Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Look what you bastards have done. :mad:

My first flight sim experience was with a Windows 95 version of Top Gun in Turkey Shoot mode on my cousin's computer using some whack no name joystick and messing around with Microsoft Flight Simulator (mid nineties version, damned if I know which one) on my dad's PC using a keyboard and mouse. I spent an awful lot of time assaulting the New York scenery in Cessnas and Jumbo jets long before Mr Bin Laden's lackeys ever did :v:. Later, (somewhere in the early to mid 2000s) once I got my own computer I got my hands on IL2-1946 with a Logitech attack joystick. I liked it, though I never played it with realistic sim difficulty or in multiplayer. I really enjoyed messing with that ridculous VTOL German prototype in custom missions. Fast forward to 2014 where I got involved in the Elite: Dangerous Beta and decided that I absolutely had to have TrackIR and an X52 for the full experience. I enjoyed space trucking for a bit, but I realised that I preferred EVE online for all my space assholing needs. Somewhere in all this I played like, one round of War Thunder on my PS4 and then ignored it because I didn't like how it handled. Also I got murdered a lot and couldn't understand why.

So my X52 and TrackIR system languished for a couple of months until recently when I reinstalled IL2-1946 to see what it was like with head tracking. I liked it, though I've still never successfully landed on a runway in less than a dozen pieces. I have had no shame in using the autopilot to control my landings up until now. After messing around with fighters almost exclusively, I decided to find out what bombing was all about. I couldn't be bothered with the big bombers like the He series (How the poo poo does this bomb sight work? What do you mean I have to work out the difference between air speed and actual speed at a given altitude? The gently caress do I want to be consulting a table for? What do you mean I have to manage engine torque? Trim? Isn't that a slang term for a vagina?) but I really liked the sound the Stukas made so I decided to give that a go.

I discovered that dive bombing was fun as hell and just challenging enough to be interesting without being frustrating. After a while I started to look around for a more contemporary Il2-like experience because while I really don't give a crap about graphics if the game is fun, I'd still like something a bit more up to date. Plus getting IL2 to run from my DVD copy was a pain in the dick and I didn't want to compound that by trying to run mods for it. I swiftly skipped over Cliffs of Dover and about a week ago checked out IL2:BOS. I didn't actually download or buy it, I went with Rise of Flight first to see if my PC could handle it. Unfortunately for my marriage, it could.

So I spent some time buzzing around in those ridiculous old crates, shot down a jerk on my second mission, watching episodes of the Royal Flying Lawn Darts in the ROF thread here, and then achieved supreme flight sim nerd rank by successfully landing my biplane and coming to a complete halt, perfectly within the landing field. I was incredibly smug about it because not only had I landed where I was supposed to, I'd been lead to believe landing in ROF is somewhat of an artform given how bumpy the landing fields are and how unwieldy the planes can be. After that I did get IL-2:BOS and after some finessing of the visual settings I set about my Stuka ways and successfully bombed a bridge on my second go. I even landed... upside down and with no wings but it was only 200m past the runway so as far as I'm concerned that still counts. I managed my own flaps, landing gear and trim all by myself :colbert:

All the while I've been doing that I've also been working my way through this thread, and now I want some proper pedals (:cripes:) and I want to eventually be able to fly the Russian jet with the booze fueled radar.

tl;dr I've become a card carrying lunatic and its all your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

God :drat: DCS World is hard. I started by getting in the P51 on a basic straight flight mission and started clicking around the cockpit. I couldn't figure out how to turn the thing on but I did manage to blow the canopy. :downs:

After that I went and did the SU-25T tutorials. Switching on, taxing down the runway and taking off was super fun and really easy and I felt like a total badass. I could absolutely feel the urge to go fly over some terrible capitalist country and start liberating the people via heavy ordinance. Then I tried to land. That was... frustrating. I found that if you didn't hit one of the way points exactly right, the text wouldn't move on and give you further instructions so you could continue. I must have spent half an hour just buzzing around trying to figure out where the gently caress waypoint 2 was, only to discover that it is (sort of) bugged. I got around it by using the route autopilot but it felt like cheating. After I got past that particular hurdle I managed to get in line to land on the runway, and then totally overshot and exploded into a million pieces after wrecking my chute. Second time around I fell way short, stalled, crashed and exploded into a million pieces. I think it was the 5th or 6th time around that I managed to get the thing on the ground with an admittedly rough landing, pop the chute and come to a complete stop and pass the tutorial. I tried to taxi around the place and encountered a weird error where the plane looped around to the left despite rudder input I was giving. I couldn't figure it out until I went to the outside view and realised both my rear tires were busted and the landing gears bent. It somewhat explained why my plane was crabbing around like a polio victim.

After this "success" I decided to go for the hard landing tutorial. Mostly because I was absolutely sick of listening to that same series of tutorial messages over and over again though no doubt I absolutely need more landing practice. The tutorial text is particularly long for the first landing tutorial because it explains an awful lot of the instruments, and as best as I can tell, you can't skip past them. Thus I went ahead and did the hard landing tutorial. For those with fuzzy memories, that one has you descend into a thunderstorm at night and try to land on a tiny airfield with no ILS(?) system available so you have to do it using HSI only. Did I mention there's a massive crosswind? Because there is. The closest I got in maybe a dozen tries was crabbing on to the runway, breaking the wheel brake, popping the chute and then running off the end of the runway where the thing caught fire. I did eject and live though so op success. After that I put it down for a little while.

Having said all that, I have enjoyed it so far. Oddly, I couldn't find any tutorials for flying the P51 unless I missed something somewhere. I'm eyeing up Flaming Cliffs 3 now and I've got a question. Does that have further tutorials I can tinker around with in the new planes? Or am I better served just persisting with the tutorials in DCS world basic, getting used to the thing and then waiting until FC3 goes on sale and expanding into other aircraft from there?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks for that. I've been checking some out on youtube and for the first time ever I've actually had trim explained in a way that shows me why its useful and what it can do. It also means I can hold off of FC3 until I actually want to try out those planes.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I'm sticking with the Su-25T for now and I'll get to the T51 later. on the subject of tutorials, this guy here has done a series of very comprehensive tutorials for the Su-25T starting from take off through to use of all the weapons systems. It is broken up into 10 parts but it runs into SEVERAL HOURS long. Like, 3 or 4 I think. :staredog:

Really useful though.

Edit: I have managed to do a couple of genuinely successful landings including a dusk landing using only the HSI so I'm feeling pretty good so far. I went into free flight mode with the Su-25T, managed to navigate back to a specific airfield get in orbit, and then land smoothly using mostly HSI for landing. I actually think I prefer it over the HUD (ILS?) system. Weird thing was that once I was on the ground and completely switch off, canopy open I couldn't refuel. I accessed all the correct menus to get the ground crew to come and do some work, but nothing. Am I missing something?

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 17, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

No you don't need wheel chocks down, that I'm certain of.

The airport in question was the same one I'd done a specific mission to land at and refuel and rearm previously in a different mode. So unless they've moved the units around between missions, then IDK. I'm not sure how to check that anyway. As for being powered down, I left the electrics on. If they couldn't service it, then they should have responded as such. It was weird.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mmm. Maybe that one was classed as neutral. Don't know why they'd have let me land then. What's the point.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I figured out what was wrong with the free flight mission. There's only one airport which is actually classed as friendly. I landed there and I was able to rearm and refuel. I'm starting to get reasonably comfortable with the Su-25T so I went and tried the TF-51. Eventually I go the thing started and it only took me three attempts to get the thing in the air without flipping. Landing? Went about as well as you'd expect. :downs:

Apparently I'm better at jets than I am at old timey planes.

edit:. I just bought FC3 on steam. :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew::homebrew: :cripes:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 19, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

In some ways I guess its almost the opposite of landing an Su-25T? Land as flat and level as possible and then let the thing drag to a halt and let the rear tire land gently?

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 19, 2015

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Finally got around to beating the guided missile tutorial mission in DCS World for the Su-25T. Way more challenging than I thought I'd be. I have no doubt I'd get absolutely wrecked by anything that could shoot back.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Upwind, a sail is just an airfoil standing on it's end. Or wing root, really. The America's Cup catamarans have actual honest to god rigid wings and are capable of doing 2.5x the speed of the wind... upwind 1.8x the speed of the wind upwind, 3.4x the speed of the wind downwind

This is witchcraft as far as I'm concerned.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Has anyone had any experience with the DCS world mission editor?

I've been thinking about fiddling with it to try and make some fantasy, soviet mercenary in African conflicts type missions if it isn't a colossal hassle. How much hair am I going to lose trying to do that?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wh1plash posted:

Motors off, canopy open, power off.

That's from a while back. The problem was that I wasn't landing at a friendly airfield.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Also its mostly brown and flat once you leave the coast. The centre is more red though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'd be curious to see if they mapped Uluru as a 3D object (try landing on that!) Or what they put where Pine Gap is. Also Far North Queensland and the Northern Territory should have some neat jungles to fly over.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

We need a SimCopter remake

Was that the one where one of the developers went rogue and swapped the official ending out with the images of the dudes kissing?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

LordPants posted:

edit: AFAIK the FSX team is making a Suba Diving Sim or something? :psyduck:

Was it this one?

http://www.depthgame.com/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

SybilVimes posted:

no, it appears to be infinite scuba

https://www.infinitescuba.com/

e: tbh I'm not sure the market can really support the 5-6 different scuba simulators there are, it seems like some serious dogpiling on a niche interest that can probably only support 1-2 sims

Yeah I remembered depth from a Steam ad but when I went to find a suitable picture I couldn't recall the name. So imagine my surprise when I went and googled scuba sim and got half a dozen different games.

Kind of sad when there's maybe 3 decent civ flight Sims, two of which are stupid old and only being held up by third parties and the other has an actual "no fun allowed" clause and the combat Sims are DCS world which has no actual content aside from the planes and Falcon which is also a patchwork monster. :smith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Faffel posted:

If you can swing it, get the Warthog. If you enjoy flying and get a cheaper HOTAS, you will begin lusting for the Warthog sooner or later.

This is true.

I have a perfectly serviceable x52. I don't lust after a warthog though. When I upgrade, I'm going with the CH stick/throttle/pedals. I expect my wife will be filing for divorce the same day.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

911_pilot_training_room.jpg

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cap 2 sounds promising if they can make a decent campaign mode.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

What is the autism-level?

I'm just guessing but somewhere between stamp collector and model rail enthusiast would be my guess.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This is the same problem with touch screen devices too. Unless you're looking at the actual button (or near as makes no difference) its very hard to find a specific point in 3d space without a tactile response to guide you. I just can't see how complex clickable VR cockpits will work without it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Rise of Flight fans; there's a pretty comprehensive sale going on right now:

http://riseofflight.com/store/

Something like 66% off most things. Enjoy!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Maybe a good thing? Hopefully they introduce some better quality control.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Snaxx posted:

They also arnt teetering on the edge of bankruptcy like Mad Catz.

They got what they deserved.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've been looking up various single engine prop planes and making crazy noises like "huh that isn't THAT expensive" and similar absurd noises when checking out pilot license prices. Luckily I snap back to reality in time but a byproduct is that I have developed a bit of a crush on the civvy planes Cessna Caravan and the DHC Otter twin. I then made the mistake of checking what default aircraft FSX has and found the Caravan and now I'm pretty sure I'm hosed. I compounded my error of watching FSMania on youtube and now I think I'm going to have to spend a bit of time once I have a bit of available money to live out my bushpilot fantasies.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dem prices. :stare:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't have $25+ thousand dollars so it's not an issue.

Edit:

I know FSX is a bit old and fragile and requires mods to really be decent nowadays, but is it possible/practical to get the steam version and then mod that or would I be better off getting it elsewhere?

For reference, I'm mostly only interested in the Cessna Grand Caravan for the time being, and would probably want to just fly that (maybe pretty it up a bit), get some decent weather effects and maybe download some interesting areas to fly it, and possibly do some kind of mod that sims missions for it for like a bush pilot company thing. Later I might do something similar with a Twin Otter.

Edit2:

Lol who buys all that.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 23, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What is the practical difference between Prepar3D and FSX for the layman, and is there any reason not to go for Prepar3d other than the literal "no fun allowed rule."

Again, keeping in mind I'd be starting with a Caravan (which I believe Prepar3d doesn't have by default, but I'd be getting a Carenado cargo version anyway), then probably a twin Otter later. As I understand it, Air Hauler isn't 100% compatible at this time (correct me if I'm wrong).

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 25, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Daimo posted:

Air Hauler 2 is fully compatible with both.

Cool.

I know more or less what I want in terms of planes. I've also read the very fine print and so far it looks like the planes I want are compatible with Prepare3D. I really like the Carenado Caravan Cargomaster addon of all things :psyduck:. Things I'm not sure about yet are scenery/weather/obscure airports. The idea I had in my head was to take a Caravan or Twin Otter, learn it, and then do a flight hop around the world checking out various landmarks and landing at random, obscure airports. Air hauler was just to give me a "reason" to fly everywhere other than just to see stuff. I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Anyone here done something that ambitious/nuts in here with Prepare3D who might have some tips?

Edit:

:stare: well if I learned anything, its that I should probably stick with default airports/freeware textures wherever possible. Jesus H Christ someone wants forty of my actual earth dollars for Alice Springs airport? A random flyspeck of an airport in the middle of nowhere?

In the words of my countrymen: GEEET FUUUUCKED oval office. :australia:

Edit: even sneakier, You need FTX Global Base ($99), Central Australia scenery pack ($55), then and only then can you have the privilege of paying another $40 for said flyspeck airport. :laffo: Heroin would be cheaper.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 25, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvjWS0SBgoM

:cripes:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 25, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Skoll posted:

Are you really trying to tell someone to base a purchase off of what some shitlord does with his money in his private time?

:fuckoff:

OK ignore the Trump thing for a minute;

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Then go for an Oculus. Yes, they have scummy business practices, yes they force devs into timed exclusivity, but it is drat cheaper if you're not going for controllers other than what you've already got. One thing to keep in mind is that you need three USB 3.0 slots for the Oculus, but only one of any USB for the Vive. A USB hub may or may not cut it for the Oculus, but honestly if you're going solely for sims and cockpit style games then Oculus is slightly better quality.

post edited to remove anti Trump stuff. Those are all valid criticisms and people have been advised to avoid trackIR for reasons surrounding their business practices and anti-competition behaviour. It matters to some people.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I got the Caravan going from a cold start. Which was even trickier since Prepar3D starts it hot to begin with, so I had to figure out how to send it full cold and go from there. My airfield was shrouded in fog so I could get it off the ground but couldn't navigate back to it. On the other hand I successfully did a barrel roll and even an aerial restart after the engines starved during the roll. Then I landed it in a field and successfully took off again. Man this thing is easy to fly. It just wants to fall onto the ground at the right speed/angle. Doing it onto an actual runway I'm sure will be harder, but yeah :feelsgood:

I suspect the hardest thing will actually be learning to navigate and using the systems to actually get where I want to be.

Edit:

Also I've encountered a weird problem where I can't move the ignition switch in the caravan off. Its permanently stuck on. Anyone had the same problem know how to fix it?

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 26, 2016

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

How many in here use ezdok with P3D? Is it easy to setup/use?

I have TrackIR but it really isn't useful when I need to focus on a specific instrument or panel and the default in cockpit views are at best mediocre.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

I use EZDok with P3D and could not live without it. It's also my answer to the top non-aircraft addon question above.

It's easy to setup and use, but with P3D you need to first buy and install the normal version and then head to the beta forums here and download the latest beta.

Much obliged.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Actually its because turbo sim spergs cant stand the idea of generic (even if its pretty) scenery and demand perfect 1 for 1 textures with matching meshes that accurately simulate continental drift, soil erosion, land clearance both man made and natural in real time, and the pool of developers prepared to attempt that sort of thing is small.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Today, I am the smuggest motherfucker in creation. Why?

Well because I managed to figure out how to work the radio, GPS and map and autopilot for the Grand Caravan and put it all together to fly from Launceston Airport in Tasmania to Mt Gambier including an IFR approach (not that I had to since the weather was clear) with a low level fly over of King Island and a landing approach that included a fly over of the Blue Lake with a perfect landing. :smuggo: :smuggo: :smuggo:

Today is the first time I've "put it all together" and turned it into an actual flight from two unfamiliar airports, a trifling 375nm though it may be. That means I'm about ready to start doing some "serious" simming and begin my caravan world tour. Tomorrow is going to be a good day.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

837nmi and 3 landings on 3 different airports in the Grand Caravan today. I went over islands, I dodged storms, I went through storms sometimes because I'm using active sky and my state is eating poo poo in the biggest nasty weather front for 50 years. I took off and landed in standing water and didn't bust the nose wheel. :feelsgood:

One day I might even land without having to Tokyo drift it onto the runway at a 45 degree angle.

Going to have to check out that juicy red centre visible in the last one on my next flight. Pass by the Flinders Ranges up to Leigh Creek, before turning NW towards Uluru by way of Lake *snort* Eyre. Its going to be boss. :frogc00l:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

u fink u hard Percy posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat having fun in Lockheed Martin's Prepar3d.

Not so. I am studying geography from 5000ft while learning how to deal with strong, independent cross winds who don't need no man. :nyd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Would you mind elaborating on that a bit? I had decided to eventually replace my x52 with a CH HOTAS and pedals on the basis of its indestructibility and sensible support software. So I'd dearly like to know what problems you've been having with it to help me with my decision.