Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I keep seeing a lot of enticing mace weapons, it makes me want to try a dual wielding mace Fighter or maybe Lord? next time. Just, club everything into unconsciousness and then smash their faces in. Right now my Fighter is Sword+Shield, which isn't that interesting, but it's so far been highly effective.

Is there anywhere I can find a Light Crossbow? I want to upgrade the one my Fighter's using. Granted he doesn't get to shoot it very much because of his currently low speed, but still I like making things :) I checked just now at the vendors in Arnika and none of them have it, although the lady at the wharf sells items that look like they're around the right level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why Anything
Apr 15, 2006
Because everything. Obviously.
In terms of a first time wizardry run would the following party provide a fun time?

Ninja
Valkyrie
Bard
Gadgeteer
Ranger
Bishop

Swap the ranger out for something like a samurai or another bishop?

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Why Anything posted:

In terms of a first time wizardry run would the following party provide a fun time?

Ninja
Valkyrie
Bard
Gadgeteer
Ranger
Bishop

That'll work out just fine. You'll feel squishy in the start of the game though because your big hitters tend to hit their stride in the late-mid game. If you were to dump anyone though I'd consider dropping the Valk for a Fighter, but it's totally doable as written.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
My last Wizardry 8 party (which won):
- Rawulf Lord (M) (double wielding maces, backup Divine magic)
- Felpurr Samurai (M) (swords, and ditto with Magical Magic)
- Faerie Ninja (F) (THE weapon, plus alchemy)
- Mook Monk (M) (using staffs, if I recall right, plus Psionics)
- Human Ranger (M) (ranged combat is way more useful in Wizardry 8 than in previous games)
- Elf Bishop (F) (pain to develop, but a powerhouse caster later on)
- NPCs of choice: Valkyrie, Monk (hands & feet)

However, I wouldn't recommend it for new players. Also, it does not have a bard or a gadgeteer. It was imported from Wizardry 7, with ALL kinds of class-changing shenanigans there. The NPCs are chosen more for their willingness to go with you to most places, and because I like them, more than anything else. As for formation, they went:

- Front: no one!
- Center: Samurai, Lord and Monk (hands and feet)
- Flanks: Ranger, Ninja, Valkyrie and Monk (staffs)
- Back: Bishop.

This gives you very good offensive, and allows to use your elite classes to the full, at the cost of defense and the need to move more in combat.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Edit: WHOOPS I'M DUMB turns out you get one spell pick per level and I've been using my third one each time.

So what's with these NPC characters? I keep hearing people talking about which ones they bring along etc but so far none of them have been as charming as my main party, and I really don't need more dudes to have to outfit, especially if they are just going to up and leave on me like some people say they do. Can I just have them tag along and not worry about equipping them or do I have to give the sword of expensiveness to joe blow nobody here.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 26, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I too would like some info on a party to take through Wizardry 7 and then 8. Something low-maintenance, preferably without tons of class switching, since I've really never played these games for more than a couple hours before (I played 8 enough back in the day to get out of the monastery and onto the roads, where I immediately got my rear end handed to me).

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Why Anything posted:

Ninja
Valkyrie
Bard
Gadgeteer
Ranger
Bishop

If this is Wiz8 I'd agree having a fighter or samurai would be a great addition to your party but the obvious one to drop is the ranger. Fighters will be doing more damage and tanking better and the only thing you lose is Scout (no loss, just raise your gadge's Senses and turn on Search Mode) and alchemy but you have two other possible alchemy casters. Valkyries have the best secondary spellbook, have great hp and armor, wield polearms so they are versatile in where you want to put them in your formation, and have the best special ability in the game, Cheat Death. They won't do as much damage as a fighter but they'll do more than a ranger.

Also, with both a bard and a gadgeteer you could turn your bishop into a powerhouse single-book caster. Mage would be the most useful I think but also the most dangerous as mages don't get heals. Priest would be the safest but are also godawful boring. Alchemists are the middle road. If you do this, make sure to start your valk as a priest and then multiclass her to a valk at level two - she'll be your main healer for a while and it won't be terribly easy. Bishops are fun, though, on your first playthrough because you get to see more spells. Just realize if you want to level all four spellbooks you are in for hours and hours of grind. Better to pick two or three.

Tyskil posted:

So like how do spell picks work? I remember reading about the bishop and needing to "save" your spell picks for higher levels to get the good poo poo, and I figured I'd just do that on my mage and priest to get even more good poo poo and because half of the spells they have available to learn are poo poo I'm probably not going to use.

The thing is every time they level up they have 2 spell picks, and if I don't pick anything the game says it saves my spell pick but on the next level I can't use them to actually buy spells, it still only lets me choose 2 spells to take. Am I missing something here or do mage/priests not do that spell pick thing and I've horribly hosed myself?

Yeah, in Wiz8 you should save your spell picks for the higher level stuff, but it should tell you how many you've saved up. In Wiz7 I don't know.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I too would like some info on a party to take through Wizardry 7 and then 8. Something low-maintenance, preferably without tons of class switching, since I've really never played these games for more than a couple hours before (I played 8 enough back in the day to get out of the monastery and onto the roads, where I immediately got my rear end handed to me).

Bards are the only way I got out of the starting forest in Wiz7. They also learn wizardry spells in Wiz7 (but not Wiz8) at level 5. Bishops are great in both, not the least for artifacts and remove curse. In 7 they learn wizardry and divinity, but in 8 they can learn all schools. Again, I recommend just picking two for substantially increased ease of use and appropriate power curve. I think lords and valkyries are weak in 7 but valkyries are great in 8. Fighters are great in both, rogues might be too. Ninjas are the most frustrating hybrid, monks are the least (in that they need literally no equipment and you'll just use their spells to heal and identify items) and samurai are the most fun but have like a total of 12 different pieces of equipment across both games.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 26, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

Hey so I found a giant hunk of silver in a mine, and it's super heavy. Obviously I don't want to carry it around, so I'll dump it in Arnika or at Crocks or something. Is it good for anything? I briefly looked at a FAQ for mention of it but there wasn't anything.

Dont sell it you can make an item with it way later

Crimson Harvest posted:

I keep seeing a lot of enticing mace weapons, it makes me want to try a dual wielding mace Fighter or maybe Lord? next time. Just, club everything into unconsciousness and then smash their faces in. Right now my Fighter is Sword+Shield, which isn't that interesting, but it's so far been highly effective.

Dual weilding maces isnt bad actually, there is a fantastic mace off hand weapon which is also one of the best off hand weapons in the game.

Tyskil posted:

So what's with these NPC characters? I keep hearing people talking about which ones they bring along etc but so far none of them have been as charming as my main party, and I really don't need more dudes to have to outfit, especially if they are just going to up and leave on me like some people say they do. Can I just have them tag along and not worry about equipping them or do I have to give the sword of expensiveness to joe blow nobody here.

They are npcs which can join you they then act like your characters for all intenets and purposes, usually people take them if they are having difficulty and need some help with fighter, there party makeup struggles in the early game and they need some help, or they just want to round out their abilities or see what the npc class can do.

They wont just up and leave you (with one exception the mage RPC) there are areas they refuse to enter but you can force them to go into them, you can dismiss tem and they mostly all go back to where they were recruited the exceptions are the Monk who stay where you dismiss him, the Samurai who goes to martins bluff, and the mage who disappears forever. If you dont feel you need them donttake them its fine, I will say that te Monk valk and gadgeteer NPC are all both very good and go almost everywhere in the game.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I was completely unimpressed by my dracon fighter when I played this game years ago. My favorite class turned out to be the monk, because you could develop those guys in two ways. One way is the raw damage kind, and another is the instakill kind. I had two monks, the NPC robot monk for raw damage, and my monk for insta kills. In the second half of the game they were just wrecking poo poo.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

With Wizardry 7 if you don't do tons of class switching you're making things infinitely harder on yourself. When you change classes in 7 you get dropped to the minimum stats needed for the class you're switching into, you go back to level 1, and you lose all your EXP, but you retain all the HP, MP, spells, and skills of your previous class(es).

Why this is important is that in when you hit levels in your mid-late teens or so, you see massive diminishing returns on gains from experience. You can either keep soldiering on, or you can change classes and gain 10 new levels (and all the HP, MP, and skill gains those entail) in the span it would have taken you to gain one in your old class. Characters that make frequent class changes in Wizardry 7 will have vastly more HP, MP, and skills than one that sticks to one class and never changes. The only major downside to constantly switching classes is that it can keep your stats relatively low if you keep changing into "basic" classes instead of "elite" classes. The mid-to-endgame will be really, really hard for a party of characters that picked one class and stuck to it.

That said, for a starting party in Wizardry 7 starting equipment is far more important than class choice because in the long-term nobody is going to stay in any one class for long. Ninja, Samurai, and Bard are the go-to choices, as their equipment is all extremely rare, especially Ninja armor. And I think starting with a Bard is the only way to get a Poet's Lute.

Then, when you're ready to transfer your characters to Wizardry 8, just change all your characters into the classes you want to use in that game before your end-game save. Sucks that you can't make a Gadgeteer (since they don't exist in 7) that way, though. You can immediately change into one at the beginning of 8, but you won't have an Omnigun which is one of the major high points of having a Gadgeteer.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 26, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

Then, when you're ready to transfer your characters to Wizardry 8, just change all your characters into the classes you want to use in that game before your end-game save. Sucks that you can't make a Gadgeteer (since they don't exist in 7) that way, though. You can immediately change into one at the beginning of 8, but you won't have an Omnigun which is one of the major high points of having a Gadgeteer.

Yes you will have an omnigun, if you dont start as a gadgeteer and then switch your class to one, on their first level they get a message essentially saying they created an omnigun with spare parts and an omnigun MK1 will appear in your inventory.

Even if that wasnt the case you can pickpocket a spare omnigun off of the RPC gadgeteer

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm starting with Wizardry 6, and here's my party:

Female Dwarf Valkyrie
Male Felpurr Samurai
Male Hobbit Bard
Male Dracon Ninja
Male Fairy Mage
Female Fairy Priest

My biggest issue initially is that I can't seem to pick ANY of the doors. I put my (6) extra skill points into Skullduggery, but it's not quite enough for the bard. I'd really like NOT to start with a thief, since having a bard instead nets you a musical instrument right off the bat.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Combat hasn't been an issue so far.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Uh poo poo, my monk suddenly stopped attacking twice bare handed. He was wrecking poo poo before but now he only attacks once, even if there is an enemy still in melee range. Is that a known bug or am I missing something here? He used to treat being unarmed as if he was dual wielding his fists and now he doesn't, which is pretty distressing since it's cut his damage in half.

Edit: I checked the 4th screen of his stats and it says he's supposed to be getting two hits with his left hand and 1 hit with his right. Is those numbers being different confusing the game and causing it to just use the one attack? If so is there any way to fix it aside from taking a gimped monk through to the next level? I'd rather not start completely over again, to be honest.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 26, 2013

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

If anyone is curious to try any of the Japan-only Windows Wizardries, Surugaya-a-too on Rakuten is selling Wizardry Empire II Plus right now. It's one of the only Windows Wizardries that will work on a modern OS, though you'll want to run it in compatibility mode just to be safe. English mode is VERY limited though (item, spell, and monster names, that's about it--everything else like messages and menus are all in Japanese) so just a warning.

The price is a little steep but Surugaya-a-too is one of the best sellers on Rakuten and a goon favorite.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
I notice there's a character portrait importer for Wizardry 8, but are there any portrait packs that I can just download and choose from?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Started a Wiz 8 party with a Monk, Ninja, Bard, Gadgeteer, Priest, Mage. Seemed weak for the first few fights but now I'm kinda cruising. I think I remember why I thought the combat in this game was so slow, I wasn't using the hotkeys enough (and I didn't realize that everyone auto-attacks without be having to input anything). Also can spells backfire? Before I gained a level my Mage seemingly instagibbed herself with an energy blast. The animation looked like it just came outta the wall and nailed her so I was pretty confused at first.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yes, spells can backfire if you try to put too much force into them above your skill level. IIRC there's a bit of a color indicator on the spell strength selection thing that indicates how likely the spell is to fail or backfire.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zurai posted:

Yes, spells can backfire if you try to put too much force into them above your skill level. IIRC there's a bit of a color indicator on the spell strength selection thing that indicates how likely the spell is to fail or backfire.

A little more information--a spell won't generally backfire until you get into the orange or red. If it's yellow-orange there's a good chance of failure though.

Also, you should try to never cast spells at green strength. Your best chance of getting skill gains from casting spells comes from casting at slightly risky levels. Casting spells at green they'll never fail, but you also won't get much improvement either. I've found it's best to stick to yellow strength for the most part as a balance for success/skill gain potential, and into the orange if it isn't too important whether the spell succeeds or not. Red is usually too risky, but you'll get great skill gains if you do manage to pull it off.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Protip for anyone struggling in this game:

Y'know Croc, that merchant in the swamp? He sometimes sells Mana Stones.

Mana Stones have > 1 use, and regenerate mana points. They're also cheap as hell.

If you sell a mana stone to a merchant and then buy it right back, you'll lose a negligible amount of gold in the transaction, but it fully recharges the stone.

Thus:
1.) As soon as you find a mana stone (you can sometimes find them before you reach Croc, and very rarely he won't sell 'em), buy it.
2.) Give it to anyone on your team that can cast Knock Knock
3.) Using hotkeys, repeatedly cast Knock Knock on the 8 tumbler door in the Arnika bank. You will never accidentally unlock it, and you can get like 3 casts per second with hotkeys.
4.) When necessary, restore mana via stone. It'll be less necessary as you grind up the skill since you'll get more spell points in the earth school.
5.) When necessary--i.e., when all your stones are down to 1 charge--sell your stone to the priest in the Arnika temple. Then buy it back.
6.) Repeat steps 2-5 until everyone on your team has like 80ish earth skill and 80ish of whatever their primary spellcasting ability is.

Basically, if you can get to the swap and survive, the game gets much easier. The swamp offers mana stones, Rousing Drums, and access to the earliest Marten's Bluff quests which are very easy and award tons of xp.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've done a full Wizardry 6-8 single party playthrough, so this is more a question of curiosity for the veterans. Is there any way for bards not to be bloody useless in the endgame of Wizardry 8? I eventually gave up and cross-classed her to gadgeteer, but it was too late for her to develop any real utility beyond weak buffing/debuffing.

That said, despite being the underdog of my party in every single game, she got the final blow on the Wiz 8 final boss :v:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I've done a full Wizardry 6-8 single party playthrough, so this is more a question of curiosity for the veterans. Is there any way for bards not to be bloody useless in the endgame of Wizardry 8? I eventually gave up and cross-classed her to gadgeteer, but it was too late for her to develop any real utility beyond weak buffing/debuffing.

That said, despite being the underdog of my party in every single game, she got the final blow on the Wiz 8 final boss :v:

Change her to a Ranger. Or play on a lower difficulty level. :v:

Bards mostly lose their utility at the endgame because they're a one-trick pony--they can use instruments, and that's it. Since her offensive musical abilities are largely limited to debuffs, and debuffs largely don't work in the endgame unless you're playing on a low difficulty level, she loses her charm. Rangers will at least allow her some offensive capability, and since she's probably spent all game plinking at people with arrows she'll have a better chance with ranged criticals.

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

Chinook posted:

I'm starting with Wizardry 6, and here's my party:

Female Dwarf Valkyrie
Male Felpurr Samurai
Male Hobbit Bard
Male Dracon Ninja
Male Fairy Mage
Female Fairy Priest

My biggest issue initially is that I can't seem to pick ANY of the doors. I put my (6) extra skill points into Skullduggery, but it's not quite enough for the bard. I'd really like NOT to start with a thief, since having a bard instead nets you a musical instrument right off the bat.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Combat hasn't been an issue so far.

Good for you man, not enough love for Wizardry 6 in this thread so far. I think your party looks ok, just remember you definitely want to take advantage of the class changing when you can, it will make your people super powerful by the end of the game. I remember in my playthroughs a long time ago, I got around not having a thief by having a max strength character just bash his way through locks, so maybe you can try that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Just a question about the GoG version of Wizardry 8. Will it run on Windows 7 without a ton of configuring? I've never bought anything like this from GoG before, and I know when I tried to run my old copy of Wizardry 8 on it, I had a hell of a time even getting it to operate. It's been so long that I'd like to play it again, though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It runs fine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Prism posted:

Just a question about the GoG version of Wizardry 8. Will it run on Windows 7 without a ton of configuring? I've never bought anything like this from GoG before, and I know when I tried to run my old copy of Wizardry 8 on it, I had a hell of a time even getting it to operate. It's been so long that I'd like to play it again, though.

GOG's entire thing is that their games are set up to run perfectly 'out of the box' no matter how old they are. Exceptions are very rare. You should be good.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

That said, if for some reason it doesn't run when you get it installed, there are 2 main things to try.

Run the game from an eleveated command prompt instead of the shortcut or executable in explorer

and

Install the game in C:\Wiz8

The second is the on that made my game finally work. I had been messing with it on a different drive and it wouldn't even run.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MartianAgitator posted:

Bishops are amazing but their skill grind is rough. The trick is to pick only two spellbooks and level them up exclusively.

Lastly, don't be afraid to grab a fighter or thief. Even though hybrids are more versatile, the base melee classes are easily their match. They have simpler stat needs and level up amazingly quickly. That means their power skyrockets early. They'll have higher skills, higher hit points and unlock those sweet expert skills very early. Here's the most important part: if you have your bases covered (like having a valk+wiz/alch bishop+bard/gadgeteer to pick locks) then they will be amazingly relevant the whole game. Fighters will bash like crazy, knocking things out and draining stamina from difficult enemies and rogues will basically be amazingly powerful point-blank AOEs every turn. Max Strength, Dex and Dual Wield for both of them.

God, I love this game.

I agree with all of this. At the end of the day, you can only do one thing at a time in combat. Unless you want to grind yourself brainless, have your characters pick one role and have them do it well. As such, I am a little biased towards the pure classes, rather than the hybrids. Last time I played wizardry 8, my party was

(middle line)
Two Fighters. Both duel wielding swords and maces. Ivory blade and Fang are good main weapons, and you can get two diamond eyes maces (one for each). Can grind light swords for total overkill if you want them. Keep berserk on and watch the choppy.

Rogue: Duel wielding bloodlust and a thieves dagger. Once you can hit reliably, the combination of bloodlust's berserk, plus rogue's backstab, will make this guy supreme chop-your-face-off lord. Needs a lot of skills for chopping, so leave the noncombat stuff to the gadgeteer. This guy was the MVP of my game, pushing out huge damage with berserk backstabs. Don't listen to that faq that says bloodlust doesn't work with backstab. It lies.

(rear)
Two Bishops. Each takes two spellbooks. Requires a little grinding, but nothing nearly as much as a four book bishop. This is our spellcasting power. They paralyze it, and our front line chops it to pieces.

Gadgeteer - Starts off sucky, but gets good later. Has more room to handle skill than our rogue, so he does things like locks and traps. Useful gadgets.

Put the valk NPC in one wing with a polearm, and the monk NPC in the other wing with a staff. Gives them the range they'll need to hit from the wings. Front line is empty, as the wings plus the middle essentially gives you one giant front line. I guarantee that such a party will chop the game up once it gets going. You have massive melee power, two versatile spellcasters, and a gadgeteer for misc stuff.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 27, 2013

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

DoktorVerderben posted:

Good for you man, not enough love for Wizardry 6 in this thread so far. I think your party looks ok, just remember you definitely want to take advantage of the class changing when you can, it will make your people super powerful by the end of the game. I remember in my playthroughs a long time ago, I got around not having a thief by having a max strength character just bash his way through locks, so maybe you can try that.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up figuring out that (despite what many guides are telling me) the skullduggery skill does increase with each failure attempt, or at least that it can. I was able to gain enough points just by failing (and then opening with a "knock knock" spell from my mage) to get my skill up. Now I think I'm in the clear as far as that goes.

Now I'm just swinging around like a monkey in the belfry, killing bats and grinding away. The lack of automap is the toughest thing, for sure.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Chinook posted:

Thanks for the advice. I ended up figuring out that (despite what many guides are telling me) the skullduggery skill does increase with each failure attempt, or at least that it can. I was able to gain enough points just by failing (and then opening with a "knock knock" spell from my mage) to get my skill up. Now I think I'm in the clear as far as that goes.

Now I'm just swinging around like a monkey in the belfry, killing bats and grinding away. The lack of automap is the toughest thing, for sure.

Also, this is really really unintuitive in Wizardry 6, but some doors can't be picked, even though you can try. Also I'm pretty sure there are some locked doors that flat out can't be opened. It was something really frustrating for me too when I first played it.

Also with Wizardry 6, don't feel bad using Cosmic Forge to poke around and see how the game works. It's like an FAQ but better, and you can keep from spoiling yourself by accident by not probing too deep into things. It really helps with that particular game, because a lot of it is old-school obtuse. (I don't think anyone will be able to get the Diamond Ring without a guide, for example)

You've got a solid party too, though multiple Faeries may be tricky eventually, as they'll be much less effective when you swing them into the fighter classes due to lack of equipment. Make one of them a Ninja for Wizardry 7 and you're golden though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

Stuff about Wiz 6

Wizardry 8 and 7 to a lesser extent seem to be getting all the press, but since Genpei said the above I am going to use this as a chance to ask a question I do about every diverse, party-based RPG I come across. I posted this in the general GOG thread before this one opened, but I hope that it will not go amiss if I ask it here.

With the idea of moving into Wiz 7 and then 8 in the VERY long term, what would be a good party for Wizardry 6 that is not necessarily the most powerful, but the most versatile? I do not want to be totally gimped but, on the other end of the spectrum, I do not care about min-maxing. I am also not the sort to play through games, especially tremendously long ones, multiple times, and I want to experience all that at least Wiz6 can offer in one long playthrough that will probably span months. Basically, I want to be able to have as many abilities, spells, buttons to push and so on as I can in one go. I am not averse to grinding, but I am to starting over because I unknowingly hosed myself. Also, I tend to disdain pure melee classes when they are the sort that do nothing but hit things and have no actual abilities other than "Attack" - Wizardry 6 may well be different in this regard.

As an example, I have put a good amount of time into Might & Magic III and my base 6 party, with no hirelings, was Paladin/Archer/Ranger/Ninja/Cleric/Sorcerer. That way, I had two wizardry casters, two priestly casters, and a Ranger for the few druid/ranger only spells with no pure melee apart from the Ninja who I had because A) I needed a rogue-type to pick locks and such B) Knights/Barbarians do nothing but hit things C) Druids are rubbish and C) Ninjas are, well, Ninjas!

Basically I am looking for the Wizardry 6 version of that - the Swiss Army Knife of adventuring parties.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Genpei Turtle posted:

Also, this is really really unintuitive in Wizardry 6, but some doors can't be picked, even though you can try. Also I'm pretty sure there are some locked doors that flat out can't be opened. It was something really frustrating for me too when I first played it.

Also with Wizardry 6, don't feel bad using Cosmic Forge to poke around and see how the game works. It's like an FAQ but better, and you can keep from spoiling yourself by accident by not probing too deep into things. It really helps with that particular game, because a lot of it is old-school obtuse. (I don't think anyone will be able to get the Diamond Ring without a guide, for example)

You've got a solid party too, though multiple Faeries may be tricky eventually, as they'll be much less effective when you swing them into the fighter classes due to lack of equipment. Make one of them a Ninja for Wizardry 7 and you're golden though.

Thanks for the advice. I feel like my party is filling all the roles pretty well, at this point, and question when I should actually switch out classes. Ideally I'm going to stagger them so I can 'screen' my level-ups individually, but it seems like re-classing is sort of a bummer: your stats plummet and you only go up 1 HP per level. I see the potential for filling out each skill tree for each character, but I still wonder why that is important. (I suppose it's for things like "having the ability to hide for each character", "having Kirijutsu on a Valkyrie", as well as versatility.)

Do skills which are unique to other classes, or typically part of another class's core set, still increase when you use them? For instance, if I change my bard out to an alchemist or something, when I use his Skullduggery skill to pick locks, will that skill increase still?

Thanks again.

Starshadow
May 27, 2013
Really interested in trying Wizardry but is there any point of say going through Wizardry 7? or should i start with 8? I've read about carry over benefits from 7 to 8 however its entirely possible I've just made that up.

Also it is possible it just have a party full of faerie ninja..?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Starshadow posted:

Really interested in trying Wizardry but is there any point of say going through Wizardry 7? or should i start with 8? I've read about carry over benefits from 7 to 8 however its entirely possible I've just made that up.

Also it is possible it just have a party full of faerie ninja..?

1.) I wouldn't. It's not a very newbie-friendly intro to the series and I have no idea how you'd even approach beating the game without using the on-disc strategy guide. Even then, it'll take you months, and with tons of reloads because there are just waaaaaaaay too many bullshit fights in that game.

I love Wiz7, but it is a poorly-balanced game.

There are some benefits of importing a party, but the only one that matters is only available for parties whose import process started in Wiz6. I'd play 8 first and if you like the world and basic mechanics, try 7.

2.) Yes, it's possible--you can beat the game with any class/race combo. I wouldn't recommend it, though. 1 faerie ninja's good because s/he can use the Cane of Corpus. There really isn't any other worthwhile gear for a faerie. Maybe some of the high-level staves are equippable by faeries, but it's not worthwhile.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Chinook posted:

Do skills which are unique to other classes, or typically part of another class's core set, still increase when you use them? For instance, if I change my bard out to an alchemist or something, when I use his Skullduggery skill to pick locks, will that skill increase still?
Skullduggery will only increase, from usage, if the class natively has the skill. So your Alchemist can pick all the locks and disarm all the traps, it won't go up a single point. You can still put points into it during level up though.

I think that's the only skill that behaves in that manner. I know for a fact that any class can train Ninjitsu up, just by hiding whenever they can in combat.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Genpei Turtle posted:

If anyone is curious to try any of the Japan-only Windows Wizardries, Surugaya-a-too on Rakuten is selling Wizardry Empire II Plus right now. It's one of the only Windows Wizardries that will work on a modern OS, though you'll want to run it in compatibility mode just to be safe. English mode is VERY limited though (item, spell, and monster names, that's about it--everything else like messages and menus are all in Japanese) so just a warning.

The price is a little steep but Surugaya-a-too is one of the best sellers on Rakuten and a goon favorite.

I'm pooling together some money with friends to get this, can you tell me a little about the game? I've played Wizardry Dimguil and Wizardry IV Gaiden: Throb of the Demon's Heart before and both of those games had the class and race systems of 6-8 and the dungeon crawling of 1-5. Is this similar? Is there anything that makes this stand out from those games or are they pretty similar? Any compatibility issues like not accepting Western key inputs?

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 27, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Any reliable way to unblock the traffic jam in Trynton before the Rat Tree? It's always loving clogged with Trinnies and I can never get past.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Tyskil posted:

Uh poo poo, my monk suddenly stopped attacking twice bare handed. He was wrecking poo poo before but now he only attacks once, even if there is an enemy still in melee range. Is that a known bug or am I missing something here? He used to treat being unarmed as if he was dual wielding his fists and now he doesn't, which is pretty distressing since it's cut his damage in half.

Edit: I checked the 4th screen of his stats and it says he's supposed to be getting two hits with his left hand and 1 hit with his right. Is those numbers being different confusing the game and causing it to just use the one attack? If so is there any way to fix it aside from taking a gimped monk through to the next level? I'd rather not start completely over again, to be honest.

Try checking your encumbrance. Loot in 'party items' is usually split between party members, and if it gets too heavy it can drastically affect combat performance. You could try loading the heavy plate armor you found onto people who you don't care about being encumbered, or have larger weight tolerances. I think the numbers should go from white->blue->yellow->red depending on how overburdened you are.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

nftyw posted:

Try checking your encumbrance. Loot in 'party items' is usually split between party members, and if it gets too heavy it can drastically affect combat performance. You could try loading the heavy plate armor you found onto people who you don't care about being encumbered, or have larger weight tolerances. I think the numbers should go from white->blue->yellow->red depending on how overburdened you are.

Edit: No wait ignore what this post said before I'm dumb, I just did it again and he actually gets all three attacks in one round but they are spread out and not consecutive like they used to be/every other dual wielding character's attacks I've seen are.

Since he's my fastest character he goes first and punches, then literally everyone else goes, and he does the two individual kicks. Is it supposed to take him so long to kick people? My fighter is slow as glued down rock and when he gets two attacks in one round he just goes once and the combat log says "hit 2X!"

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 27, 2013

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Tyskil posted:

Edit: No wait ignore what this post said before I'm dumb, I just did it again and he actually gets all three attacks in one round but they are spread out and not consecutive like they used to be/every other dual wielding character's attacks I've seen are.

Since he's my fastest character he goes first and punches, then literally everyone else goes, and he does the two individual kicks. Is it supposed to take him so long to kick people? My fighter is slow as glued down rock and when he gets two attacks in one round he just goes once and the combat log says "hit 2X!"

Those are two different things. You can gain extra attacks and extra swings per attack. Check the tooltips on Close Combat, Dex, Spd, and weapon skills to see what they give you, swings or attacks. Your multiple attacks will come at different times in the round usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

My Gadgeteer just added another shot per round on her Omnigun.

I'm going to need more rocks.

• Locked thread