Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The biggest problem with Joysticks is that there no comprehensive guide online to building your own either. Most guides are either modding pre-existing joysticks, making arcade sticks, or showing off ancient things like this Greek monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

TheNotsosuperHero posted:

:siren: Kickstarter for the DCS:F-35A is up:

Link

Grover, paging Grover. Can't wait for lasers.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well I had an X-52 with a bad pinky button. I fixed the button but I can't re-assemble the controller properly because I'm dumb :hurr:. Fortunately I have a X-45 as backup but I have to use the basic HID driver with Windows 7 64bit. The controller still works but is there a way to take advantage of the modes switch and the mouse controller? Currently the driver sees both of those as a 3 button switch and 4 buttons respectively.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Daimo posted:

If you do open it up make sure you do it slowly and you're paying attention. The twist mechanism is spring loaded and quite fiddley.

This a hundred times, it won't go back right if you don't pay the utmost attention.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SkopeDog posted:

^^Dear god, please tell me you haven't run DCS in months.

Crap, I missed a sale on RoF? Balls, I really enjoy the trial version.

I'm pretty sure RoF is free to play now, but you have to buy more planes.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

SkopeDog posted:

I play it frequently with a group of friends since it's probably the best game for online co-op in regards to combat sims.

We even arrange our own campaigns within fictional settings, Ace Combat universe, and alternate history. Currently, we're working on a 2nd US Civil War that flares up in 1941 with the help of support from the Third Reich. It's got Union P-40s with Soviet Volunteer LaGGs and Commonwealth Volunteer Hurricanes vs. Confederate Buffalos, Emils, and MC.200s.

Why haven't you ever told us about this? This sounds great.

EDIT: Sorry, this came off as a bit "Arggh, you need to invite any goon who posts here!". I was just thinking it was interesting to see some alt-history stuff in IL-2.

LP97S fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 7, 2013

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Is there any reason that IL-2 46 isn't for sale on steam anymore? I know they're giving it away if you buy Rise of Flight but I've never seen them yank a game just for that.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Well I have the disc version but since the steam version updated I was looking into getting that someday so I don't need to rely on the disc and spend an hour patching.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Paper Mac posted:

If I'm looking for a modern Aces of the Pacific, is Pacific Fighters pretty much the only game in town?

If you can it would be better to grab IL-2: 1946 because not only does that have Pacific Fighters but every other WWII flightsim by those devs before Cliffs of Dover allowing you to play basically every part of World War II sans the Battle of Britain.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The X-55 looks interesting with it's removable grip like the old Thrustmaster Cougar. I wonder in in a few years with 3D printing people will be able to fabricate new sticks based off of real life stuff. Or let's be more honest, X-Wing parts.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm complaining about people over stating the capabilities of 3d printers in the D&D thread but that kind of thing is a really good application. Your big problem however is going to be the electronics.

I was reading the same thread, thought about pointing out the joystick idea as something more realistic but realized that it's the most goddamned goony thing ever aside from pizza roll fabrication and that's after the one guy talked about making Warhammer terrain with the tech. I thought about the electronics too and if people can figure out the connecter they're set or they can hack together a pcb board like most joysticks have for the switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Would RoF really benefit from allowing a pistol peripheral so you could shoot other planes and/or yourself in case of fire?