Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I got Flight Simulator Gold on a CD in German, since that's where I currently am, and wanted to install it on my MBP. Problem number one is that I have no DVD drive, so I had to copy the contents of both FSX CDs onto a pen drive, and installing from that. Now, whatever I tried, I always get stuck at DVD 2 not eating recognised. Following online suggestions, I tried various ways of merging the DVD folders on the pen drive, or just keeping them separate, creating ISO's and so on, but nothing worked. I can;t think of nothing else other than finding an external DVD drive (tricky), and then there's no guarantee that would work either. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It's been four days, and still nothing on the FS license deal. That community is horrible - it would seem it's something worth giving a poo poo about. I made the effort of digging out my Avsim login credentials just to see if the comments section under that article has any hints, but all I found was a bunch of 60 year old dudes chatting up 14 year old boys and ending every sentence with "LOL".

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Considering it's rumoured that it's Dovetail, that would make sense and fit into their model nicely.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Every add-on dev will probably need to pay a fee for having their add-on available for the Steam FSX, which will becone the norm in a year. Then there's the LM with their own FS branch, and Aerosoft is bound to move to X-plane now that this happened. What a glorious mess.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

New flight sim based on Microsoft Flight Simulator tech confirmed for 2015.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Did anyone try any of the FS iterations with an Oculus? There are videos out there. I swear, once this will become more common, it'll be the end of me.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

e.pilot posted:

God I wish x-plane would take off (pun intended)

Only way it ever takes off is if it gets bought out by Aerosoft and the nut job running it gets removed. The again, Aerosoft also seems to be run by a nut job, so :shrug:.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Sod the airliners, they are like buses. Better ask somebody to fly you around in a helicopter.

I don't think the term "fly" applies to helicopters.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The urge struck me for the first time in something like three years. Dug out an RJ-70 I bought ways back, installed FSX:SE for the first time, threw in demo Warsaw and Gdansk sceneries and flew back and forth. I honestly do not understand why I find this fun and it's iritating and confounding, also since now I want an X52, P3D v3, ActiveSky, VoxAtc, MyTrafficX, trackIR, a bunch of sceneries, maybe an A320 and hey an E170 while I'm at it, a beastly PC to run this and another one for the map apps and a gently caress off huge screen, please send help.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just lease it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Goetta posted:

The Aerofly Sim just popped up on Steam Early Access. I don't know anything about it than it visually looks pretty nice.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/434030/

I was considering getting it, but after seeing a few youtube videos, I'm going to pass for now. It seems to only have California now, though it's a photoscenery. Mesh is good, and since photosceneries work well with mountains, some things look great. Cities OTH look like poo poo, up until ~3000 feet. Exception here is downtown LA with excellent hand-placed autogen, which showcases the engine's capabilities atm I guess.

It seems to be amazingly smooth thanks to a modern engine, and with the devs aiming for a whole world approach and being open to add-ons, this could be interesting, esp. considering how Dovetail's mum right now about their flight sim.

Holy poo poo, we might end up with 4 civilian flight sims by the end of the year.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

froody guy posted:

The 3 others being?

FSX
Dovetail
X-Plane

Wildcard: Pr3p@r3d

Comedy option: Flightgear

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 21, 2016

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Welp, guess I know what I'll be doing this afternoon.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Quick trip report from AH2. It's still based on an Access database, but the code behind it seems to be way smoother than the previous iteration. There's a very robust system of airport and factory construction. There's also a certification layer - starting out, I had to take a Cessna, climb it, point in a direction or two and land smoothly. As previously, weather, time of day or regional flight restrictions don't seem to matter that much, so with real weather, you might end up loving yourself by flying into IMC. The connector with FSX (SE for me) works flawlessly.

I haven't had any time with FSE, but from what I read, it seems pieces of that are either in or will be, including airlines and a shared airplane marketplace.

It's not horrible so far.

EDIT: Assigned my persona as an AI pilot to a job, hosed up my savegame, new company here I come. It's Early Access.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 28, 2016

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

LordPants posted:

But do you hav to start at the bottom flying cessnas because "realism" and "challenge" or can you leap straight into an MD-11?

edit: not that it matters because you can just crack the access database password.

There are multiple starts based on difficulty. The easiest has you starting with a Learjet. Not MD-11, but not a Skyhawk, either. I went the opposite way and putter around my area in a 172 with 100k starting cash in the bank.

AI pilots and airplane usage & maintenance meters are in place bur not operational. If you're looking to save the 10 euro by joining EA, keep in mind you're buying something unfunished.

Also, the F-18 is available for purchase from the get-go, so you can carry packages at sonic speeds.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So they stop selling things because of hosting costs? The flight sim "business" community is almost as hosed up as grogs.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It's great people managed to update the stock FSX fix and navaids database. One thing's that bugging me is the outdated airspaces. Is anyone aware of any initiative to update those? I only found one project limited to the UK, and it seems airspaces air particulary difficult, as they're all baked into a single world .bgl file.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Don't. We're not there yet. There's a new gen of GPUs coming around, and by the time we get to VR2, it's going to be better for less money.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

More info and a video about Dovetail's Flight Sim World is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1RxSdoJzA

Early access. Direct X. Modding tools. Million graphical tweaks.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I've spent the last few hours flying around, here are my thoughts.

- It's the FSX engine brought up to modern times and updated. Texture resolutions are higher, effects are better and there are new effect thrown in. It feels really good. Things like tree and building densities are upped significantly, to the level of good custom sceneries. Clouds are looking great. Load times are considerable, but shorter than a fully loaded FSX.
- It comes with the whole world, and a really great set of ORBX-like default sceneries. Some places are better than others - Germany and the UK have a better road vector set than, say, Poland, which not only is bare, but actually uses an outdated AFCAD. I also flew briefly around LA and the desert, and It looked really great.
- Most airport and sceneries are basic, but actually done quiet well; EDDF is a good example - it has all the buildings, some of them custom, but generally very simplistic, so their quality is slightly lower than the "premium" airports you'd get out of the box with FSX (say, like SEA). Surprisingly, at least for central Europe, the mesh seems to be really good, with all the hills around the Rhein, for example, nice and rounded. Auotgen is great, dense, and easily ORBX quality (if not actually done by them).
- I think the airplane feel is different, and it has a better, I shall say, fidelity to it. Airplanes feel a bit heavier, but are also more precise in steering and give better feedback. I don't know how far they changed the flight model, or if it's the way the did their base aircraft.
- There are some really awesome effects added - proper rain splashing on the windshield, wind noise on the fuselage and wind gusts throwing you around. Not only that, some elements vibrate die to the wind gusts, so the J-3 cub, for example, is really fun to fly with the side door trembling. There seem to be some ActiveSky-like effects added, including up and downdrafts around clouds and on approach. During a descent, the upset airflow over wings shaking the cabin also seems simulated, though I have to say these effects, at the moment, seem very muted.
- Sea coasts and water are bloody gorgeous, with little boats leaving water trails everywhere. Actually, the whole things is gorgeous. There's a great color palette out of the box, the horizon is handled nicely and fog effects are also done competently. It's really, really pretty.
- The flight planner is now one of the main interface elements, and while currently it seems to lack a lot of functionality, it's actually done very well. It does seem to be made with GA in mind more than heavy iron, but honestly it's a great improvement over FSX.
- It comes with 6 great GA aircraft, ranging in size from a Diamond up to a PA-46. They're all done really well, and while you'll quickly find some visual simplification here and there, they are great models with good characteristics and high quality textures and instruments. They actually simulate the circuit breakers, which was surprising, and come with fully functional nav systems. I think the AIRAC and airspace boundaries have been updated, too.
- It comes with seasonal textures and effects.
- Weather, time of day and season selection is currently disabled and only presets are available, though, to be fair, there's a full set of them. It's also in progress.
- There's an ATC system and it's also reworked FSX stuff, though currently it only does very basic VFR aerodome navigation. There isn't even an ATIS, but again, this seems to be an Early Access thing.
- Performance is stable, if not ideal. When the game slowdowns, it does it for good reason and does it without jerks. I was impressed by this. I'm running a GTX970 and at 1920x1080 I had a solid 30 FPS throughtout with all settings on HIGH and scenery on ULTRA. Landing in Frankfurt, next to the dense city center, or Heathrow, will probably take you to around 20, but again, fully playable.
- TrackIR and joystic support works out of the box.
- AFCADs are a bit messed up sometimes - Heathrow is missing buildings, for example, but the parking spots are them are in.
- There's a whole system for missions, career tracking and licensing, though it looks like it's comeplety optional.

In general, I really like it. I was never thrilled about Train Simulator and the quality they delivered with it, but this seems better. There's no doubt they'll bank heavily on DLCs - the game is completely set up to be customized in every area. The underlying engine is solid enough though, and even now, in EA, it's... pretty loving great.

I made a video of myself flying in a PA-46 with TrackIR and no talking. There's lot's of looking around and being shaky, but I think it gives a good idea of what's in. I fly along the Rhine from Dusseldorf to Frankfrut. You can probably skip around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QKYe16rK4&t=36s

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

After two years away from civilian flight simming, I’m feeling the urge to nip back in. I’ve been running FSX steam edition for which I have the most addona and Dovetail’s flight sim (RIP) before weening off. I don’t really want to go back to FSX, so I’m left with either Prepar3d or XPlane. I do E-jest mostly - which sim do you guys recon has the best perspectives to go in and start buying stuff for?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Never had a wife, but I do own a HOTAS and TrackIR (and a wheel and a racing seat etc etc). I don’t think that’s a coincidence tbh.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This sounds like flight simming, all right, and I don’t miss it. I wonder what facilities FS2020 will have for mods and add-ons.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

I really hope that FS2020 will get the modding crowd enthused. X-Plane has had a lot more active freeware add-on scene than FS/P3D, but the new one might pull in younger gaming crowd to offset the normal boomer crowd that make flightsim addons.

This reminds me of this Swedish FS add-on group that closed down a few years ago, because all their members were over 70 and to old to continue.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Game sure seems to simulate multiple CFITs all right.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I wonder if this will work with GeForce now. I have an ok rig, but would prefer the comfort of just firing the thing up and let a cloud pc take over for the cost of no 4k.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What’s the ATC simulation like? Considering real world traffic follows SIDs and STARS, how does ATC handle mixing you in with that flow?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

SID and STAR ATC support was available only via horrible hacky and expensive addons written by psychopaths, and never really worked. It’s super nice to see the devs just throwing it in right out of the box, with a built in copilot to boot. I hope the AI will follow SIDs and STARs too, but I’m already super happy with what I’m seeing.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Hey Alpha peeps, does the AI traffic fly SIDs and STARS? I know they’re supported out of the box in the FMCs, but I cannot find info on how the AI and ATC handles it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

No tears will be shed over the demise of the “independent” FS add-on makers.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That Houses of Parliament model is super bad for a promo, not least from Orbx.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ethanol posted:

is the embargo up? I'm seeing streams on twitch

It’s up for select streamers.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Steam has a built in fps counter too

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Why would they leave the runway hilly like this? Seems like it would have been trivial to put some fill in?

This is a very steep hillside, which this photo doesn’t show that well. It wouldn’t be feasible to level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courchevel_Altiport

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

http://www.openflightmaps.org is a good source for VFR maps in Europe

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s crazy how just before the announcement of FS2020 this was a dying hobby, and the last hurrah we had in the genre was Dovetail’s loving dismal attempt, and here we are, a year or two later, at the start of a new flight sim era. Bonkers!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Did I see right that there’s an AP bug? Mine in the C172 just slammed me right into the ground, ignoring HDG and spiraling into the sweet embrace of death.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Relogged and the downloader is now fetching my Premium stuff.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Spent the last hour climbing out of Calabria in a tiny Cessna to reach 10000 ft to overfly Etna. This poo poo is making me emotional. It’s glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also, this new air model is fantastic. Flying over mountain is just awesome with the buffeting and gusting. Even crossing from the sea onto land results in air movement.