Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy8
Aug 27, 2003

bawk bawk
I feel like I've been pretty luck last night and tonight,I opened an angel of dawn in 1 draft and won 3 packs,then tonight I went 2-1 in a swiss draft and got 2 normal packs and a primal pack.

Oh also I was rolling a chest and it rolled 3 gold hearts but I didn't notice it giving me anything special like the description says,oh well I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

crazy8 posted:

I feel like I've been pretty luck last night and tonight,I opened an angel of dawn in 1 draft and won 3 packs,then tonight I went 2-1 in a swiss draft and got 2 normal packs and a primal pack.

Oh also I was rolling a chest and it rolled 3 gold hearts but I didn't notice it giving me anything special like the description says,oh well I guess.

3 gold items is I think 5,000 gold.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
Just finished my full rare playset. Feels good.

Still short 3 mastery of times and 3 vampire kings. Hopefully I'll draft them in the coming weeks.

I feel like once Set 2 comes out that Set 1 top-tier legendaries will fall in price, simply because there will be more competing cards. Does that seem reasonable? Or should I go ahead and buy now?

Also, The price of packs on the AH is just silly. I am routinely successfully selling for 157 now. I expected this kind of price for Set 2, but never for Set 1. I guess the lion's share of KS packs has mostly been opened by now? Or maybe it just wasn't much when compared to 20,000 invites or whatever.

Edit: The price of rares and legendaries seems to be going way down already, except vamp king I guess.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 14, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Afgad posted:

I feel like once Set 2 comes out that Set 1 top-tier legendaries will fall in price, simply because there will be more competing cards. Does that seem reasonable? Or should I go ahead and buy now?

We're going to be opening 1/3rd the number of set 1 packs and we will be in open beta, meaning even more people will be looking for Angels and VKs. No, the prices are not dropping.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Best time to be selling cards is probably a few days before these VIP constructed tournaments are going to start.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Pack one: Open Sadistic Castigator. Take Buccaneer.
Pack two: Open Eternal Guardian. Take Buccaneer.
Pack three: Get passed a third pick Volcannon.
6-0

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I thought I got lucky the other day when I got passed a pack 2 Volcannon but ended up losing both games of round 1 to someone else playing dwarfs (neither of us ended up drawing Volcannon funnily enough)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

https://hextcg.com/hex-update-stay-frosty/

New update, they've got some Lore for their first PVE environment (which is ironically different than their PVE preview cards), AA for Master Theorycrafter which is a collector-level AA card (I can't recall what the other one is supposed to be and can't be arsed to look it up), and some VIP tournament update.

Fun fact, clicking "Discuss this article in our forums" takes you to the post for the 8/27 announcement about the free tournament that didn't fire.

quote:

...for the first VIP tournaments on September 26th
[...]
The AA VIP benefit rewards for the month of September will be inserted into accounts after the next patch.

That probably means there won't be any updates this month?

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Interesting tidbit I gleamed from the official forums: There is matchmaking that is not random.

HexChark posted:

There is matchmaking that's happening. Opponents are not random. However, when you start a matchmaking system, you tend to either run a bunch of placement matches to calibrate people's rating, or you set everyone at the new player/unknown level. We set everyone to new player/unknown level. We'll advertise it to players and incentivize it more in the future to encourage players to play in ladder matches, but we won't show how it works. Showing people their rating typically leads to toxicity and showing people ladder mechanics typically leads to system abuse.

Thread is here: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=38106

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Showing rating in ladder play is super important, though? It helps you to find out where you stand, particularly among members of your guild, so you know who to talk to to get better/practice against.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

I do kind of agree ranking leads to venom though. I can't help but think back to League of Legends.

People just went batshit crazy over their precious ELO. Losing some numbers was the end of the world, and it is never the fault of the player. I feel like the ragequitting over shard screw would get so bad. It's already bad.

I think it's OK to just do tournaments and leave the proving grounds secret. If we really want to know who to talk to to get better, we can look at tournament rankings.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

To be fair, video games on the internet in general lead to venom, though. I think not doing something useful because it might make people be lovely about how good they are is a weak argument, because absolutely anything you do in any capacity is going to make people be lovely. I mean, we have cosmetic sleeves and boy howdy people like calling me out on having spent money on a game i'm losing a round in.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

People are actually like, "Haha you spent money on this game and I'm still beating you" ? That's pretty shameful.

It can't be too common. I've never run into that even once.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

At least that way they're happy, so they wont insult you all that much.
When you have a kickstarter sleeve active and actually win, people tend to get really angry.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I love all my sleeves but I never play with any of them because I don't want new players who didn't kickstart getting lovely and thinking that Hex is Pay-to-Win

Cory keeps saying how good the community is and has been, and it's basically true that we aren't all poo poo cunts - but half of it I think it that by repeating it so often he's trying to get everyone to believe it and then act on it

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The only sleeve talk I get is people asking me where my Jaidiim sleeves are from.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like using the Guild Master sleeve because I figure almost no one is going to be using it even among other GK backers.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Anyone else think that the Dungeon Crawler sleeves are just the ugliest thing? There's so much going on in it, and I feel like the proportions in game are a bit goofy as well.

e: link to the image

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 17, 2014

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
I only use my Collectors Sleeves because I think they just look really awesome. It has kind of a 3-D Necro Book look when they're all stacked up in your deck. :spooky:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I use the Alpha Player sleeves, because I think they look the coolest.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I use captain sleeves because they look terrible.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Go RV! posted:

Anyone else think that the Dungeon Crawler sleeves are just the ugliest thing? There's so much going on in it, and I feel like the proportions in game are a bit goofy as well.

e: link to the image

I actually quite like them, and I've gotten several compliments on them in-game as well. I don't use them all that often though because I generally either theme my sleeve to my deck or just use the alpha player sleeves.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
So, they tweeted a new card: https://twitter.com/HexTCG/status/512400674936467456

On my phone ori would link the pic itself.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Could be interesting in Draft. The wording seems a little weird to me though. I feel like it would read better as "Put this and two other cards from your hand into your deck..."

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Protip posted:

...I feel like it would read better as "Put this and two other cards from your hand into your deck..."
That could still be ambiguous to people because 'this' also needs to be in your hand, but I'm sure they'll finalize less clunky wording

I really like that all the Voidtouched creatures flavour text and can't wait until it starts making some sense!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think it would read better as:

{S}{S}{S} 1: If this is in your hand, shuffle it and two other cards in your hand into your deck. Interrupt target card. This gains a permanent -4 to its cost.

As it reads right now, it looks like an ability you use when it's on the board, but this is actually a cheap-but-costly counterspell.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
Shoggoth looks like a neat oh poo poo button for the first three turns or so. More of a draft staple than constructed include imo.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

Shoggoth looks like a neat oh poo poo button for the first three turns or so. More of a draft staple than constructed include imo.
Right now I agree, but if we see some strong card draw added I could see this being great in control decks, as people don't think anything of a control deck holding 1 mana open.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
I hope they start designing cards that take advantage of being discarded. See Madness in MTG.

Should I be trying to sell my extra cards for some plat or hold on to them when all the new players arrive? I started less then two weeks ago and have played about 40$ worth of drafts so far. I have yet to go 3-0 but my average is 2-1. I typically only play swiss because I feel I get more enjoyment out of my money and my skill at drafting isn't up to single elim yet.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Forgotton posted:

I hope they start designing cards that take advantage of being discarded. See Madness in MTG.

Should I be trying to sell my extra cards for some plat or hold on to them when all the new players arrive? I started less then two weeks ago and have played about 40$ worth of drafts so far. I have yet to go 3-0 but my average is 2-1. I typically only play swiss because I feel I get more enjoyment out of my money and my skill at drafting isn't up to single elim yet.
I think the two sweet spots coming up are just before first vip constructed tournament and when open beta starts.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
So is there going to be any deck worth playing in the VIP tourney that's not Vampire King/Angel or Gorefeast based? With the tourney having an entry fee I assume you're only going to see the few Tier 1 decks.

As somebody with no Vampire Kings or Angels and not crazy about Gorefeast decks, I prefer control, what is a poor peasant supposed to do?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The last community tournament thing had a new deck that played both Pact of Pain and Pact of Life. It also doesn't have any legendaries in the main deck

http://hextcgpro.com/htp-season-1-invitational-summary/ (Ctrl+F "Zubrin‘s Tu-Pact")

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Rylek posted:

So is there going to be any deck worth playing in the VIP tourney that's not Vampire King/Angel or Gorefeast based? With the tourney having an entry fee I assume you're only going to see the few Tier 1 decks.

As somebody with no Vampire Kings or Angels and not crazy about Gorefeast decks, I prefer control, what is a poor peasant supposed to do?

I ran a mono-blood control in the Hextechs open, and it ran pretty well. Mine did run Vampire Kings, but you can definitely replace them with a number of other things, like Droo's, or Sadistic Castigator. A similar build also split the win for the Invitational.

Mono Sapphire has been getting very popular recently as well. Check Elademri's decklists, he won the last Challenge Series tourney with it, and has just been on a roll. Stormcall/Gralk/Mastery of Time softlock to win.

There was a Sapph/Diamond control build run by Tower that won one of the Alpha HexTCGPro tourneys as well that didn't run Angels, just Soul Marble and Living Totems.

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 18, 2014

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Go RV! posted:

I ran a mono-blood control in the Hextechs open...A similar build also split the win for the Invitational.
As someone who didn't participate everyone should feel free to ignore my opinion, but the way the prizes were set out for 1st / 2nd was a loving joke; 1st place gets a Vanity Card AND a flight to HexCon AND some other poo poo, 2nd place gets a few packs

If I were feeling extra cynical I would say it was designed with collusion in mind (amicably splitting prizes amongst jtatta's buddies or making an offer that an outsider can't refuse while jtatta's buddy still gets the coolest prize), but that's because whenever I get too bored and conspiratorial I start to think that everything the big Hex streamers do is with one eye toward collusion (how surprising that all the best prizes during the charity stream seemed to end up with Neo's forum buddies)

But then I remember that it's still just a really small community and I am basically a proven idiot :)

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I forgot I signed up for a draft, and I missed the first six picks :(. I still won. :getin:

I've really started to love mono blood with a one of loregoyle and all the terrible transfers. This time I also put in three oracle songs. Worked amazingly.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm back from Argentina and able to play Hex again (it was nice f them to give away non-expiring tickets while I was gone). I still have a small handful of beta codes left if anyone needs one, and the GenCon sleeve giveaways will resume this week!

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Weirdest bug every encountered: Try to use ivory pawn, it passes my priority and I don't even get hp.

Does it every time. Not a single occurrence.

From then on, my combat phase was skipped every turn.

Welp.

Did some investigating: it's the Time Bug. When it did damage to my opponent it basically borked the entire game. I think.

Edit: Finally ran into a rager. The precious tears as I beat him 2- 0 in a draft.

:mad:"Sup noob? maybe better hand?"

After that game I switch to the cake sleeve.

:troll: "The cake is for you. It is sweet and delicious."
:mad: "? I don't talk with geeks buy more kickstarts"
:troll: "Are you sure? It is so moist."
:mad: "lol more luck geek"
:mad: "ur so bad without +/+" (I guess he meant the combat tricks I was playing?)
:mad: "bg bob"

Winning a round never felt so good.

Afgad fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 20, 2014

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Wow thread has been dead lately.

New topic, new post:

Some dudes on the official forum are organizing inter-guild tournaments.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=37566

quote:

1. Your guild leader will have to register his guild in the Féderation International de HeX TCG Association-> FIXA, we then take donations on where to hold this cup, and what guilds will actually be allowed to participate. We take all major currencies and platinum.
Just kidding ;-). Your guild leader will just register the guild with us.

2. Each guild will determine their own team of four members registered with their guild. It is up to each guild to determine the composition of their teams.

3. Once registration is complete, schedule and start date will be published (in coordination with guild leaderships). The guilds will then be drawn into pods and play round robin. The most successful teams will then advance into the single elimination part of the tournament, much like during a FIFA World Cup.

4. Each match between teams will consist of three individual matches (the fourth player is a substitute) in Best of X format. The team that generates at least two wins, wins the team match. The results of individual matches will be used in tie breakers.

5. The order of what player plays what opposing players will be done through rankings. I.e. each player on a team will be assigned a spot on the the teams depth chart. In matches there will always be the first active player play against the first active player on the other team (much like it is organized in Tennis team competition).

6. The format is Set 1 Constructed, even if Set 2 is available.

7. Deck lists will be collected and published for individual matches. Decks can be changed between matches.

Do we want to enter some Hexagoons? May just be something to do while we're bored waiting for Set 2 to come out. (Or anything to come out.)

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Tournaments lately have kind of soured me. Individual matches, just for-fun games have been great. Lots of cool decks and good times.

Tournaments are loving awful, and about eighty percent of players are running blood diamond control.

I'd honestly rather wait until set two when the card pool opens up a bit, but obviously I don't speak for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'd do this.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Tournaments lately have kind of soured me. Individual matches, just for-fun games have been great. Lots of cool decks and good times.

Tournaments are loving awful, and about eighty percent of players are running blood diamond control.

I'd honestly rather wait until set two when the card pool opens up a bit, but obviously I don't speak for everyone.

That's why you run a deck that beats the BD Control/Gorestorm meta. Here's a write-up of the HexTCGPro Invitational from a few weeks ago, with a good range of archetypes.

• Locked thread