Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can you only start in 800s if you have the dlc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can I play with ck2+ if I don't own TOG?

Or am I hosed because its already patched in?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can all people who start uncivilized loot? Or is it limited to only Vikings and hoards?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I do not have Old Gods dlc(I know, I know) and I'm thinking of downgrading my CK version to play CK+ without issues.

What features/tweaks will I be losing as a non Viking/pagan by rolling back the old gods patch? The new technology system is all that comes to mind.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 11, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I've always started as independent dukes and now I want to try starting maybe as a count or duke who is part of a kingdom.

What kind of things do I need to be aware of when I am not the head poo poo in charge?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What kind of fiddling do I need to do in the music txt file to play all dlc music for all characters?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

uh zip zoom posted:

I know people were discussing music a few pages ago, but I missed all that and I have to ask: Is there a mod that allows you to set up your own custom music folder? I remember civilization IV was able to do that, even though the new one doesn't.

Anyway, I think that really the only appropriate music to play while raiding christian Europe is… Well…

http://youtu.be/r4Zj7Mxq5iU

Anyway, as I have several MP3s about getting money, it would be nice to listen to them all without having it overpower the other in game sounds.

Yea you just need to have your music in ogg format and add it into the music.txt. Google around for custom soundtracks for crusader kings 2 and you should get some more precise instructions.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

marktheando posted:

Yes I really miss the factions and civil wars systems from CK2+, as well as the ambitions and plots. Plotting to frame a vassal for treason is the most useful thing. I was without internet for a few days, so I only got one day of playing CK2+ with Old Gods before the new patch hit and broke it again. :smith:

A few pages back I swear I read people talking about how to roll back your version. I know you can do the right click -> properties ->steam beta to go back to 1.09, but I think this was different. Something about finding the old patch installers in the CK2 install directory?

Maybe I'm just dreaming though because I can't seem to find it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I've been playing as a count in the HRE and after a nice start I've decided to play as much of a nice guy, non-murdering style.

I'm ruled by my brother who is a duke and he handed out a few counties to me for free right at the start and threw feasts every month so I figure he's a cool dude and I'll avoid murdering him. Our other shithead brother rebels against the duke and we throw him in jail and I steal his land while he enjoys the dukes dungeon.

Now I have 100% of the counties I need for a duchy but I think because I'm ruled by a duke currently I can't petition to have a duchy because then I'd be the same rank as my liege.

What options do I have to expand in a way without having to depose my liege brother the duke?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What benefits(if any) exist from helping my liege in a war?

Obviously I indirectly help him because he calls up my levies in his armies, but I mean if I were to then call on my own vassals and march off with my own army helping to beat up dudes.

Being part of the HRE I've been involved a lengthy list of wars started by my duke or the HRE emperor and I've been calling up my dudes to go help thinking it might score me some brownie points. But as time wears on I feel like I don't see any benefit from assisting, plus I didn't start the war, so I'm starting to just watch from the sidelines.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
uh so I bumbled into my first kingdom - Bohemia. My brother kicked the bucket and his duchies plus my counties(and his inherited treasury!) let me form it, thanks bro!

First thing that happened to me was a rebellion from a noble with 2 counties, he was plotting so I tried to imprison him but failed. Now I've crushed his rebellion and he sits in my dungeon. I figure he's acted like a dickhead so I should revoke a title being king and all that, but I can not. It says that the HRE laws prohibit me, but on the laws screen the crown authority is Autonomous Vasals(I assume that is lowest level possible). It does look like the emperor is in the middle of trying to change the authority.

e:uh oh I may have accidentally supported the HRE emperor's bid to raise crown authority to 'limited'. Is it possible to change my vote? I was a new king without proper legal counsel and didn't know what I was signing!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153834543

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 19, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Alright I'm ready to jump ship, I've been the only vassal worth a poo poo to the HRE for a while now. I started out not scheming whatsoever within the HRE, because just through being a cool dude I formed the first kingdom within the empire. And whenever the usual Italian dukes try to win independence every 5 years I lend a hand to play whack-a-mole. But now I'm on the losing end of a 20 year war for some duchess's faction trying to put her on the HRE throne. I think the HRE might only be the emperor's demesne and myself, the duchies of Austria, Bavaria, Tuscany, Saxony, Luxemburg and more probably have all popped up.

How I splinter myself off like these other dudes have done in the middle of the war? Or just as good, jump on over to the winning faction?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The game I am running of CK+ right now, I am doing the Bretons, and I am just kind of like, you know, doing my own thing. Making sure I am allied with England and France so neither of them gently caress with me, and i look over, having not given two shits about the rest of Europe, its like maybe 1102 or something, and what? WHAT THE gently caress. WHERE IS THE HRE???!!??

I have no idea how but welp, there's no more HRE.

1102? Sounds about right, I'm at 1110 and I'm sure it would have been over 10 years ago if I wasn't clawing my way till the end. At this point I have put my self/king with his retinue on a ship and dropped him off in Spain because I'm married into all that. I dunno if that will save me when the end comes, I imagine I'll probably be thrown in prison somehow but at 71 I won't last long(I did manage to kill like 3 nobles single handed so who knows). I've dismissed all my troops and levies as I await the end, this must have been the same feeling the captain of the Titanic had as it went down slowly.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154078119

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

brocretin posted:

I just got all the music DLC for 3bux, can someone remind me what the hack to make all the music play as anyone is?

I'm trying to figure this out too. I'm sure there is a way.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Oh no, my super general was intercepted by my enemies in his small reinforcing army and thrown into the dungeons of my rebellious duke. I want to ransom him, but his jailer won't accept. Because my general is only a courtier it only asks for 10 gold.

Can I somehow increase how much I offer him to actually secure his release?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 22, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zotix posted:

New player here, quick question... Playing as dublin. So i formed the duchy of meath? Its the territory next door. I also have the area where my father died. Now if i want to take over other spots do i just fabricate claims or do i need to do other things?

Basically to take over any territory you need to have a 'claim' on the title for it. One way to gain a claim on a title is to use your chancellor to forge a claim on it. Other ways include pressing claims members of your court have (usually through their own families). Claims for titles above Count(like duke) are based on how many counties of that dukedom you control.

For your basic Irish start your general plan will be: Forge claim on a county -> Go to war -> Take county. Once you have half of the counties of a dukedom you can then claim the dukedom -> Go to war - Take the Dukedom.
One of the important things to learn as a new player is to get comfortable looking at titles(mainly dukedoms) and what counties are included. The game is all about weaseling your way into control of enough counties to take dukedoms, and then it just expands to duke->king->emperor.

The standard Irish start gives you a LOT of down time while you are waiting for these expansions so don't feel like you are missing something by not changing the time to 5x for a while.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 22, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jastiger posted:

Just saw this as I was about to ask. I'm doing the Ireland thing and I see some people have the bottom three provinces as one solid unit. I have all three, with me, my son, and my other son in charge of them. How do I make them all a little "kingdom"? What is the tipping point before I have to be lord of Ireland or whatever? And what do I have to do to get people to accept vassalage for me? I can beat them in combat, but I'd rather not.

So what you are talking about having all of them as one unit is the dukedom of Munster. Most dukes are not independent(they usually serve a king) but Ireland isn't like that.

If you look at the screenshot I circled probably the two most important things new people can learn, when you click a province of land(a county) it will show you the dukedom & kingdom they belong to. This is even if the duke or the kingdom don't exist yet. If you click the shield, then click the de jure button it will show you all land that is part of that title. If you control 50% of that, you can claim and legally go to war over the rest.

The bottom one is always the duke and the top the kingdom. In this case the duchy of muster is Desmond, Ormond, and Thormond. The kingdom is uh all of Ireland I think?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 22, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like I finally know enough of what the hell in doing to make the move to CK2+ but are there any issues with the newest patch?

I know a guy released a hot fix but I mean are there any known major bugs outstanding?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Even though outdated that LP provides a very good road map on what to do as it guides you from action to action.

Knowing what to actually *do* in your first game, because if you naturally just explore menus it is easy to get overwhelmed in feudal terminology gobbledygook and stats.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The HRE emperor is a catholic heretic, but besides that, he is a cool dude. As his vassal is there any way I can have an influence on turning him back to vanilla Catholicism?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing I've started to wonder.

The game's version of the Crusades is, the Pope basically tells the Christian nations, "Hey, send troops to the Holy Land!" and so everybody does, and because interaction options are basically limited nobody actually communicates any ideas for strategy or how to effectively ally against the Islamic empires. In my experience it's always been "Go over there, win for a while, then the Muslims get their poo poo together and send a loving huge force and everyone dies and the warscore drops, but not enough that the Pope ever gives up or anything."

Is this how it actually happened? Because it would explain why history went the way it did.

Yea pretty much, it was a bunch of private armies lead by all sorts of nobles. Obviously the ones who communicated with each other more were the 'successful' ones.

Kodo posted:

I didn't see this in the OP, but this dude has coded keyboard shortcuts all along the bottom row of the keyboard. Just watching this video has made my mouse weep with joy. Link to download can be found in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZsy__cp2eQ

Whoah this is great, should be consider for the OP.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 13, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Anticheese posted:

Out of curiosity, is there any way to get around the "x must not marry an infidel" penalty to arranging a marriage between a Catholic leader and a Muslim bride? You used to be able to do that, and I want to try for a completely ahistorical Muslim Ireland again.

Can you invite your future Muslim bride to court then marry her?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can anyone give me a short brief of what I should be aware of in CK2+?

I just started my first game with it and I appreciate the new options but some changes I can't see until its too late. For example I married one if my council members who had the get married ambition and I was counting on the 'helped fulfill ambition' relation bonus but that modifier appears to be removed.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Yureina posted:

gently caress. I guess that means my precious Game of Thrones mod is gonna get broken again. :(

Just right click on CK2 in your steam library -> Properties -> Updates -> Do not update.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
:( A week ago I put together a set of mods and was very happy with how they all turned out. So when the announcement for the patch was released I set CK2 to not update and thought I was set to weather the storm and keep playing my save without issue. Unfortunately as of today (the first time playing since the patch was released) CK2 crashes on the initial loading screens.

Is there a magic voodoo dance/ritual I can preform to get this working? I'd rather not have to get the steam patch, wait for the mods to update and apply them all again.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm count of Bourbon(with some additional counties), my liege is duke of Aquitaine who is a drooling moron child hated by all. I figured it's a good time to move up in the world and become an independent duke, but I can't do it alone. I just need some help so, if I start an independence faction I could get a few dudes on my side and we could make a run at it but I can't create any factions at all. What governs when you can form independence factions? Playing vanilla 1.11.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 31, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I would like to request some medieval legal council:

What are the rules regarding random? Previously I have paid to release my vassals or my courtiers from prison from the diplomacy screen of their jailers, no problem. This time is a little different. I'm just a 3x count of Burbon under the duke of Aquitaine(who is a vassal of the king of France). The duke of Normandy has been locked up by the king of France for a while now(wrong side of a rebellion) and I would like to bail him out if possible. I'm married to the duke of Normandy's sister and the guy did me a solid by helping me stomp some other counts a few years ago, so I feel I owe him. But if I go to the king of France in the diplomacy window I can't get him out, nor can I do it from the duke of Normandy page. Is this dude destined to rot in prison forever?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jazerus posted:

There's no way to get him out with diplomacy between you and the king, but if you give a landed prisoner enough gold to get out they generally will if their jailer is interested in ransom and not just holding them forever. Or their regent might spend it on construction, but them's the breaks.

Walliard posted:

Since he's landed, he has to pay his own ransom. Try giving him gifts of money until he has the 135 needed.

Good advice, thanks guys. I gave him a bunch of cash to make bail but the king of France must have not been keen on letting a major player in a rebellion out of jail. I feel like I did what I could, too bad he ended up getting killed in prison. However I scooped up some claims through his sister(my wife) when he died so it all ends well. RIP dude, with stats of mainly 0. You may have been stupid as dirt but you helped me when I needed it.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 2, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Got back into CK2+ now that patching is stable and the continuation dudes seem to be headed in the right direction:

Anyone got some tips for early game in CK2+ as a multi-count? With the heavy nerf to fabricating claims(my 18 diplomat has been unsuccessful for 50+ years) I'm having a really hard go of expanding. Expansion via pressing claims is very limited until I become a duke because everyone will be the same titular level as me, and therefore become independent. I've tried to butter up to the kings and always side with them in civil wars hoping I might get some free hand outs, but so far only tax breaks. I busy my time being a general nuisance to all the mega dukes, embezzling and long term marriage dynasty planning but I need more. Once I clutch that duke title I'll be satisfied, I'm sure!(until I don't like the king of course)

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 12, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

chippocrates posted:

Are there any known issues with chancellors not being able to fabricate claims. My 20+diplomacy chancellor was unable to fabricate a claim on a province despite being there for 10 years. Is this just bad luck or is there something I haven't considered?

Bad luck probably, although it could be possible that something else is going on via your total size/chancellors traits.

For example: I had a 23 diplomacy superstar who spent his 20 year career trying to forge claims in Brittany, never produced anything. After he died I had to replace him with a 10 diplomacy chancellor from the dredges of my vassals. Within one year this no talent dweeb had successfully forged a claim.

Perhaps your chancellor is too qualified . He's trying hard to come up with legit claims, when instead you need a barely literate lackey to scribble 'he's da real king <picture of your ruler>' in crayon on the side of a barn.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 19, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can someone elaborate on how titular titles work in CK2+?

Starting in 866 in France I've managed to consolidate the northern area into the Kingdom of France by booting out the Karlings. When I got a notice to form the 'Kingdom of The Franks' I did so, I can always use the prestige and figured creating new titles with no power (de jure) was the medieval version of bullshit resume padding and thought that appropriate. Now that I've already done it, I would like to understand what I've done.

Is there a list that includes all the titular kingdoms/empires and what lands comprise them?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Alectai posted:

Okay, it's looking like I can't load my saves anymore as of year 951/952ish. Is this normal? Because I click the save and the whole game freezes.

This might sound stupid but: how long have you waited after clicking it?

If your playing on an older/lower powered PC it might take a while. When I select a save it freezes everything up for 10 seconds, but then I can play fine. I think I saw someone mention that CK2 stores all save info as some huge mega log of all the characters so it can grow to huge sizes over time.

Hopefully you didn't doing anything regarding mods/patching them because that usually blows up saves.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Was there a patch that somehow escaped my notice and ruined my CK2+ game? Or maybe this is a bug or something I don't understand:

The math on the Opinion Vs Laws for levy calculation doesn't add up. Also all of the holdings in the newly acquired Gere have 0/0 levy. I've reloaded and waited a few months for it to fix itself but no dice. I was digging this dynasty too :( Is this my punishment for my ugly borders?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

WYA posted:

A couple years ago I could create a titular kingdom title (Kingdom of York) but I cant anymore now, what gives? Dont know what changed :(

Can you use the title search button on the bottom right to find it? Just type "York" and click on it to open the title screen. Then you should be able to hover over create and see what the requirements are.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In SoA are they making any kind of tweaks to orthodox Christianity?

I'm about to start a Byzantine game, but I figure I'll hold off if there are some cool changes coming for them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kersch posted:

So the CK2+ continuation team removed the gender equality submod and is currently spending alot of effort on unlocalizing the game? Nice!

Correct, but at least there is one guy on the team who agrees that some people don't want to try and decipher alphabet soup titles so he is making a normal version of the titles file for people to use.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Rumda posted:

Not really the big thing with CK2+ was that it had a good idea about what it wanted to do, namely provide more flavour and options and reduce blobbing speed, and only changed things if they match that philosophy, or were seriously broken, this new team has thrown that out the window. The actual changes they have made thus far are just the symptom of the rot within.

Could you elaborate on what specifically you don't like about more recent versions? I'm still a few patches back and waiting for the dust to settle before updating ck2 in general.

My understanding of the major new ck2+ changes people hate are the new moon language titles (which one of devs said he would've making non localized versions) and new map borders that look dumb (I've read you can delete a file to fix this).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm still rocking an old pre-Sons of Abraham version of CK2+. Have all the kinks from the newest DLC been ironed out in both the base game and in CK2+ to the point where I should update and join the future of India?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

VostokProgram posted:

Just bought this on the Gamefly sale, and some of the DLC. Should I start in 867 or 1066 for my first-ever game?

1066 Ireland is a great start.

And here is the gold standard of CK2 tutorials/lets play. A lot has changed, detail wise, from when this LP was made, but it is a great road map to follow along. Try to navigate a bunch of medieval laws and rules is daunting for your first play through.
http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Has the post CM patching calmed down? I've been riding on an old pre CM version because the impression I got from the thread was that the balance changes were kind of rocky.

• Locked thread