Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Meiwaku posted:

Any thoughts on the Oculus Rift replacing TrackIR for sims?

There are some issues with that. Firstly, the low resolution on the current devkit makes distant objects less than clear, and it would make it nearly impossible to read the instruments in a virtual cockpit. That will be better with the consumer version, but it still may not be ideal. You could design around some of it with a clever UI.

The other problem is that of finding your way around the controls. Flying a Piper Cub with a stick and pedals, etc. would be fine, but for more complex stuff, I find myself reaching for the keyboard and mouse and having to actually look at what my hands are doing pretty frequently. Again, you could design a sort of specialized "virtual" interface for lesser used functions. (Some people are doing stuff like a floating radial menu that you operate with your face, for instance.)

In fewer words, I think you could design or modify a sim for fairly painless Rift integration, but it'll present some significant hurdles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's currently a 1280x800 display in there, which means 640x800 for each eye. This is exacerbated by a few factors, too:

1) Your face is all up ons

2) the optics of the Rift stretch what little resolution is there all crazy over your periphery in a non-linear fashion

and 3) the image doesn't even fill up the display... the edges aren't used (this is due to a last minute change in the current kit and won't be as much of an issue later).

So yeah, pixels the size of small dogs of varying apparent size.

edit: I'm really tired right now, so this didn't come out as clearly as it should have, but I think you get what I'm saying.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 31, 2013

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm looking for recommendations.

Due to my current living situation, all of my PC gaming is relegated to a laptop. My HOTAS Warthog, TrackIR and rudder pedals are all collecting dust, and it'll be that way for at least a few months. In the meantime, I've been getting the itch to fly around and blow poo poo up.

What's some lighter fare that might be enjoyable with a more modest setup, like with a gamepad or a small, cheap stick (and a less than cutting edge machine)?

I've been playing Strike Commander (which is awesome, of course), but I know there's some beefier stuff I could get into. I know that the Thirdwire sims are in kind of a middle ground in terms of complexity, but I haven't really touched them much.

Right now I'm more turned on by the jet age, but I should probably just bite the bullet and play War Thunder.

If I could set up my desktop, I'd be playing DCS, but I don't think I'd enjoy it on a tiny screen without head tracking and hands-on controls. Although my laptop does have a touch screen which could be dope for the clickable cockpits.

What should I play?

edit: Hell, I'd play Ace Combat if it were on PC. (Aside from Horizon which is kinda weird. I don't hate it, but I definitely don't love it either.)

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Those are good points. I'm still hesitant with the TrackIR. I'm trying to keep things light and somewhat portable, and I want to avoid the rat's nest of wires that can quickly materialize with this stuff. One factor that I didn't mention is that I have a 1 year old son in a very small apartment, so I don't want to ensnare him in a wiry spider web.

It's extremely helpful to me that I can just slap the lid closed and shove my computer out of the way when he's playing.

edit: I should also mention that I love choppers! I should probably just play EECH.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 17, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Speaking of old poo poo, I wish GoG or Steam had European Air War.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Did anyone else play Flying Nightmares? It was a Harrier sim for Mac and 3DO and I remember it being pretty dope.

Edit: also, thanks for the heads up on that Falcon sale, just picked it up.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don't think a competitive multiplayer game is necessarily the best fit for a four year old.

That said, I don't know what's good for toolin' around. I'd look into Aerofly; presumably it allows you to turn off crashes and stuff.

What we need is a new Flight Unlimited up in this piece. (Microsoft Flight was almost the jam.)

edit: Actually, since he probably doesn't care about cutting edge graphics, look at the cheap old stuff on GoG.com. They have a bunch of those older games with more straightforward flight models, like Strike Commander.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 27, 2016

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Does Rise of Flight support that poo poo? It would be the best, since it looks awesome, and doesn't require scrutinizing little displays and controls and UI bullshit. Just you and a majestic pile of canvas and wood falling out of the sky over and over again.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That's a drat shame! Also, holy crap, time flies. RoF still feels newish to me.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
That new X-Plane footage looks great. I've long found X-Plane to run better than FSX's ancient rendering system, but it looked kinda bland. That video is so dramatic.

It would be my sim of choice to recreate Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Check this poo poo out. A business sim plugin for x-plane that just came out. https://www.thresholdx.net/news/gabclp

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

nessin posted:

I know X-Plane and FS2020 are going to be somewhat different in the details but are there any good basic tutorial videos anyone can recommend for the basics in X-Plane 11 and stuff that should be similar (like how the hell to operate and understand the flight computer)? I haven't seriously played something more detailed than world of warplanes since like 2012 and figure it'd be great to jump start myself for when FS2020 releases.

When it comes to stuff like that, a good place to look can be the documentation for the real stuff that you’re interested in simulating. Like, read the manual for a Cessna or a Garmin gps unit that’s in the plane you intend to fly.

What you learn there will be applicable to any sim.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Why not? Halo and Gears are on Steam

Halo and Gears don't have a content marketplace like FS is going to have. Even Halo MCC on Steam is all or nothing, rather than selling the individual games as DLC, like in the Windows Store.

MS won't want to give Valve a cut of virtual airplane sales.

There are ways around it, but they're not user friendly (having to leave steam to use a separate store), so I don't see them doing it.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

I said come in! posted:

Steam has built-in market place features for individual games to handle this very thing. This is a non-issue.

Yes, but then Microsoft has to give money to Valve. (And it would then mean maintaining two marketplaces.)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Yeah just like they have to give a cut to Valve for Halo and Gears sales on their store. I don't get why FS is somehow different but I guess we will see.

It's different, because they're counting on a constant flow of plane and scenery sales for FS for years to come, not just a few bonus game sales from people who won't use their store/don't have game pass.

Microsoft is already just taking a cut of each sale that's otherwise going to the content creator, which would then be further reduced by having to share with Valve.

They specifically aren't putting games on Steam that they're still trying to squeeze microtransactions out of, like Halo 5 and Forza.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Well I'm a dumb ding-a-ling. I guess when I pre-ordered it was different?

Anyway, I still think I'm right, because a third-party marketplace is totally different!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ethanol posted:

Lol this is pretty funny after that whole debate on the last couple of pages

Good grief. Just put me in the toilet.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

cool new Metroid game posted:

heh I'm just aimlessly flying around upstate New York in FS20 and booted up little navmap to see what airfields were about (I just assumed the airport database from P3D is 95% similar to the new FS one) and was surprised to see the flight tracking in little navmap is working for FS20. seems it uses the same old simconnect poo poo from FSX/P3D.

Yeah, people are already logging flights in FSEconomy from FS20. It’s nice that they didn’t break everything.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Similarly I’d love to see carendos Dornier 228 from X-plane again. Super fun little plane. I think I’m a little more partial to the twin otter based on looks but any STOL turboprop is really fun to fly. It’s a cool niche.

Oh man. That's my favorite x-plane plane right now. If I could do FSE hauls in the 228 in MSFS I'd flip my wig.

They did make one for FSX as well, and it's supposed to be easy to port over from there. I think Thranda was involved, and they split up with Carenado, so hopefully that doesn't throw a monkey wrench in the works. Also, I doubt it's a high priority plane; it's so weird and ugly and wonderful.

I also wonder about, like, quality tiers. Quick and dirty ports from prior sims could be a good way to get on the store, but you can charge more if you give it a new coat of paint to bring it up to the detail level of the new base planes. I'm curious to see how plane makers proceed.

They could kinda do both at once by having a cheap introductory price for a fast port, then raising it when it has been upgraded, or even charging for an upgrade.

Personally, I just want a bunch of dumb planes and I don't care how many pixels they have.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I had no idea about their larger scandals, but there were enough weird little edgelord comments and gendered insults and stuff to get a general sense of foreboding. They have that (not unlike old SA) glee about being un-PC.

And yeah, the head guy doesn't know how anything works.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rincey posted:

So FSE works fine with the new sim, and, although the aircraft inventory in the sim is limited (for now), this thing was MADE for FSE. Quick hops into unknown airports are a dream when everything's rendered so well without having to go hunt down scenery.

This thing is going to be real, real, popular.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. One of the best things about FSE is that it’ll get you to fly to random places you wouldn’t check out otherwise, which will work so well in a game where everything looks somewhat OK without any extra messing around. I’m so excited!

The group I’m in has been collecting planes that will work as reasonable aliases for some of the stock FS stuff. Now personally I just need someone to make a PC-6, a Do 228 and a DC-3 for FS, and I’ll have all my current hauling faves.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

cargohills posted:

Does anyone know if the Steam version of the new Microsoft Flight Sim will actually load through Steam or will it require another launcher?

I don't know for sure, but the Halo Master Chief Collection is pretty seamless. It's definitely using some Xbox stuff in the background, and it uses your Xbox account, etc., but there's no launcher per se. Patch and DLC data is all downloaded through steam, so no launching it and then having to wait for the real download.

I assume this will work the same way.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fintilgin posted:

Is there an invisible cockpit mode like fsx10? I thought I saw a post saying there isn't, but maybe I can just lock the camera just under or in front of the plane for a similar effect?

I suspect you can, but the sound could be a bit intense out there.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Oceanbound posted:

At least you know it's downloading. All I see is this garbage.

Rebooting fixed that for me, and many others.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

androo posted:

How are you all navigating to your houses, etc? I'd love to make a quick flight plan of a tour of my home state. Does the HUD show any of these points on the ground?

e: Steam noob / US citizen, so I don't have it yet, sorry if it's obvious.

Get your coordinates from google maps, paste them into the world map’s search field, and it’ll drop a pin, which you can add to your flight plan.

Then to make it really easy, turn on markers in the difficulty settings, so you can see it in the world.

I tried following roads, but everything in my city is under a ridiculous forest canopy that shouldn’t be there, so it was impossible.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Any fellow Kiribatians finding that none of the planes from the deluxe upgrade or whatever are available?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

saber45 posted:

Yeah trimming seems to be a fight to stay level all the time and dead zone is 5%. It seems fine in the windows joystick settings so it’s strange.

Make sure there isn’t some extra widget on your controller that’s mapped to a redundant axis. Like, I used to always find in DCS that the toe brakes on my pedals would default to controlling my pitch and stuff, and the default position would just send me careening all over the place.

Does your controller have like a little wheel or slider that could be giving some extra, unwanted input?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

punished milkman posted:

does anyone have a guide or something for how the hell to use my PS4 controller with flight sim 2020? I plugged it in and it was detected and worked immediately, but there is zero indication in the control settings which button is which and I have no idea how to do things like adjust my trim. that "basic controls" window you open with ctrl+c also just shows a big question mark over a joystick :shrug:

I’d recommend using something like DS4Windows that’ll make Windows think it’s an Xbox controller.