Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't know how I missed the lightning rod but holy crap does that change things. I loaded an old save with my crappy party from before they left the monastery, grabbed the lightning rod and am 10 times better off. I will probably just stick it through with my late bloomers now that my gadgeteer can actually hurt things instead of doing 0-5 damage with omni gun rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Wow, I finally made it to Arnika where I immediately get engaged by 6 androids that just decimate my party. I tried training them into the temple and the npc will kill one or two but then my party wipes. What am I doing wrong? I am level 5 for my party.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Souai posted:

Speaking of Busin 0, I'm getting a bit concerned with how slow my characters are relative to the opponents moving into B4. Does the spell range extender work like spell assist in TOFL where it takes the highest character speed in the AA or does it assume the caster's speed? right now my back row is pretty similar in speed but I don't have a thief in the party yet. I kept holding out for a Rui like NPC or something that hasn't shown up yet. I'm getting reduced to a lot of front guarding with range extended spell backup or spell cancel/spell as I try to move around a bit in B4.

I'm not missing a general wares vender right? You basically have to find everything to equip? The only real shops I've found so far were the unmanned one in B1 and the in dungeon Vigor shop I just opened that sells some expensive consumables and class change bits.

My current party is: (6/9 Affinity, Friend level)
Viela Story NPC - 9 Knight
Aris Story NPC - 9 Monk
Iris Prebuilt Good Fighter - 8 Samurai
Erika Story NPC - 9 Priest
Main Character - 8 Bishop
Konde Story NPC - 9 Mage

If the spell range extender acts on highest speed I'll probably look into replacing Erika with a thief or something, though the delay on spell charges for bishop is a bit rough. Konde other than being a mage has been pretty underwhelming as well, slow speed and party loyalty drops on miss/getting hit. Fighters seemed to get some crazy hit point gains, I'm kind of wondering if I'd have a better party if I had just used full PC FIG/FIG/FIG/MAG/THI/PRI with 20 bonus points at the start of the game, hah.

Your main problem is that your levels are very low for where you are. You're probably advancing a little too quickly--in Busin 0 you're meant to explore the dungeon in little pieces, as there are tons of events that won't happen until you go back to town. As a point of reference, your characters are only about one level higher than I was in my last playthrough when I beat Skedim at the end of level 2. You shouldn't be poking about in LV4 until at least your teens I'd say. Check the monster compendium to see the levels of the things you're fighting--if you're way lower than them you're usually out of your depth. Once you get to a level roughly on par with what you're facing you won't be dealing with any speed deficiencies.

One thing that's really important about Busin 0 is hidden talents. You won't get them until later usually (you get them at random during level ups, with a greater chance the higher your level) but they make a huge difference. Konde for example is a skilled mage who, once the talent unlocks, will get up to 12 casts per spell level instead of the ordinary 9. All the characters in your party except Erica and likely your premade fighter will get something. (Your main character has a chance for one that's higher than other player-made characters but it's still pretty low)

Also make sure that you're playing to the characters' personalities. Konde is a Narcissist so you shouldn't be attacking with him as it's too risky. In general if you're playing at a reasonable pace and your characters' personalities aren't opposite each other (e.g. extroverts and introverts in the same party) loyalty is absurdly easy to get in Busin 0--in my last playthrough I was maxed out by the end of level 5.

There isn't any place to buy equipment other than what you've found. You work for Vigger so she won't sell you her stock, those are for customers. :v:

Well, actually, that's not entirely true. There is another place to buy certain very specialized equipment. But explaining exactly what would be a spoiler. You're about two levels away from discovering it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Find a doorway. The droids actually aren't too bad as long as they don't KO you or paralyze you because they have low hit points. A typical Arnika android has 30-40 hp; the bandits in Arnika can get up to 120.

You could also try to find a guard patrol. There's usually 3 different patrols wandering around the city and they will bust up some androids and good.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

ceaselessfuture posted:

I honestly can't see a benefit to taking a pure caster over a Bishop in Wiz8. Sure pure casters only have to worry about one book, but leveling up two books isn't very difficult at all, especially when Knock Knock will level Alchemy and Mage to max in an hour or so.

Bishops can also wear better armor and have better weaponry. They also have the ability to uncurse a player, so now cursed items have absolutely no drawback.

They get higher level spells way, way faster, get more spell points sooner (because you're likely focusing on only 2-3 realms), and have more hps because they are higher level. They will also get expert skills faster because they are leveling faster. Bishops being able to wear better armor is a (small) benefit but having access to better weapons than an alchemist, psion, or wizard is not relevant. They are casters.

A fairy alchemist or wizard is a holy terror that comes online at least a dozen hours before a bishop. Instead of having to grind (and in my experience a bishop, even a two-book bishop, MUST grind) you have a self-sufficient nuker who can carry your party through the early and middle game.

The real question isn't bishop vs. pure caster, it's pure caster vs. bard/gadgeteer. Bards get the Pipes of Pain VERY early and I think gadgeteers get the disco-ball-mez thingy early too. Both of those obviate the need for a pure caster, not including buff spells. Which is what hybrids are for, IMO. Wizards and alchemists will keep getting amazing AOE spells that will scale very well into the mid- and late-game, whereas item-casters will end up being utility that do lovely melee damage (bards) or lovely ranged damage with incredible debuffs (gadge).

Vakal
May 11, 2008
In Wiz 8, I used Ctrl+F12 to enter windowed mode. It runs fine but the movement controls seem to be messed up. I can turn left and right fine, but can't walk forward or backwards.

Is there something I'm missing?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Kind of disappointed in the Lord in Wiz 8, I probably should have listened to conventional wisdom when everyone was saying they're crap. While all my other hybrids have come into their own now that my party is around level 11-12, my Lord is dead last in terms of kills and effectiveness, even lagging behind my gadgeteer who's got decent ammo and a slew of gadgets now. I'm following the dual mace mostly-warrior build that seems to be popular online, but the problem is that there's not a lot of offhand maces to equip. Casting the occasional healing and buff is sort of nice, but my bishop can already handle all that and more. In the punching department, my Lord character just doesn't hold a candle to Rogue, who's my main melee powerhouse, or my high-critting, multi-attacking Samurai, plus his KO effects seem to proc way less than, say, the status effects on my Gadgeteer's omnigun.

Hopefully he'll shape up once I get better gear, but for now he seems the least interesting and effective class so far.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

moot the hopple posted:

Kind of disappointed in the Lord in Wiz 8, I probably should have listened to conventional wisdom when everyone was saying they're crap. While all my other hybrids have come into their own now that my party is around level 11-12, my Lord is dead last in terms of kills and effectiveness, even lagging behind my gadgeteer who's got decent ammo and a slew of gadgets now. I'm following the dual mace mostly-warrior build that seems to be popular online, but the problem is that there's not a lot of offhand maces to equip. Casting the occasional healing and buff is sort of nice, but my bishop can already handle all that and more. In the punching department, my Lord character just doesn't hold a candle to Rogue, who's my main melee powerhouse, or my high-critting, multi-attacking Samurai, plus his KO effects seem to proc way less than, say, the status effects on my Gadgeteer's omnigun.

Hopefully he'll shape up once I get better gear, but for now he seems the least interesting and effective class so far.

The advantage of offhand maces is that it includes Diamond Eyes, which is probably one of the best non-specialty offhand weapons period (and is a mace).

I'm still not a real fan of Lords. If I need a divine hybrid, Valkyrie is better, and if I need a warrior, I'll just bring a Fighter or Rogue or Samurai. Fighters can use Diamond Eyes too, as can Valkyries if they're not holding a polearm.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I just got W5 in for SNES. Anything I should know before going in?

I have only ever played a little bit of W8.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

sean10mm posted:

I don't know how I missed the lightning rod but holy crap does that change things. I loaded an old save with my crappy party from before they left the monastery, grabbed the lightning rod and am 10 times better off. I will probably just stick it through with my late bloomers now that my gadgeteer can actually hurt things instead of doing 0-5 damage with omni gun rocks.

Make sure to make your ranger a double crossbow as soon as possible. Also hopefully you're pumping Senses and Dex on him. You'll see a whole new side to the character as soon as you start shooting multiple times per round and critical hitting enemies before they even get to melee range.

Also, you get the dart/throwing weapon upgrade for the omni gun fairly early. Make sure you're upgrading your ammo along with the gun.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I began a party in 6, consisting of:

Liz Fighter
Liz Samurai
Felpurr Ninja
Rawulf Valkyrie (F)
Hobbit Bard (F)
Elf Bishop (F)

Am I overlooking anything major? I have a concern that I'm too fighter-heavy. I am not very far in, and may restart if this doesn't work out initially, or if 2 Lizardmen will be annoying to class swap because of their mentals or something.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Prism posted:

The advantage of offhand maces is that it includes Diamond Eyes, which is probably one of the best non-specialty offhand weapons period (and is a mace).

I'm still not a real fan of Lords. If I need a divine hybrid, Valkyrie is better, and if I need a warrior, I'll just bring a Fighter or Rogue or Samurai. Fighters can use Diamond Eyes too, as can Valkyries if they're not holding a polearm.

Yeah, I totally forgot about Diamond Eyes when I picked a Lord for my frontline fighter in the game I started a few months ago, so I had been training him in Sword. Luckily, he still lands most hits with Diamond Eyes due to maxed out Dex and Str, so it's slowly but surely catching up in rank.

coyo7e posted:

Okay I began a party in 6, consisting of:

Liz Fighter
Liz Samurai
Felpurr Ninja
Rawulf Valkyrie (F)
Hobbit Bard (F)
Elf Bishop (F)

Am I overlooking anything major? I have a concern that I'm too fighter-heavy. I am not very far in, and may restart if this doesn't work out initially, or if 2 Lizardmen will be annoying to class swap because of their mentals or something.

One of the main NPCs, who will follow you into more zones than most other NPCs, is a great Valkyrie. You probably could swap out your Valkyrie for something more magical/support-based. If your Ninja will be well-trained in lockpicking/senses, a Mage would probably be best, otherwise a Ranger or Gadgeteer.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah, I totally forgot about Diamond Eyes when I picked a Lord for my frontline fighter in the game I started a few months ago, so I had been training him in Sword. Luckily, he still lands most hits with Diamond Eyes due to maxed out Dex and Str, so it's slowly but surely catching up in rank.

One of the main NPCs, who will follow you into more zones than most other NPCs, is a great Valkyrie. You probably could swap out your Valkyrie for something more magical/support-based. If your Ninja will be well-trained in lockpicking/senses, a Mage would probably be best, otherwise a Ranger or Gadgeteer.

Unfortunately Gadgeteers don't exist in Wizardry 6. Same with the free Valkyrie buddy.

I haven't played 6 in a very long time and don't have a ton of advice, but it looks pretty solid to me aside from being slightly too combat-loaded; you might have reach trouble. I would probably think about getting another caster unless that's a multi-book bishop setup, though other people may have better advice for W6.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Prism posted:

Unfortunately Gadgeteers don't exist in Wizardry 6. Same with the free Valkyrie buddy.

I haven't played 6 in a very long time and don't have a ton of advice, but it looks pretty solid to me aside from being slightly too combat-loaded; you might have reach trouble. I would probably think about getting another caster unless that's a multi-book bishop setup, though other people may have better advice for W6.

You can't really have a multi-book bishop setup in Wizardry 6 the same way as 8; Bishops only get Mage and Priest spells and that's it. It's only 8 where they can cast from all four schools.

It's definitely a little fighter-heavy, and Bishops are mediocre characters in Wizardry 6 and 7. That's not a bad endgame party at all, but your early game is going to be very rough without a competent caster. Ditch the Samurai or the Valkyrie for a caster. And I'd change the Bishop to a Mage/Priest/Alchemist/Psionic as well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Can somebody give me or link me to a quick-start guide for Wiz 6?

I made a party, which was something like a Samurai, a Valkyrie, a Ninja, a Bard, and 2 Bishops, and then have been unable to win even 1 combat encounter without someone dying (and I did equip everyone).

Are there really no rats or the like to start against?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Prism posted:

I'm an idiot. I thought he said party OF 6 (in 8). :downs:

Carry on.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ulmont posted:

I made a party, which was something like a Samurai, a Valkyrie, a Ninja, a Bard, and 2 Bishops, and then have been unable to win even 1 combat encounter without someone dying (and I did equip everyone).

The enemies are location-based, so they get more difficult as you go upward or download from the first floor.

You need to have close to 10 in skullduggery to bother even trying to save/reload lockpick your way through doors. The iron and copper keys you usually get from rogue type guys, can open the locked doors but it's more worthwhile to come back in a level or 2 and let your lockpicker (bard, I assume, since Ninja get terrible skill points per level,) go to town. Lock difficulty seems random between reloads even if you don't move or do anything different, and they seem to have a cumulative "damage" factor for doors, so save before the first try and then reload back once it jams.

Save before going through any door.

Opposite the spot you start the game on the first floor, there's a golden gate, look at the wall to the right of the gate - hidden switches look like that thingy. Search every room unless you've got a guide, and be sure to use the swag bag on every character to keep their inventory clear.

You can grind for fights by standing in place and holding down the left or right turn button for a couple-few seconds.

Starting without even a single pure fighter may be tricky, go into the central hall on the starting floor, get the amulet of life, and then go downstairs one level and find queequeg and sell it to him for 8000+ gold. He has a random inventory of gear so you can buy some decent armor for your samurai and valkyrie from him (leather books and gauntlets are a Big Deal, make sure all your body parts are covered!) Itching Powder is an AOE damage plus debuff, they're worth buying a few and saving.

Also, be sure to get a copy of Cosmic Forge editor, install it, then go to under "Help" ther is a "minor cheats" thing, which allows you to increase the probability of getting a high number of bonuses when making new characters. Turn it on and never look back.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ulmont posted:

First, what version of Wizardry 6 are you using? I'm not sure whether or not the GOG version has fixed it, but Wizardry 6 has really insidious DRM that has been notoriously difficult to patch out. If not entirely patched out properly you won't be able to hit jack and the monsters will do absurd amounts of damage. If you got it off some abandonware site you're probably never going to win it since I don't think it was ever successfully bypassed. IIRC even the Ultimate Wizardry Archives version has problems with it--I remember when I played through that version every once in a while it would kick in and I'd have to reload a saved game or something.

Second, you have a bad party setup. You're way too elite-class heavy for a starting Wizardry 6 party. In Wizardry 6/7 you should mostly start with basic classes and then change into elites when you're ready. It's helpful to start with a Samurai and/or Ninja so you can get their starting equipment, and a Bard is a must for their lute, but other than that the rest of your party should be basic classes. You'll have the opportunity to change them into better classes later. Bishops are generally bad in Wizardry 6 and two in a starting party is going to be an enormous headache.

If you want to really metagame, you'll want to make a starting party with as many purist spellcasters as possible. The reason for this is that your spell point regeneration rate is decided by the first character class you start with, and all non-casters have a crappy regeneration rate. Or you could just use a save game editor to fix it. It's probably a bug that it doesn't depend on your current class, so it's not as much cheating to change that I think. Also don't make any Lizardmen if you plan to have them as casters at all, since they get a penalty to MP regeneration.

There are actually several pretty good walkthroughs for Wizardry 6 out there--one is on GameFAQs IIRC.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Genpei Turtle posted:

First, what version of Wizardry 6 are you using? I'm not sure whether or not the GOG version has fixed it, but Wizardry 6 has really insidious DRM that has been notoriously difficult to patch out.

GOG claims to have patched out the DRM.

Genpei Turtle posted:

You're way too elite-class heavy for a starting Wizardry 6 party.

So the suggested is something more like Fighter/Fighter/Samurai[or Ninja]/Bard/Mage/Priest?

Genpei Turtle posted:

If you want to really metagame, you'll want to make a starting party with as many purist spellcasters as possible.

...or start with Mage/Mage/Mage/Bard/Priest/Priest, and immediately class change (is that possible)?

Genpei Turtle posted:

There are actually several pretty good walkthroughs for Wizardry 6 out there--one is on GameFAQs IIRC.

I wasn't happy with what I saw from GameFAQs, so I'd appreciate a more specific pointer if you have one.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ulmont posted:

I wasn't happy with what I saw from GameFAQs, so I'd appreciate a more specific pointer if you have one.

I just re-read the the FAQ on GameFAQs (the one by ssjlee) and the information on party composition and starting the game is extremely solid. In fact it's substantially better than just about anything else I've read on the web about Wizardry 6 so if you weren't happy with that guide I'm afraid you're probably going to be out of luck. Sorry.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ulmont posted:

I gave you a bunch of specific pointers and I've put 6 hours into 6 since yesterday, what do you want to know that is "more specific"? I can at least vaguely recall most of the starting stuff that's tough to figure out, L'Montes, Captain's password (tell queequeg where his treasure is), etc.

As long as you aren't wandering in basement 2 you ought to not meet TOO many nasty nasty encounters early, although opening closed and/or locked doors past the starting floor can lead to some startling fights.

Sleep everything. Once you get one group of enemies slept, focus on attacking them since you get combat bonuses, while the Crowd Control guys (bard, mage, alchie) try and KO the first two groups in the list (usually enemies in the third or farther rank can't hit you, unless they have ranged attacks and spells. This makes the thief-type enemies REALLY dangerous since they can cast AOE "spells" with the effects of itching powder, cherry bombs, etc.)

Mostly though, grinding up to exp level 2 or 3 for your party is key, as well as buying better gear off Queequeg ASAP. Ress items are useless in combat (either they don't work or you simply need a high artifact skill or they fizzle,) in the early game, since it's just as quick to reload when you accidentally stumble into a party of 6 ninjas just outside the gates to the Styx, like I did last night. ;)

Also, play in windowed mode so when you gently caress up and people start croaking, you can close the window and restart instead of finishing the fight. ;)

Souai
Dec 16, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Your main problem is that your levels are very low for where you are.

There isn't any place to buy equipment other than what you've found. You work for Vigger so she won't sell you her stock, those are for customers. :v:

Ah, I guess I will try to exercise a little patience and work on that pixie quest or kill some B3 monsters and get more spell stone materials for level 2/3 magic and hopefully some useful equipment. I'm glad the issue is less my lack of thief and more from low character levels. I thought something was a bit off when I was mostly getting level 4/5 spell components and had just now gotten my first level 3 charge on my pure priest and mage.

I haven't had a single spell stone mutate yet after 100+ stones and haven't noticed a red moon mechanic like there was in the first game. Is it a certain combination of materials that make them, random chance, or some other mechanic to try to get spell stone mutations in this game?

Is the 3 katana order specific to samurai weapons or any bladed weapon? I haven't tried to accomplish it yet since I haven't found a single katana yet. On that note are they actually worth doing? I wasn't paying close attention to the results from previous orders, is it just a bonus over selling from the warehouse for shop levels?

A monster used a purple cone attack that hit my bishop and gave him a lost spell message, it seems like it maybe erased his ability to cast leap? I don't remember but is that a mechanic from TOFL that I've forgotten and are that and level drain both irreversible other than finding another spell stone or gaining more experience?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Souai posted:

Ah, I guess I will try to exercise a little patience and work on that pixie quest or kill some B3 monsters and get more spell stone materials for level 2/3 magic and hopefully some useful equipment. I'm glad the issue is less my lack of thief and more from low character levels. I thought something was a bit off when I was mostly getting level 4/5 spell components and had just now gotten my first level 3 charge on my pure priest and mage.

I haven't had a single spell stone mutate yet after 100+ stones and haven't noticed a red moon mechanic like there was in the first game. Is it a certain combination of materials that make them, random chance, or some other mechanic to try to get spell stone mutations in this game?

Is the 3 katana order specific to samurai weapons or any bladed weapon? I haven't tried to accomplish it yet since I haven't found a single katana yet. On that note are they actually worth doing? I wasn't paying close attention to the results from previous orders, is it just a bonus over selling from the warehouse for shop levels?

A monster used a purple cone attack that hit my bishop and gave him a lost spell message, it seems like it maybe erased his ability to cast leap? I don't remember but is that a mechanic from TOFL that I've forgotten and are that and level drain both irreversible other than finding another spell stone or gaining more experience?

Spell mutations come from specific combinations. Usually it's "Try to make spell X and sometimes spell Y will come out"

I don't remember that specific order but orders are usually for a specific item. So if he says 3 katanas you probably need 3 katanas and not Magus katanas or whatever. You generally should make as much of an effort to finish all the optional quests that you can.

Some monsters do indeed have the ability to make you forget spells. It's an incredibly annoying ability because IIRC if you leveled a spell to 50 or whatever and lose it, guess what, you have to do it all over again. If I get hit with that, level drain, or ability drain, I usually reset.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

ulmont posted:

GOG claims to have patched out the DRM.

I've never tried the GOG version, but combat shouldn't be insanely difficult, and on the entry level you should encounter mostly normal rats, normal bats, and the even wimpier vines. If you started out with a character with 2 maximum hit points, even a bat or rat can easily one-shot that character. (This is one of several reasons to start with a Faerie Bard: the Faerie's high speed lets her go first and put everything to sleep. She'll probably start with 2-3 hit points though.) If you go up or down a staircase, things get more dangerous, although you do want to find the vendor Queequeg in the basement quickly.

What you're describing does sound very much like the problems a lot of other people have with Wizardry 6's really, really awful copy protection scheme, though.

quote:

So the suggested is something more like Fighter/Fighter/Samurai[or Ninja]/Bard/Mage/Priest?
...or start with Mage/Mage/Mage/Bard/Priest/Priest, and immediately class change (is that possible)?

At least one Bard is pretty much a must, no matter what.

You don't need to do the 5 spellcaster plus 1 bard trick, but I do pretty strongly recommend making sure your back-rank characters have fast mana regeneration if you aren't going to hack the game to fix the slow regeneration rate. (Front-line characters being able to cast spells is useful, but you only really need to teach them utility spells like Heal Wounds, Cure Lesser Condition, Silence, and Dispel Undead; you don't need to do it early, either.)

Valkyries are close to strictly superior to Fighters; it's perfectly okay to start with one or two of those (there isn't much point to ever having a Fighter at any time, in Wizardry 6 or 7). It's a strong class from beginning to end. Samurai is kind of weak for a starting class, and so is Monk; Ninja is kind of bad too but at least they get special ninja armor that's hard to find otherwise. Samurai and Ninja are good classes to switch to once you've settled in. (I know I specifically recommended switching to these classes right away, but that's kind of a powergaming trick to make things easier later on; it's rougher earlier on. Valkyries can kick rear end right out of the gate. You can switch around classes later.)

Don't start with a Bishop; their only advantage early on is the -2 AC hat that's hard to find otherwise (this is a tiny advantage). Pure mages and priests are pretty powerful in the early game once you get your feet wet; you're much better off starting and sticking with a pure mage and a pure priest than two bishops. If you're unfamiliar with the game, you want to get spells like Fireball and Dispel Undead available as soon as you can, and the best way to do that is with pure mages and priests.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I gave you a bunch of specific pointers and I've put 6 hours into 6 since yesterday, what do you want to know that is "more specific"?

I was responding to Genpei Turtle there, and I just meant "which FAQ?"

coyo7e posted:

Also, play in windowed mode so when you gently caress up and people start croaking, you can close the window and restart instead of finishing the fight. ;)

Heh. Oddly, I figured that one out already.

Boldor posted:

What you're describing does sound very much like the problems a lot of other people have with Wizardry 6's really, really awful copy protection scheme, though.

Weird. Maybe I'll see if I can enter the copy protection anyway.

Boldor posted:

Valkyries are close to strictly superior to Fighters; it's perfectly okay to start with one or two of those (there isn't much point to ever having a Fighter at any time, in Wizardry 6 or 7).

I may give this one a shot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Sorry for posting too much, but I wanted to respond to this since I found some things out:

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Great thread! I enjoyed the history lesson :)

If, like me, you bought Wizardry 6 but found that the audio pops at the beginning and end of every sound effect then please go here: http://www.gog.com/forum/wizardry_series/wizardry_6_audio_popping because I made a fix for that and it really helped me enjoy the game more when you dont have to turn the sound off.
GOG comes with the same version of dosbox as the modified one, although they're very different size files. I found though, that GOG keeps the dosbox .conf file inside the game directory, so you can go in and add "popfix=true" and it should fix the audio. I haven't tested this without replacing the GOG version of dosbox, I assume it wouldn't hurt but didn't care to bother to try.

---

I'm restarting Wiz6 with a Party of Rawulf Samurai, a Valkyrie, a faery Bard, Ninja, and probably a mage and psionicist or something, probably elf and a mook since I always ignored them but it sounds as though they do have some special stuff in Wiz8.

I used to prefer lizardmen hitters for their high mental resists after a charmed fighter ruined my party a few times, but their mentals make it pretty tough to swap classes from what I recall.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I'm restarting Wiz6 with a Party of Rawulf Samurai, a Valkyrie, a faery Bard, Ninja, and probably a mage and psionicist or something, probably elf and a mook since I always ignored them but it sounds as though they do have some special stuff in Wiz8.

I used to prefer lizardmen hitters for their high mental resists after a charmed fighter ruined my party a few times, but their mentals make it pretty tough to swap classes from what I recall.

The killer with Lizardmen in Wizardry 6 (and maybe 7 too?) is that they take a hefty penalty to mana regen. They pretty much won't be good casters ever since their MP take so crazy long to refill. In Wizardry 8 they have a penalty to mental resistance even. They make great bashers though.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There are a SHITLOAD of stat-boosting bard (and gadgeteer, I guess) specific gear in Wiz8.

You absolutely can have a bard man the frontlines if you so desire. Though I'd recommend a female Lizard for the role. Max out her vitality, get iron skin, wear Caliban's Cuirass. Wear 2 rings of the road, have like 140 strength with power strike. Probably my second favorite race/class combo after the Faerie Ninja (who's only good because of the Cane)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So I'm on my first playthrough of Wiz 8. My part is a Dracon Samurai, Dracon Fighter, Elf Ranger, Human Bard, and two Faerie Bishops (one mage/psionic, the other priest/alchemy). I'm doing okay so far, my party is level 5 but a could can level to 6, but I'm not done in the monastery yet so I'm holding off getting any higher for now. Two things. One, my Samurai was doing great at first because of his two attacks but he's falling off fast, barely doing more damage than my Ranger right now. What skills and stats should I be levelling on him, and are there any good weapons in the monastery he can use? I'm still using the ones he came with.

Also, what do I need to know about party formation with a party like the one I have? I feel like I'm going to start getting my rear end kicked if I'm not laid out correctly to protect my squishies. Right now I have the two melee up front, the ranger/bard in the middle, and the two bishops in back.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Safari Disco Lion posted:

So I'm on my first playthrough of Wiz 8. My part is a Dracon Samurai, Dracon Fighter, Elf Ranger, Human Bard, and two Faerie Bishops (one mage/psionic, the other priest/alchemy). I'm doing okay so far, my party is level 5 but a could can level to 6, but I'm not done in the monastery yet so I'm holding off getting any higher for now. Two things. One, my Samurai was doing great at first because of his two attacks but he's falling off fast, barely doing more damage than my Ranger right now. What skills and stats should I be levelling on him, and are there any good weapons in the monastery he can use? I'm still using the ones he came with.

Also, what do I need to know about party formation with a party like the one I have? I feel like I'm going to start getting my rear end kicked if I'm not laid out correctly to protect my squishies. Right now I have the two melee up front, the ranger/bard in the middle, and the two bishops in back.

I personally don't like putting casters in the back, because the back is the front if you get ambushed from behind (yes, okay, kind of redundant, but still).

I would put the casters in the middle and the ranger in the back, as the ranger is slightly less likely to die in a stiff breeze than a pair of faerie casters. If you pick up the Valkyrie companion I would put her on a flank. The bard can probably be on the other flank, especially if your bard is a she and can use some gear males can't.

As an added bonus, casters in the center can reach with long staves and still attack things in melee to save mana early on. The ranger really doesn't care where they're placed, they can hit things anywhere.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Speed and dexterity, then strength and senses. Most of the melee classes take a while to get going, so just keep your eye out for weapons that add "+to hit". When you reach the first main city you should be able to buy traditional samurai swords that'll work well. Also, keep shuriken and throwing daggers in the secondary weapon slot to take advantage of when monsters aren't at melee - high Dex will help you hit with those. Or alternatively, put something like a polearm in the offhand slot.

Your problem is the sides. Put the Fighter up front, the Samurai and Ranger on the flanks, the Bard in the back, and the Bishops in the middle. Monsters with Extended range will still take swipes at your Bishops until you get NPCs that you can put up front (hint - the first two you find both do well up front), but that is much better than them flanking you and getting a free shot at your Bishops without anyone in the way.

Also, you can change formation mid-combat (it'll go back to normal afterwards) by clicking on the combat formation icon. So if you're up against one or two tough enemies instead of a pack of smaller ones, move the Samurai up front so he will be in melee range and so he will protect the Bishops from Extended attacks.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
A few other things to keep in mind for new players of Wiz8:

1) Stamina is hugely, hugely important in combat. There's a reason you find a Book of Stamina in the first dungeon. Train up Water as much as you can (there's a book of Lesser Cures in Arnika which you can use in conjunction with the trapped coffin in the Lower Monastery) and try to keep your fighters all over ~50% stamina during combat. This increases accuracy and damage and prevents the characters from falling unconscious.

2) Close Combat and Ranged Combat are almost as important than the skills of the weapon you're using. Train them up as well.

EDIT - Slight mistake re: CC and RC skills.

Interesting mechanics guide for anyone interested in the inner-workings of this game.

http://i45.narod.ru/wiz/stats.html

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 4, 2013

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
When I get home I'll do a hugeish write up on the wizardry eight classes, starting advice, and some itemization/level up tips. Although if someone wants to do one for the Lord speak up because I , for the life of me, cannot see choosing one over any other class.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

FriggenJ posted:

When I get home I'll do a hugeish write up on the wizardry eight classes, starting advice, and some itemization/level up tips. Although if someone wants to do one for the Lord speak up because I , for the life of me, cannot see choosing one over any other class.

Lord: Valkyrie Hardmode who doesn't get a bonus to any skill (because Dual-Wield past 100 does literally nothing).

I think the concept of Lords is awesome, but they're a pretty terrible class.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Thanks for the advice everyone! My level 5 party fresh from the monastery is still getting slaughtered by a group of multiple level 21 androids in Arnika. Even with a full patrol helping me they just cut us all down. My spells don't do much to them and I can barely do damage. They paralyze everyone and then slaughter my party and the guards. Is the difficulty curve supposed to be this insane this early in the game? I don't see how I can actually win this battle, and they are following me around too.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
By the time you get to Arnika you really should be higher than five. You can use your saved level ups when you're past the road section. Run to the shops and get geared up somewhat and stay away from the ship.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Okay, thanks for the formation advice. Though I visited Antone in Arnika and the only Samurai weapons he had were the katana and wakizashi that my samurai started with. Good stuff for my fighter though.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

I don't remember that specific order but orders are usually for a specific item. So if he says 3 katanas you probably need 3 katanas and not Magus katanas or whatever. You generally should make as much of an effort to finish all the optional quests that you can.

I just realized that you're talking about shop orders and not optional quests, my bad. :v:

Orders are good for raising your store's fame and getting the rewards for the individual orders. Also most orders don't repeat so if you fill the crappy orders your chance of getting orders with good rewards will increase. The deeper in the dungeon you go, the better orders you'll get. Also if you ignore Orders for too long your shop's alignment will shift to Evil. (I'm not sure your shop's alignment has any bearing on anything other than its title though)

You can get katanas off the Samurai on LV3, BTW. If you don't have one yet, you should probably make yourself a Gizoku now so you can start robbing enemies in battle. They're critical for getting loot off enemies.

Speaking of the shop, grinding it up is one of the most obnoxious features of Busin 0. The fastest way, once you have a lot of money, is to go to the Branch office screen and continuously move the branch office between Level 1 and Level 2 of the dungeon, for like 5 Fame a pop. But the rewards are worth it.

Actually, I take that back--the best way to get shop fame is to have your Orc party find loot in the dungeon. But grinding your Orc party to the point where they can consistently find stuff, even on Level 1, without getting murdered, is even worse than grinding your shop's fame. The orc party is pretty much the only way you're going to get some great loot like class change orbs though so it's worth it. And they're literally the only way to get the Paladin and Dark Knight class change orbs before beating the game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Chairman Pow! posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone! My level 5 party fresh from the monastery is still getting slaughtered by a group of multiple level 21 androids in Arnika. Even with a full patrol helping me they just cut us all down. My spells don't do much to them and I can barely do damage. They paralyze everyone and then slaughter my party and the guards. Is the difficulty curve supposed to be this insane this early in the game? I don't see how I can actually win this battle, and they are following me around too.

You should NOT be fighting level 21 androids in Arnika with your party at level 5. Something has gone wrong. Arnika is one of the smoothest level scaling areas in the game, you should never see anything more than a couple levels higher than you and the Savant androids start out at level 4-5 so you're not even below the minimum level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Zurai posted:

You should NOT be fighting level 21 androids in Arnika with your party at level 5. Something has gone wrong. Arnika is one of the smoothest level scaling areas in the game, you should never see anything more than a couple levels higher than you and the Savant androids start out at level 4-5 so you're not even below the minimum level.

Okay glad to hear that, I just reloaded to check and the Higardi raiders are all level 5 and I have 3 level 6 Savant gunners. The problem is the 2 level 21 androids that are with them. I have tried a bunch of saves, even leaving and reloading several times and they are always there. Unless there is another way to reset monster spawns, I may just have to start a new game :(

• Locked thread