Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's also the Chrome extension on the story translation site.

e: goddamn it new page. This is in regards to the captcha on the registration site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Time posted:

Umm is the best way to do the japanese captcha to try and match things from wikipedia? Because im having a hell of a time trying to do it.

edit: while creating a sega ID

Have one browser window open with the captcha, and one open to this page. Then just match the characters, copy and paste.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh yeah, is there a way to make the PSO2 setup downloader not a slowass piece of poo poo?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mine was slow but not that slow. clocked at maybe 400kB/sec

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I restarted the downloader and now I'm getting 50kb/s. Now it'll be done in 50 hours instead of 100+!

:smithicide:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I downloaded the client at about 1 mb/s earlier tonight, but now that it is installed it's trying to download updates and that is timing out partway through every time for me. I guess it's just really bogged down right now?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, this is an EXCEPTIONALLY slow patcher, and I've seen some slow patchers in my time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Time posted:

Umm is the best way to do the japanese captcha to try and match things from wikipedia? Because im having a hell of a time trying to do it.

edit: while creating a sega ID

Use the character map provided with Windows, just open it up and set it on like Arial or something easy to read, and select Japanese IME. Worked pretty good for me.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 25, 2013

heladocasero
Jul 27, 2010
I've been trying to download this for the past two days, if it helps. I finally got the installer, now I expect patching will take another day or two haha

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, this is an EXCEPTIONALLY slow patcher, and I've seen some slow patchers in my time.

I'm rocketing through it at about 4MB/sec. It might help that I'm downloading from Korea, though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

heladocasero posted:

I've been trying to download this for the past two days, if it helps. I finally got the installer, now I expect patching will take another day or two haha

Judging by the post below you, i would guess it all depends on your location, as all of the patch servers are located in Japan, your data bytes have to travel halfway around the world to reach you.

Xeroma
Nov 16, 2007
Robot Fan

Miijhal posted:

Man, the one thing I hate about this game is how all my favorite weapons and skill trees tend to be kind of terrible or at least mediocre. Knuckles and daggers are the big draw for me when it comes to Fighters, but everything I've read points to dual sabers being better in the vast majority of situations. And I love the ice techs and skill tree for Forces, but ice is kind of pathetic compared to fire, lightning, and light while the skill tree is just terrible in practice.

And yet I'm still craving myself some goofy space elf anime game. I'm going to wait to see how badly Sega botches E3 before I get on, but yeah, I'm about ready to just give in and go back to the Japanese server.

While I agree that ice technics are kind of a joke compared to fire or lightning, if anyone tells you Knuckles are bad they're out of their mind. They're a lot more mobile than Double Sabers[step attack cancels, son], have the best crowd control of any Fighter weapon thanks to Straight Charge being insane, and do pretty darn respectable damage in their own right. They do pretty much require their Gear to be any good though, so keep that in mind.

Twin Daggers are kinda situational, you wanna use them to hit specific boss weakpoints more than anything. Stuff like the horn on Vol Dragon's back, or Quartz Dragon's wings, or Zeshrayda's back cannons. They're not BAD for fighting normal enemies with, but their damage is comparatively low put next to the other Fighter weapons.

Xeroma fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 25, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

heladocasero posted:

Yeah when it's not outright dropping the connection every ten minutes I'm getting maybe 7kb/s. I think I'll try again tomorrow. And throughout the week.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
The patch server itself is in Korea. Dunno why, it just is.

Anyway, if you just downloaded the game and are trying to patch the client for the first time (or haven't played in a very long while and are behind on client patches), try using this: http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=211

It's a custom launcher someone made to help people use the English patch and stuff, but you don't need to use for that reason. It also will let you patch the game client through that launcher, which seems to be much more stable than the official launcher, which tends to throw HTTP errors at you every 20 or so minutes, forcing you to restart the entire patch process (minus the files it happened to grab before the error). Also, it will do things like actually display your download speed and patch progress, which the official launcher does not do.

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

I've downloaded and installed and patched PSO2 twice now, and both times it crashes during or right after the opening videos play. I'm at a loss on what to even do, since I can't read Japanese. Any ideas?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

hngkong posted:

I've downloaded and installed and patched PSO2 twice now, and both times it crashes during or right after the opening videos play. I'm at a loss on what to even do, since I can't read Japanese. Any ideas?

Dont reinstall, but do a file check (3rd option from the top on the launcher) then see if it can run without the patches first. Afterwards, make sure you're using the most recent patch files.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Hey, a lot of people have been asking about Mags on the irc so I'm dropping a link from PSO-World that has a guide for them here.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198250

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Downloading update....7.97 GB. I am never going to play this game, am I?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Xeroma posted:

While I agree that ice technics are kind of a joke compared to fire or lightning, if anyone tells you Knuckles are bad they're out of their mind. They're a lot more mobile than Double Sabers[step attack cancels, son], have the best crowd control of any Fighter weapon thanks to Straight Charge being insane, and do pretty darn respectable damage in their own right. They do pretty much require their Gear to be any good though, so keep that in mind.

Twin Daggers are kinda situational, you wanna use them to hit specific boss weakpoints more than anything. Stuff like the horn on Vol Dragon's back, or Quartz Dragon's wings, or Zeshrayda's back cannons. They're not BAD for fighting normal enemies with, but their damage is comparatively low put next to the other Fighter weapons.
That's good to hear. My biggest concern was basically how, back when PSO2 was first announced for the West, Hunters were at a state where you were basically worthless in a party, would die more often than everyone else, do way less damage, and probably not even get a chance to hit things that weren't bosses. I really don't want to have to deal with that, or the alternative of just spamming one stupidly overpowered photon art over and over again.

Xeroma
Nov 16, 2007
Robot Fan

Miijhal posted:

That's good to hear. My biggest concern was basically how, back when PSO2 was first announced for the West, Hunters were at a state where you were basically worthless in a party, would die more often than everyone else, do way less damage, and probably not even get a chance to hit things that weren't bosses. I really don't want to have to deal with that, or the alternative of just spamming one stupidly overpowered photon art over and over again.

I never thought Hunters or Fighters were bad in the past, and especially with the new Fury Stance it is not even remotely a weak class. Their damage output is ridiculous and they have good crowd control, albeit not on the level of a Force. That's hardly an insult though :v:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Miijhal posted:

Hunters/Fighters are indeed pretty powerful, don't get me wrong, but there are still certain PAs that are miles ahead of others in terms of usability and how much damage they deal (Sonic Arrow, Over End, Deadly Archer).

e: I did it! Now I can start playing the game!

Umberger fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 26, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
You can also add Straight Charge, Flash Thousand, Other Spin, Heavenly Fall, Slide End, Speed Reign, and Assault Buster to the list of unusually powerful/useful melee PAs. An odd quirk is that several of the above PAs get a huge boost in power at level 11+ and/or have undocumented bonuses like being able to hit multiple boss parts that fall within their hitboxes in a single attack. As an example, the power of Heavenly Fall jumps from 545 at level 10 to 726 at level 11, works through super armor (though doesn't hold the enemy) and does massive splash damage with the final hit that can damage multiple enemies and boss parts. Slide End jumps from 418 to 597, and has a huge hitbox with maxed Partisan gear. Or for a Deadly Archer quirk, the listed power at level 15 is 511, but is actually much higher when charged, inflicting more hits, with each hit doing more damage than uncharged. Conversely Assault Buster's listed power is for the charged version, with uncharged doing less than half as much damage.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, making a new account is really obnoxious. I lost my XP install CD, so I have zero japanese language support, so there's no way I can enter in the captcha.

Eh, I guess I'll just have to wait for the western release, if it ever happens.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, making a new account is really obnoxious. I lost my XP install CD, so I have zero japanese language support, so there's no way I can enter in the captcha.

you could try getting a friend to make the account for you.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

Does this page not work either? I don't know if you mean "I can't type the Hiragana" or "my computer literally can not display Japanese text", so sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Umberger posted:

Does this page not work either? I don't know if you mean "I can't type the Hiragana" or "my computer literally can not display Japanese text", so sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

Nope, my PC literally cannot display Japanese text.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Unless you have some hosed up version of XP the language pack should be installable without needing the instal CD.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Finally succeeded at getting everything set and working, including the story patch. This game is really pretty fun, especially using wired lances. Using a Rappy as a flail never gets old.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

How unstable is the story patch? Really unstable or maybe a crash now and then unstable?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

How unstable is the story patch? Really unstable or maybe a crash now and then unstable?

Hasn't crashed for me thus far, and I've played quite a bit. It's clearly quite incomplete, but I haven't gotten any kind of instability from it, at least not yet.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Ive had a few times where it got caught infintely loading a story mission but so far the latest patch hasnt given me trouble.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

How do you find your Player ID? I don't remember what I entered for it at all.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Bible posted:

How do you find your Player ID? I don't remember what I entered for it at all.

You can do it ingame by viewing your ARKS Card (My Data->Edit Arks Card->Preview) or press Back/Select/Middle Mouse Button and Change Character Overhead Display->Player ID Name.

Liverslapper
Jun 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer
More goons need to be playing this. If you are in-game and are on Ship 2 (why wouldn't you be?), don't forget to put your information in the registry on the first post. Also, do not forget to join the IRC channel if you want any help as well. You will find people in their that have turned anime and will help you with anything you need.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

As it turns out, the secret to the downloader actually loving doing anything is to use a VPN in the US. So yeah I should be able to play tonight :toot:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How do worlds/dungeons/levels/whatever work? PSO 1 style or is it more seemless?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Well, added myself to the registry. I'm not around much, though, partially due to time zones and partially due to college.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Anatharon posted:

How do worlds/dungeons/levels/whatever work? PSO 1 style or is it more seemless?

Each map is randomly generated occassionally being swapped out by another generated map after a certain amount of time.
There are 3 sections in each generated map. All of them connected, none are disconnect whatsoever.

Only in certain quests will maps be preset. They are namely time attack, story, and emergency quests.

KandaKo
Feb 17, 2013

Jeez, I'm really regretting making my character on ship 6 ages ago, I'll probably end up making a new character on 2 since that's where all the English speakers seem to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Ok...three days later I think I am downloaded and patched. I have hit a wall trying to get a sega ID though - does anyone have advice or a link with how I finish this up?

e: to clarify, after entering my email I get some popup that says who knows what.

rio fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 27, 2013

• Locked thread