Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm intrigued by the mention of PvPvE tournaments where you can use all of your PvE cards and champions. It should be a riot to watch.

Meanwhile, they're brilliant about the number of free packs they're passing out. I did some calculations with the 300 packs I'll be getting at launch, and if I just draft them (excluding the free drafts) they would get just under $200 in "tickets" out of me by the time I was done if I won an average of 1.5 packs a draft. I don't see myself doing 200 drafts of just Set 1, so we'll see how they decide to handle Blocks.

e: Also, drafts will probably run $6 at market price... :allears:

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

The one card concept that blew my mind was the 3cc burn spell that does 3 damage to the player and the top three cards of his deck. Nice bears. They're dead now.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

One thing I love right now is what I've estimated to be the cost of drafting. I pay $15 at my FLGS for a FNM draft, leaving with 1-8 packs. Taking taxes out of the equation and assuming 1.5 packs in prizes per player, here's what I would get in MTGO vs Hex:

MTGO - Buy 15 Event Tickets. Use those tickets to buy my packs (10.31 at current market value), end up with 4 tickets plus Bot Credit. End the draft on average with 2 Tickets, 1-2 packs, my cards, and Bot Credit. If I didn't win at least three packs and/or open a money card that can fill the gap, I'm done. By buying more tickets at once, you can soften the cost because you just have to replace the packs you didn't win if you didn't already have them in your collection, but if you only have a few dollars MTGO takes bites out of that money quickly.

HEX - Buy 15 HexBux. Use those to buy packs (we'll assume for now that it's 2 HexBux per pack, but I expect them to be cheaper). End up on average with six packs and 3 HexBux remaining. Do two drafts, end with an average of 3 packs and the entry fee for a third draft. (Have a free draft from the KickStarter? That just makes it easier to get those three prize packs, so that brings your total to four.) That's three drafts, and you only spent $15.

It seems so fabulously disruptive compared to the prices on MTGO, I'm excited to hear the details. We'll learn more about how accurate these calculations are as time progresses.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 27, 2013

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

There's art on the cards? :v:

Yeah, that's embarrassing but I've played with all sorts of embarrassing art if the card is good.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

OH GOD MY WALLET! :v: :dance: :pcgaming:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

BenRGamer posted:

Boosters from Set 1 are gonna be next to worthless with the amount flooding the market.

Then you had better draft them like crazy.

:black101:draftdraftdraftdraftdraft:black101:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Personally, I'd love the ability to Team Draft even though it may not be the wisest thing in an online format.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

signalnoise posted:

Man, something I really hadn't thought about before, but it just struck me that a major factor in being able to win a draft is knowing the set you're drafting inside and out so you can sort of bet on certain types of cards being in packs at various rarities. I think I'm going to stink at drafting just because I am really bad at memorizing 300 cards including their rarities.

You don't need to memorize all 300 cards. You only need at least know what the good ones are, or learn how to evaluate the cards on the fly. Knowing the Commons is the most important thing since you'll see them the most, followed by Uncommon, and so on. I try to get a handle on the removal spells and combat tricks of a set, because that will let me know what my opponent will be able to cast at any time.

Drafting takes practice, but it's a blast. Hopefully they'll have the Swiss option like on MTGO so you can get maximum playing time for your money if you choose.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Jedit posted:

If it's a soft launch beta as people have suggested, it will last until the day the game goes live.

Which means more time to draft Set One! :black101:draftdraftdraft...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

pumpinglemma posted:

Rare, blue if it's good meat, with horseradish. It's the one true way. (I'm trying and failing to see how anyone could be petty enough to quit a guild over it, though...)

HERITIC I KILL YOU :ese: NEW GUILD NOW

:v:

In all seriousness, three person raids plus no raid timer restrictions should make things pretty chill.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Captain Capitalism posted:

I'm glad they've been keeping up with the weekly updates, I feel like they've been pretty up front with everything. Still wish there was more PvE info though.

This game has PvE? :v:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:allears:

Thank you, Cryptozoic.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

My usual username isn't Keep-worthy... :ohdear:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I wish that it was "Haus of..." and it led to fierce drag battles in the middle of Hex.

I like the naming idea, I just need to decide what I want to put down.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I won't have internet until Wednesday... :suicide:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I never even considered the possibility that resources would be exiled. Glad that I read that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Just got mine! :dance: :pcgaming:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I wish I were able to complain about the download speed, but the installers messed up my DSL installation at our new place yesterday and I can't get a repair until tomorrow... :negative:

(Not that I'll have time today, I just want my precious precious internet!)

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I have working internet finally and now I can start downloading! :woop:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

oh god drafting is live and i have the day off tomorrow :pcgaming: :woop:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Three Primals here, opened 10 packs as well for the hell of it because I know I'm not going to be able to get through all of them right away.

Can't wait for the drafting to start... :getin:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm not that concerned about Tournaments not being up yet. There's plenty of time to play and as others have mentioned there's the Prerelease this weekend.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm looking forward to when they start clarifying how future sets interact with the Block/Standard/etc. setup. When 002 comes out will it be 1/1/2 or 2/1/1 or 2/2/2 or...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

SHARED ASSETS... DOWNLOAD FASTER :argh:

I'm in no rush to draft yet, so I'm glad that they changed the expiration dates on my free drafts. Not that missing one free draft over the lifetime of the account would mean anything, but I never got a chance to play before everything blew up.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I definitely want to start drafting asap but I've got things this weekend to occupy my time... I just need to start drafting those packs soon...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

But it's Eurovision night when I get home... :negative: it had better be working tomorrow evening.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Finally got my first draft in, 1-1 losing to what I assume will be a typical Dwarf Robot deck that I need to learn.

Now finish that last draft so I can start spinning away that sweet sweet gold...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm trying not to have a knee-jerk response to this yet, but part of me is totally on the "gently caress WotC" bandwagon. I could easily shift over to Netrunner at this point...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I would expect that the odds of this getting in front of a jury is minimal.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I hope I get into the tourney, I've been waiting for the final step for the last 30+ minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

If there's no Fish Hands I will be sorely disappointed. :colbert:

• Locked thread