Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I upgraded my computer and decided to get DCS World (the LOMAC stuff always ran lovely on my old system). Fun! I enjoy flying the Su-25 around. I really want to fly the MiGs that come in Flaming Cliffs 3 though. Do I seriously need to buy a copy of the old game just so that I can install this $50 new version?

I mean if FC3 were $20 or something then sure. But Why The Hell do you need to have the old game installed when they're charging as much as any other full sim? Is Flaming Cliffs 3 really worth 70 dollars + tax? Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Not a lot lately but I'm going to try to revive it over the coming weeks.

Ralith and i did some IL2 over the past week and 4.12 is a huge improvement. It's also finally a low maintenance game. Steam and GOG are both up to date and most of the stuff that used to make mods pretty much mandatory is now in the game itself.

Winter is coming so I'm going to have some time to organize games. This time it'll be Sundays during the afternoon from the look of things.

The thread is still up. Keep it bookmarked.

I'd definitely be up for that if we can ignore the massive modding poo poo. Back in the day it kept getting killed by the whole "oh, sure you can play with us. Just download nine gigs of mods in twenty-five different files and install them all one after the other and then screw with your mod activator settings for half an hour and you can hop right in!" A similar situation exists with ArmA.

Also let's not do the "take off, ferry three hundred miles at 20,000 feet, land" missions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Bananana posted:

Wow, quick replies. Ok.

Game is arma 3

Helos

Not goons

If you're doing combat helicopter stuff in ArmA I would suggest this, in order

1. landing without breaking poo poo
2. hiding behind terrain
3. not crashing into trees
4. flares

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That Flaming Cliffs 3 sure would be nice if you didn't require old-rear end bullshit games to activate it!

I just want my MiG-29 already. Last I heard they were going to do a standalone DCS World upgrade for the Su-27, but no word yet on the MiG-29. Why's it always the odd one out?

Also, when is that third-party MiG-21 coming out? drat am I ever looking forward to that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

With DCS version 1.2.7 an installation of Lock On: Modern Air Combat is no longer required for FC3 installation.

loving finally.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

How do I get my game to steam? The key gets rejected.

nullpunkt posted:

Devs said they asked Valve for keys, but they are still waiting for an answer. Wait and see I guess.

I bought Il-2 BOS from their website a while back and yesterday tried to put it on Steam, because screw using the stupid additional downloaders and stuff. Steam kept rejecting my key so I contacted their support line, and got a pretty rude set of replies.

quote:

Hi there,

I bought the game on the Il-2 website, but I later found that the game is now available on Steam. I like to have all my games in Steam if possible, so I'd like to associate my key with my Steam account. How can I do this?

Thanks.

quote:

Hi,

Please decide where you purchased the game: "I bought the game on Steam" (your 1st letter) or "I bought the game on the il-2 website " (your 2nd letter)

quote:

Hi,

I have only sent one letter about this -- the one quoted in your reply. I don't know what other letter you are referring to.

I bought the game on the il-2 website. I have not bought the game on Steam, but I would like the game to appear in my Steam library. I tried putting the key into steam as "Activate a product on Steam" but it told me the key was invalid.

Thanks.

quote:

Hi,

This possibility does not exist.

quote:

Can you deactivate the current IL-2 key that I have associated with my account, then, so it would no longer be functional, and issue me a steam key instead? I don't see the reason these two wouldn't be interchangeable. I would prefer to have the game on Steam just for the sake of simplicity.

Thanks.

quote:

Hi,

Sorry, this possibility does not exist.

Those are literally the entirety of their responses. Jerks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

DCS Mig-21bis confirmed to have alcohol cooled radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UxtYpBsf1E&t=47s
Also, the Soviet blue cockpit triggers something in the lizard part of my brain. Need to buy...

This video already pisses me off because the guy says the MiG-21's delta wing gives it "very high acceleration, but very poor handling and maneuverability." The wing shape has little to do with "acceleration", and by all accounts the MiG-21 is a highly maneuverable airplane, especially for its time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

Since landing during the day wasn't so hard, I thought I'd try a night landing (and nailed that, too):

That plane doesn't have a landing light?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I haven't used X-Plane in a while, but I think by default it always loads up the nearest airport to the last place you were when you closed the program. So you don't have to be stuck in San Bernardino all the time. Beyond that, I don't know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still like the shape of the Logitech sticks better than any other, but after years of heavy use of my 3D Pro the yaw axis broke and now it just spikes randomly all over the place. Same thing happened to my old Wingman Extreme Digital 3D, actually.

I have a Warthog now but I'd love a version of the old Wingman made with cast aluminum and hall effect sensors.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strike Fighters was always neat to me because I tend to get tired of playing Spitfires vs. 109s for the billionth time...but I also don't really enjoy cruising in a straight line at 30,000 feet and staring at my radar display then firing six AMRAAMs at six people I can't see and turning around. Early to mid Cold War stuff is perfect for what I like. You get radars that can track one guy, maybe, if he's above you and directly ahead, and weapons that really put the "miss" in "missile", so you get the Top Gun experience of struggling hard to maintain a lock, but eventually you have to get into a furball anyway and finish the fight with guns. Lots of variety.

Now that I have the F-86 and the MiG-21 in DCS, though, the full cold war experience is there with all the lovely missiles and radars you could want, so there's really not a lot of reason to do Strike Fighters other than the novelty of flying a plane everyone forgot existed and/or destroying an entire bomber squadron in one shot with an AIM-26.

(I'd still love DCS: F-106, even more if you could carry Genies. Apparently Eagle Dynamics are big babies about putting nuclear weapons in their game though.)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 13, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apparently this happens because merchants on Amazon selling used items frequently use scripts that look at what other people are selling the same item for, then pick the lowest one and automatically set their price just a little higher. When two such scripts start looking at each other it cycles into a feedback loop like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crossposting from the other thread because I'm inordinately proud of this :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ZekeNY posted:

Awesome. Put some Cyrillic labels on that, and it'll be the best thing ever. Hell, Thrustmaster should sell that version as an optional upgrade.

I wanted the English version because I can't read Russian, but now that I have all of the source files created, it's pretty easy to make more panel covers. I think I'm going to ask some people in the Languages forum to help me translate the labels. :ussr:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does this look like the kind of guy who cares about what his user-base thinks?

I remember back in the X-Plane 6 days he was working on allowing the engine to do combat simulation. Then 9/11 happened and he wrote a huge long screed on his website about how AIRPLANES SHOULD NEVER BE WEAPONS AND X-PLANE WILL NEVER SIMULATE COMBAT!!!!!! Sure enough, 15 years later and still no combat.

Dude has tens of millions of dollars too. Independent wealth from tech bubble 1.0 days or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

To the 15-year-old screed on a website that doesn't exist any more?

Or to a source about the millions of dollars? Go internet detective on him for a while (his name's Austin Meyer) and you'll find all sorts of stuff about his sports cars, his airplanes, and the millions he's donated to create animal shelters, for some reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

That's one pimped out 172.

Maybe he works on the F-35.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

What the hell is this from?

Looks like The Measure of Man, by Dreyfuss and associates.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's because flight sims are made by airplane spergs, not game developers.

A serious video game company with competent developers could probably pump out a new finished plane for DCS every three to six months, assuming they had access to all the important specifications etc. up front.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Florida Man did it, obviously. He's the world's worst superhero.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skoll posted:

Are you really trying to tell someone to base a purchase off of what some shitlord does with his money in his private time?

:fuckoff:

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!

(Seriously! Oculus can get hosed)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You sound like an Oculus "investor."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I am mad. MAD about VIDEO GAMES

So how 'bout that DCS. I haven't played it in about six months. Have they integrated the three different executables into one file yet? Does the Nevada map still cost fifty loving dollars?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have maybe an odd request but not sure where else to ask.

I bought a Thrustmaster Hotas X for Elite Dangerous and my son who is four just loves using it to fly the spaceships around.

But he's really obsessed with airplanes, are there any casual flight games that would use that Hotas that he could just casually fly around in if I get him setup? I've been out of the loop since Janes USAF.

Il-2 1946 with the realism settings turned down (no stalls, simplified engine management, arcade mode flight model, etc) would be fun if he likes to shoot guns and fly a lot of different planes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know why the developers can't just tell the superspergs to get hosed, because they're going to buy the simulator anyway regardless.

All of the bitching and moaning on the yellow forums was directly responsible for Il-2: Cliffs of Dover sucking big fat balls. I remember people demanding features ranging from "every bullet hole in your plane needs to be tracked in the textures across an entire campaign of missions" to "you should program in realistic herd scattering behavior when you fly low over a field full of cows, also add fields full of cows" to "when you crash over Germany you should have to play a stealth game to get your guy back to the coast or it erases your save."

After the game was released, I remember that people immediately started complaining that the Spitfire's negative-g fuel cutout behavior was modeled incorrectly and the engine shut off way too soon. What a bunch of idiots! Games have modeled this behavior for decades, and the Il-2 devs couldn't even get it right??? God, what does this mean for their attention to detail??? OMG, what a ripoff! Fix it so it's how it's supposed to be!!!!!!

...and then it turned out that the devs had actually flown in a Spitfire and carefully measured the g-loads that caused fueling issues, and their model was correct and every preceding one that the superspergs were basing their "knowledge" on was wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Regarding terrain, I really wish that some flight sim developer would pick up Anteworld/Outerra and start using that. Because then you can fly from a blade of grass to outer space with high fidelity, and who gives a gently caress if each rock is accurately modeled on a real-world counterpart as long as the general terrain geometry is correct?

The noisiest spergs, that's who.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

"My vast experience with flight simulators makes me an expert" is as hilariously cringeworthy as it is common in the flight sim community.

Same thing happens in ArmA. Back in the day I remember one guy on the goon server who tried to justify taking control of a mission with "okay, look, I've been in the poo poo at the big airsoft shoot."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ethanol posted:

Yes but be aware you're not allowed to have fun

This is literally part of the EULA, for those who don't get the joke. The simulator may not be used for entertainment purposes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think I found out why HOTAS Cougars are still going for pretty much their original MSRP even in used condition - whenever Hollywood needs a realistic-looking yoke for anything that flies in air or in space, they use the upper half of a Cougar.

Also, remember when Thrustmaster said the reason they made the upper half of the Cougar detachable is because they were planning on putting out *other* upper halves from other planes? Good times...

Batman v Superman

The Martian

There's also a Warthog in Prometheus, though I can't find a picture, and I'm sure I've seen them in other things too.

And lest we forget that the Enterprise-E is controlled with a Gravis Blackhawk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh. Looks pretty.

I had just assumed that X-Plane was on indefinite hiatus, since Austin's last blog posts were about how he was getting sued. Glad to see it's still moving along.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And the best looking helicopter ever built

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd love to see a rerelease of Comanche 3 and whichever F-22 game it was that let you drop atomic bombs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I miss that golden era from like 1992-1998 when the "mid-range" sim was still a thing. Like the Jane's and Novalogic stuff. You had a decent amount of realism, like your plane could stall and you had limited missiles and most of the cockpit buttons did something...but you didn't have to worry about whether you turned on the alternators in the correct order to just get the loving thing off the ground only to black out and crash and burn because you forgot to turn the knob under your seat that turns on the virtual oxygen.

I like being a super sperg once in a while, flying the DCS MiG-21 and its vodka-powered radar and literal "miss"iles, but you absolutely can't just pick it up and tear up the sky for a while, which completely turns off any newcomers who are interested in planes and want to play Top Gun.

Furthermore, the more that spergs complain that the flap retraction switch doesn't make the right kind of clicking noise, the longer it takes to develop a new plane and the more expensive it is at the end, and the worse the simulation performs -- and it was already running like garbage because it's coded on Pentium IIs by a bunch of Russians with no money.

The last games to really hit the balance of accessibility, fun, realism and performance to me were Il-2 1946 (which lasted far longer than it should have, but it's really long in the tooth now and it shows) and the Strike Fighters series (which really needed a multiplayer community to shine).

Sigh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

Any chance FSX or a flavor of xplane could run on any of the compute sticks or kangaroo mobiles?

I want to set up an ultra portable flight sim on a small booth to take to local high schools.

Why are you trying to shrink the computer down to the size of a matchbox when you're going to have to carry a large monitor and a bunch of peripherals anyway?

Just build a small-form-factor PC.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my favorite thing about that was when Il-2 Cliffs of Dover came out, after years and years of angry sperging and terrible suggestions from their userbase of garbage people, and the first thing people complained about (making a giant forum thread) was that the Spitfire's carburetor was cutting out under negative-g WAY too quickly! Oh my God! How could they gently caress up something like this! *snort* EVERYONE knows about the early Spitfire carburetor problem, how could these flight sim developers STILL model it wrong???? This is COMPLETELY loving with MY IMMERSION!!!!!!!! <autistic screeching>

Then one of the developers came to the forum and clarified that they had gotten access to a real early-war Spitfire and modeled its exact behavior, and actually, the engine really did cut out that quickly and all of the other flight sims the spergs were basing their "expertise" on were wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sorry, Lockheed, Google says it's ok to have fun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Truga posted:

Samsung showed this recently (pictures taken through the lenses), and it's going to be just the loving best.

Yeah but does Samsung make an actual VR headset? I though they just made things that you shove your giant phone into.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought that declaring emergencies and stuff on VATSIM would just get you instabanned.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have you considered the thread you are posting in?

there is someone in here who flies real-time transatlantic commercial flights for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought one of the big advantages of the Vive was that it has a camera on the front so you can do a mixed-reality thing. Can't you set it up so there's a button that overlays the camera feed so that you can look down at the keyboard? Or even have it do so automatically when the view tilts down past a certain point?

Cause if not that's a real fuckin stupid oversight