Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

IIRC Paradox said that the reason CKII doesn't simulate the low child life expectancy of the era is that they found it just too depressing, so they chose to balance it out by lowering the birthrate from the historical levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropia
Nov 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the reason why i play historical strategy games is certainly not to feel optimism about my potential prospects if i were to live in that era. humans are meat, history is a great grinder

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DStecks posted:

IIRC Paradox said that the reason CKII doesn't simulate the low child life expectancy of the era is that they found it just too depressing, so they chose to balance it out by lowering the birthrate from the historical levels.

Honestly if for no other reason, it reduces the number of popups you'd have to deal with doing it this way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Entropia posted:

the reason why i play historical strategy games is certainly not to feel optimism about my potential prospects if i were to live in that era. humans are meat, history is a great grinder

On the other hand, even from the most unfeeling and pragmatic perspective the sheer quantity of "child dead in it's infancy" messages would get pretty tiresome.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I did successfully manage to rip out the Ransom/Execute/Release All Prisoners decisions from Elder Kings to a standalone mod. I didn't test it super thoroughly but it seems to be working so far. Not really keen on the weird 'drop down' style they went with but whatever. If anyone has a vanilla save game with a ton of prisoners including some kins to be slain, can you send it my way?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DStecks posted:

I think performance issues were also mentioned- everybody having several kids that die young and do nothing would be a drain on performance for little benefit.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I used to get a little annoyed when my characters in vanilla would just not stop having kids but then I played Lux Invicta where they nerfed the hell out of child survival rates and fertility. I've played characters there who are married and have three concubines, all with no apparent fertility losses, and they'll have a kid maybe once every ten years or so. And then once they have it there's a 50% chance they'll due within a week. A lot of the times the mother will die too, with the cause listed as "died during childbirth" even if they die a month later. :confused:

I can see why they changed the death rates, but decreasing fertility too just makes it really frustrating.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Another thing is micromanaging the education of kids that have a huge chance of dying in childhood would be super annoying, not to mention the massive amounts of bungled successions. For gameplay reasons it's better to have fewer children in the game period.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How am I supposed to maneuver my grandchildren onto every throne in Europe if they die before puberty?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Make sure everyone else dies first.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

How am I supposed to maneuver my grandchildren onto every throne in Europe if they die before puberty?

:ese: everyone in front of them.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
That looks better than clicking anyway. Just gotta make sure I don't accidentally execute a subject.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I hate everyone of you complaining about not having enough kids right now :colbert: loving Halder couldn't keep it in his pants and you guys want more babies.

So question lets say half of dejure Francia Floats into Scandinavia, could I still form Francia if I take the rest? If not and I let all of Francia drift does Francia become Titular?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mega-Britannia broke up after the first emperor died. The Wendish Empire immediately broke off, Rus revolted, Britannia still holds the Scandinavia title but Sweden and Finland revolted. The Kingdom of Denmark no longer exists.

Meanwhile in Europe the Karlings had a billion kids but that didn't appear to be the problem here.

Sadly, I am but a lowly Doux in Byzantium. I've led and won two civil wars to reduce crown authority in 15 years though. Eat poo poo Basileus.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 11, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Karlings had a billion kids but that didn't appear to be the problem.

Sadly, I am but a lowly Doux in Byzantium.

No one can out clown-car a caliphate. Not even the Karlings.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

nutranurse posted:

The Karlings call up their levies, and have enough men that each levy can have a Karling commander. The Caliphate just calls up the Caliph's male relatives. Not to lead the armies, but to be the army.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

So question lets say half of dejure Francia Floats into Scandinavia, could I still form Francia if I take the rest? If not and I let all of Francia drift does Francia become Titular?

Yes and yes.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
The beta is out!

After the End 0.1
0.1.1 patch (fixes faction and religion bugs)
If you're seeing Caribbean/Tuskegean characters without faces, get the African Portraits DLC or delete interface/portraits_african.gfx.

Thanks to Ofaloaf and Klonself for all their hard work.

Sam. fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 12, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

More like thanks to Sam and Klonself for all their hard work. I've done fuckall nothing for weeks, they've been doing all the testing and fixing.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
And if you want the latest stuff, our Github is here. But don't be surprised if savegame incompatibility or crashes occur.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nutranurse posted:

Honk honk honk honk.

On that note, who would even have to be in charge to get the Muslihiddin title on their Caliphate? I don't believe I've ever seen that one before.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

9.9/10 of the time, the Caliphate(s) are formed by Bedouins, Andalusians, or Berbers. Titles owned by characters of those cultures take on the dynasty name (and in the case of Muslims, the emblem is replaced by the dynasty standard.)

Going by the color, it's probably some randomly generated Muslim dynasty that took over the Idrisids and proceeded to unlock the full potential of Islam.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So after forming India (which is kind of disappointing - no "congrats you have formed India" popup, no giving a cool title to the Ruler) what's next? The Seljuks have their attrition-free 60K doomstack which is even more potent when those areas can support ~10K of your troops max. Not enough boats to go around them and even if I did, the Caliph clown-car awaits. The Steppes are pretty far to navigate. Is this kind of it?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1

:flashfap: You guys who worked on this are all awesome. Thanks for the mod and for the hard work going into it (Same to other modders here, of course, lookin' at you DrSunshine :yayclod:) and it's time to form an absurd and ridiculous empire.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1

:swoon:
At last!

I booted it up and played 5 minutes as the Minginids and it crashed, but gently caress, I love it anyway.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Eiba posted:

:swoon:
At last!

I booted it up and played 5 minutes as the Minginids and it crashed, but gently caress, I love it anyway.

Oh, that reminds me-- when poo poo crashes, tell us and give us details and poo poo! We're, uh, we're working on it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Sam. posted:

And if you want the latest stuff, our Github is here. But don't be surprised if savegame incompatibility or crashes occur.

I'm missing the Jewish and the Indian expansions, so I can give reports on compatibility for that. :v:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1

Cool as hell, but it looks like there's no decision showing for faction demands. I jumped to the leaders of several factions, and none of them had the option to present their demands.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh, that reminds me-- when poo poo crashes, tell us and give us details and poo poo! We're, uh, we're working on it.
I figured it out.

I moused over one of the Occultist holy sites on the religion tab... that didn't seem to exist. Perhaps it's flipping out when it tries to bring up the tooltip?

It happened again just now when I booted up an Americanist and looked at their religion screen.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1

yessssssss

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

9.9/10 of the time, the Caliphate(s) are formed by Bedouins, Andalusians, or Berbers. Titles owned by characters of those cultures take on the dynasty name (and in the case of Muslims, the emblem is replaced by the dynasty standard.)

Going by the color, it's probably some randomly generated Muslim dynasty that took over the Idrisids and proceeded to unlock the full potential of Islam.

Now you will witness the full power of this religion *points clown car at France*

What's the best way to get your hands on a ducal claim these days anyway? Marry your heir to one of their children down the line of succession and stab your way into the top 3 before the duke kicks it? I haven't played as a subject ruler since Republic came out. The Basileus being a moron who keeps declaring holy wars on the giant Muslim country next to the Empire pretty much lets me win whatever revolt I start so I've gotten authority from High to Limited in 15 years and can go to war to press claims again.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 11, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now you will witness the full power of this religion *points clown car at France*

What's the best way to get your hands on a ducal claim these days anyway? Marry your heir to one of their children down the line of succession and stab your way into the top 3 before the duke kicks it? I haven't played as a subject ruler since Republic came out. The Basileus being a moron who keeps declaring holy wars on the giant Muslim country next to the Empire pretty much lets me win whatever revolt I start so I've gotten authority from High to Limited in 15 years and can go to war to press claims again.

Papal claims...if oyu're Catholic and have SoA. Otherwise, yeah, marriage stab.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I did end up having to become Catholic and I have all the expansions. (I'm rationalizing it as being a fifth columnist crypto-Orthodox Serbian trying to restore glorious Orthodoxy. I'm best friends with the Ecumenical Patriarch.)

I found a bug too. When I revolted, my ambition was to become Strategos for the emperor and didn't invalidate the ambition when I became the emperor of Byzantine Revolt. So while I was revolting I would get popups every few months with an event that asked if I wanted to become closer friends with my liege, me, to help my chances of being appointed Strategos of my realm.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Edison was a dick posted:

Ok, ed8db4f3f26958e1595500ae0d30ab076a13ba2f.zip is the last version before the map change.

483f04153c52e77f7bf6203ff97236fc9fbf58ba.zip is the latest I've tested, the commit immediately after it broke, but there's been 8 others.

master.zip will always be the most recent version, I expect to update this daily.

linux-port.zip includes my changes to make it work on Linux, though I may be the only one that cares about this branch.

I couldn't get this to work, the master.zip that is. Do I need to roll my version back or is there some special way you have to install it?

Iceblocks fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 11, 2014

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
If I land Seljuk when he first appears and switch over to him, would I still get the Seljuk events (and free event troops) or would I just play a normal game from that point?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sam. posted:

The beta is out!

After the End 0.1

Patrician Thom and Martha of Wayne.

You called the New York culture Gothamite just for this didn't you.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Patrician Thom and Martha of Wayne.

You called the New York culture Gothamite just for this didn't you.
If you've got the character customizer, try cycling through the potential Gothamite dynasties.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh yeah, and the Texas counties are unselectable at start, and half of them apparently have NO_CULTURE. I'm not running Sunset Invasion, so maybe it has something to do with that.

And is the Caribbean Empire heir supposed to be Peter Tosh?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
There had better be a Bruno Díaz in Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh yeah, and the Texas counties are unselectable at start, and half of them apparently have NO_CULTURE. I'm not running Sunset Invasion, so maybe it has something to do with that.

There's a few Texas counties which I didn't fully get in before my computer died on me*, so there's a few there which aren't really in at the moment. Those ones are the NOCULTURE ones, I bet, since we never got around to province histories for them (or even getting landed_title stuff in).

*Should be able to order a new motherboard this weekend, so yay for that.

• Locked thread