to be re-checked to make sure it isn't the cause or you just need to set your trim controls.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I assume its one of two things: Either your joystick controls need to be re-checked to make sure it isn't the cause or you just need to set your trim controls.

Oh derp, rudder trim was all the way left for some reason, thank you!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh derp, rudder trim was all the way left for some reason, thank you!

:pilot::hf::D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
If there a way to make xplane ask what plane and airport I want before it starts loading everything? It's super annoying having to load a plane and airport I don't care about just to change to somewhere else and wait for it to load again.