Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Either that or they should just keep them away from places where bullets are.

Makrond posted:

Fair warning, I've never gotten a windmill start like this to work properly myself, largely because when I do have engine troubles it's because some Russian jerk put a 12.7mm bullet through my engine. For some reason jet engines don't like getting bullets through them. Seems like a design flaw to me.

Please tell me there are videos of this. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It depends if making a flight sim is a horrendous amount of work and money. It just may be that the return you get for the work isn't worth it.

Well, I'm 90% sure that's the case.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Been playing some Rise of Flight. It's pretty cool. There's something totally :xcom: about shooting a guy full of holes and his rudder falls off and whacks you in the face. I also like the way that you can plink a dudes engine at the start of a dogfight and then 5 minutes later it'll die.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Any ideas when the next newbie night will be? That looks like fun.

And, I seem to remember some video showing a bunch of crazy landings, complete with demonstrations on how to do them in FSX, is that link floating around somewhere?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bought the PMDG Jetstream.

After around four hours I can start both engines most of the time without setting them on fire. :getin:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a horrible noob so take all this with a grain of salt but:

I seemed to follow the tutorial instructions step by step but it kept not starting properly or burning up, in the end I just started following this abbreviated startlist: here and got the hang of it that way.

As The Ferret King said I like it because it has a good balance between too easy and too hard. And I really like some of the systems like the way you prime the localizer and it'll grab it when you hit it, instead of say the default 737 where you have to hang your finger over the nav button and when the diamond moves you press it.

There are also some interesting techniques to flying it, as you probably know you can't go bellow 22% thrust, so one of the ways you can descended without going super fast is to turn on the IAS autopilot, and kill the throttle, and then the computer will try and keep the selected speed by dipping the nose down.

Anyway, I was looking at the other 'cheap' PMDG craft the MD11, is that good as a step up from the Jetstream?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Made my maiden voyage with the Md-11 from a cold start.

Had an electrical system problem, and the autopilot tripped the autospeed and for a few moments I wasn't sure if it was going to kill me.

So yeah, seems like a 100% realistic simulation to me. :)

Plane is awesome :staredog:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Air Hauler is kinda worth it just for when it sends you to Dade-Collier or Montréal–Mirabel and you're like "What the gently caress is this place"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got the game to run with software rendering at 1024x768 easily enough but getting it to recognise my card is a pain as said.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They are also selling FSX stuff at their website as well.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Anything but FSX. I mean, I love FSX and the crazy poo poo you can do with it but it's an old engine. And X-Plane looks amazing at night.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As long as I can install those awesome free World of Ai packages I'm fine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hows the multiplayer work?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If we fly jubmos I want it to be a big enough airport I can fly my MD-11.

I've gotten it down that I can unplug my joystick after I hit 1,000 feet :radcat:

edit: Oh I fully would prefer Waco if we can. :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

As long as you PROMISE not to use it for entertainment you sick freak.

Yeah don't even think about it, nerd.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

Is there any reason to get a cheap flight sick if I have an xbox or ps2 controller?
Also all those saitek buttons look sexy and make me nerdgasm but dedicated button boxes for flight sim may be overboard.

If you want to play anything with any more fidelity than say, Rise of Flight, you really need at least a Xtreme 3D pro. You can take off and stuff with a Ps controller but fine movements are generally harder (like shooting something) and why you need a big stick, not to mention dog fighting having a throttle and a twist rudder is great and more intuitive than pressing buttons / using triggers.

If you want to fly a jumbo in FSX you really need a big stick because you need two hands for a controller and you only have limited amount of buttons, where as with a stick you have a hand free you can use for whatever in a pinch.

That's my experience, I played Rise of Flight with a Ps3 controller and FSX with a mouse for a while and a cheap stick is amazing. It's like going from a ps3 controller to a cheap wheel, like night and day.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extreme-Joystick-Silver-Black/dp/B00009OY9U

This is the uhhh, Driving Force GT of sticks. I guess :shrug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Colonial Air Force posted:

Not at the consumer level, but I think there are some yokes that are $1000+

I'd love a yoke with inbuilt stick shaker.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Checklist:

Flip switches

Take off

Kill filthy capitalists

Land(???)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Barnsy posted:

It's the difference between mediocre textures, modelling, sounds, and half the buttons not functioning, and a complete experience that's as close to the real thing as you can get.

For me, it's the difference between getting bored in a few minutes and something you'll want to learn about for hours if not days.

Yeah this sums it up really well.

I own the PMDG J41 and the Md-11. J41 is a cool introduction aircraft because it has simple systems and it can't fly as far so you're not doing really long as flights at 4X time compress, as long as you learn to feather the props on startup (I assert that the tutorial neglects to mention this which is why I kept catching on fire) it's easy to get a handle on. And all the basics like programming the flight computer and the like can then be extrapolated into a more complicated aircraft.

Md-11 is also older so it runs better, and you can straight up import an FSX flight-plan if you don't want to manually program it in. And also, flying the NATs from New York to London is really awesome to do :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh there's a fun freeware Texan II kicking about somewhere also

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kilo how does the MD-11 run compared to the 747? I was looking at it but considering how I lose 10 fps flying the Jetstream I'm worried it'll be a slideshow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheAsterite posted:

Wasn't Microsoft's Flight supposed to be just that?

It was but it kinda missed the point of why people played FSX.

At the end of the day FSX let you do anything you wanted and Flight was more focused and people had been playing those games for so long and were used to being able to do anything. In hindsight it seems really loving stupid, if you have one game where you can VFR from Biggin Hill to the coast in a cesna, fly a jumbo from New York to London, and fly a ultra light through the grand canyon, or a game where you can fly around Hawaii in high detail which one are you going to pick?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Imagine if in ETS2 only had a single stretch of highway in the middle of France, beautifully modeled near realistically in length and detail. Extra roads were promised but each had a fee and only one ever got released, half your trucks could only be driven in third person and people with stuff like G-27 wheels had no use for the hardware.

That's what ETS2 would be if the MS Flight bean counters were in charge.

Yeah, this is pretty much it.

Goddamn it it still pisses me off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

Is there a better free atc for fsx?

I just dropped 40 on air hauler Because it seems like itll be a bit better than fse Because its Offline

Oh man, just make sure you have a DB editor ready for when that "game" fucks you out of something.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

e.pilot posted:

If you can even call it that, it's all but worthless.

Hey shut up, on occasion it vectors you towards the ILS like it's sposed to.

tater_salad posted:

:sperg: it's an air cargo company simulator.

I think I already grabbed a db editor in case something screws up

I thought vatsim is totally against time acceleration at all.. generally I go to 1x once I start getting vectored to land.. if im in a c172 I may go to 2x for vectors because its slow as poo poo

The best one is when it crashes mid flight, and auto saves, so when you boot up it spawns your aircraft (with battery off) in mid air and you have to frantically start up before it crashes.

Also with FSX there is a poo poo tonne of great freeware traffic stuff you can get. So you can literally have every national reserve guard airport filled with F-18s that only fly on weekends, occasionally. Or have PAN-AM 727s at every airport.

Apart from Fedex, for some reason that's really hard to find freeware and involved me having to make the ai-files myself.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 31, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kilonum posted:

FSX, the PMDG, and it's the 777-200LR which is the longest range 777.

Also, FSX crashed 3 hours in so welp :goleft:

The more things change the more they stay the same...

Kilonum posted:

Sometimes, I hate FSX

2 miles from landing after a 1500 mile flight and this happens

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They said they're not porting their legacy planes.

No joke, if that port the MD-11 to another platform I'd buy X-plane or P3D in a heartbeat.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

^^ this.. and missions at popular places get eaten up fast.

I picked up air hauler and have been having fun with it because I can buy a base anywhere and buy any plane and the popular planes aren't jacked right quick. Plus you start with some cash not an empty account and a dick in the wind.

The disadvantage is you can't just pick a place rent a plane and fly.

Edit missions also don't always happen from where you are so you need to fly a lot of repositioning flights until your rep goes up enough to hire a pilot.

You fix that by flying missions between San Diego and TJ until you have enough rep to get a big enough loan to buy whatever plane you want.

Just make sure you have your DB password cracker ready for when FSX crashes, and reloads your MD-11 on final, cold and dark. :argh:

I was WAY. WAY too into flying the MD-11 with Airhauler. I was loving around with ai stuff so I had Fed Ex (which I had to do manually), plus all the Air National Guard and poo poo like that. And then PanAm because gently caress it, why not have a bunch of 727s at the gates.

Could never get the Braniff ai files to work though.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 17, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

simble posted:

I just started using PFPX and TOPCAT together and man does it tickle my sperg bone. It makes flying the big stuff really cool. It touches a special part of my brain when my fuel remaining lines up perfectly with my planned waypoints.

Yeah this.

It's also great having all the correct information to punch into the MCDU at the start of the flight.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skoll posted:

Battle of Stalingrad is half off again on Steam.

If I can't fly around with my buddies in a Dynamic Campaign calling them tovarish then I'm not interested :colbert:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love how dedicated the Australian VATSIM people are. There's always a bunch of ATC but only like, 4 people flying planes in all of Australia. :allears:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

darth cookie posted:

Also its mostly brown and flat once you leave the coast. The centre is more red though.

Yeah this, unfortunately. Most of the major routes are pretty lame.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jarmak posted:

After getting hooked on trading in Elite and my recent addiction to using my trackIR and pedals for Euro Truck Sim I've realized it isn't the lack of combat that keeping me from getting into the civilian aviation sims, its the lack of game. Someone please make a flight sim where I can start doing sightseeing tours or some poo poo in a lovely seaplane or single engine Cessna and grow into owning a air freight or airliner empire.

There are addons for FSX but they're all kinda lovely to be quite honest.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Whatever happened to MS Flight?

They shut down the team that made it for reasons that I don't think were ever explained and then tried to make their own which flopped horribly for not being as good as a game that was 6 years older.

It's sad, I think FSX is still the easiest way now to get into flying with all the ridiculous free poo poo you can get for it.

edit: AFAIK the FSX team is making a Suba Diving Sim or something? :psyduck:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DancingMachine posted:

I played it yesterday with my son and it worked fine, including DLC. This was the non-steam version, which yeah I don't see a non-sketchy download for it anymore. Presumably the steam version still works.

The "challenges" are honestly pretty fun. :\

I bought it and enjoyed the poo poo out of it, it's sad in some respects it went away. But the skies are so lifeless compared to FSX + 5 minutes fooling with free traffic mods.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just popping in to say the MD-11 is a great plane. :)

I still, even though I haven't flown it in like six months, have the checklists hand written by my desk at all times.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Booted up FSX for the first time in forever and did a short flight in the Jetstream. I kinda forgot how to use the autopilot (ie set the IAS to the ideal climb speed and let the plane sort it out) but I still managed to pull the most ridiculously smooth buttery landing in the wind and rain.

Then I loaded up air hauler, hacked my save and gave me 999,999,999 dolleryoos so I could buy and MD-11 and start hauling. :getin:

Welp time to boot up TOPCAT.

The Ferret King posted:

Hey thanks. Of course, I don't normally record my lovely landings, but I assure you I've made plenty.

The best is that Il-2 landing you pulled that you have in your channel. :stare:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Get rid of anything you'd need an emulator or dosbox or dualboot to run. Youll spend a ton of time trying to get it running only to find that it wasn't as good as you remembered.

Unless the game is Aces of the Pacific where I can assert that that game is exactly as good as you remember it. Apart for it sending you on patrols without enough fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just flight has an Alabeo sale right now, 40% off which for flight sims I guess is pretty good.

If you wanna buy that racing plane they made so you can have the experience of flipping the aircraft during take off now's the time I guess.