Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'd need to know what aircraft you'd be wanting to fly because I have nothing fast.

I should get the Citation or something.

EDIT: apparently it doesnt work with P3Dv2 anyone know of something that isn't a big rear end tubeliner that works for P3D and goes fast?

EDIT2: also has an FMC to dick around with. Suggestions?

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you want something fast do not get the citation.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Fast is a relative term as the fastest thing I've flown in a civilian sim in years was a turboprop DC-3.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Carenado has a bunch of bizjets; they'd keep up with tubeliners and I think the Hawker H850 has a Navigraph compatible FMC. If you'd like something smaller, the Embraer Phenom would keep up I think and has a big rear end Garmin glass cockpit just like a lot of GA planes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fly the goddamn route without an fmc

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Okay so after some very lazy deliberation we're going to fly KDEN - KSLC. Total air time is about an hour, so it''ll be a nice little warmup for people looking to learn VATSIM. Bring something that can keep up with jets. I'll probably bring something stupid like an MD-11 or a Tristar.

Route will be SID RLG EKR STAR. All VORs, pick your departures and arrivals as appropriate for what your plane can fly. What times are people available? I can do whenever.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I feel like atc is rarely on for this route, but I haven't flown for a while.

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008

sellouts posted:

Fly the goddamn route without an fmc

Amen

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not that I can't fly a route by hand, it's that if I'm going to pay for another plane I want more buttons to push! :spergin:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Well whenever this takes place I will probably bring a 727-2 if I can make it. But I am west coast so everyone usually does this sort of stuff before I get home

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

sellouts posted:

I feel like atc is rarely on for this route, but I haven't flown for a while.

Right now, Salt Lake Center, Approach and Tower are on. I don't know if this is representative, but another option for a VATSIM newb night could be the Boston Tea Party event next Saturday.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Newbie nights during events are a horrid combination.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
During events being the VFR traffic that doesnt know WTF they're doing just outside controlled airspace can be hilarious for newbies if they tune their second radio to CTR or APP.

Being the VFR traffic that knows EXACTLY what they're doing right in the middle of controlled airspace can be hilarious for the old hats.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
This is true. Can't count the number of times I've been contacted by a supervisor for being in a completely legal place during an event.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The Ferret King posted:

This is true. Can't count the number of times I've been contacted by a supervisor for being in a completely legal place during an event.

Same.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DCS flash sale this weekend. I thought this was a great line in the email, in any other industry you would think this was written in jest: USD prices only and does not apply to former Soviet Union countries.

or.com/en/shop/

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: A-10C Warthog: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: Black Shark 2: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: P-51D Mustang: $29.99 to $8.99 (70% off)
DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Combined Arms: $19.99 to $5.99 (70% off)
F-15C for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-27 for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-27 The Ultimate Argument Campaign: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
A-10A for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-25 for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
DCS: MiG-15bis: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: F-86F Sabre: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: UH-1H Huey: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight: 49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: C-101 Aviojet: $59.99 to $17.99 (70% off)
DCS: MiG-21bis: $49.99 to 19.99 (60% off)

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Hadlock posted:

DCS flash sale this weekend. I n this was a great line in the email, in any other industry you would think this was written in jest: USD prices only and does not apply to former Soviet Union countries.

Does the big red "Not for Steam!" mean you cannot transfer these after purchase?
I'd really like to buy a couple of prop aircraft and crash them constantly on landing like I am with the P51... :argh:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are any of those prop planes NOT tail dragger landing gear? I know a warplane is not an analog for a Cesna 172 but if I'm going to work on my license some day I'd really rather the mechanics of landing and taxing be at least the same species.

Also, I don't know why but that C-101 Aviojet looks awesome, totally going to pick that up :dance:

immelman
Oct 6, 2014

Hadlock posted:

Are any of those prop planes NOT tail dragger landing gear? I know a warplane is not an analog for a Cesna 172 but if I'm going to work on my license some day I'd really rather the mechanics of landing and taxing be at least the same species.

Also, I don't know why but that C-101 Aviojet looks awesome, totally going to pick that up :dance:

Fraid not, but since getting a pilots license will still mean this will be as close to dog fighting a 109 as I'll get, I've bought it and the P51-D :allears:

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009

immelman posted:

Does the big red "Not for Steam!" mean you cannot transfer these after purchase?
I'd really like to buy a couple of prop aircraft and crash them constantly on landing like I am with the P51... :argh:

Yeah that's right, you can't transfer these purchases to steam from the standalone game. There is always a steam sale on DCS modules within two weeks of the standalone sale though, so you won't have to wait for long.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

The Geoff posted:

Yeah that's right, you can't transfer these purchases to steam from the standalone game. There is always a steam sale on DCS modules within two weeks of the standalone sale though, so you won't have to wait for long.
Did they stop doing that? I remember back when DCS World hit Steam all you had to do was throw your CD-Key in and you'd get the Steam version.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
Yeah, the way it works now is:

- If you buy a module on Steam, you can use the code in either the Steam or standalone versions.
- If you buy a module from the Eagle Dynamics store, you can ONLY use it in the standalone version.

As far as I can tell, Valve objected to Eagle Dynamics selling codes which work on Steam from their website - I thought other companies did this too, but apparently it was a problem. There was some kind of dispute between the companies which resulted in the current system. Basically it doesn't make much sense to use the Steam version of the game anymore, since the updates come out later and you can't take advantage of some of the sales - it's better to use the standalone version, and add it as a 'non-steam' game to your steam library.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Insert name here posted:

Did they stop doing that? I remember back when DCS World hit Steam all you had to do was throw your CD-Key in and you'd get the Steam version.

Yeah. You can go from steam to ED but not the other way around. The sales do come out shortly after on steam though.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Russian companies and Steam don't seem to get on very well.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Got some cheap goflight panels from this dude. Wasn't even in the market, just saw them on CL for like 250 for 7 of them. Couldn't not buy them. Got them mounted up today.

Welded a bracket for them:

And I'll still probably never fly. But it is pretty rad. Really impressed with the panels, especially the multi function GF46. If I knew it was that cool, I probably would have been in the market for that one, anyways.

ease fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 2, 2015

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction

Hadlock posted:

Taxi and takeoff translate fairly badly to RL, so I wouldn't worry about it.

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
There are copies of the original 1945 P-51 Pilot's Manual around online.
Not only very informative, but a lot less dry and more fun than the DCS one!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megadyptes posted:

Russian companies and Steam don't seem to get on very well.

Something something Ukraine sanctions something.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm re-starting my computer for the 4th or 5th time this evening trying to get it to give me the option to upgrade to win10 (a failed ie11 upgrade and subsequent downgrade to ie10 means there is a bunch of updates I've never gotten.) It's installing the upgrade app right now.

Any Windows 10 trip reports on P3d or DCS world?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

P3D has worked just fine for me, no issues. And the win8 issue where only mouse yoke controller settings were visible is fixed with win10.
EDIT: Also, EZDok used to have this annoying black flash when changing views and that is also now gone. So only good things have come from win10.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

New computer (mostly) and fresh install of windows 10, I think now is the time to get back into some flight simming, and finally use the hundreds of dollars of peripherals I have collecting dust

Has there been any progress at all on a new Vatsim client, or are we still stuck using the same thing from 1995?

Also what is the most recommended payware aircraft for P3D?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sappo569 posted:

Probably the PMDG 777, if you can stand their pricing and genuinely worse than EA business practices. Other than that, the Majestic Q400 is pretty good and seems popular.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Has there been any progress at all on a new Vatsim client, or are we still stuck using the same thing from 1995?

New vatsim client vPilot is super easy to use and the Twin Otter Extended is the best plane.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 14, 2015

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

New computer (mostly) and fresh install of windows 10, I think now is the time to get back into some flight simming, and finally use the hundreds of dollars of peripherals I have collecting dust

Aerosofts a320 series is awesomely fantastic with billions of repaints and user mods. Plus, they have the crj ng series coming soon too.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I bit the bullet and switched back to FSX Steam using the folder/registry hacks to convince it that it's my only FSX install, allowing my stuff to work, including the Basler BT-67 that I used to fly all the time. God drat I forgot how well thought out that aircraft is.

Wh1plash
Oct 13, 2008
Just an FYI Friday September 4th at 15:00 UTC to Monday September 7th at 09:00 UTC.

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: A-10C Warthog: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: Black Shark 2: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: P-51D Mustang: $29.99 to $8.99 (70% off)
DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Combined Arms: $19.99 to $5.99 (70% off)
F-15C for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-27 for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-27 The Ultimate Argument Campaign: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
A-10A for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-25 for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
DCS: MiG-15bis: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: F-86F Sabre: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: UH-1H Huey: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight: 49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: C-101 Aviojet: $59.99 to $17.99 (70% off)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I need to buy the Mig-21 already... such a perfectly stylin' performance to difficulty ratio

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thief posted:

I need to buy the Mig-21 already... such a perfectly stylin' performance to difficulty ratio

Do it. It's such a fun plane.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Current state of my stankpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

911_pilot_training_room.jpg