Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up the Carenado Piper 28 Arrow in the Steam sale today. Does anyone else have it? It seems pretty lovely for a payware plane to be honest, the textures on a lot of things are mediocre at best and none of the dials are aligned with their clickspots. I could swear that I've downloaded better quality planes for free.

Is this just kind of how Carenado is or did I just manage to buy their worst product?

vvv - welp, at least it was cheap :smith:

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've had similar issues while using Steam Broadcasting. I believe it is a flaw with how it hooks into FSX and the way FSX displays tooltips or the reference sheet windows. If you have cockpit tooltips on then Steam's stream will freak out if you mouse over anything. Though sometimes Steam Broadcasting will just break for me regardless of what I'm doing in FSX so I'm unsure of an exact cause.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Get a flight all set up and loaded on the ramp or wherever you want, put the aircraft in whatever state you want (cold and dark or ready to go) and save the flight as the default one. It'll be the standard free flight option unless you make a different one the default.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, DCS has a mission & campaign maker. But it is pretty clunky and tends to break one way or another with every patch.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wish they would revisit the Cub and bring it up to the same level of detail as the Cherokee 180 so I could be a super sperg about a tail dragger.

For $20 I would really recommend it even if you're barely ever going to fly it. Especially if the one on Steam comes with the Accusim plugin.

e: I would actually suggest getting it through Steam even if it doesn't have the plugin. Limited activations are a thing if you buy it from A2A's store.

vvv - I was talking about the Cub. The Carenado Cherokee hasn't aged well.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 19, 2015

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've had XP10 for months and feel its a better overall experience, even if some stuff is unbelievably clunky. I don't play it often (read: within the last 4 months) because I'm too invested into FSX to just stop using it and I don't really have the hard drive space for both, especially with FSX already taking up more than 250 gigs in addons.

It definitely seemed like the freeware stuff for XP10 was miles ahead of the FSX equivalent. I found a Piper J3 that was easily comparable to the A2A Cub for FSX and it cost all of $0. Also if you're interested in flying helicopters at all then XP10 is the automatic choice thanks to FSX helicopter flight model being absolutely dreadful.

tl;dr - XP10 flying is much closer to the real thing from personal experience with both sims and real planes. But if you're already invested into FSX then I'd just spend the $$$ from a refund on more poo poo for it.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, FSE is pretty great for giving all my puttering around in FSX some form of meaning. I should probably move my little cub from KOLM to somewhere I actually fly often.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lobsterminator posted:

Is there a / should we create a group in FSE for us goons?

I went ahead and made "Goon Air." The group is currently set to take 10% of assignment pay to pay for fuel and rental costs, if that seems to be much then let me know. Should be public to join for now. I'll work on adding jobs to the group soon. Also I'll be throwing some of my aircraft into the group so you guys can use them if you want.

Give me suggestions on regions you guys want to fly around and I'll try to add jobs from those areas to the group.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 10, 2015

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Added some flights coming out of Helsinki and Stockholm. I forgot that you can also just choose "Fly for Goon Air" from the "my flight" page if you'd like to fly your own jobs for the group.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mitt Romney posted:

Can you accelerate time when using the economy plugin?

Yes, though they do have a simulated flight hour cap to prevent abuse. You can only fly 30 "simulator hours" within 48 real hours on a rolling clock setup. The website itself manages it, you'll find it on the top right of most of the pages. It plays fine with up to 16x time acceleration IIRC but might handle more.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Before setting up jobs you might want to see what kind of planes are available. I was super thrilled when you set up jobs out of CNK4 until I saw how few aircraft there are in the area that are up to the task.

Yeah, my bad. I'll leave the jobs available just in case something capable shows up there. But I'll pay more attention to aircraft at the departing location next time.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So 10% of assignment fee taken by the group definitely isn't enough to cover costs seeing as I didn't take FBO fees into account. So if those of you in the group are cool with it I'll raise it to 20%. Or I can keep funneling fakeplanebucks into it from my own account.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Also aside from the extra missions how do groups work?

Assuming you're talking about FSE groups, its pretty much just another way of flying under one name and pooling money together. The group can buy aircraft and FBOs for everyone in it to use. That's pretty much it unless you do some Chilkoot style dispatching.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You don't, leasing only applies to the person leasing it.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its worth it if you aren't expecting money out of it. Its nice to have a little place to call your own. It does require some upkeep otherwise it vanishes after a period of time, but I'm looking at buying a few around PAMR/PANC to have some more stuff to do.

As far as I know it allows you to generate jobs out of the FBO.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Diet Crack posted:

I don't seem to be able to find any 'Goon Air' under FSE flying groups, do you need to select it in the program? (I'm still waiting for game world registration)

It will be under the gameworld part of the site. Registration is pretty backwards and archaic (like most of flight simming) but usually goes through within 2 days.

Once you've got a gameworld account you can navigate to the "all groups" section and CTRL F for "Goon Air."

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's quite a loving difference to the supercub I've spent all my fixed wing time in. :stare:

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Every DLC for FSX:SE is on sale if anyone is interested.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A quirk about aircraft with their own fuel system (like A2A stuff) is that FSE doesn't seem to automatically set the fuel to the right level like it does with other aircraft. You'll need to set it to the correct starting levels with the A2A fuel manager before starting your FSE flight.

also the cherokee owns, definitely my favorite GA aircraft

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We've got an FSE forum group now, so we don't have to spam this thread with FSE group specific stuff. Thanks for the suggestion, EJ. Its on approval mode right now just as a sort of pubbie barrier.

Happy holidays, goons.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The temptation to give it the ICAO of COCK must have been strong.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Sure there was a cheaper and newer one in Iraq but gently caress that ferry trip.

I made this mistake and tried to fly a Tigermoth from loving Zimbabwe to Europe. I made it to Sudan before I sold it back.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Usually 1-2 days.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If I owned a half-decent super cub, yes. I've never found one from a site that doesn't scream "sketchy-as-hell" to me though.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They only really exist to fly the big tube liners, as FSE is focused on general aviation aircraft. You aren't going to make lots of fakeplanebucks with them, but its a nice change sometimes.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

d-liquor posted:

Ah I see, how do they compare pay-wise vs a smaller rented aircraft? Also, how much better really is owning vs. renting say a cessna 172/182 for just my own use (as opposed to renting to others, I feel like there isn't much net-gain after maintenance etc)?

You'll probably make the same amount or maybe very slightly more. If you're really just wanting the money then shuffling people around in a 208 all day is the easiest way (~10k fakeplanebucks for a fully loaded 60-80 nm on average I've found).

As for owning vs renting: Maintenance isn't actually that much, its almost always under 5k fakeplanebucks. You're not likely to make a big profit (or one at all unless you own a 208) but it isn't actually a major drain on your FSE bank. Owning the plane is nice if you would like to always have something to fly somewhere you enjoy flying, but with more common planes like the 172/182 its usually pretty easy to find one to rent anyways.

Either option ultimately comes down to if you find it neat to own a virtual aircraft.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

I'll kill you all.

Also, soapy, our group on the server site is open registration and I can't moderate the group on the community site site so I can't add goons. I didn't set it like that and can't undo it, apparently. You might want to fix it.

Yeah, it was originally like that so any goon that wanted in could just join while I was away. I'll set it to approval (or invite-only, their documentation is bad as to what "private" means) now.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 5, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I never ran into a carb icing problem until I started puttering around in the A2A Cherokee. Now I just leave carb heat on 24/7.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been looking at buying one of the smaller FBOs around PAWS, I've just been waiting to get one of my aircraft up there to use for supply ferrying.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sent you an invite to the group.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It pretty heavily depends on your aircraft and location though. My piper cub sat around Seattle for months and only had 2 flights before I gave it to the group. I was never actually expecting it to be used at all, but YMMV.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
$16 dry rental / $30 wet with a $25 distance cost.

A reminder for those of you in the FSE group: our new FBO at 3AK1 is up and running. If you're trying to do anything there make sure you check that FSX says you're there by using the NRST function on a GPS (if you have one). 3AK1's location in FSX is apparently different from its location in charts.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Also, is there a good resource about this whole economy thing you guys seem to be big into? I went to the website a while ago and didn't quite understand the mechanics of it. Is it a plugin for your sim or is it something else?

Its pretty much just another way to give some sort of purpose to all the fakeplane flying.

A quick rundown of how it works

Find plane/helicopter you want to fly on the website.
Load it full of assignments.
Start up your sim in that aircarft, at the location it is at on the website.
Fly assignments to destination.
Make fake :10bux:
Use that fake money to buy a plane/location on the website for shits and giggles.

Edit: here's a link to the manual, it doesn't explain everything but its a start.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You have to use either an external client or plugin depending on what sim you use. It'll check that everything is in place and register the flight when you engage the parking brake and stop/turn off the engines.

edit: I should point out that you have to tell it when you're starting the flight. For the X-Plane client you also have to tell it when you're ending the flight.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 15, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see why P3D wouldn't if you're shelling out that much for a product.

Any of the ORBX stuff is great, but I have no idea if it works with P3D.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

With FSX/P3D you have to tell the client you finished your flight by setting the parking brake. This means you gave to edit any plane that doesn't have one to add one, including float planes.

This is the only time I use the FSUIPC client instead of the SimConnect one. It'll count engine shutdown as ending the flight.

vvv - the FSE manual says you should be able to hit "ignore loading" and be fine.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

So our private group forum on the FSE page is being moderated and I had a thread deleted for swearing and then told I had to edit because it contained a plan I'd thought up that violated their ToS after I reposted without the swearing so I'm thinking a PGS thread would be a better idea.

Both because I don't trust the FSE staff to be at all fair unless they're being fair to their grognard kin and also because half the people posting in this thread don't give a poo poo about FSE.

Soapy what do you think about that? Technically you run barter town.

Possibly, if we're all still loving around with this in a month then yeah of course. I just don't want us to make a thread and then have people lose interest.

Sewer Adventure posted:

Can someone invite brianc (me) to the group please!

Sent you an invite.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vando posted:

Applied to join the forum group, is the game world group separate or invite only or is there some other arcane process that needs to be done?

They're separate and invite/application only. I sent you a gameworld invite. As for the internal forums everyone pretty much has to wait until I check it to get into the group there, because the site times out when I try to make anyone else forum staff. :wtc:

edit: rift & fps chat - I've tried FSX with a DK2, it isn't pretty. I get around 75 FPS which I thought was the "minimum required" for a good experience according to them. Running a 4790k @ 4.6, GTX660 and everything except traffic maxed out, also using ORBX South Alaska.

Rise of Flight is pretty neat with a Rift though.

SoapyTarantula fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 22, 2016

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

you've made GetStill very mad, please stop mocking the spergs on their own forums (even though its a loving private, invite-only group). stick to mocking them here so they don't ban everyone that just wants to fly fake planes for fake money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those of us that gently caress around with FSE, we've got our own thread in PGS now. We no longer have to spam this thread or resist the urge to talk using horrible adult language in the FSE forums.