Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Colonial Air Force posted:

Speaking of DCS Huey, is there a way to reverse the throttle axis in the game? I'm trying to use my X52 throttle as the collective, but it's "backwards".

Yes, go to the axis settings for that device (in the in-game options menu) and invert the axis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
DCS works fine without Target.
There are... other sims?

Ok, ok, I don't use it for FSX (have a yoke for that) but it's fine in ARMA (haha!), Take On Helicopters, Aerofly, IL2 andd RIse of Flight
I think the only thing I've used Target for was BMS Falcon, but that was just because I wanted a profile for it cos F16s are a bit more complex than Sopwith Camels.

Edit to add that while Target is pretty dreadful, it's far and away the best joystick profiling software I've used. It's a pretty low bar...

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I believe the generally accepted answer to that question (which should probably go in the OP) is: Because Ubisoft.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Hav posted:

I'd also be interested in this answer. Are they still not linking items bought direct from DCS to Steam and vice/versa?

You can (and I have) plug all your ED keys into Steam, except for FC3 and B2 upgrade. BS2 standalone is fine. I dont think you can do the Mi-8 either but I dont have that.

My keys are working for A10C, BS2, CA, P-51 and UH-1H. I ahve no idea about the other way around though - steam keys into ED's store.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
AFAIK you need to cave in and buy the standalone - preferably in a sale.
That's what I did anyway.

cheesetriangles posted:

Did the Nevada DLC for DCS World ever come out?

Still baking I beleive.

cheesetriangles posted:

And are any of the newer DCS modules any good? I have A-10C and BS2.
The P51 and UH-1H are both excellent addons in my opinion - having never actually flown either aircraft for real.
Neither will ever hold the place in my heart that the Warthog occupies though.

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 17, 2014

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Vahakyla posted:

You can also slap your wings of prey serial into WT and get free gold currency.

Either I'm stupid or the WT site is terrible (probably both), but I can't find where to do this?

-- Turns out I was stupid. But Gaijin's site is awful.

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 11, 2014

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

The Ferret King posted:

Saitek's metal pedals looked decent too.
They are that.
For the record, I'm 6'4 with a 34 inch inside leg and both CH and Saitek pedals (pro flight combat) are absolutely fine.
With the Saitek ones, the heels of my feet are about a foot apart. CH were closer IIRC.

All that said, I have no idea why your height would be related to the preferred spacing of your pedals so YMMV.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Any good early jet fighter games? I want to dogfight in my F-100 Super Sabre or F-80 :getin:

I'm pretty sure that puts you squarely into the territory fo Strike Fighters 2.

Or Birds or War on the Archimedes...

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Sappo569 posted:

Have you Goons come up with any solutions that might be handy?

I use a homemade stand built out of UPVC pipe, much like these:
http://www.rogerdodger.net/videos/floor_unit_f321.html

My Steelcase Leap V2 chair slides neatly in and I can take the whole lot and shove it in a corner when I'm not using it.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I built it using those instructions. It was dead easy and turned out pretty good, though a little flimsy. But then I have a HOTAS Warthog sat on the top of plastic tubing held together with glue, screws and velcro so what can you really expect.

Don't get me wrong it does the job admirably, it's just that something metal would probably do it better (and be much more expensive).

Someone once recommended looking at drum kit frames, but I didn't ever get around to that.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Sappo569 posted:

Ah ha, and what was your cost total, ballpark?

I also wonder if you experience any rolling, I always had trouble using my rudder pedals because my chair would roll back when pressing full left or full right

Makes for a funny thought if you velcro the whole thing to your chair, kind of like a plane trying to take off on a treadmill :banjo:

I don't honestly remember as I built it a few years back now, though I do remember it being more expensive than I'd have liked - mostly because it was quite hard to find the right sized piping in the UK. I guess in Glorious Freedom Land you might have better hardware stores...
IIRC I ended up buying it from some aquarium place on the net. I want to say it was about £80.

I don't suffer any chair roll, but then I'm sat on carpet, so it's hard to roll when I actually want to!

Edit: tell a lie, I found the receipt and it was £80 + tax and shipping :(

http://www.koicarp.net/

(PVC-102) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC Pipe - 1.5mtr lengths
£3.26 X 7 = £22.82
(PVC-142) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 45 degree elbow £1.43 X 4 = £5.72
(PVC-162) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 90 degree elbow
£1.20 X 24 = £28.80
(PVC-182) PVC Pipework - 1-inch PVC 'T' section £1.28 X 20 = £25.60
(PVC-262) PVC 1' Plain End Cap £1.04 X 2 = £2.08
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Total £85.02
VAT Country Tax £14.87
Shipping (Shipping UK Mainland) £10.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Total £109.89

+6 quid on ebay for a PVC pipe cutter.

As you can see, it's the connectors that sting you.

Here's the plan:

And here's my version since I wanted the stick on the right side, but still have option to put a smaller stick in the middle for heli sims (which I have quite literally never used).

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 19, 2014

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I own P3D evidently :confused:

oh well, what should I do? Any good plane depots?

Get the A2A Cessna 172 and the Twin Otter. Or don't if you don't like small planes I guess.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
That MS Flight post was excellently written and actually made me want to play it again... but I cant find it anywhere - did it get completely canned along with GFWL?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I bought a 10cm extension 18 months ago of some ED forums guy in Poland for a little over £70. It really is excellent, and was worth every penny,... until I saw this one for £40 :/

Still, at the time it was the only metal one available, so it was that or a PVC pipe DIY job that I'd no doubt cock up.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I realised I would never play games from <1999 at least and threw them all away.
Get over it and just do it. It's terribly liberating.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I'm yet to be convinced about VR. Not that i've tried out any of the contenders so you might want a bucket of salt to go with this opinion...

For sims where I have pretty much full HOTAS control (So, DCS A10C and some other simpler sims) it should be fine. But if at any moment I have to find a key on the keyboard in a hurry while essentially blindfolded... I think it'll :arghfist:RUIN MY IMMERSION:arghfist:

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

And monitors are pretty cheap, relatively speaking.

I respectfully disagree...
But lordy do I want one.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Megadyptes posted:

I gave up with the trackclip pro that's been held together with blu-tac for the past couple of months and am now using the hat reflector thing I took one look at years ago and left in the box. it works pretty drat good but the fact that I'm wearing a drat hat indoors is annoying.

I can't recommend http://www.delanengineering.com/ enough.
I have the one with a battery pack so I can velcro to my wireless headphones to ditch the tether

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

BigglesSWE posted:

You know, WOFF can be rather pretty at times.

http://imgur.com/3LLLh1r

Tell me, is it worth the price of entry?
I didn't even realise it was a thing until I saw your screenshot and thought "What is WOFF when this is clearly ROF? Did I miss an expansion?".

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Maybe that Aerofly SF2 thing? No idea if it's any good.

It's exceedingly pretty. And very good in VR if that's your thing. My kids love it.
Whereas I love having access to a "instantly lift me up 500ft" button.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

El Grillo posted:

Bit of a puerile question but anyone have an opinion on the best-looking VR-enabled flight sim? I've enjoyed humming around in DTS, the visuals aren't terrible though the optimisation seems to be, just wondering whether there's anything better out there. Love the feeling of going for a flight in the mornings!

Aerofly 2 is the prettiest flight sim I've tried in VR. Probably not the best flight sim, but its good for showing the hardware off to friends/relations.
Elite is also extremely good in VR, though I wouldn't say its a flight sim, even though it flies more like WW1 planes than internet spaceships...

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

ZekeNY posted:

Ok, I finally got to mess around with the X-plane 11 demo a bit last night, and with the default settings I was getting low 40's-high 30's frame rates with a 980 and a non-overclocked i5. They've still got a lot of work to do to get out of beta, but it doesn't seem to be the disaster that a lot of people are talking about, at least for me.

Similar here. I have an i5 2500K (6 years old I think) OC'd to 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, and a 980, and with that I get around 30FPS with default settings in the day time with scattered clouds.
And then it CTDs on final. Woo.

Edit to add that this is on 3440x1440, so I'm pretty satisfied with it as beta performance.

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 28, 2016

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

EvilJoven posted:

If I can sell all my gear for enough cash to buy a Kickr bike trainer though I'm doing it because then I can play Bike Simulator.

You don't need a Kickr, any turbo will do for Bike simulator. The Kickr is just your TM Warthog level of bike sumulation.
I use a Tacx Vortex mysef, fraction of the price of the Kickr.
/threadleak.

I've had no problem with Win 10 (over a year now) for any of:
P3D
Xplane 11
DCS
IL2 (any of them)
RoF
BMS

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I too own a Warthog (3 of them over the years due to Thurstmaster's cheap-skating on various bits.), if that helps you place me on the spend thrift scale ;)
But yeah there are a few smart trainers (ones that will respond to simulated slopes) on the market now, so well worth researching whether which is best for you.

Speaking of... Time to go hit bike simulator before some flight simulator later.
One is more fun than the other.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

TheAsterite posted:

I was the idiot that got both the Thrustmaster and the VKB Black Mamba base. :negative:

The only reason I've not done that is because you don't seem to be able to get the Black Mamba any more (or at the moment at least).
Is it really that bad?

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Kilonum posted:

My personal experience with VR

:barf:

Lay off the rudder. I find that yaw is what makes me want to... yawn.
Pitch and roll are fine, do what you like in those axes, but more than a tiny amount of yaw and I'm ready to hurl.
Which makes turning in any first person experience an absolute joy.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

JayKay posted:

For those who get sick with VR, do you normally get motion sickness? i.e. on roller coasters, flying, can't read in moving vehicles, etc.

Yep. Fine if I drive, though I've managed to make myself feel queasy before, but even as a front seat passenger I get nauseous.
I get awful seasickness if I go near a boat, especially a small one, even in flat seas.
As for air travel, as a passenger at least (I only play a pilot on the internet) I'm usually fine. Haven't been in a properly small aircraft in a long time though.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
FWIW I have the Saitek yoke, got it in June 2008 according to Amazon and it's still going fine. All buttons work, back light works, no pot spiking or anything like that, it's honestly good as new. I can't speak to their recent quality though.

I don't use a yoke all that much - I'd estimate it sees maybe 20-30 hours of use a year. Most of the time If I'm simming, I'm doing it on the Warthog.

Now, with all that said, if it were me I'd probably go with the CH Products one, which I've never even seen let alone used. CH get excellent reviews of longevity and customer service. Saitek not so much, but hey maybe Logitech will fix that. They did so well with that stick of theirs :/

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

chaosapiant posted:

Just something immersive I can sink my teeth in and see if I like it. Any recommendations?

Aerofly 2.
Its not the spergiest of sims but its definitely the best I've played in VR - though i'll admit I've not yet tried IL2-BoS in VR.

Also don't confuse IL2 with IL2-BoS or IL2-BoM.

And no, Rise of flight is not VR... yet.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Aerofly 2, FSX and I think X-Plane are VR compatible, but I'm not sure if they're all natively compatible. You may need FlyInside for them.

Aerofly has had native VR since launch.
Prepar3d now has native VR
Xplane 11 will have it with the next release, "coming soon"(tm).

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

DCS is dogshit in VR due to poor performance.

Really? I get decent enough performance in both 2 and 1.5 now for VR. The real downside is the resolution you need to be able to read the instruments. VR doesn't quite have the resolution to make them easily readable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

It does!? That may change my mind from getting X-Plane then. So many FSX places I have that could work on P3D.

Yep, I don't use it (the fraaaaames) but it just loves to fire up Oculus Home when I start P3D.
Also: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv3/LearningCenter/getting_started/virtual_reality/virtual_reality_overview.html