Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Forti posted:

My favourite issue

Are you supposed to pay 20£ to read this crap ?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

unpacked robinhood posted:

It costs £1.40. Says so right above the magazine's title.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

unpacked robinhood posted:

That's the £20,100 that's 'up for grabs!'. Although due to the design it could also mean the model, or the santa hat, or the Xmas Horror.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I have so many questions.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The new home of Impact Wrestling.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

I was so busy looking at the dude in the scooter I didn't even notice the wrestling. It's like the worst magic eye :stare:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

This is how I always pictured American supermarkets. Glad to see it's real.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

My mother reads those trashy magazines e.g. That's Life, because she's also a moron. They are a goldmine of :psyduck:. At one point I was visiting and copied down the names of the stories from the front page and posted it online, I went to the liberty of digging it out.

My breast exploded IN THE SUPERMARKET

LAST SUPPER Murdered after her OMLETTE

My soldier lover was a sick pedo

My VAGINA fell apart!

SPIKED ON A BOOZY NIGHT OUT BY A METAL POLE!

I'M 50st...and my man pays to FEED me

My lips are made from my VAGINA

Capitalization directly from the story titles, not mine.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

moerketid posted:

My mother reads those trashy magazines e.g. That's Life, because she's also a moron. They are a goldmine of :psyduck:. At one point I was visiting and copied down the names of the stories from the front page and posted it online, I went to the liberty of digging it out.

My breast exploded IN THE SUPERMARKET

LAST SUPPER Murdered after her OMLETTE

My soldier lover was a sick pedo

My VAGINA fell apart!

SPIKED ON A BOOZY NIGHT OUT BY A METAL POLE!

I'M 50st...and my man pays to FEED me

My lips are made from my VAGINA

Capitalization directly from the story titles, not mine.

http://www.worldwideinterweb.com/item/2560-the-most-ridiculous-tabloid-headlines-of-all-time-25-photos.html

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Those are from the Weekly World News though, as opposed to a weekly magazine that a good number of British women actually believe and take seriously.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Paladinus posted:

This guy is set to win local elections in Belarus.
He's also currently unemployed and has criminal record.

Oh. Belarus has elections.

Is there anything funny in the text of the poster? One of the most awkward candidates I've ever read of was Lee Mercer in 2008, who was a scam and/or mentally ill. This link contains a decent summary of how embarrassing his message was.

http://www.agonybooth.com/agonizer/Mercer_for_President_2008.aspx

He could have been only the second negro president if he would have won in 2008. :confused:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

moerketid posted:

Those are from the Weekly World News though, as opposed to a weekly magazine that a good number of British women actually believe and take seriously.

What's not to take seriously about this

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Sludge Tank posted:

What's not to take seriously about this

British trashy magazines are secretly the best. I'd pay £2 for one maybe once. :allears:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The closest thing we have to that here in Australia is News Corp

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Apr 2, 2014

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
It's not just weirdos who read those magazines though. You'll find them in every staff lunch room and middle aged lady's handbag.

They are truly grotesque.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

joedevola posted:

It's not just weirdos who read those magazines though. You'll find them in every staff lunch room and middle aged lady's handbag.

They are truly grotesque.

This is nonsense.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

He goes by the nickname "Dragonborn"

... does he, though?

"Mooom, I told you to call me Dragonborn!"

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Weldon Pemberton posted:

What's wrong with cakes, small fairy-like creatures, or younger girl guides?

In seriousness, that guy's behaviour is by no means unique to bronies. Crazy obsessive fans have been believing they're married to cartoons in this manner since at least the dawn of the internet, and probably in other form long before that. They're usually either intensely lonely or incapable of understanding the value of real life relationships, so they turn to idealized characters.
The crazy anime boyfriends thread is still one of my favourite threads on SA, so many stories of bizarre people all in one place :allears:

On the subject of UK women's magazines being hilariously goddamn crazy, here's a website that collected a bunch of covers for you to laugh at. I'm convinced a good portion of the audience knows they're bullshit but finds them fun anyway, people can't be that gullible
They also tend to contain their fair share of AUG in their own right, horrible medical stories are a staple ingredient

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Inspector Zenigata posted:

We all lost something the day Weekly World News stopped publishing in print.

Nah, we lost WWN when some rear end in a top hat bought it and hired comedy writers instead of the old staff of former reporters.

quote:

In 1999, somebody taped that WWN story to a wall in the Senate press gallery, where it amused the press corps, although some scribes griped that the paper had underestimated the number of aliens in the Senate by at least three or four. Reporters loved the Weekly World News. Many fantasized about working for it and casting aside the tired old conventions of journalism, such as printing facts.

"Mainstream journalists read WWN and dreamed about killing the county sewer-system story they were working on and writing about a swamp monster or a 65-pound grasshopper," says Derek Clontz, who was a Weekly World News editor for 15 years.

In fact, most of WWN's writers really had escaped from mainstream newspapers, including the Philadelphia Inquirer and the New York Times. They figured life at the Weekly World News would be more fun -- and they were right.

"It was electrifying," says Sal Ivone, who worked at the New York Daily News before jumping to WWN. "Every day you'd go into the office and somebody would make you scream with laughter."

"It was just a hoot," says Joe Berger, who covered Congress for the Oregon Journal before escaping to WWN in 1981.

"We were the Beatles of fake journalism," says Clontz.
Eddie Clontz kept telling writers: You've got to give people a reason to believe. To do that, Berger says, they would write their weirdest stories in a very straight, just-the-facts-ma'am style. And they'd quote experts explaining how this strange event could occur. Sometimes the experts actually existed.

"I remember a story about a guy who went on a diet, and he got so hungry that he chased a dwarf down the street with a hatchet because he mistook the dwarf for a chicken," Berger recalls. "I'm pretty sure I wrote that story."

He's also pretty sure it was totally fictitious. But it had to seem true.

"We would explain to people how it was possible that a guy could get so hungry that he'd mistake a dwarf for a chicken," Berger says. "We'd interview a psychiatrist about it and quote him. And if we couldn't find one, we'd 'find' one."
They worked in an office in the back of the National Enquirer newsroom, behind a partition installed because Eddie Clontz's yelling disturbed the serious journalists at the Enquirer. Actually, everybody yelled. First, somebody would yell out an idea for a headline, then everybody else would yell out better ideas. The yelling was exceeded only by the laughing.

"There were days when I would leave work," Lind says, "with my stomach and my face hurting from laughing all day at the ideas being kicked around."
t sure was fun while it lasted. But then something happened.

"It turned to [bleep]," says Lind. "The guy who took over didn't understand what it was."

The guy who took over bears the delightfully Dickensian name of David Pecker. In 1999, Pecker bought American Media, which owned the National Enquirer, the Star and the Weekly World News. Changes were made and soon a lot of WWN's old-timers were gone -- Eddie Clontz, Ivone, Berger, Lind, Kulpa -- replaced by young comedy writers.

"He wanted to hire comedy writers," Ivone says. "But it's not just comedy. It's a different skill set."

Gradually, WWN changed. Bat Boy became a comic strip, one of several strips in the new WWN, none of them very comic. The new editors also added lame advice columns by "Lester the Typing Horse" and "Sammy the Chatting Chimp." Ed Anger remained and he was still "pig-biting mad" but he wasn't so funny anymore. Circulation plummeted.

"It was like seeing someone you love wither up and die," says Berger.

The old-timers say Pecker ruined the Weekly World News. What does Pecker say?

Nothing. He's not talking. Neither is anybody else at WWN. On July 24, the company issued a brief statement announcing that WWN was folding "due to the challenges in the retail and wholesale magazine marketplace."

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

- - -

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I used to just randomly pick up a copy whenever I was grocery shopping.

I was just jonsing for some WWN because of those pics, now I'm sad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Weekly World News was maybe the most tongue in cheek paper ever printed. I truly miss seeing when I'm checking out at grocery stores.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Iron Crowned posted:

I used to just randomly pick up a copy whenever I was grocery shopping.

I was just jonsing for some WWN because of those pics, now I'm sad.

You're in luck, friend. Google Books has every issue since 1980 archived.

http://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:0199574X?rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=0

protip: only read 1995 and back

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Bad Sneakers posted:

You're in luck, friend. Google Books has every issue since 1980 archived.

http://books.google.com/books/serial/ISSN:0199574X?rview=1&lr=&sa=N&start=0

protip: only read 1995 and back

This is perhaps some of the greatest news I've heard in a long time.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

God drat this is beautiful.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Forti posted:

My favourite issue

Wtf is this real or a joke? Because if not then :drat:

Especially the part about Rape Santa...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Yes, its 100% real and true

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Tin Tim posted:

Yes, that is a real magazine. Once again, here is a selection of what you might find in the women's interest section of a standard UK newsagent. Whether or not the stories themselves are true, I'll leave up to your judgement.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

vaguely posted:

On the subject of UK women's magazines being hilariously goddamn crazy, here's a website that collected a bunch of covers for you to laugh at. I'm convinced a good portion of the audience knows they're bullshit but finds them fun anyway, people can't be that gullible
They also tend to contain their fair share of AUG in their own right, horrible medical stories are a staple ingredient

I know a lot of women who take these super seriously. Most of the girls I went to school with (we're now 29) that I have lingering on Facebook? They take that poo poo seriously. My mother takes that poo poo seriously. All friends of hers across the years have taken that poo poo seriously. It's embarassing.

Chat, Take A Break, That's Life et al are some of the most popular UK magazines in print, remember. Every single store that sells magazines has these things. They are not jokes..unfortunately.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Have another sample.

Unfortunately the uploader did not include the full YUCKY PIC INSIDE so you'll have to imagine what horrors lie on that man's face.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

vaguely posted:

Yes, that is a real magazine. Once again, here is a selection of what you might find in the women's interest section of a standard UK newsagent. Whether or not the stories themselves are true, I'll leave up to your judgement.
Thanks, now I have something to laugh about later. Oh, and I didn't expect the stories to be true because come the gently caress on, but it baffles me that somebody actually sat down to write this for a magazine that you can buy in a store.

:reject: "Our Christmas issue is still a bit light, any ideas?"

:shrug: "Rape Santa?"

:reject: "Excellent."

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks, now I have something to laugh about later. Oh, and I didn't expect the stories to be true because come the gently caress on, but it baffles me that somebody actually sat down to write this for a magazine that you can buy in a store.

:reject: "Our Christmas issue is still a bit light, any ideas?"

:shrug: "Rape Santa?"

:reject: "Excellent."

A lot of them, I believe, pay readers to send in their stories. Or at least they used to back when I was growing up. I imagine they get the Not Always Right treatment, where someone sends in a dumb mundane story and the magazine writers turn it into some twisted tale of rape santas.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
These magazines also pay money to advertise for people to come forward with their stories on extras/acting sites. It is very odd finding some adverts to stand for or act in and seeing DO YOU HAVE A HORRIFYING STORY THE WORLD WONT BELIEVE?! 2000 POUNDS IF YOU CAN SHOCK OUR EDITOR!!! in there.

What baffles me even more is the UK now has a whole number of magazines dedicated simply to a TV show. If you have heard of a soap on tv, it will have a magazine in stores debating 'What will happen next week now four people have died, one has had a miscarriage and hard man Gary has left his wife?!?!'

Women's magazines are AUG in shiny paper format.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Another classy, poorly photographed highlight for you all

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

vaguely posted:

Have another sample.

Unfortunately the uploader did not include the full YUCKY PIC INSIDE so you'll have to imagine what horrors lie on that man's face.

Probably your bog standard necrotized flesh? I dunno man!

I wanna say it would be a photoshop since no one would let their face get like that without taking it to a doctor (well, not in Britain, they have godless socialized medicine and don't need to go into quintuple secret bankrupty over a doctor's visit) but I've read this entire thread so I know that's just not true. :sigh:

Shugojin has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The real Dark Souls starts here.

• Locked thread