Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

sellouts posted:

Aside from Kilo and myself does anyone here still fly on vatsim regularly?

I think :yotj: killed a lot of people's time, but I'm sure it'll come back. Once I move next month I should be back on it more regularly.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Geoff posted:

Thanks for the heads up guys, my joystick doesn't even twist for rudder so it looks like the chopper sims aren't an option at the moment.

There's an option in the settings for "Auto Rudder". I haven't used it because I have pedals, but I bet it would do what you need until you get something twisty.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

PMDG 777 Cockpit Preview!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/412156-24jun13-pmdg-777-virtual-cockpit-preview/

Looks amazing, as usual.

I wouldn't read any of the posts after the first, because the very last line from Rob is "Oh... yeah.... when will it be finished? It practically is."

E: Oh man, I just noticed the checklist in the second pic. #flightsim :spergin: mode activate!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 25, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Diet Crack posted:

Good god I hope the 777 is released this weekend.

I think they gave more notice than that for the NGX.

Also I'm moving in a couple of weeks and have no time, so I'm selfishly hoping it's later in July. :p

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Speaking of DCS Huey, is there a way to reverse the throttle axis in the game? I'm trying to use my X52 throttle as the collective, but it's "backwards".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jiblet posted:

Yes, go to the axis settings for that device (in the in-game options menu) and invert the axis.

But that would do it for everything, right, not just the Huey?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's module specific just as long as the Huey tab is selected for controls.

Cool, now maybe I can suck just slightly less!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Gonna sim some beach volleyball with some other naked sweaty dudes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sappo569 posted:

Anyone have some insight into Cockpit Sharing for FSX, on VATSIM?

I read a number of threads from various places, but the problem is the information all seems to be from 2007 or earlier.

Me and my flying buddy tried it, but had problems with gauges not syncing, and then for some reason the plane decided to just hover in the water after takeoff.

Just about everyone in the irc channel has done it, although it's been a while.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I really like my Saitek Radio and AP panels, but Ferretking hates them because you do need to use third party drivers to get them to work right for most add-on aircraft, then set them up in FSUIPC. I don't mind it, though.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mr. Mallory posted:

So I've been thinking about getting in to FSX, are the planes in there as realistic/detailed as something like DCS A10?

The PMDG 737NGX definitely is, as will the forthcoming 777 (and 747v2).

There are some other very good add-on aircraft as well that I cna't think of off the top of my head.

The default planes are terrible.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Get a bath mat, put it on the floor, put your pedals on the mat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I didn't mention that because I thought it was a given. I guess everyone's a noob sometimes!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Great job on leaving just enough room for your beer! A true semi-professional simmer.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Goetta posted:

My second time playing on VATSIM tonight and I managed to cream my Beechwood Baron into the side of a mountain because apparently you shouldn't fly through the Rockies at FL010? :(

Hopefully they aren't sending out a virtual air and rescue to come find me.

Someone did that once back when we'd fly 2-3 times a week. A goon went down, so another launched a CAP Cessna and started the search pattern. On VATSIM.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well there is a Ferrari Enzo for FS2004....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Daimo posted:

First impression of FTX Global.

Looks like FTX England all over again.

I always take my reviews from people with terrible English skills.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah lately I've not been doing a lot of VFR, so I'm not sure I can justify $100.

But maybe eventually.

My other concern is that I already have other terrain stuff installed, and I'm betting this will work better without all of that (aside from specific airports). I probably need to do a fresh install of FSX for this, and ugh... who has that kind of time?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Good call on going TrackIR first.

I would probably get either the throttle or pedals before another stick, since you already have a stick that's pretty decent. Personally I hate twist-sticks, so I'd probably go rudder pedals, but the throttle on the 3D Pro is kind of weak.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Figures. I go away from the Internet for a weekend, and PMDG announces that the 777 is now in wide beta.

It's getting close!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Carenado is apparently working on an Embraer Phenom 100, so maybe we'll get a half-way decent bizjet now?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Plus Swimnurd hates their clickpoints.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The wing flex is spectacular.

Also they plan on rolling a lot of this in to the NGX with the next service pack.

And for folks who don't want to do long hauls, they have a system that allows you to jump ahead, but doesn't screw up the complex systems. I don't think I would use it (and you can't on VATSIM), but it exists.

E: This video shows most of the cool features, like the mouse working directly in the PFD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjFSUkeHzBU

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 8, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Diet Crack posted:

I hope PMDG release the T7 soon just so I don't have to read the loving AVSIM forums again for another year.
Seriously, I thought the irc channel was spergy as gently caress....

I just click on Tabs' or Robert's user names in the main forum and search for their posts. I don't really read anything else in there.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 15, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sellouts posted:

Just follow pmdg on Facebook. They said there wouldn't be a stealth launch so they will likely advertise it through there.

For the release date that's fine, but I like seeing some of the update posts, too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Aero737 posted:

Newbie night on Vatsim was good fun. I haven't played in almost a whole year and it was good to get some pattern work done again.

I had to remember all the radio verbiage, because even though I still fly every few weeks, it's almost always without ATC.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mederlock posted:

I'm a little :smith: that I missed this, being a newbie myself. Oh well, next time perhaps.

If you hang out in the IRC channel you could probably find someone to help. We have several real life pilots (and CFIs!) in there, two of whom helped me at the very beginning.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Anyone have experience with SimBrief? It looks pretty comprehensive.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sellouts posted:

Hmm, this is kind of cool.

I still am curious as to what PFPX will offer -- however it's due out any day now so with the lack of information about it it's probably going to be late.

Best I can see, PFPX will actually generate the route for you, rather than having to look one up. But then, being the spergs we are, we're all going to check the route and make sure it's a valid real world route anyway....

I dunno, so far, SimBrief seems like it does everything I'd ever need.

E: And I think PFPX is supposed to be able to export a PMDG flight plan, but I kind of enjoy entering it in to the FMC.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sellouts posted:

For what it's worth Simbrief gave me an unrealistic altitude for a very common route and also didn't conform to appropriate noise restricted arrival on the route given the departure time. So I think for some common routes it'll pull info?

Pfpx I believe will pull charts, which I like too. But free vs 40 euros makes this easy.

SimBrief doesn't generate routes, it looks to see if someone else filed a route first and shows you that. What that means in your case is that the last person to file that route was a moron.

The Ferret King posted:

I just use real world aviation flight plan apps to do my sim stuff.

Fltplan.com and mobile app

Flightaware.com

AOPA Flight Planner

Skyvector.com (not technically for real world)

Airnav.com

For routes, that's fine, but fuel load, &c. is really what I'm more interested in.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I use FlightAware, not SimRoutes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

Fltplan.com will do fuel and Weight and Balance for a lot of different planes. They can also add your plane if you have the figures and are willing to email them.

I'd been using this http://fuelplanner.com/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think it probably bases it off direct miles, but I always add a little extra to be safe.

SimBrief.com seems like I won't need to fudge it so much now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's PMDG 777 release week!

I can't find any more information though because the avsim forums have now poo poo the bed.

E:

quote:

rsrandazzo member of PMDG wrote this today:

Captains-

Welcome to release week for the PMDG 777-200LR/F!

We are in the process of tamping down some final details and cleaning up documentation and license text, all with an eye toward delivering the finest 777 simulation you have ever flown.

I want to give you a quick primer on what to expect during the week ahead, and also provide some firm warnings on on what NOT to expect- just so that we can keep everyone singing from the same sheet of music, as it were.

Here are the important things you will want to know:

1) We are currently working a dozen or so small items that will not prevent release.
2) We are currently evaluating one item that has the potential to hold up a release.
3) We are in a "day-to-day" decision making mode whereby we evaluate the fitness of the product and decide if we feel it is ready for release, or if we should continue to hold it for further review.
4) Right now, the "Circle Error Probable" (you mathematicians and fellow Cold War relics will understand that reference. cool.png )on release is about seven days wide, starting Wednesday morning.
5) Given #4 above, that tells me we are likely releasing during the coming weekend.
6) If ANYTHING pops up in testing that we think requires resolution prior to release, we will do so. Even if that means a significant delay... We evaluate such items based entirely in the risk that they negatively impact the usability of the product- so if the risk is high, we will hold... (I'll come back and let you know if this happens, however!)

If any of you ever SERIOUSLY believed that we are just being abusive when we tell you that we do not plan release dates- go back and read #4 and #5 again. We are within 9 days of finishing a highly complex aircraft simulation, and we STILL don't know which day it will get released to you... This is because we release it "on condition" rather than simply putting a tack on the calendar and saying "this is when it goes out."

Okay- so....

We WILL give you some warning... So there is no need to sit and hammer the CTRL+R on your browser. (Although we do love the enthusiasm! ahahahahahha)

During the next couple of days you may see the website go down for a few moments here and there. We are doing a bunch of testing, tweaking and tuning on the performance side. Additionally we are going to be making sales page updates, etc. In the past we have pushed all of those up to the server at release time, but this one may be a bit different- so if you suddenly see the 777 product sales page go live- don't panic...

The product will be made available to you shortly after I win the release date contest that has been going on in the 777 forum. (I love a good competition... especially when I control the outcome! ph34r.png )

I had the good fortune to spend the weekend flying the 777 around to various points on the globe and I have to tell you that this is my favorite PMDG product ever... This airplane FEELS and ACTS like a serious airliner- and it is hard to beat that sense of purpose when you push off the gate headed for points beyond. One of our beta testers likened her to a cruise ship entering or leaving port- and the analogy really is spot on.

I think my favorite feature in this airplane thus far is the "cruise time acceleration." Those of us with multiple real-world obligations that prevent 15hr long hauls can still enjoy them- because the airplane helps to smoothly and safely allow time acceleration so that I can fit a nice KSFO-EGLL segment into my sunday afternoon if I wish... (And to those who can put the entire real-time flight in: I eny you. LOL)

I have seen a few folks posit that the 777 is just a "big NGX." What a misguided thought process that is... The 777 is a completely different bird- and the skills needed to master this airplane are completely different than those you used to succeed with the kid brother of this massive airplane.

Some folks have asked about performance: I am seeing very very good performance all around on this airplane- even better than what I see with the NGX- and significantly better than what I saw with the 400X.

Overall I think the team is really happy with what we have accomplished here- and we are very excited to get you all flying!

Alright: Gear Down, Flaps 30 Final Items!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Angle of Attack has a write-up on first impressions with the PMDG 777.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Wow. I want it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Fine with me, next week is payday!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

So much for all their "we've upgraded all the servers so it won't happen this time!"

I figured this weekend I'd get it anyway, since I won't really have time to fly it during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

People on the forums (I don't know why I bothered) are saying you can still download it if you log on to your account.

Also, apparently, there's a new "Ops Center" for getting updates and liveries for PMDG products so you don't have to run them as executables and fill up your add/remove programs with liveries (this was the "big surprise" I'm guessing).