Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Loving my new processor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Conversely, mine died after a week.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The Bananana posted:

Should I pay more and buy from amazon in case it dies on me?

Yes! Do this! Saitek won't deal with you directly and always pass you back to the retailer. At least in my experience (UK).

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

You just sold me on it.

EvilJoven posted:

I'm just starting to get back in to it. I spent a few hours yesterday on VATSIM tooling around my new home town and today I spent some time offline familiarizing myself with the turbo DC3 in the OP. It's pretty nifty.

Hell yeah!

I'd like to get into Vatsim. But I'm British and I only have mobile broadband, hence why I predominantly use air hauler. Is it feasible?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

dahkren posted:

Anyway I was wondering how good AirHauler is? Does it make FSX basically into euro trucker, with planes?

I'm looking for something to make my flying around in virtual planes have some sort of objective around it besides just point a-b.

Yeah that's exactly what it does - gives you missions and keeps score. It's kind of like the difference between a sandbox and single player mode in any given game.

I was going to take some shots but then I checked the website and it would be redundant. So I'll just post my company and declare myself King Goon Hauler:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Bondematt posted:

hurumpf, now my X-52 with the squeaky twist doesn't pick up full right twist anymore. About 3/4 turn is full in the calibrator and full bounces between 0-100%.

Guess I got to get some pedals now :spergin:

What's a decent set for tile floor, or do they all stay pretty well?

Edit: Random googling says the sensor may need cleaning. Whelp, I wanted to open this up anyway to get rid of that drat squeak.

If you do open it up make sure you do it slowly and you're paying attention. The twist mechanism is spring loaded and quite fiddley.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Basically just FSX with a new coat of paint

That's what it is at the moment, but supposedly its getting directx 12 in the next update.

Don't quote me on that though.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I spent about $150 on stuff including tools. It's not hard with a handsaw, but make sure to use a mitre box.

Wow I think mine cost about that, including the chair and paint.

I cheated and borrowed a circular saw from a friend though.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

SkopeDog posted:

Goddamn, even simmers have better 'pits than what I'm used to IRL.

That's an awesome as hell set up, seriously. Color me envious. Do you use any kind of headtracking?

PM me if you want to swap :)

Unfortunately I never got on with my TIR4 before it broke, and on that basis I can't really justify a TIR5. It was too wobbly and prone to spikes due to ambient light.

aunt jemima posted:

You've built something that's very, very, similar to what I'm planning on doing...
What G1000 software is that? And are those monitors touch screens - I'm assuming so, since I don't see how you'd control the G1000 otherwise?

This was a proof of concept shot using the default Cessna, I don't really use it like that. The next step in my plan is to get good at panel studio so I can do something like this:

But the eventual goal is to buy 7x7" touchscreens and stick em on a board in an arrangement like this:

Sappo569 posted:

Don't suppose you have some plans or specs for that ?

My buddy is interested in doing something similar

edit:

on that note, is anyone using software to mock up the design first?

I would like to print out a nice template to help when drilling holes etc

I don't have any plans and to be honest it's basically just some MDF boxes and a chair from a van. I've uploaded an album and you'll see this is the third version. Really you just have to do your research and make a plan.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

First impression of FTX Global.

Looks like FTX England all over again.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

In FSX how can I start a freeflight with everything cold?

No matter what position I start in, even parked at a gate, the engines are already running.

Or to give you another option, see the "cold and dark" saved game here: http://simviation.com/fsxmisc1.htm

That's what I've always used.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Can you take the stand off for mounting purposes?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Has anybody mentioned how great Thrustmaster support is? I'm going to anyway.

Basically I had a short circuit on the PCB and fired them an email expecting the worst*. They asked me for a photo and copy/screenshot of the receipt which I sent them. They've just written that they are pleased to inform me they have the PCB in stock and will send me a new one. That's outstanding service and the whole experience has been completely positive.

*I say expecting the worst because when a similar fault occured with my Saitek X52 pro they sent me a drab email along the lines of "Sorry we can't help with that, try contacting your vendor". That's what convinced me to go with TM.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo new P3D features :aaaaa:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

It's too bad they're never going to release and entertainment version of P3D

Someday I'll buy an educational license, but I'm going to shout "I'm not having fun!" every once in a while, just to be sure.

You better had do:

I guess displaying this is the only way they could get a license from MS. It's almost satirical.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Anybody else going to Flight Sim 2013 on Saturday (UK)?

http://www.flightsimulatorshow.com

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

kalstrams posted:

So, flying goons. Is Take On Helicopters a simulator or not ?

The flying is better than fsx, but not the procedures. It has no mod support but tonnes of style.

Sort of a Flight Unlimited for helicopters.

If that sounds good you'll love it - I do. But it isn't my everyday stimulator.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

They do different things so you shouldn't try to make them work together. Passengers is about micromanaging the cabin, serving drinks etc, and Air Hauler is about running a business and going to random places.

AH2 will be out mid next year, and has missions like S&R & 'unmarked flights'.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The best thing to do is ask what plane you want to try. There are various work arounds for different ones. Scenery installs mostly have to be done manually, which made me want to kill myself when it came to my UK VFR set.

I hope they've fixed the CTD due to .dll issues. I've been using 1.4 for a week and it CTD's pretty much daily.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Just my two pence on P3D... lots of bugs but very beautiful - my system is being used completely.

To start with it wouldn't start due to a .dll error (not having MS x86 visual C++ pack on my x64 system). Then it wouldn't start due to a DX11 conflict with Displaylink drivers.

Now I've had to disable HDR to prevent a black screen error, can't change airports without autogen textures corrupting, have to live without progressive taxi, and ignore the camera turning dead north when changing aircraft.

If you're on the fence I'd wait until 2.1.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 2, 2013

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

IceLicker posted:

I did a complete reinstall from scratch and removed FSX (RIP) and once I upgraded my video card, I tuned P3D so I get a constant 30FPS with any add-on I throw at it so far. It's just taking forever to get back to where I was with FSX but it's slowly coming along. She is indeed beautiful though and I'm hopeful for the future. I will also say that i've been fortunate enough to not encounter any other problem other than the black screen.

To be fair to them three of my issues are nothing to do with them. But that hasn't stopped the lead rendering programmer trying to help on the forums. Tech support also wished me a good day, and they refunded 1.4 without even asking why. Truly excellent bunch of people.

I like to think they are some sort of skunkwork project at LM who suits don't even know exist.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3d is 10gig. Is the extra 60 worth it? The only thing that comes close is my UKVFR scenery!

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3Dv2.1 is out

And flightsim fans are still terrible.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3D has finally been patched up to a decent standard. So here's a quick flight EGBJ > EGBB.

Didn't like the rain much, so fired up OpusFSX.

Gorgeous lighting on the panel.

Solid performance on my old q9650 & GTX460 with stock settings.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 28, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The Navion is :)

The rest is Horizon UKVFR, OpusFSX, UK2000 airports and Treescapes.

e: Now I'm seriously tempted to drop a grand on 3 IPS monitors and a new GFX card.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 28, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

kalstrams posted:

But the P3D itself?

$60 gets you an academic license with a watermark.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

The cockpit one? The Flight1 Pilatus PC-12.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo SAM simulators are a thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGa6i-DudIQ

https://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Nerds have been slamming the P3D team for their lack of interaction for the past month, so what do LM do? Shut them up completely with a new version!

I've also consolidated my post quoted in the OP to a blog format, and added a couple of new things.

Check it out here. Wordpress seems really convoluted so feedback welcome.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

http://www.mutleyshangar.com/features/jda/b24.htm

Flight Simulator will give you the most accurate, albeit sterile simulation.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

P3D regularly updated - 2.2 is coming on Monday. And if you need compatibility with FSX advice, just ask.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Get addons that are certified for P3D. The only thing I can't seem to get working properly is the iFly, but I guess it depends how much you value your money.

You don't really need to buy environment addons as LM are constantly improving it - with 2.2 last week they added ~beautiful clouds~. Try default first and see if you hate it.

FTX Global is probably worth it, but I'm a VFR man and allegedly it does strange things to your files.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Keeku posted:

Those who have been playing P3D 2: How is the stability compared to FSX? I love FSX, but very sick of the random game crashes (especially before landing after a long flight). Does P3D suffer from this or have they found how to fix it?

Totally fixed.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

fuckpot posted:

Anyone know of any Prepar3D v2.2 compatible planes that are free to download that laugh in the face of physics? I want a plane that can go into space and do 100000 knots. It should also look like a spaceship.

There's some fun stuff here.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Grawl posted:

So, I switched to Prepar3d. What are the "must have" add-ons?

Technically speaking just a weather engine like OpusFSX. Textures/scenery/aircraft as you wish eg REX, UTX, GEX, UKVFR, PMDG, Carenado. Maybe accufeel?

Also, Plan G.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

sellouts posted:

Does all of that stuff work with P3d? Pmdg I though specifically didn't.

Yeah you're right about PMDG - sorry I was at work and my brain wasn't engaged.

Basically have a think about whether you're a VFR or landclass man and take it from there.

If I (Grawl) was starting out and preferred landclass, I'd probably get FTX global.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Add some sexy pictures to each pack.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Of myself?

It's your thread - sell it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Avsim is a pretty poo poo place.

I always wondered why Bill let MSFS die since he loved it so much...

e: my bet is on facebook/google/valve to kickstart VR.

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 9, 2014