Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the best/only way to simulate a universe is to construct said universe.

Far easier to only simulate the bits you're interested in at the fine level and fudge the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

BastardySkull posted:

Surely you would hit a wall where you would have to use all the matter in the entire universe to simulate all the matter in a universe or some poo poo like that.

edit: like, they can't even properly simulate subatomic stuff accurately enough to truly predict that something does or doesn't exist. Even when they do physical tests they only say that something has a 'probability' of existing.
Procedurally generated worlds aren't meant to be an accurate representation of the universe. They're just a visual representation which is completely different than simulating real life physics. We don't need accurate sub-atomic particle behavior but just a universe-sized world to explore and that's perfectly within reach. Still actual encounters have to be programmed, plots written and voice-cast, visual patterns set. You can't generate that so we're still stuck with just exploring 3d model world as there's no AI advanced enough to do anything about it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Honestly, seeing how "easy" it is for one man to create something like this, the idea that you would just procedurally generate things down to the subatomic level as needed, and not when not needed, it no longer seems outside the realm of possibility. Two or three centuries of procedural software development could probably create a universe much more detailed than our own (sub-sub-sub quark particles, etc)

You run up against hard, physical limits on how much you can compute using finite space and energy given our current understanding of the laws of physics. http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9908043

But on the positive end of things you have theories like Tipler's Omega Point and we're ultimately pretty ignorant about a lot of things so who knows!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Also the problem would be to save the state of (almost) every object. The persistence is the hard part. To prevent that you can make it hard to craft persistent objects, or limit the amount of persistent object each user can have, but then it makes the game unfun or 'unrealistic.'

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

This is pretty cool, and the perfect space wallpaper maker. Put on some ambient music like Brian Eno's Apollo album and have magical journey through space, at least until it crashes. :pcgaming:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

BastardySkull posted:

edit: like, they can't even properly simulate subatomic stuff accurately enough to truly predict that something does or doesn't exist. Even when they do physical tests they only say that something has a 'probability' of existing.

Just a note that this is not a simulation accuracy problem. This is how the universe really works at that scale, to the best of our current scientific understanding, although "existence" is not really a probabilistic value. Existence at a certain location, or with a certain energy, or spin, etc, etc are the probabilistic ones.

Knowing the initial state to "perfect accuracy" (whatever that might mean) does not change this. Even the simplest quantum mechanical examples, with few independent variables and a fixed initial state, exhibit this behavior.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Or our most informed guess based on what we can observe happening on that scale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

As far as quantum mechanics can tell, all particles fundamentally exist as a probability wave that describes the likelyhood of various characteristics resulting on further interactions with other elements.

We exploit that effect in our early quantum computing experiments. It demonstrably exists, it's not just a result of our limitations.

Classical computers can simulate this; quantum mechanics is Turing compatible, it'd just be really slow. And there's a random element to any interaction, so it'd never be the same twice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 11, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This thread has become really interesting out of nowhere and I approve; I've updated the OP with a link to the donation page for SpaceEngine and linked the HD No Man's Sky trailer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Furism posted:

Also the problem would be to save the state of (almost) every object. The persistence is the hard part. To prevent that you can make it hard to craft persistent objects, or limit the amount of persistent object each user can have, but then it makes the game unfun or 'unrealistic.'

You'd only need to save the persistence of generally perceivable objects for, in general 100 years at a very coarse level (recliner is in that corner of the room, and it's brown), probably 30 days in most cases (I thought I left my keys in this drawer? Where did that other sock go?). It's not like we regularly scan every square inch of the earth with an electron microscope and compare the results against eachother. You'd only need to simulate sub-sub-sub quarks for a tiny sliver of a fraction of a percent of the population who have the instruments to view them, etc.

It wouldn't shock me to see the same kind of improvements with this software in 200 years the same way Wolfenstein 3D looks compared to Battlefield 4. Programmers learn new ideas every day to trick the eye and brain in to simulating a believable world, even if it is mostly static.

TL;DR just because flipping a light switch makes the light come on doesn't mean that you need to simulate the electron flow at a subatomic level going through the wires or even the exact voltage through the bulb, etc.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 11, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hadlock posted:

In another 10 years or so, we'll finally hit the singularity where we can procedurally create a universe that's indistinguishable from reality

And given that the probability of such a simulation existing approaches 1 with the advancement of technology, so does the probability that we're already experiencing existence through such a simulation, perhaps even a simulation within a simulation, and so on. Universe 2k13. :2bong:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

And given that the probability of such a simulation existing approaches 1 with the advancement of technology, so does the probability that we're already experiencing existence through such a simulation, perhaps even a simulation within a simulation, and so on. Universe 2k13. :2bong:

GENESIS.TXT posted:

Insert Floppy Disk One out of Seven." The Lord said unto his cyber angels. And thusly Floppy Disk One out of Seven was inserted with a mighty clack of the divine drive head snapping into place.

"Let the installation of the Universe begin!" The Lord proclaimed unto his cyber angels. And verily, the holy code was copied from Floppy Disk One out of Seven, loading blessed light and shaders throughout the Universe.

Black holes are bad sectors. :eng101:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Geemer posted:

Black holes are bad sectors. :eng101:

Nah, they're just INT overflows.

Dark Matter is someone messing up the large-scale gravity approximation algorithm.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Nah, they're just INT overflows.

Funnily enough, superstring theory does describe a process that looks a bit like a variable overflow, as in that a very large string wrapping around a very small space will have the same effects on it as if the space would be huge (like ours) and the string very, very small.

That's just my pop-sci understanding from reading books like The Fabric of the Cosmos though, don't take my word for it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Name dropping Bostrom, because the dude is bad rear end.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Shab posted:

Name dropping Bostrom, because the dude is bad rear end.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

It's an interesting argument but I doubt it's possible even in principle to simulate General Relativity, though I specifically looked to see if anybody had anything to say about that and couldn't find anything. Basically, I imagine you'd have to either simulate a privileged reference frame, something General Relativity says can't exist, or you'd have to simulate arbitrarily large number of reference frames, which would mean simulating the entire universe for every observer and keeping things consistent between them. I'm hardly an expert on simulation or relativity though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Abyssal Squid posted:

It's an interesting argument but I doubt it's possible even in principle to simulate General Relativity,

http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

Before you ask about the prismatic effects, that's red shift happening

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu7jA8EHi_0

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 11, 2013

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Hadlock posted:

http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

Before you ask about the prismatic effects, that's red shift happening

That's really cool, but that's not exactly what I'm talking about. When you have one observer (the player) it's simple enough to make the player's reference frame privileged and apply relativity. It gets harder when you have multiple observers, and I doubt it's possible with an arbitrarily large number of observers. Then again, we've only had a few hundred or thousand reference frames detectably different from Earth's so far, so maybe when the universe is swarming with von Neumann machines or whatever the simulation starts to crap out?

Still, that game looks really cool and I'm gonna check it out.

Edit: it runs at 10 fps on my laptop, so I can't tell what's a relativistic effect and what's just poor performance. :(

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 11, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't really get what you're trying to say about reference frames. The fact that every perspective in a simulation would have to be rendered is not unique to simulations of general relativity. Just imagine if we had to simulate the world in terms of gallilean relativity. There are still no privileged frames of reference, but we still don't need to do any massively complex computations in order to make a simulation of the physics.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:siren:SpaceEngine 0.9.7.1 Released!:siren:

Download here

Partial Changelog:

quote:

Major updates:
3D water: animated water specular reflections, underwater fog
Improved procedural moon system generator
Debris rings around planets
New landforms: pseudo rivers, shield volcanoes
Music player with smooth mixing, context switching of soundtracks, repeat options and other capabilities
25 original soundtracks made by many authors
Smart blending of terrain detail textures
Detail noise textures on the planetary surface
New types of worlds with life, improved lifeform classifications
Many improvements with space ships
Built-in avi video recorder
Fast multi-threaded Star Browser: it uses all CPU cores to generate systems and does not reduce FPS
Added Czech, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Swedish and Turkish localizations
Installer for SpaceEngine distribution with automatic selection of localization
Full Changelog

I don't see Rift support though. :(

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
This new build is rock solid :aaa:
Even at LOD 2 and heavy time acceleration, it just wouldn't crash.

Also, yay spaceships?

(those panels/radiators are so bad)

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

seravid posted:

This new build is rock solid :aaa:
Even at LOD 2 and heavy time acceleration, it just wouldn't crash.

Also, yay spaceships?

(those panels/radiators are so bad)

I got a crash within about 10 minutes, new build is really cool otherwise though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I got a crash within about 10 minutes, new build is really cool otherwise though.

Ah, well that sucks. Were you doing anything in particular?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Well hot drat, I legit expected this guy wouldn't do a drat thing more with the program until and unless he hit his funding goal. It's a (very welcome and not at all unappreciated) Christmas miracle!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I can get this thing to crash ever 1-3 minutes

:pcgaming:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

seravid posted:

Ah, well that sucks. Were you doing anything in particular?

Actually now that I think about it I did fly a spaceship into a planet's surface at several thousand km/s, so can't really complain!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Wow, high-detail terrain loads much faster now. Found a cool double-planet, one terra and one desert, each with life, and it only took about 10 seconds for it to load all this on my three-year-old computer.

I think the actual planet creation algorithm might've been improved, too, because I've never gotten mountains and craters as clearly-defined as those before.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Black hole binary.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

240 km across, semi-major axis of 7650 km, orbital period of two and a half hours. :staredog:

Even on 1x speed, you could see it visibly moving with just a quick glance. It made me kind of uncomfortable.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This build is really drat stable and gorgeous, even the music is enjoyable.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

You can build your own ship!

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-1292-1

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Call my a cynic, but unless whatever ship you build is as maneuverable as the current massless camera that tops out at several orders of magnitude faster than the speed of light, this is kind of a useless feature. Even if the ship could reach c it would still render the game impossibly boring if that's all it could do. Even being able to seamlessly switch between massless camera and ship would be pretty pointless.

Allow the ship to move as fast and freely as we currently can, and let it land on planets so the player can exit it while wearing a space suit and walk around on planetary surfaces and I'll be all for it though.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

GreatGreen posted:

Call my a cynic, but unless whatever ship you build is as maneuverable as the current massless camera that tops out at several orders of magnitude faster than the speed of light, this is kind of a useless feature. Even if the ship could reach c it would still render the game impossibly boring if that's all it could do. Even being able to seamlessly switch between massless camera and ship would be pretty pointless.

Allow the ship to move as fast and freely as we currently can, and let it land on planets so the player can exit it while wearing a space suit and walk around on planetary surfaces and I'll be all for it though.

Yeah, I've never even considered the ships for anything more than screenshots.

Also, am I blind, or is there really no way to delete modules in that editor?

Edit: Apparently, yes. Ctrl+LMB.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
In the last version you could hold the middle mouse button and push your mouse forward and back to zoom in and out, but it doesn't do that any more. Any way to get that back? Because holding page up and page down is really slow and awkward in comparison.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You can still zoom by clicking mouse click and it'll zoom to a set distance, but I would assume if you set zoom in/out to the mouse wheel you'll get the same effect.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

In the last version you could hold the middle mouse button and push your mouse forward and back to zoom in and out, but it doesn't do that any more. Any way to get that back? Because holding page up and page down is really slow and awkward in comparison.

Hold shift and left-click drag to set a zoom point (the game calls it 'telescope') and then middle mouse click will swap between standard fov and your zoom point.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SpaceEngine is on Steam Greenlight, so vote for it!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Sire Oblivion posted:

Voted, and everyone else should too - getting more attention for this software can only be a good thing, perhaps someone in the right place will see it's potential and make something of it (beyond what just one guy can do on his own, I mean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

This could be is great news. Voted.

• Locked thread