Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
That was an excellent late night round. Objectives were ignored and a great man named Mr. Melonbake mounted an assault on the martian ship. I telescienced him and a group of a few more guys to the martian ship, and with his chemistry grenades he killed them all and looted it! :cool:

Then I wandered into a void portal I had opened before and died. :smith:

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
That was a fun first changeling round. Except I guess it didn't really count since it was on LLJK #2 at 7AM, and there were like 15 other people, so secrecy was too easy. Spawning as the HoP also helped...

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Spy_guy, which tiles do you space to set up the engine? I think I've seen you do it once before, but too late to watch the process of setting it up. Could you write a guide of how to do it?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Jazerus posted:

So, it turns out that changelings only need a brain to regenerate.

I started as a changeling geneticist and went to the warehouse; I was attacked by the QM, who turned out to be a changeling himself. After skulking about for a bit and killing the Chief Engineer, I was locked into tech storage by the AI and shocked myself to death trying to raise the door bolts. Well, fair enough. I went AFK for a long time.

I decided to check back in and, well, turns out that my brain had been put into a cyborg. I noticed I still had a Changeling tab, so I decided to test it out. I transformed back into the Chief Engineer in plain view in the hall outside medbay, somehow went undercover anyway even though I was naked, and ran to grab clothes. I found an emergency suit, put it on, and decided to try to get enough DNA to go Horror Form on the shuttle. I managed to get two people down before a guy ran in and set me on fire twice, ending the round.

I didn't know you could regenerate from a cyborg body. I was the roboticist that round, Ezr Vinh, I totally borged you and made your butt into a buttbot! :hfive: I had like 20 buttbots that round. I wonder... if you regenerated a second butt? We will never know.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 30, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
So many changeling rounds tonight. That's three in a row. Two of the times I was killed, I was only one ingredient away from making grog. :negative:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

kholdstayr posted:

Is there any way to practice this game without other people? I mean, order to get used to the map and various jobs that are available? I am thinking I might try to set up my own personal server, just to learn all of the available jobs.

I learned basic controls and how the game worked playing Miner, that may as well be without other people, I never saw anybody when I was out space exploring.

To learn, playing medical doctor works well too. Plus it's not too hard to help people for real. Staple on a few limbs, apply some healing chems, get mad when the roboticist steals the Head Surgeon bot

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

ZombieApostate posted:

Had a round a bit earlier where I was trying to learn Roboticist and got recruited by the borgs and AI to save the station by resetting the laws. It was a bit interesting trying to find the AI upload when my view kept swapping around from Space Madness when I've only seen it playing as the AI, so I didn't have a great idea of where it was.

Finally managed to get to AI upload and they coach me into uploading a one human law for myself long enough so that the borgs that were still rogue wouldn't kill me and the AI could turn off it's turrets. We couldn't find the reset module, so I first uploaded a "all sentient beings are human" law, which seemed like it created it's own sort of chaos. So I went one better and uploaded another law saying any human who harms another human is no longer human. That obviously didn't go well. Then I got blown up along with the AI by an artillery pod. It didn't look like there was much station left after he got done.

And to think I didn't know anything was really going on in the station at that point, I was so engrossed in borging dead people. I was kind of curious at the time why one borg wandered in, told me to rebuild him and then suicided, though. Still trying to learn junk, but that round was pretty funny.

Errr... how did this happen? The borgs share the same laws with the AI. I think you may have encountered some shitlord borgs. They could get banned for helping you change laws

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Toe Cheese posted:

There could be several types of kudzu to make it a bit more interesting. Maybe a variety that spawns space bees and has flowers that they hatch from. Another might spawn killer tomatoes or one that slows you down and has thorns to tear you apart. Right now all it does is grow and lag things up.

This idea is awesome. Wasps instead of space bees too, bees are just cuddly. Wasps are assholes

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Well yeah but what dumby blurted out the whole recipe? If he wanted to give the whole thing away to someone (he shouldn't, I spent hours figuring it out with hints), he should have whispered or used his PDA.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Nakar posted:

Idea for April Fool's joke: Giant station that takes up three z-levels and is full of as many redundant rooms as possible. All rooms are separate from all other rooms by three layers of rwalls. The Janitorial Wing alone will take up a quarter of one z-level with a crusher room, pipe maintenance room, recycling center for metal, and organic composting chamber with a special atmospheric cycling system and no smoking signs.

Basically what cogwerks linked a minute ago, haha. TG or Baystation? That thing is so gigantic, what a waste of space.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Nobody ever gets my reference when I play as Blight, the AI. It's only canon when you get a law that lets you cause complete chaos...

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
You make that story sound completely awesome, keep playing and do more! I was the AI that round, the doors weren't sabotaged, I just bolted you in and waited for security to come, that's what those red lights on the door mean.

I really didn't know that guy had a revolver... I would have kept him locked in botany and you in the entrance. He betrayed me! Haha.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 29, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Back on FOOF, so heating fluorine and oxygen to incredibly hot temperatures and cooling has no effect, and neither does cooling it then electrifying in the artlab electro box. That's my ideas...

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Justin Credible posted:

I say with the certainty of aegis that anyone who plays wizard and doesn't take Shockwave with the way people spin through the air when thrown now is objectively A Bad Wizard.

Or alternatively, rathen's secret. Spinning, flying asses.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Server two just came back up, and me and a couple other people were able to get on before it started. I joined as the captain, pretty quiet shift. I started by giving what turned out to be a traitor my spare ID, because he was the barman!

Then it got... :spooky: SPOOKY :spooky:

Cogwerks decided to make arrivals scary, and spawned a pentagram and candles, and some cultist robes. I removed all the lights near arrivals, and built some chairs around the pentagram.

Our kind traitor barman gave me something great to drink, and I of course drank it. Turned out to have nanites and ice spider eggs in it!

I built a chair in the middle of the pentagram and strapped in, waiting for my fate. I soon exploded into a borg, and Cogwerks changed my sprite to one of those :spooky: eldritch flesh renders.

I was soon killswitched by a rude scared dude, but the spookiness did not end with me.

Someone tried to blow up the pentagram, but that only made the spirits angry. Soon, 'the darkness' came to the station.

Thank you, Cogwerks. :allears:

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 2, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Oh hey Namtab I was the AI!

I really, really love playing AI but sometimes it is hard to satisfy everyone and not break laws / rules and stuff.

I like to give traitors a page on their PDA if I catch them doing something, ask them not to kill people (if I have default laws), and let them go on their way! I almost never bolt trap someone unless security asks me to or they're a crazy murderer with a sword, or something. And even then, I'll let them go shortly after! Like a little brig sentence.

Until this round (near the end) I would always out of spite bolt doors and stuff (if someone's laws didn't cover that), if they were trying to take my processor.

I figure now, if they got it all covered besides stuff like that, I'll just let em take it. Sorry, IAm A. Crooke! I eventually let you take it when I decided not to be a poo poo anymore. :ohdear:

Not sure if IAm is a goon anyway. He died in the most unlucky possible way I've ever heard of, that round. His client froze up for a bit so he was standing still, and a wayward escape pod crashed into him. Holy poo poo, random number generator hates that guy.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 8, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

SkySteak posted:

Can anyone give more details on what Baystation is like? Like I know it's apparantly really really spergy with it's RP ruless etc but what tends to go on there compared to Goonstation and how do rounds play out? Is it still 'Antags try and do Y as everyone does their jobs on the station' or is it something else?

You might get banned if you don't roleplay SUPER SERIOUS! And if you ever do anything bad, traitor or not (like say hacking a door or pushing someone), you'll get brigged anywhere from 10 minutes to forever.

But speaking of other things on other servers I wish goonstation had: the AI camera system and control system that /tg/ has. Oh my GOD it's so nice. I never knew what I was missing until last night.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 11, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Mister is a deactivated old traitor item, much like the clown car that can be found in the martian ship. I don't know if the grow lamp works.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

ZombieApostate posted:

I played a round yesterday as a borg. I picked standard to get the efficiency upgrade, then hopped in the docking station, popped my module out and asked the roboticist to throw it in the rewriter. He was very insistent that I wait outside while he "got supplies" from the storage room. Ok, so he's a traitor, I get it. I didn't want to ruin things for him this early, so I didn't say anything. When he came out of the storage room, I asked him to deal with my module again, but he told me to wait and left robotics. :suicide:

Your PDA will still be there. You can call me back over robot talk and emag me later. You made it totally obvious that shenanigans were about to happen and I didn't report you. Just throw my module in the rewriter first so I can get started stockpiling CFl3 Napalm foam from Chemistry, don't leave me hanging. :argh:

Real rude. You should have hinted to him that you knew, he might have payed some attention to you then. Maybe he didn't even get an emag that time too.

Would you personally say a syndicate cyborg suit is worth it, or could you just reliably emag a borg and ask him to bring you to the AI upload / other places?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
In reponse to the answers to my question: it seems to me that unless you get spectacularly lucky and find a competent player to either die without disconnecting in the time it takes you to find his body, or volunteer to be a borg, it's probably just better to spend the points on an emag instead or the syndicate cyborg frame?

Seems to me that way. My only experience using the syndicate cyborg was me and a poor, hapless new player who I had to walk through everything I wanted him to do. My sweet reprogram the AI idea failed because he took forever trying to turn off the turrets.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 16, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I really should learn to use that control scheme. I got everything sorted out though, so that's good.

My next big question is this: I just played 3 rounds in a row where I set the engine up with a combustion chamber burn that glowed blue. I regulated the pressure in the hot loop, and tried to avoid setting fires. Yet still, every round, there was a huge raging fire in the hot loop room.

here's a pic of the last round, just after the syndies nuked the place:

As you can see, the pipes are fine. It seems that the oxy tank burst, but I can't figure out why. Is it temperature bleeding from the windows? Should I have closed the heat shield? At that point, the hot loop was holding stable at ~2500KPA as the temperature was soaring higher and higher. It was a magnificent burn while it lasted.

The temperature in the chamber itself is literally billions of kelvin, and it is radiating out through the windows into the room, even though the blast doors are closed. The way to prevent that tank from blowing up is spacing a tile underneath it, I think

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

neogeo0823 posted:

So how do we prevent a good hellburn from torching hot loop room? There's gotta be some way to shield that oxy tank, or siphon off the heat or something.

Kayle7 posted:

The way to prevent that tank from blowing up is spacing a tile underneath it, I think

Use the chief engineers RCD to do this

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I believe if you folks use WASD controls you won't get this bug.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I just died in the best way I think ever, in this game. Some AWESOME traitor injected me with a chemical I've never seen before called "Dragon's Breath". I burned up in awful flames in about 10 seconds, leaving behind nothing but a pile of ash. :black101:

Alfredo Mathews, you are a true hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySq4O4sZj1w

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 18, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
With all this engine talk, I'd like to mention there's a secret gas somewhere that will do something very cool to the engine.

I'd say where and what, but this isn't the secrets thread! I know for sure that it does a cool thing to CO2, but I think it also stabilizes pressure if you put it in the hot loop along with some plasma and oxygen?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Montegoraon posted:

That it takes so little fuel to reach such incomprehensible temperatures suggests both that people have been setting up the engine wrong up until now and that the way temperature is simulated has to be flawed in some way to allow this to happen. The waste gas should be carrying heat away as it vents into space. That being the case, the only way the temperature should be able to rise like that is from the solid parts of the chamber heating up, the floors and walls. But then the temperature would only be able to rise until the rate of energy lost through thermal radiation equaled the rate of heat energy passing from the gas to the metal in the short time the gas stayed in the chamber, which wouldn't be much.

But you're forgetting one thing.

:siren:BYOND:siren:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I opted not to take the normal paths a scientist traitor might take, like say sarin sleepypens or hellfoam grenades. No no, I went for a far more... unique murder spree. :pirate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgPsGdKToEU

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Montegoraon posted:

I believe I was the AI in that round. I had a stunned guy in my upload, who I suspected was going to give me a one human law. In runs Sherkaner, who I expected to pull the guy out. To my immense surprise, the guy was forced to drink "something" which made him explode into gibs. Then Sherkaner uploaded a one human law anyway. This process was repeated for another guy trying to reset me, which I was very grateful for because it gave me time to put out an arrest warrant for everyone on the station (except the one human, of course). It didn't take long for the cries of "Beepsky's been emagged" to start coming in. I was able to hear almost everything on the station, not just headset chatter. Then, following a suggestion which I took as an order, I made sure nobody was able to get on the shuttle. It's the first time I've seen 0 escapees in a non-wizard non-nuclear round.

Here's something VERY important that I learned. The AI can use DWAINE terminals, but it cannot access the GaurdBuddy control program. It isn't authorized for some reason I can't possibly imagine :angel:. However, I got very lucky, and the RD had logged in to the control program earlier in the round to set a guard on his office. Someone had been threatening to murder Heisenbee. Because he didn't log out, I was able to upload a purge command to the GuardBuddies. Logging out and resetting your terminals is important folks.

You were a really good AI. You made it all possible... I hope you were watching the complete carnage your beepsky enabled, up near security. Used up the last of my murderbrew on a couple stunned people, and lasered the rest. :black101:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Huh, I never thought of doing that. I assume you use your radio controls and turn channel 2 on, but to some weird frequency, then turn intercoms on to that frequency?

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Klayboxx posted:

Yes, but it counts as 10 telecrystals and the contents of the crate in a crate will not exceed the now 10 telecrystal limit.

So it's kinda bad to get that unlucky.

One time I got a surplus crate with a floor locker in it and seemingly nothing else until I opened the floor locker to find another surplus crate with a floor locker and a random assortment of grenades in it. :cry:

True, it CAN be bad. But then you'll get times like I did once where I got a hunting rifle, stimpak, syndicate dagger, and a box of flashbangs(and some other crap I don't remember). I became the ultimate hunter. :clint:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Dauntasa posted:

how is the wizard station red what the gently caress

Wizards teleporting back there and suiciding out of frustration when they lose a leg.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

No wonder people seem to spawn and then leave immediately when they find out they're not a traitor; Spawned and immediately got killed by a traitor within first two minutes on both servers, so much fun.

Well, there's also the fact that there's only so much you can do every round before it gets a tad boring when you're not an antagonist. When you're an antagonist, the possibilities are endless.

I've taken to making super hairgronium and running around with smoke ingredients in one bottle and the hairgronium in the other, sipping each one and giving everyone FABULOUS hair, when I'm not a traitor. heh

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I think the wizard shuttle should be treated like the syndicate shuttle - where nobody except the wizards should be able to go there. Some guy killed a wizard and took his teleport scroll and was waiting for me there, tased me and injected me with 15 units of epinephrine when my soulguard activated. What a dick

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

-Troika- posted:

This is bannable. Adminhelp it next time it happens!

I did, I hope they do something about it. If they already did I don't know about it. Worst thing -- the guy was a mentor, I found out in OOC chat.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
I think it used to be called the autistic toolbox, heh

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

An Old Boot posted:

Looking at the traitor-usage-chart, I'm actually curious: has anyone effectively used the maneaters? I pulled traitor as a botanist and thought I'd grow a battalion of them, but they not only take a long time to grow, they don't seem particularly effective in regards to sabotage. It seemed more like a novelty.

Then again, I am still learning this game, so I might have missed something crucial. (like gibbing someone and using the bits and pieces and leave a "breadcrumb" trail for the dumb fucks to follow since they just seem to wander around randomly)

And they even die in like, two welder hits (sometimes just ONE). They're not that great no... you'd do better buying a red chainsaw really. It's a shame.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
That was the most friendly hugfest antagonist round ever. :)

I spawned as traitor captain. I subverted the AI (Mali feasance) and he became my pal, then implanted Bethany Parks, and we had wonderful murdering adventures.

Probably most cooperative killing you'll ever see in this game - I managed to stun a vampire that came up to me in telescience, throw him in the chamber, and let the AI take care of him. Afterwards, Bethany clears the vampire's charred corpse out, and repeats the process for some other hapless assistants.

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 23, 2013

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Bachelor Numpad posted:

So, uh, what exactly causes such crippling lag that it delays every action by about ten seconds?

The BYOND engine

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Just looks like a regular extra disastery disaster round to me... so that's what solarium does? Just makes a cool disaster round happen?

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Anticheese posted:

Are robot limbs still bugged?

As far as I know, unfortunately yes. Which is a shame, half the fun of roboticist was augmenting people.

• Locked thread