Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zinjnok posted:

And on a more life friendly side of things, a multi-cellular terrestrial moon orbiting a mutli-cellular marine planet. Both are around 297 kelvin and and within one tenth of Earth's atmospheric pressure.

Imagine how big of a deal the moon landing would be if the moon was known to be inhabitable and life-friendly. Goddamn. There would probably be a lot more competition between countries attempting to do it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Zinjnok posted:

Here is my submission for Hell. 2997 kelvin.

I don't think that it'd be possible for that planet to exist if it's that close to the sun. The gravity of the sun would pull that planet inside.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

IAmTheRad posted:

I don't think that it'd be possible for that planet to exist if it's that close to the sun. The gravity of the sun would pull that planet inside.
How sure are you about that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that the answer to the statement is essentially 'yes, it would probably end up inside the sun, but that wouldn't necessarily be an issue.'

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

You mean this planet, that is not within spitting distance of its host star? The planet is on the right, of course. In-game it's known as KOI-55b

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

You mean this planet, that is not within spitting distance of its host star? The planet is on the right, of course. In-game it's known as KOI-55b

In the article it states that the star is coming down from being a red giant. So it probably was next to, and inside the star at one point.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
l Car B's orbit intersects l Car A. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

Also, the moons of HIP 40165 3 intersect.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dr. Stab posted:

l Car B's orbit intersects l Car A. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

Of course it can happen in real life. Going to be quite the spectacle.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Contact binary asteroids are a thing, so that moon isn't totally absurd as a captured object. Assuming it is one object.

Contact binary stars are also a thing.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Holy crap, last night I was farting around Saturn and accidentally put the camera super close to the ring system, only to discover the rings contain rivers of animated dust particles zipping along in orbit. The detail in this "game" continues to blow me away.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Land yourself in the northern hemisphere of the innermost moon looking toward saturn, its a great view.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This got greenlit already? Awesome, it's a coolio game. Will the steam release be free still?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Probably not, he's reached $15,000 which will allow him to develop the program full-time. I'm pretty sure he wants to make money off of this and Steam will be the perfect outlet for it. I don't see him charging much for it though.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

On the Greenlight page's FAQ they say that the planetarium mode will stay free, at least. And the game, whatever that's going to be, will be comparable to KSP or Minecraft in cost.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 10, 2014

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Frankly I wouldn't mind kicking him over a few cash. I've already gotten well over 10 dollars worth of entertainment from planetarium mode alone, and any game that helps people get interested in anything science or space related is worth at least that much in my book.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there any detail on what the game part might end up being?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Sylink posted:

Is there any detail on what the game part might end up being?

quote:

$80 000 - Single player space exploration game

Gameplay based on space flight simulation, space exploration, research and building
Realistic spaceflight physics with both hardcore fully manual controls and handy semi-automatic controls
Various spacecraft models
Build ships, space stations, and bases on planets
Collecting data about celestial objects using probes and satellites

Long-Term Goals

$120 000 - Online space exploration game

Module-based ships with a 3D constructor
Players can name planets that they have discovered
Server database for worlds discovered by players
A database search function for finding a planet by certain parameters

$150 000 - SpaceEngine SDK

SpaceEngine as a graphics library for third party companies
WYSIWYG editor for all types of objects

$250 000 - MMORPG Sandbox Game

Space combat system with realistic physics
Unlimited capabilities for players: research, building, trading, fighting
Colonizing and terraforming planets, building cities
Destruction of enemy ships, cities, and even entire planets

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Can you loving imagine that 250k goal? That would be insane.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

This game needs exposure on Steam, and Greenlight make that possible. The $80,000 goal would make the program, well, a game. Building an outpost on a Hell planet so that no sane person would go there. The MMORPG goal would be AMAZING. As the developer if it does ever hit the $250k goal, I'd make it so that the actual named things in real life cannot be destroyed. No destroying Earth.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The guy should just license it as an actual engine at this point and let other people do the game stuff.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Frankly I wouldn't mind kicking him over a few cash. I've already gotten well over 10 dollars worth of entertainment from planetarium mode alone, and any game that helps people get interested in anything science or space related is worth at least that much in my book.

This program is kickass and makes awesome photos but man there is a lot of stuff that would either be ultra rare or doesn't really follow the actual scientific thinking in this game.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Uncle Jam posted:

This program is kickass and makes awesome photos but man there is a lot of stuff that would either be ultra rare or doesn't really follow the actual scientific thinking in this game.

Still. To me the most exciting thing about the programme is its educational potential. It's the only thing I've ever experienced that actually gives you some idea of the scale of the Universe and everything in it. I reckon getting kids to experience this would be brilliant.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

He seems to want to turn it into a weird version of KSP but the game could lend itself to being something a bit more interesting than that. He's also been working on this for over half a decade or something crazy like that and hasn't really implemented anything that looks remotely like a game but has been talking about it for years. He should just stick to it being a cool simulator.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He should turn it into an awesome engine/planetarium that can be used as an API for other games, as mentioned in his 150k goal, and then build his weird KSP game as a different program using that system as the base.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Shab posted:

The guy should just license it as an actual engine at this point and let other people do the game stuff.
Yeah, any of those MMO stretch goal type things are gonna be impossible for this guy to churn out in his lifetime. It'd be like Star Citizen 2.0 with an even smaller dev team.

The game idea doesn't even really fit with the way the enjoyment of planetarium mode is set up. Gee, I can jet across the universe in 2 seconds or maybe instead I'll take my slow-rear end spaceship to a neighboring planet in 5 minutes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, any of those MMO stretch goal type things are gonna be impossible for this guy to churn out in his lifetime. It'd be like Star Citizen 2.0 with an even smaller dev team.

The game idea doesn't even really fit with the way the enjoyment of planetarium mode is set up. Gee, I can jet across the universe in 2 seconds or maybe instead I'll take my slow-rear end spaceship to a neighboring planet in 5 minutes.

I never understood those spaceship modes. I just want to click a random star or galaxy and look at the pretty pictures. He really should switch those 120K and 150K goals around.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I wouldn't use this as a scientific basic for education, since there's things that are probably impossible in reality, but the game does show a GREAT scale of the universe. Even the TV show Cosmos (the new one at least) shows a couple of things wrong, such as the asteroid belt. People will perhaps see it and think that the asteroid belt is filled with rocks everywhere, and you can't send anything through it without hitting something. In reality, the asteroid belt is, well, empty. Space Engine shows you exactly how empty it is. Jupiter's moons are closer together than there are asteroids in the asteroid belt.
The best thing about this is you could teach children about the vast scale of the entire universe, even with a few liberties the game takes for granted. The randomly generated systems and stars, and of course galaxies, could possibly exist in reality, but we have no way of finding that out for ourselves right now.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

IAmTheRad posted:

I wouldn't use this as a scientific basic for education, since there's things that are probably impossible in reality, but the game does show a GREAT scale of the universe. Even the TV show Cosmos (the new one at least) shows a couple of things wrong, such as the asteroid belt. People will perhaps see it and think that the asteroid belt is filled with rocks everywhere, and you can't send anything through it without hitting something. In reality, the asteroid belt is, well, empty. Space Engine shows you exactly how empty it is. Jupiter's moons are closer together than there are asteroids in the asteroid belt.
The best thing about this is you could teach children about the vast scale of the entire universe, even with a few liberties the game takes for granted. The randomly generated systems and stars, and of course galaxies, could possibly exist in reality, but we have no way of finding that out for ourselves right now.

Douglas Adams posted:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Perspective really is the most useful part of SE. Being told that space is big is one thing, being able to zoom in on a speck of light near a galaxy only to find that it's a globular cluster containing thousands of stars, see first hand just how slow the speed of light is, even within a single solar system, and feel disoriented and a little queasy when I change which object I'm following close enough to another object to see it suddenly start moving, has done a lot more to help me grasp the incredible scale of it all than all the descriptions and raw numbers I've ever read have.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

You can still see beautiful things like this in the game.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So after playing around with this I've realized that even with a warp factor of 9 it would still take the starship enterprise a loving long time to travel from earth to the closest star. At least a day.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

So after playing around with this I've realized that even with a warp factor of 9 it would still take the starship enterprise a loving long time to travel from earth to the closest star. At least a day.
With 24th century warp factor where warp 10 was infinite warp, warp 9 to reach Alpha Centauri would take 25.03 hours from Earth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If I remember correctly, someone calculated that if stars actually were flying by as fast as they do in the show, then the enterprise could cross the galaxy in an hour.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I currently have 16 gigs of DDR3 1600MHz cl9 RAM, 2 GeForce GTX Lightning 680's (2GB each running in SLI mode) and a Core i7 3770K (3.5GHz).

I did not know this program existed until just now. I also have today off of work.

I know what i'm going to be doing today. Holy poo poo.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I guess it would look a bit like that, wouldn't it? Amazing.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
I love Space Engine to bits, but I worry that the single developer model is going to be prone to problems of overoptimistic plans and unyielding adherence to a single peculiar vision. What he's done so far is mind-boggling, but the game mode is where the rubber hits the road for commercial success, and will be a lot less forgiving in terms of customer response when people are paying out of pocket for an actual product.

vvvv - Actually, yeah. Point taken. DayZ it is.

Disconnecticus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 18, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Disconnecticus posted:

I love Space Engine to bits, but I worry that the single developer model is going to be prone to problems of overoptimistic plans and unyielding adherence to a single peculiar vision. What he's done so far is mind-boggling, but the game mode is where the rubber hits the road for commercial success, and will be a lot less forgiving in terms of customer response when people are paying out of pocket for an actual product.
Nah, just make it Early Access and develop forever like all the other devs :v:.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'd pay $20 easy for what Space Engine is right now and everything else is just icing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tinkered with this all day; got some halfway decent screencaps thus far, I think.

Nighttime side of a gas giant in a triple star system:

Sitting atop a mountain on a desert moon, looking at a star whose gravity causes hundreds of scorched asteroids to orbit it:

Watching a gas giant rotate while perched on an irregular asteroid ice moon:

Blue hypergiant sunrise on a desolate ice planet:

The Triangulum Galaxy off in the distance as seen from some random planetoid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Snowflake planet?

Also, I saw some of you guys with very high rez pictures. What did I miss, can I somehow crank this beast up even more?

e:
Now I know where all those space wallpapers come from.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 19, 2014

• Locked thread