Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I got the itch to play a civilian flight sim game, tried out various demos and settled on X-Plane 10. Is there anyone here actively messing with this game or do you guys generally use FSX? Does anyone have any recommendations for addons to X-Plane, preferably free or cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks, I'll check those addons out. I read a lot of complaints about XP10 being originally a complete mess in terms of performance but everything seemed fairly smooth with the KSEA demo area on my older computer. The only thing I really noticed was a fairly long load time but it wasn't anything that terrible, especially since I don't have a SSD. The built in ATC system seems pretty neat.

I am completely new to this poo poo so my plan is to start off by doing short VFR flights and work my way up to regional jets after I make some sense of traffic patterns and whatnot.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My TV apparently has a UStream app so my entire family is watching some poor guy eat poo poo over and over in that link above

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There is an option buried in the X-Plane settings to increase the generated building density for urban areas. The default setting is extremely low for some reason and Laminar doesn't really mention it anywhere that I've noticed. Raising it a bit makes the base game look more like FSX (to me at least) during the daytime but without the pre-set landmarks as mentioned above.

I do agree that the game is pretty as hell at night.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My second time playing on VATSIM tonight and I managed to cream my Beechwood Baron into the side of a mountain because apparently you shouldn't fly through the Rockies at FL010? :(

Hopefully they aren't sending out a virtual air and rescue to come find me.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm new to all of this so what is the background to why there are multiple online networks when you would gain a lot by aggregating everyone into one?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Pssh, that wing flex is ok if you are a sissy I guess. I prefer a game that gives me the full wingflex experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AubKzvGI2g

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

holocaust bloopers posted:

So I'm wanting to get one of those little MFD-type screens to use as an ADI for X-Plane 10. What all do I need: the button overlay and the screen itself? If it's a cheaper/easier route, I'm considering buying an android tablet for use. All I really want on it is the primary flight display.

I don't have any actual experience with this but I came across it while looking at other X-Plane stuff a while back:

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.baltazar.XPlaneRemotePlus

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
X-Plane uses VATSim too, although (for now) you can only use the 32-bit client to connect.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yep. You just have to install XSquawkbox, it all works the same as the FSX version I think.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
For what it is worth I've had zero problems with XSB with maybe 10 hours logged into VATSim. I've read that a lot of plugins/new planes don't really play nice with the 32bit version and that it is a bit crashier in general. I keep plugins to a minimum and fly like two planes so maybe that is why it has been stable for me.

I read on X-Plane.org that the 64 bit client should be ready for testing in the next month or so which will fix a whole bunch of problems.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well I should've clarified not with the departure runway or arrival runway. When I do plug in a route. I'm blindly guessing what runway to use for departure and that screws up the routes so LNAV/VNAV go all bonkers. I edited my post.

You should generally be landing into the wind, so if you check the METAR before you go you can probably figure out which STAR you should be taking.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

In the US, STAR selection has more to do with what direction you are arriving from. I've heard this is different in other countries.

Oh ok, I thought he was referring to approaches like this one http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/DEN/STAR/WAHUU+ONE+(RNAV)/pdf

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
X-Plane 10 sure does cool stuff with dawn/dusk lighting

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone use any of the free DIY TrackIR knockoffs in the OP?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

What is the best ATC addon for FSX that understands SIDs and STARs?

Also is there any good software that can feed FSX a flight plan? I want to fly realistic airways but the vanilla flight planner is frustrating as poo poo.

I think Plan-G is pretty great for flight planning, although you still have to look up the relevant SID and STAR and put it in. http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htm

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

This program is really great but there are a lot of intersections missing in the plan I'm trying to set up.

Should I run another database build or does FSX just not have an updated registry of intersection points?

I use it with X-Plane so I'm not really sure. It gave me an error when I first tried to populate the database from XP10 but the second time it ran just fine and everything seems to match in game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
X-Plane is Linux

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I tested it out yesterday and it works like a charm. Almost all the nicer payware planes were built to be run in 64 bit and would tend to run into memory limits and crash if you tried it in the 32 bit version, so it is really a boon for guys who make them.

The guys who make X-Plane are also about to release a patch that automatically brings in all the user created airports that were made using their new library, so there will be several hundred places that have actual buildings instead of just airstrips and taxiways.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 13, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried the new HD mesh for X-Plane? Any giant hits to FPS or anything?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A bunch of Carenado planes are half off through next Sunday for X-Plane if you are into GA stuff. I picked up the Beechcraft Baron and it sure is pretty.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SkopeDog posted:

They'd probably have a downloader trickle down from Steam. Upon launching, it'd go from there.

From what I've read Laminar is a really small company of a few guys who work on just one product. They have sold everything through DVDs before so I'm not sure they are really setup to distribute presumably hundreds of terabytes of data on their own. If Steam can't do it I assume they would have to go through some third party.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Decided to try VATSim again with XP10 for the first time in a few months, only to have the voice bug out and my plane freeze into a block of ice and crash somewhere near Detroit. Whoops!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

You upgraded the xp10 plugin for xsquawkbox yeah?

Previous versions were such buggy pieces of poo poo and would always crash. The new one has been very stable.

Yeah I have the new version and it worked great. The problem was actually that X-Plane wouldn't let me adjust the various sound levels in flight for so I could barely hear anything over the prop noise.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Obsidius posted:

Not sure on the exact cost but $5 per month sounds about right, you start with free credits (game time) though so can get an idea of if you want Rostock with it before having to pay out and yeah runs real-time. I usually find simulators like this are pretty poor but Airlinesim surprised me and although I am not very good at it is till find it a lot of fun / addictive. Soz for delayed reply, been working my rear end off :(

I want to try this, do you have a referral link that gives you credits or anything for signing people up?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

The default 737 really sucks unfortunately. I recommend that you pick up the NGX or even the iFly 737 if you want to fly a 737.

I can't stop flying the Lancair. Something great about 10.3gph at cruise I like flying to all of the different places I would fly to if I ever got one.

What are the good GA planes for XPlane again? Anything good come out recently?

The Carenado stuff is really good. I got the updated Baron a while back and like it a lot.

This one guy has gotten good at faking glass cockpits: http://aerobask.com/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
That's fair, I'm still at the 'golly that looks pretty' level of needs when it comes to flight simulator detail.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you are starting from scratch I'd at least give a demo of XP10 a whirl. It really has gotten a lot better over the past couple of years.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A guy is streaming his company's new 732 for X-Plane on Twitch if you are into that sort of thing: http://www.twitch.tv/flyingjackal

Maybe it is just me but the whole 64 bit thing seems to have helped out the plane makers a bunch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This last page has reminded me of playing loving USNF 97 with nukes modded in. It was the coolest poo poo for a 15 year old ever

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It depends on if you want big jet planes or GA stuff. I usually like the latter and Carenado stuff is really nice and pops up on sale on x-plane.org quite a bit. There is a lot of pretty decent freeware these days as well.

Also Laminar just announced that the game will be available on Steam starting with the next patch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Existing X-Plane owners won't be able to register their game on Steam according to some guy on the XP.org forum. I guess I should find a DVD crack for this thing at some point because it is the only computer program I have that needs to use a DVD drive to work.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I liked the stock Baron so much that I sprung for the Carenado one.

Maybe I will pickup the Saab too since I seem to like the multiprop planes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I like the concept of VATSim but couldn't really hear poo poo unless I was wearing headphones cranked way up and all the engine noise basically off.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
XP 10.30 is officially out: http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-10-30-release-notes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Try File -> QuickFlight Setup -> Click 'show this window on startup' box in the bottom right.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I'll try to put together a list of essential content sometime during the weekend.

Yes, please do this. I used to play a ton of X-Plane and have gotten away from it mainly because the FPS on my older computer was complete poo poo in cities, but I've been thinking about reinstalling and trying some fixes.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I can't remember if it was in this thread or not, but I remember someone posting a link a few weeks ago to a guy who was soldering together DIY TrackIR things and selling it to people with or without a PS3 Eye. Does anyone still have this link or have any idea what I am talking about?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks, I ordered one along with this filter that should hopefully go on my PS3 camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
X-Plane actually uses modern computer graphics and whatnot and can run in 64-bit, although it isn't really optimized or instantly beautiful out of the box by any means. The scenery in the game is pretty generic but it can look very nice if you go to the effort to download often free third party texture stuff. It looks super great at night regardless. The flight model is more physics based than the one in FSX if that is important to you at all.

FSX has way more DLC content and it tends to be more detailed (like the PMDG stuff). XP has started to catch up a bit in that regard over the past year or so.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 6, 2015