Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I hate to see someone who works in such a physical job, especially pulling overtime, etc. suffering on a mattress that is that bad. Not to say that you should go out and buy a $2000 mattress on credit, but some ideas:

Do you have an outlet or discount warehouse for furniture or mattresses near you? Here in the Bay places advertise in the back of the weekly papers or with signs on the street or craigslist and I've bought or helped friends pick up from them before... it's anywhere from 100-300 for a mattress and boxspring. I think that smaller expense to get you in some more comfort and allowing you to keep pulling those OT hours.

If you'd rather wait and save for a real nice one, may I suggest a ~$100 foam mattress topper? They have them at both Walmart and Target (if I remember you live in a more rural area?) and as long as you have a head/foot board they dont slide around. You can also buy a clip to hold them in place better if you have a platform bed or something like that.

How are your children's jobs going? One worked at a pizza joint, right? If possible, encourage him (if I remember correctly) to try to move into bussing and then serving at a restaurant. The extra tips on top of that min wage can really be great and may help him be more social.

Glad you are doing well and sticking to it, I want to see you succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
We had a memory foam topper and it made it worse. It was compressing at my hips and I woke up in horrible back pain every morning. I really want a sleep number bed that has the adjustable frame. The adjustable frame would help with my reflux and snoring. They are so expensive though, although they give a 25% discount to nurses. Pricing it out with the frame sets us around $4000 though, and that's a lot to spend. It was so much more comfortable than the regular mattresses we tried out. It's a dilemma right now. Going to keep looking around.

Our 18 year old is now at college and doesn't have a job this semester. He's in marching band this semester (which he got a scholarship for) and we don't want him to have to pile a part time job on top of that and his classes during his first semester. He has some money saved up from his job at Sonic, so he has a little spending money. He's planning on getting a job during winter break and the spring.

The 16 year old is working at the drive-in and is saving all of her pennies. She agonizes over any money she spends. I guess it's a good thing, but she's a very strange girl. She has about $1200 in her bank account right now. She pays us $50/month towards her car insurance, and pays for her own gas. She wants to buy a car, but wants to buy something decent. She figures next year she will spend ~$3000 on something. I guess she's seen us struggle and doesn't want to do that. I'm pretty proud of her.

The 22 year old is going to learn to drive (finally) so he can take some culinary arts classes. He's the one with Asperger's, so it's difficult to motivate him. Too much pushing and he shuts down. The first driving lesson went well though, so I'm hopeful.

Hubby still loves his job and is applying for a supervisor position. It's a small bump in pay.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

If you want a sleep number bed, don't try to save some money buying a "Personal Comfort Bed". I have owned both brands, and the personal comfort bed was a big pile of crap compared to the sleep number.

• Locked thread