Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I've only played Hearts of Iron 3 with my buddy who has all the expansions as well. But I am wondering, for example in CK2. If I have the Old Gods and not The Republic or something. While my friends has some other expansions. We can't play together online, can we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Torabi posted:

I've only played Hearts of Iron 3 with my buddy who has all the expansions as well. But I am wondering, for example in CK2. If I have the Old Gods and not The Republic or something. While my friends has some other expansions. We can't play together online, can we?
You can, the only difference is that you will be able to play as Pagans but not as a Republic whereas your friend will be able to play as a Republic but not as a Pagan, and so on depending on what DLC you personally own. The only exclusive content I think is being able to start at 871(?) with the Old Gods DLC, so if your friend does not have that you will be forced to start in 1066 or later.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Smirr posted:

What am I looking at here? More importantly, how do I sacrifice people to what's-his-face-owicz?

And another question: is there any incentive to taking concubines other than flavor?

I'm having a blast with this DLC. I started as the Sorbs and, without even really trying for it, had become King of Pomerania 20 years in. That first inheritance is going to be really messy, though, and three of the Slavic holy sites are way over in the east, so we'll see how that goes.

Norse rulers can run a Blot(sort of a winter feast) every 5 or so years, if they have prisoners they get to sacrifice 3-4 of them and gain piety/prestige for each.
Concubines add to your prestige monthly and give you extra children

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

James The 1st posted:

It looks terrible. Basically, it makes all Mediterranean people look like bad muppets.

There's a mod on the pdox forums that "cleans up" the portraits. They're basically the same, but they don't look like boiled leather anymore. With that change I actually think the portraits are quite good.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Slowly realizing this DLC is more war based than I had originally thought. :shepicide:

As someone who hate hate HATES the war mechanics in these games, how the gently caress do I do anything war related? I'm tired of reading the Relm screen for the opponent's levy size only to have a loving large as doom stack conquer me. I was playing as a Zoroastrian before I rage-quit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How interesting is playing as a Zoroastrian? I've always liked saying Zoroastrian.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What turns West/East Francia into France and Germany?

e: Looks like they added a trigger for changing the name of a country and it fires in the 900s in the history files, but I don't know what triggers it in-game. I haven't played as them yet, just Vikings. k_germany becomes e_hre in 936.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 28, 2013

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think someone also said it was tied to the Karling dynasty.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is what I thought Viking would be like, just beat the combined doomstack of most of Sweden with the crippled remnants of my Norwegian force through the fact that they attacked me across a river. I have about 6 sons and am now gunning for the holy sites as fast as possible so that I can really begin making gains here.

I am impressed by how utterly and completely brutal the vikings are. They are just decimating all before them and it'd be more impressive if it wasn't so terrifying.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
This is on sale on Steam right now for 9.99. For 19.99 I can get the Crusader Kings II Collection which includes a bunch of extra DLC. Is it worth it to get the Collection? Does it add anything substantial to the game?

Vequeth
Jul 12, 2008
I am not sure if this is just me coming back to Vanilla from CK2+, or a bug in the new expansion, but im being attacked and the game wont let me surrender a war?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/595878779070871356/C15234F7B857C66B08BC947C51431F471E8C10A1/

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Subyng posted:

This is on sale on Steam right now for 9.99. For 19.99 I can get the Crusader Kings II Collection which includes a bunch of extra DLC. Is it worth it to get the Collection? Does it add anything substantial to the game?

Depends on what you want to do. The base game will allow you to play any christian feudal ruler on the map. Sword of Islam will let you play Muslims, The Republic lets you play Merchant Republics, The Old Gods lets you play pagans. Sunset Invasion adds an Aztec Invasion of western Europe to coincide with the Mongol Invasion (you can turn if off if you want to play a slightly less implausible game of CK2), and Legacy of Rome adds additional features for Orthodox nations, and Retinues, a small standing army you can develop over the centuries.

Legacy of Rome is the only DLC that really adds stuff to the game, though to be clear all the other DLCs were released alongside patches that added the unique mechanics of the countries they unlock for free, so it's not the same as the nickel-and-dime "already on disc" DLC it might look like at first glance.

Personally I'd say they're probably all worth it, though I confess I've never played a Muslim yet despite having Sword of Islam.

There's also a bunch of cosmetic things like music and portraits and poo poo, which might appeal to you but I am completely uninterested in (except the mongol face pack).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I usually play a custom diplomacy ruler, but since I decided to start as mr. Fairhair for the historic flavour I've come to realize just how dangerous it is to be a general in this game. My second son died in Greece fighting for the Varangian Guard, my "quick" heir died just a couple of days later, and then my last son died fighting against the swedes in the same battle I got knocked on the head and became incapable. Thank Thor I decided to switch to Elective, because my first three daughters had several kids through regular marriages. Two days later Fairhair dies and my "quick" youngest daughter is now fylkja and empress of an almost united Scandinavia.

Subyng posted:

Definitely worth it. The Republic and Sword of Islam makes Republics and Muslim leaders playable. Legacy of Rome adds special events for Byzantium and activates retinues for everyone. The Ruler Designer does what it says and it's very fun to make weird scenarios like a Muslim ruler of Ireland. Sunset Invasion is an alternative history scenario where the Aztecs invade western Europe, it's not really mandatory, but it can be fun. The rest is only extra songs and cosmetic stuff, but it's really cheap and makes for more fun visual variation.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I love raiding so much, it's super fun.

Though the fact that you can make auto concubines of your prisoners is kinda... you'd think they would try to leave or something, especially if they've never had a kid and the king/duke dies.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

How interesting is playing as a Zoroastrian? I've always liked saying Zoroastrian.

I wouldn't know, I keep getting swarmed by all the Muslims around me.

I'm really starting to regret this purchase. I usually have fun with this game but somehow... I'm getting really angry at this game now, even just Alt-F4ing in the middle of it.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

So my 2000 strong raiding band has raped and pillaged their way up the Rhine...now the Elbe - one thing that strikes me is that my ships are pretty much impervious to harm?

I'd like it if there was some sort of combat mechanic where the loot laden ships can actually be threatened until they reach home, right now once the loot is on board its totally risk free income.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Since installing Old Gods, game keeps hanging on the "Initialising map logic" screen. I got something similar in Victoria II, and I think you have to delete the map cache. Would it be the same thing?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

kissekatt posted:

You can, the only difference is that you will be able to play as Pagans but not as a Republic whereas your friend will be able to play as a Republic but not as a Pagan, and so on depending on what DLC you personally own. The only exclusive content I think is being able to start at 871(?) with the Old Gods DLC, so if your friend does not have that you will be forced to start in 1066 or later.

That's great. Thanks!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Neif posted:

So my 2000 strong raiding band has raped and pillaged their way up the Rhine...now the Elbe - one thing that strikes me is that my ships are pretty much impervious to harm?

I'd like it if there was some sort of combat mechanic where the loot laden ships can actually be threatened until they reach home, right now once the loot is on board its totally risk free income.

Unless they added naval combat in the new DLC, there never was naval combat, so I guess you win!

Nice OP, and pretty pumped about the new DLC. In case it's already fallen behind, the entire CK2 + all dlc (minus old gods) is on sale on steam for 20 bucks for all interested.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a mod that lets you hear DLC music without the ingame factors?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Does anyone still have a pre-patch game? I kind of want copies of the old Francia and Byzantine heraldry because I am a baby who hates change.

E: found the old Byzantine flag, but if anyone has the old Francia CoA please post it if possible.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 28, 2013

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Olewithmilk posted:

Since installing Old Gods, game keeps hanging on the "Initialising map logic" screen. I got something similar in Victoria II, and I think you have to delete the map cache. Would it be the same thing?

Make sure you have ALL the mods unchecked at the paradox ck2 launcher. I was experiencing the same thing until I realized CK2+ was still toggled. I had to scroll down the mod list to see it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Do any of you guys actually play online? I've only played with my friend in Hearts of Iron 3 and even just being two makes it a lot more fun. Especially when we are talking on Skype and loving up miserably.

I can only imagine what a CK2 (or any other paradox game) with 32 people must be like. :allears:

Probably hell. (At least with random people.)

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Zoroastrianism!

Zoroastrianism.jpg!

Such a divine marriage.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Probably should be posted on every page since it gets overlooked, but for anyone thinking of getting the Crusader Kings II Collection off of Steam, Amazon has it for cheaper and it's redeemable on Steam.

http://amzn.com/B00B7UK2I2 $14.99 gets you everything but the Old Gods expansion + DLCs that came out with it.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Is there a limit to how much you can pillage per raiding campaign? After I've pillaged a couple of provinces the notifications start reporting "0.00 gold pillaged," even from fresh untouched counties.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I can't imagine that you Zoroastrian guys have made it to the il-Khanate showing up, but do you think it will be possible to survive them? Granted, I have probably put 400 hours into this game and have never made it to the end date, but I think I'd be reluctant to start in Persia knowing that those jerks are a few centuries down the road from kicking my door in.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Surviving the Mongols in a 1066 start isn't very hard in the first place if you are willing to blob a bit and I can't imagine it being harder when starting from 867.

Deaf Mute
Sep 6, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is there a limit to how much you can pillage per raiding campaign? After I've pillaged a couple of provinces the notifications start reporting "0.00 gold pillaged," even from fresh untouched counties.

You can only pillage as much as you can fit on the nearby fleet. Select the fleet and there will be a bar at the bottom to tell you how much it can hold.

Ymel
Mar 16, 2007
Seems like they forgot the Schism doesn't happen until 1054, there are no orthodox and catholics at 867!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

ChikoDemono posted:

Probably should be posted on every page since it gets overlooked, but for anyone thinking of getting the Crusader Kings II Collection off of Steam, Amazon has it for cheaper and it's redeemable on Steam.

http://amzn.com/B00B7UK2I2 $14.99 gets you everything but the Old Gods expansion + DLCs that came out with it.

I did this and I highly recommend it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Am I able to buy the CK2 collection and split it, using the cosmetic dlc for me but gifting the base game +expansions?

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

no

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Am I able to buy the CK2 collection and split it, using the cosmetic dlc for me but gifting the base game +expansions?

Get the amazon version so you just get keys. It's also $5 cheaper.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Ivar The Boneless is so overpowered it's hilarious. You can start up as him, become king of Scotland, and just use your start-of-game "special event" armies to roll your way into enough holy sites to reform Norse.

Still, fun. If silly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do you get the ones in Francia and Lotharingia?

Lurker God
Jan 28, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT GETTING OWNED BY DAVID HOROWITZ (AND BEING FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF THE JEWISH RACE LOL)sieg heil ronald mcdonald;;

kissekatt posted:

Pretty sure that's not how it works, as I'm playing The Old Gods with a friend right now even though he doesn't have the expansion.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a mod that lets you hear DLC music without the ingame factors?

I made a tiny mod to do this for myself but I can upload it if you want. I need to download the new Old Gods music pack first though.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I made a tiny mod to do this for myself but I can upload it if you want. I need to download the new Old Gods music pack first though.

I'd appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

The new technology system is so far superior to the old one it's unbelievable.

• Locked thread