Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kilonum posted:

Last mission of my SF2 campaign, My F-86 got a little shot up

But at least I landed safely

Worked better than mine at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_VJYeCeMaw&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

The Ferret King posted:

Ha, what a shame. That looked really survivable until the huge explosion.
I was laughing for a good five or so minutes afterwards because I totally didn't expect my plane to just spontaneously explode. I'm glad I had enough foresight to hit the record button to capture this moment.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Close. Strike Fighters 2, which is basically just WoX with Vista/7 compatibility and slightly better graphics.
Also no multiplayer. I heard the WoX MP was buggy and lovely and no one played it anyway and that's why it was removed but it's a shame because I'd love me some SF2 multiplayer.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
"This site that I'm uploading my mods to has a limit of 6 downloads per day, better upload my mod in 8 different parts!" -The rear end in a top hat Who Uploaded NATO Fighters 5+ To Combatace.com

You know, totally not bitter about this or anything

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Oh god I've bought so much stuff this month why do they have to put Combined Arms on sale for $12 this month? :ohdear:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Combined Arms is a lot of fun. It's annoyingly light on content for the price (no campaign, only 12 MP and 13 SP missions included) and you can't use the quick mission generator to make a CA mission so you have to get used to using the mission editor*, setting up simple tank duels or sometimes a turkey shoot with AA vehicles and transport helos when I just want to see things crash, but man I'm just having too much fun driving tanks around and tangling with ground attack aircraft in AA vehicles. Also I'm really bad at it:

Barrel-launched ATGMs :arghfist:

*I've found that one way to make a fast mission is to use the generator inside the full editor and make a mission for one of the aircraft, and then just switch the player aircraft to AI and add in a ground command/JTAC slot for ground vehicle driving

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
On the topic of FC3 I'm disappointed they removed the cobra button that was present in LO:MAC. Pulling sick cobras in the middle of dogfights for no reason was the best. :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So, uh, I may have just discovered the cyclone option in the weather options in the DCS mission editor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpCIsinI6lI&hd=1
Maybe I went a little overboard.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Sappo569 posted:

Their new method of applying patches is MUCH better than previous (Read: none)

But they really need to have it seek out torrent sources etc for more bandwith
It's literally faster for me to uninstall, redownload the latest version from their torrent, and then reinstall my modules instead of updating.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I'm holding out hope they either let you register your module keys in Steam or give you Steam keys on their site so you can register them. Though if they do go this route I wonder how they'll handle Flaming Cliffs 3.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
They've stated they plan on doing the A-10A, F-15C, Su-27, and Su-25 as their own modules, which leaves out the Su-33 (unless that one is bundled with the Su-27) and the three MiG-29s. They stated those four were the ones coming "later this year" so maybe those are the ones that are going to be completed by December and they'll do the rest after.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Uselessness posted:

Yeah it's not the clearest terminology, the advanced flight model as I understand it means it's based on physics, rather than the more basic Flaming Cliffs crafts that are more scripted - they're limited in their flight dynamics compared to what they might be capable of using the AFM. This includes details like damage modelling - if you bumble a landing in a Mig-29S (simple flight model) you'll likely just explode. If you bumble a landing in the A-10A, the landing gear will crumple and break, you'll skid - the physics allows that to happen.
I hope when the Su-27's AFM gets implemented it means we can do cobras again. Doing cobras in a middle of a gunfight in LO:MAC was never not fun.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah ED is making DCS: Hornet to be released who knows. I'd actually be more surprised if they made more modules on the level of Flaming Cliffs as FC is essentially LO:MAC in a new engine. Everyone else DCS with the exception of Combined Arms (obviously) has being full sperg clickable cockpits.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Well the X65 apparently has twist but that's also kinda expensive and more importantly it's force-sensing which some people don't like so :shrug:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So with regards to DCS on Steam:

9 August 2013 - DCS News Update posted:

We are also working with Steam to improve our presence there by: allowing activation of DCS Steam products from key purchase sources other than Steam; enabling Overlay, play time tracking, and achievements; and we hope to take advantage of Steam Workshop for items such as missions and campaigns.
So we'll probably be able to activate our poo poo eventually.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

MrYenko posted:

So, BS2 upgrade customers are still hosed.

Grats, ED.
Also anyone with FC3 is screwed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Welp they apparently fixed the DCS: Huey price so now it's -10% instead of -80%. Guess that solves my dilemma of whether or not to pick it up for $10.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Anyone following DCS development? The module I've been looking forward to the most, DCS:Mig-21Bis, had it's release date pushed back to march 2014 :( But holy poo poo does it look good. It even surpasses DCS:A10 in fidelity from the screenshots they've shown so far.
I'm still loving waiting for DCS: Hornet :mad:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Obsidius posted:

Their updater for me would fluctuate in speed and had a habbit of stopping and somewho needing to be done again iirc, overall it was a pain in the rear end to use.
Pretty much this. The only reason I stick to the standalone version instead of the Steam version is because Steam doesn't have Flaming Cliffs 3.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Flaming Cliffs 3 just hit Steam! :toot:

I can't use my FC3 key to activate on Steam though. :eng99:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Megadyptes posted:

My key isn't working either.

DCS World patch was released a few days ago. Saw this while skimming through the changelog:
With DCS version 1.2.7 an installation of Lock On: Modern Air Combat is no longer required for FC3 installation.

nice, also the game is just DCS Flaming Cliffs 3, no mention of Lock On anymore, guess they sorted out whatever weird poo poo they had going on with Ubisoft.
You forgot the best patch note:

quote:

Support for Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 stick is now working again for all modules. Tuning is ongoing.
:v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
You can finally register your FC3 key on Steam now by the way if anyone else is like me and has forgotten to check in a while.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Clearly they should just make DCS:Zeus. :v:
Well I recall reading somewhere that they do want to do a "DCS level" simulator for some ground vehicles at some point so maybe you'll get your wish*!

*One day far far in the future when they actually get their poo poo done

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
At least sub sims have been made on an infrequent basis. For surface ships your options are like, Dangerous Waters and... Dangerous Waters. I just want to drive an Arleigh Burke man is that too much to ask?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Can't wait to have sick tank battles in my DCS tank sim in Nevada sometime in 2030!

Just kidding, we'll probably still be waiting for them to release the Nevada map

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you're just wanting a high fidelity tanking sim without the aircraft modeling Steel Beasts now offers a pretty reasonable subscription model.
I don't know, I just hate the concept of paying yearly for a game, and the non-subscription version needs a loving USB dongle for their DRM.

ethanol posted:

SH4 was good and works on windows 8. SH5 sort of works. If you're playing old sims, you're better off installing a windows xp partition. Then you can play dangerous waters. :getin:
Dangerous Waters worked just fine last I checked on my Win 7 x64 install. At least, it seemed playable and I pushed buttons randomly and accidentally lit up a neutral cargo ship with my 76mm.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

First of all, you need to be in one of the Air Combat modes. I don't recall the keys off of the top of my head, but I think by default BVR mode (for launching AIM-120s) is "2" and Dogfight mode is 5 (useful for guns/sidewinders).
Key 2 is BVR, but 5 on the F-15 doesn't do anything by default. Keys 3 to 6 are all various dogfight modes, with 3 being vertical scan (tries to lock up anything in a very, very narrow arc from the nose up), 4 being boresight, 5 being HMD (which the F-15 doesn't have, hence it doing nothing), and 6 being longitudinal missile aiming mode (basically letting your missile acquire the target itself instead of slaving the seeker to your radar). Key 6 also doubles as FLOOD mode if you have a sparrow selected.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
That's just the standalone module of the Flaming Cliffs F-15C, much like the Su-25 and A-10A modules; if you have FC3 already you can ignore it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Elukka posted:

...so I can get the F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S and Su-25 in one package for 46€, or I can buy them separately for 21€ each? :downs:
Well the reason they started selling the separately was to get around the issue that Flaming Cliffs 3 required a copy of Lock On: Modern Air Combat due to some weird rights issue or something. They evidently solved that (hence the it now just being Flaming Cliffs 3 instead of Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3 and it getting a steam release), but I guess they decided to keep selling separate versions of the planes anyway? Their pricing is pretty :grognard: though. Also I just realised the F-15C is $25 while the A-10A and Su-25 are both (and were released at) $15 hah.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
That happened to me when I first installed DCS on Steam (every single control page was blank) and I fixed it by just launching a mission which made everything appear.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dandywalken posted:

Dynamic campaign: Raid ALL SORTS of weddings!
Better be set on the Nevada map :colbert:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
DCS World is free which is why you didn't have to pay for it :ssh:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Kilonum posted:

Thirdwire doesn't own the publishing rights to SFP1/WoI/WoE/WoV, Strategy First does.
Hey was it you that rehosted the download for NATO Fighters 5 in the old thread to avoid combatace's terrible download limits? I swear that was a thing that happened but my memory's kinda poo poo. If it's true is it still up? I need to redownload it but don't want to deal with having to download it over two/three days due to download limits.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Well the Su-25T is technically part of Flaming Cliffs (being that it was the original Flaming Cliffs that added it) but that's just arguing semantics cause it's a freebie.

mlmp08 posted:

IMO, flaming cliffs.

You get:
The free SU-25T you could have for free anyway
A-10A: An A-10 with slightly less capability and no clickable buttons. On the other hand, it's piss easy to use compared to an A-10C. You'll be in the air while you listen to other goons fiddle with buttons for ten minutes.
F-15C: Proper flight model, 6 DOF cockpit
TF-51: Trainer P-51D, no guns. I think this is free anyway now? Clicky buttons.
SU-27: You almost can't crash this thing, because it's so maneuverable. With TrackIR and IR missiles, holy poo poo, you are an ungodly helldemon if you manage to get past the point where F-15Cs should have murdered you with BVR AMRAAMs.
SU-33: A SU-27 that can use a carrier
Mig-29 of various types: This thing is fast, has badass weapons, and runs out of fuel in like 3 seconds.
You missed the plain Su-25 which isn't free. The TF-51 is not technically part of FC3 but that doesn't matter cause it's a freebie to everyone.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

MrYenko posted:

If ED just copy-pasted the A2A Accu-Sim B-17 into their WWII pack, gave it weapons and multi crew, I could die a happy man.

B-17 Flying Fortress III, essentially. Dare to imagine ten Goons on a six hour mission. :v:
Dibs on ball gunner

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Trying to get back into Strike Fighters 2 and holy poo poo I'd forgotten what a horror show the community could be for flight sims, especially for mods.

The Nato Fighters 5 one isn't that bad if it wasn't for the fact that it's only hosted on a site that caps the number of files you can download per day (and it's split into eight parts so you HAVE to download it over multiple days).

But I was looking through the other mod sites listed on the Thirdwire site, and there's these clowns:

http://cplengineeringllc.com/SFP1/

While their modded planes look cool to access them you need to:

1. Register for the forums. This doesn't actually grant you access to download though, for that you have to:

2. Apply for access to download their files by submitting a formal application including your:

First Name, Last Name, City, State, Country, Email, Internet Service Provider :shepface: , Username, Password

3. They will then *consider* your application and *maybe* allow you access to download video game planes (after 3 business days).

If you try and download without these authorizations they autoban your IP.

Seriously, no wonder the SF2 creator got fed up and switched to mobile games...
Yeah, thankfully Kilonum is a chill rear end bro who has rehosted NF5 so I didn't have to bother with combatace's terrible download limit https://mega.co.nz/#!nEsVnAoZ!J9ePLDwyQRGj4Tn8SEJ_3xdsntJLa0vX7TbvsABTVSc but the skunkworks poo poo is hilarious. Especially since as far as I know they're the only place to get a Viggen for SF2.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Megadyptes posted:

I thought the Scandinavian Front mod had them but nope :( regardless TSF is a pretty cool mod, fly swedish planes against sowjets in a series of campaigns over the baltic from the 50s up to modern day :sweden:
http://combatace.com/files/file/14567-the-scandinavian-front-2/
Funny you should mention that mod, since I used to have an install of that (before my old HDD failed) and that specific mod is actually how I came to find out that the Viggen is only available from Skunkworks since I thought it was strange that there was no Viggen and went looking for a model.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I've since gotten rid of the screenshots from it, but I once did a mission in a Tu-95 carrying a Tsar Bomba. I missed the airfield by like a kilometer and a half but still destroyed everything there and remotely nearby.

I was flying as high up as I could under that heavy of a load and still got caught in the blast radius. :ussr:
First time I fired a nuke in SF2 it was low altitude versus strike aircraft, and the thing failed to lock and just sort of limp-dicked into the ground:

INTERCEPT SUCCESSFUL :c00lbert:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Megadyptes posted:

I remember an old game F/A-18 Korea that had nukes. I nuked the poo poo out of Seoul when I was a kid.
There was also F-22 Lightning III, which had a tac nuke which, incidentally, shows up in the demo. "why do they only give you one bomb? How the hell am I supposed to kill anything with this? Oh well just going to drop it for funsies." -Me right after taking off

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

OhsH posted:

ITT goons tell a guy he's wrong about his personal choice on how to spend time
Can I just empty quote this cause I mean lmbo seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

The Geoff posted:

Yeah that's right, you can't transfer these purchases to steam from the standalone game. There is always a steam sale on DCS modules within two weeks of the standalone sale though, so you won't have to wait for long.
Did they stop doing that? I remember back when DCS World hit Steam all you had to do was throw your CD-Key in and you'd get the Steam version.