Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OBi posted:

I think the [+3/+0] indicates it gives you 3 mana without giving your champion 3 charge, which 3 individually played resources would.

Mana is expressed as Temporary/Permanent - the amount of mana you currently have to spend and the amount you generate each turn. If you have 6 resources you start the turn with [6/6]; if you then play a 2cc spell you will have [4/6]. Any basic resource will give you [1/1] - you get 1 point of mana right now and generate 1 each turn. This is interesting for the purposes of design space, as it's possible to make [0/1] resources that don't generate mana on the turn they enter play or [2/0] resources that give a temporary mana boost but afterwards only increase thresholds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

signalnoise posted:

Soooo, straight up, nothing you do for free can net you anything for PvP? Is that correct

This is not correct. They've said that it will be possible to earn a few boosters in PVE without the Auction House, although they'll probably be pretty rare since boosters are Cryptozoic's main form of revenue. Probably the best realistic case is boosters as a prize for a high-end raid you can do once a week or so.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 24, 2013

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jedit posted:

Mana is expressed as Temporary/Permanent - the amount of mana you currently have to spend and the amount you generate each turn. If you have 6 resources you start the turn with [6/6]; if you then play a 2cc spell you will have [4/6]. Any basic resource will give you [1/1] - you get 1 point of mana right now and generate 1 each turn. This is interesting for the purposes of design space, as it's possible to make [0/1] resources that don't generate mana on the turn they enter play or [2/0] resources that give a temporary mana boost but afterwards only increase thresholds.

Yeah, I could totally see Dual Gems that give you two thresholds, but 0/0.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pumpinglemma posted:

This is not correct. They've said that it will be possible to earn a few boosters in PVP without the Auction House, although they'll probably be pretty rare since boosters are Cryptozoic's main form of revenue.

You mean PVE, I take it? Because I can't see them running drafts with no prizes.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Jedit posted:

You mean PVE, I take it? Because I can't see them running drafts with no prizes.

Derp, yes. Fixed in the original post.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Just pledged at the Dungeon Crawler tier. I've been waiting for something like the old Shandalar MtG game to come out for years, and the PvE in this game sounds exactly like what I've been waiting for. I'm not big on MMOs, and don't see myself doing much/any group raiding or whatever, but being able to play a few games against the AI whenever I want seems awesome to me.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm really excited for this game, MTGO was just too expensive for me to justify other than trying it out once or twice. I really enjoy the DotP releases they've been doing, that gives me my TCG fix for a while. These generous stretch goals make it so I feel like I can actually afford it to get invested in a TCG from the ground up. Like a few others have said, I get nerd fantasies when thinking about if I could have gotten in on Magic from the beginning. I probably would have if I knew it existed, but my first boosters were from Ice Age.

I'm feeling rather impatient and I didn't back Infinity Wars or Solforge, are there any other online TCG's worth looking into? I played that Might & Magic: Duel of Champions the other day and it is competent enough. If you do the three missions by the end you have enough for a starter deck and about 10 packs of cards not including the 5 they give you as a reward during missions. I was able to turn my starter deck into a not so terrible version of it. It's not good enough i'm going to drop any money on it though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

This is not correct. They've said that it will be possible to earn a few boosters in PVE without the Auction House, although they'll probably be pretty rare since boosters are Cryptozoic's main form of revenue. Probably the best realistic case is boosters as a prize for a high-end raid you can do once a week or so.

Where did they say that? I had this exchange with them over kickstarter messaging a few days ago

quote:

Thursday May 9 2013, 7:10pm EDT

Quick question: will you be able to earn booster packs through gameplay or will they be cash only?

Thanks!

quote:

Cryptozoic Entertainment
Tuesday May 14 2013, 7:31pm EDT

Hello,

It is too early to correctly answer this question, but I can say the main method will be through soft-subscription or pack purchases. If you want to know more about soft subscription, read update #6.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/480853

Thanks.

So my understanding is that that wasn't decided yet. Of course for all I know it has been in the meantime.

Has anyone heard if they're going to make any non-basic energy cards? I'm not sure how they would since it looks like they don't even remain as cards after being played.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
To those complaining about cliche races, what about the most awesome race of all: Shroomkin!

The happy mushroom people who on occasion mutate into building sized monsters

Also, today's article is another dungeon-based one. Apparently, faction can dictate how the dungeons play, which encourages making multiple characters: http://hextcg.com/the-krakens-lair/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Here's a fan database of all known cards so far:

http://hex.potion-of-wit.com/

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Karnegal posted:

To those complaining about cliche races, what about the most awesome race of all: Shroomkin!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Where did they say that? I had this exchange with them over kickstarter messaging a few days ago

So my understanding is that that wasn't decided yet. Of course for all I know it has been in the meantime.

Cory referenced earning boosters in PVE in the Twitch livestream, and I think it's since been confirmed in the forums (but I have no idea where). I don't think we have any details yet.

quote:

Has anyone heard if they're going to make any non-basic energy cards? I'm not sure how they would since it looks like they don't even remain as cards after being played.

We haven't had any previewed yet, but the Auction House image in the Kickstarter shows what looks like a non-basic resource.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Kinda weird question.

I haven't played a TCG in over a decade, hell, it's probably been over fifteen years since I played M:TG back in high school. I know Hex is largely similar to Magic (one reason it caught my interest), but I also know that Magic has evolved considerably since my day. Back in ye Olden Tyme, which for me was basically Revised Edition, the major decks I remember were black card-loss/drain life decks, hordes of cheap white 1/1 creatures, and for people with crazy cards, various first-turn-kill shenanigans.

I feel like I probably have a lot of strategic catching up to do. Is there a website I can look at somewhere that tells me what the major deck strategies have been in M:TG over the past few years? Does anyone have any thoughts on what sort of strategies we're likely to see in Hex?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

That entirely depends on how far back you want to look, to get a snapshot of the current decks ruling the roost https://www.mtgtop8.com is quite useful, you can then search for the decks in there to get a better understanding of it. Of course if you want the shortest path the MTG threads in this very subforum, the Main Thread and Deck building brewhaus can service you very nicely with goon Advice.

For at least my understand since you have played two of the main changes are that creatures are now much better than they were and that there have been some changes to combat and the stack (in that Combat damage no longer can be responded to, so you can't 2 for 1 with sac effects).

As for hex without a better understanding of the core set I think it is mostly guesswork at the moment, though I feel that multi colour decks will be very viable with the threshold mechanic as it is harder to get flooded of one type of your mana, epsecially if there are good cards at 1-2 threshold (In essence instead of you needing to assign specific Mana colors like in magic, you have a simple check requirment of having played X number of a given type of Mana source and mana is all colorlessness.. In magic if you only have one source of red and a hand full of red spells you tend to be poo poo out of luck but in Hex if they need 1 Ruby you can play 1 ruby and then 6 Wild (the green analogue) and still play them all.)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
From the previews, we've seen a few decks. There was a Shin'hare swarm deck that just made a ton of dudes and buffed them in order to overwhelm it's opponent with troops. We've seen an Orc deck that put out haste guys in an attempt to win quick. We've seen a mid-range human deck where each card buffs subsequent ones so that you end up building stronger and stronger guys, and we've seen a necrotic control deck that kills enemies, puts out weak guys who die and come back to clog up the ground, and then draws a bunch if cards for life while using drain life spells to restock. These are probably a pretty narrow slice of decks, but they hint at a lot of different potentials.

In terms of general Magic strategies that probably have Hex analogs, you have:

Aggro - play a lot of cheap fast guys and try to kill your opponent before they get up and going.
Mid-Range - Play medium-sized guys who are very powerful relative to their cost.
Control - Try to keep your opponent's creatures off the board with counter magic or mass removal (we don't know what the state of counterspells will be in Hex). Once you have the board under your control, you move onto deploying a win condition.
Combo - use the interaction of multiple cards to achieve an unfair effect (Channel + Fireball in classic Magic). Usually, these decks win really quickly but are prone to disruption.

There are many more types of decks, but those are some of the basics.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Can anyone's familiar with the other games this company has made tell whether these guys are prone to power creep? I had to get out of Poxnora for that reason.

Edit. gently caress it I'm in for 250 and the dungeon crawler bonus and maybe I can make my money back in the secondary market. Even in a tiny game like pox, people were able to sell their accounts for decent scratch when they were done, and getting like twice my buy in in value is hard to pass up.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 24, 2013

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Can anyone's familiar with the other games this company has made tell whether these guys are prone to power creep? I had to get out of Poxnora for that reason.

I'm probably not qualified to answer this question because I don't play any of Cryptozoic's other TCGs, but a large chunk of the reason I even gave this game a second look is the fact that they managed to make a Magic competitor (The Wow TCG) that managed to last more than a year. Even more impressive is that they did it with a licensed property. If they can keep a card game in print and selling well for 7+ years, they know what they're doing.

(I know that Upper Deck technically started printing it, but when it turned out that UDE was a bunch of forgery-printing criminals the Wow team jumped ship to Cryptozoic. For all practical purposes, it's the same people.)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
^^^^^ Yeah, CZ's COO pretty much came up with the WoW TCG

signalnoise posted:

Edit. gently caress it I'm in for 250 and the dungeon crawler bonus and maybe I can make my money back in the secondary market. Even in a tiny game like pox, people were able to sell their accounts for decent scratch when they were done, and getting like twice my buy in in value is hard to pass up.

From what I hear, WoW TCG power creep is less noticeable than MtG power creep, they also have very few banned cards. With that said, I don't think Magic power creep is bad. Creatures are better now, but that's because they used to be awful. I play Legacy as my favored format and it has a nice mix of really old card, moderately old cards, and new cards. Similarly, while Vintage is weighted towards old cards, new ones still come along and change things now and again. I think CZ has the design chops to avoid anything egregious in that category.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Karnegal posted:

^^^^^ Yeah, CZ's COO pretty much came up with the WoW TCG

From what I hear, WoW TCG power creep is less noticeable than MtG power creep, they also have very few banned cards. With that said, I don't think Magic power creep is bad. Creatures are better now, but that's because they used to be awful. I play Legacy as my favored format and it has a nice mix of really old card, moderately old cards, and new cards. Similarly, while Vintage is weighted towards old cards, new ones still come along and change things now and again. I think CZ has the design chops to avoid anything egregious in that category.

Less power creep than magic is good enough for me. So long as it isn't "be current or lose" that's ok

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
In at the Collector Tier. I'd go Grand King or Dragon Lord if they had more available, but Collector seems like the best of the rest.

MTGO is awesome, but the price point on the digital packs is too high, and the client is hopeless. This takes care of those two big complaints, and has the ability to do some neat things that only a digital game could do. Looking forward to it.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

War Eagle posted:

MTGO is awesome, but the price point on the digital packs is too high, and the client is hopeless. This takes care of those two big complaints, and has the ability to do some neat things that only a digital game could do. Looking forward to it.
Basically my thoughts exactly. At the very least this might force MTGO to actually put some of that fortune they're pulling in back into development for a change.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stormgale posted:

As for hex without a better understanding of the core set I think it is mostly guesswork at the moment, though I feel that multi colour decks will be very viable with the threshold mechanic as it is harder to get flooded of one type of your mana, epsecially if there are good cards at 1-2 threshold (In essence instead of you needing to assign specific Mana colors like in magic, you have a simple check requirment of having played X number of a given type of Mana source and mana is all colorlessness.. In magic if you only have one source of red and a hand full of red spells you tend to be poo poo out of luck but in Hex if they need 1 Ruby you can play 1 ruby and then 6 Wild (the green analogue) and still play them all.)

Thanks, that's a good thought. I read through a bunch of the links y'all provided and I think I have a decent grasp of how things mostly work these days.One thing I've noticed is that there seem to be a lot more cards (both in Hex and in MTG) that pull from the graveyard than there were back when I was playing MTG.

At this point, yeah, we're theorycrafting. I'm also wondering if the ability to insert cards into opponent's decks or generate many new cards of your own might alter the standard "minimum number of cards only" rule. But we'll see.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone know what the colored symbol at the bottom of the cards indicates? Also is there a symbol or way of determining card rarity?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
^^^^^^ Color determines rarity

White - common
green - uncommon
blue -rare
red - legendary
orange - promo

the little mask looking symbol is the PvE symbol

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, that's a good thought. I read through a bunch of the links y'all provided and I think I have a decent grasp of how things mostly work these days.One thing I've noticed is that there seem to be a lot more cards (both in Hex and in MTG) that pull from the graveyard than there were back when I was playing MTG.

At this point, yeah, we're theorycrafting. I'm also wondering if the ability to insert cards into opponent's decks or generate many new cards of your own might alter the standard "minimum number of cards only" rule. But we'll see.

Well, in today's article they writer talked about having 59 cards in his deck for a dungeon when one of his 60 was lost (just for the duration of the dungeons) due to a PvE encounter. So we know that, at times, at least in PvE, you can have less than 60 cards.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

Whoa some of these cards and ideas are so interesting.

So the Spectral Lotus transforms into a Black Tiger after use permanently (even after the game ends). There a Spectral Lotus Garden card that creates a Spectral Lotus and adds it your collection the first time you login each day. The concept of cards that manipulate your collection and are not used in decks is super cool. I do wonder what effect this will have on the availability and price of certain cards. I would expect the Spectral Lotus to be low-value since the production of it can be 100% controlled by players.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
In @ King level. This looks really good, and scratches all of my Magic itches with out all of the Magic hassles. No need for an economy based on non digital product, an interface that looks clean and functional, and digital product at a decent price. Drafts for $7 instead of $14, because you again don't have to have digital product with the same cost as paper product. This means I can spend half as much as I do now for a similar experience, or I can get in twice as many drafts for what I pay now. I hope this thing takes off and goes places, and I could careless if it makes WOTC sit up and take notice of the garbage that is MTGO.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Exclusive posted:

So the Spectral Lotus transforms into a Black Tiger after use permanently (even after the game ends). There a Spectral Lotus Garden card that creates a Spectral Lotus and adds it your collection the first time you login each day. The concept of cards that manipulate your collection and are not used in decks is super cool. I do wonder what effect this will have on the availability and price of certain cards. I would expect the Spectral Lotus to be low-value since the production of it can be 100% controlled by players.

The spectral lotus garden also lets you combine 4 black tigers back into a spectral tiger.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The one card concept that blew my mind was the 3cc burn spell that does 3 damage to the player and the top three cards of his deck. Nice bears. They're dead now.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

The one card concept that blew my mind was the 3cc burn spell that does 3 damage to the player and the top three cards of his deck. Nice bears. They're dead now.

Holy poo poo, I never saw that one. That very concept is blowing my mind - you can use burn spells on creatures your opponent hasn't even drawn yet. :psyboom:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Exclusive posted:

Not quite. Only kickstarter accounts @ King and up will have Spectral Lotus Gardens, so there's going to be a finite number of Garden cards. It depends on a couple things.

1) How popular and involved the PvE game is. If it's a full on MMO in its own right as deep as WoW or something there will be a market for the Spectral Lotus, if only to reduce deck size by four(Play for 0 cost, draw a card) or as zero cost artifacts for dwarf decks.
2) How popular the game is generally. If nobody buys in beyond the kickstarter, everyone and their brother will have the garden and the lotus will be worthless. If a million subscribers hit, less than a tenth of a percent of players will have gardens and the Spectral Lotus will probably be fairly valuable.

Karnegal posted:

Well, in today's article they writer talked about having 59 cards in his deck for a dungeon when one of his 60 was lost (just for the duration of the dungeons) due to a PvE encounter. So we know that, at times, at least in PvE, you can have less than 60 cards.

Yeah, good catch. It sounds like if cards die in PvE play they stay dead for the length of the dungeon, which is another good reason to stack your deck big and thick.

I kinda like that. Some of the most fun Magic games I ever played were ones where people played with like 500-card decks because you got crazier results and there was a lot more variation game to game.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 24, 2013

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
Check out Zombie Plague from the database of cards linked earlier, it does something similar but more control-ish. Pretty sweet too.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Another thing to consider is that there will be constant demand for them - unlike other cards where you acquire 4 of them and you're done for good, you need to constantly resupply your lotuses as you use them.

Lotuses will probably result in an entire sub-market of their own, with producers snapping up Black Tigers, converting them to lotuses, and reselling them.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Spectral Lotus is the new SOJ.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Yeah, good catch. It sounds like if cards die in PvE play they stay dead for the length of the dungeon, which is another good reason to stack your deck big and thick.

I kinda like that. Some of the most fun Magic games I ever played were ones where people played with like 500-card decks because you got crazier results and there was a lot more variation game to game.

Actually, I think this was an ability unique to the Kraken in that dungeon, but I would assume it will have various takes on the same effect in other dungeons. So, you don't play down a card every time a guy dies, but the Kraken can yoink guys out of your deck. The thematic stuff for the dungeons sounds really cool. Like how keeping the mayor alive is better for Ardent faction in the long run but makes that match vs the AI harder. It reminds me of some of the better WoW raids from back when I played. As much as I'm a competitive player, I'm pretty excited about the PvE.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

No, the article explicitly states this is something the Kraken Tentacle encounters do and is outside the norm.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Might be exclusive to that encounter right now, but going forward I think it sounds like a pretty awesome idea for a dungeon. Design it around the idea that when your creatures die they are dead and when your spells are used they are gone and/or giving the AI the ability to mill your cards or remove them outright. Maybe make the dungeon completion rewards scale with how small your deck was when you started since having a larger deck will make it easier.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm thinking of getting in at the Champion tier but I'm holding out hope that a King early bird will open up. The value difference is pretty insane (I realize it's an early bird special but still)

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Might be exclusive to that encounter right now, but going forward I think it sounds like a pretty awesome idea for a dungeon. Design it around the idea that when your creatures die they are dead and when your spells are used they are gone and/or giving the AI the ability to mill your cards or remove them outright. Maybe make the dungeon completion rewards scale with how small your deck was when you started since having a larger deck will make it easier.

This, only you can find cards in the dungeon and add them to your deck. It could be like a mini-roguelike.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Wezlar posted:

I'm thinking of getting in at the Champion tier but I'm holding out hope that a King early bird will open up. The value difference is pretty insane (I realize it's an early bird special but still)

Try this:

"Download chrome, search for the chrome extension auto refresh plus, set that up to refresh the page every 1 second, and go to settings, check the box that says alert if text found, pledge 250$ on any 250 tier (if you want pvp), then go to the manage pledge area click the auto refresh plus icon, and in the search bar type in 1 of 913 then click start. it will automatically refresh the page, then play a tone when that is found. click pvp, and click change pledge. Done.

if you want grand king, change your pledge amount to 500 and pick any option, save that, go back to manage pledge and put in 1 of 959 in the search instead."

You can set your pledge at whatever you're aiming for, but I think this is the best method for getting tiers that are sold out. The best time to try to grab them will be in the last 48 hours.

VVVVV At this point, I think that they're launching with multiplayer PvE, but I don't think we have any confirmation fro PvP

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

This, only you can find cards in the dungeon and add them to your deck. It could be like a mini-roguelike.

The fact that things like this are possible is so awesome. The more I think about it the more I'm really happy with the concept of an MMO CCG. Especially because there don't appear to be things like corpse runs, or any of the other things that make a game annoying.

I think the final stamp of quality for me will be being able to do harder dungeons because I'm skillful, rather than having to do some bullshit easy quest over and over to grind. I am just imagining the possibility for grind in a CCG and it sounds like the most painful poo poo, but I have a feeling it'll be sidestepped.

Hey, do we have 2v2/3v3 etc marked for availability at release? I saw in a thing that they were planning on having 2v2 and 3v3 tournaments, but they were going to wait until the community was established to put them out. Any idea if we're going to have them for casuals at launch, so I can play co-op PvP with friends? It's a huge selling point for my group.

I'd also like to see the ability to join multiple guilds but I don't have my hopes up for it. If I could be a goon and still have access to friend-only guild bank poo poo though, that'd be a massive plus.

I would of course post this on the comments thread on KS about it, but it appears to busy to get a real response.

• Locked thread