Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
Been thinking about trying to play this game again. Has there been any crackdown on non JP players playing on the servers since I last tried joining?

Edit: NA players specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Nameless Fool posted:

Been thinking about trying to play this game again. Has there been any crackdown on non JP players playing on the servers since I last tried joining?

Edit: NA players specifically?
The last month of the game, and the majority of talk in this thread, has been about exactly this.

You can try connecting now, but your chances are very, very slim. Majority of foreigners need a VPN now. This is how Sega 'defeated' a DDoS that shut the game down for over a week: they effectively disconnected from non-Japanese networks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Perpetual Ascent posted:

I couldn't access the website without using a proxy, and still can't manage to get the downloader.exe off of the download page. Can someone upload the .exe to mediafire or something?
In my case, not being able to access the web page was the same as not being able to access the game itself.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Well. PSO2 has giant robots now. Why would I play any other MMO?

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

Perpetual Ascent posted:

I couldn't access the website without using a proxy, and still can't manage to get the downloader.exe off of the download page. Can someone upload the .exe to mediafire or something?

Go to arks-layer.com can grab the tweaker. You can use it to install the game and the program says it doesn't require you to use a VPN (EDIT: For updating)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

OrangeSoda posted:

Well. PSO2 has giant robots now. Why would I play any other MMO?
"Now"? They've implemented them? I heard long ago that they were going to, but not when.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Now"? They've implemented them? I heard long ago that they were going to, but not when.

They're only available in the new mine defense emergency quest, but yeah they're there and very fun to play as.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

Lenaway posted:

Go to arks-layer.com can grab the tweaker. You can use it to install the game and the program says it doesn't require you to use a VPN (EDIT: For updating)

Thanks, this seems to be exactly what I was looking for. Fingers crossed!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well what do you know, the ISP I just switched too because TWC was pissing me off so much is one of the ones that can't connect to PSO2 yet. I guess I'm back to waiting. Oh well, it's not like before when I had just gotten into it literally two days before and was so antsy about getting back on.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
sigh

I miss PSO2

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

sigh

I miss PSO2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGRpmSb1e7M

This got the game working for me. It's free and a hassle-free alternative to getting a VPN.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lenaway posted:

It says its all-in-one but the client's still in Japanese after letting it take forever to install and update, so you still need to manually add the English patch it seems. Though either way i guess it doesn't matter since it's still not possible to reach the website and create an account.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The English patch/es get replaced after a game update, yeah.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Evil Fluffy posted:

It says its all-in-one but the client's still in Japanese after letting it take forever to install and update, so you still need to manually add the English patch it seems. Though either way i guess it doesn't matter since it's still not possible to reach the website and create an account.

the tweaker can grab and install the English patches for you, but yeah you would still need to access the main website to make an account. if you were using the AWS method to connect to the game you would need to set up a browser you don't normally use to route through the aws server with proxycap/proxifier.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Is there a block on actually running the game itself? I mean, I've got psotweaker, I've gotten all the files together by using their install files, and I've got a friend who can get onto the site and make me an account. Will it still block me if I just try to launch the game from there?

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

Is there a block on actually running the game itself? I mean, I've got psotweaker, I've gotten all the files together by using their install files, and I've got a friend who can get onto the site and make me an account. Will it still block me if I just try to launch the game from there?

You'll be unable to login. It's not an IP block but something about how they announce the servers being really out of date so most ISPs don't know it exists. You can probably find the details on reddit or PSO-World, but I assume you just wanted to hear a yes or no. :v:

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

Stelas posted:

A friend and I followed this guide,it didn't take long and it's been working for us.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-livestream-22-recap/

they talked a lot about Episode 3 rebalances here and I gotta do things right now so I can't post a summery for you guys so you are on your own to read this

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

NextTime000 posted:

http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-livestream-22-recap/

they talked a lot about Episode 3 rebalances here and I gotta do things right now so I can't post a summery for you guys so you are on your own to read this

They have nerfed gunners decently, but failed to return my combos to me. Fare thee well gunner class, I'm off to play another.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

a link containing pictuers of the new skill trees.
Most notably you no longer have to go through 5 different skills just to reach one at the bottom of the tree. Also Tech and force skill trees are seperated from element mastery, and rangers get access to every single tool immediately.
edit: timg of the trees
Hunter: Fighter:Ranger: Gunner:
Force: Techer:Braver:

Tengames fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 26, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I got worried about Bouncers when I realized that fighter was probably going to be the primary subclass for them but I guess it won't be that bad if they're taking away the wrong direction penalties now.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Tengames posted:

a link containing pictuers of the new skill trees.
Most notably you no longer have to go through 5 different skills just to reach one at the bottom of the tree. Also Tech and force skill trees are seperated from element mastery, and rangers get access to every single tool immediately.
edit: timg of the trees
Hunter: Fighter:Ranger: Gunner:
Force: Techer:Braver:
:vince:
I wish one of those skill tree sites could slop together a prototype based off of these images so I can truly sperg out and see what is now possible.

Herb Stencil posted:

They have nerfed gunners decently, but failed to return my combos to me. Fare thee well gunner class, I'm off to play another.

it's ok just sub fighter for that skill :shepface:

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Devour or Fire posted:

I got worried about Bouncers when I realized that fighter was probably going to be the primary subclass for them but I guess it won't be that bad if they're taking away the wrong direction penalties now.

I mean theres still the penalty of a thing you are spending skill points on not giving you its 25/35% benefit.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Sure did take them long enough, but those are some nice skill trees. I particularly dig that Hunter gets free Just Guard and Just Counter, and Force and Techter don't have to blow a bunch of points on crappy prereqs. What with tools not being items anymore, I wonder if traps/grenades will actually be decent.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Bullet Keep sounds nice since I recently found out that after their buffs launchers somehow became good and fun to use.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Protocol 5 posted:

Sure did take them long enough, but those are some nice skill trees. I particularly dig that Hunter gets free Just Guard and Just Counter, and Force and Techter don't have to blow a bunch of points on crappy prereqs. What with tools not being items anymore, I wonder if traps/grenades will actually be decent.

Gravity bomb is going to be a launcher ranger's best friend, and the status bullets will be good for any bossses that get stunned by that status (panic for vibrace, mirage for loser)

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
So the balance pass for Gunner doesn't seem so bad?

Or maybe it's where I've only played for a couple weeks and recently got gunner up to level 28 as my main class now?

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I like the idea of the Gunner changes. Personally, the most fun I've had with Gunner is using Chain on big enemies, and this lets you do more of that. And that's cool.

Very pleased with the TE changes as well. Shame that TE (and probably BO) are still eternally forced to sub FO to be even remotely efficient at casting techs. PP Charge Revival should just be an innate skill for any class that can cast techs! :argh:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Surprise Noodle posted:

I like the idea of the Gunner changes. Personally, the most fun I've had with Gunner is using Chain on big enemies, and this lets you do more of that. And that's cool.

Very pleased with the TE changes as well. Shame that TE (and probably BO) are still eternally forced to sub FO to be even remotely efficient at casting techs. PP Charge Revival should just be an innate skill for any class that can cast techs! :argh:

My main is te/fi, and the attack boosts from fighter are good and going to get better with the update. chase advance nerf sucks but the tech buff skill they're getting will even that out. adrenline and extend boost also work together to let you get a full 2-3 minutes off a single uncharged shifta too.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Te/Bo might be an interesting combination depending on how the Bouncer passives interact with Techer skills.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
Yeah, all of these are interesting, but if you are relying on offensive techs as your main source of damage, not having PP Charge Revival is a crippling handicap.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm assuming the non-gimmick combos are going to be bo/hu for strike bouncers, bo/fi for tech boots/hybrid, and then maybe fo/bo depending on numbers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gonna roll Ra/Bo and be terrible and there's nothing you can do about it!

:c00lbert:

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'd hate to tell you what to do but I've personally tried several dumb gimmicks and always ended up regretting the wasted job tree within the week.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh I won't be wasting tree resets on it or anything.

..though, PP Save Bullet and Power Bullet are actually attainable, now..

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't play now, my new ISP still won't connect (I wish I had even the slightest clue when that was going to change), but what happens to your skill tree when it gets redesigned? Do all your points just get reassigned to you so you can re-spec?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't play now, my new ISP still won't connect (I wish I had even the slightest clue when that was going to change), but what happens to your skill tree when it gets redesigned? Do all your points just get reassigned to you so you can re-spec?

They generally hand out free skill tree resets whenever they make changes or add new skills

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
No one is sure, since they haven't actually done this before. I reckon they will just refund all your points, as that is the simplest way of handling it. They may also give out some passes, but they wouldn't really have to do that in this case.

Saagonsa posted:

They generally hand out free skill tree resets whenever they make changes or add new skills
Yeah, but in all of those cases, they simply were adding additional skills or changing the way existing skills work. This time, they are fundamentally redesigning the trees themselves, including lowering the maximum level of certain skills and making some unlocked by default without investing SP. There's really no other way they can do this besides just refunding everyone's SP.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 27, 2014

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?
Theres no way they wont just refund every tree straight up because they have completely changed the layout of the skill trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I know it's probably not the case, but I'd like Bullet keep to remember the weapon you activated weak bullet with so if you switched to another rifle you could fire normally without spending a weak bullet charge.

EDIT: The lack of new PAs on an episode update is a bit disappointing but they probably released them early as the ones we got earlier.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread