Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IGotMine
Feb 12, 2009
I'd like to note that I am drinking the last of some Coruba directly from the bottle and I've never made a better choice in my life.

For content, and for anyone curious, it's got a lot of burnt sugar up front, and a solid tart rumble in the background. Surprisingly little burn, really delicious. It's cheap enough to mix with but honestly it is fantastic on its own. I highly recommend it.

I'm really curious to try Smith and Cross - I saw a bottle of it for $30ish at the local liquor warehouse and I can't wait to lay my hands on it when I go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This may only apply to Hawaii goons, but I just realized how much Old Lahania gold rum I've gone through over the past month. Stuff is cheap and reliable, no exceptional flavor to speak of, but conversely, no hints of cheap nastiness either. It goes for about 16$ a bottle locally. It's kind of the Seagram's VO of rum, while there's nothing really good about it, except the price, there's absolutely nothing bad about it either. Definitely more of a mixing spirit than a straight drinking spirit, but it's about the best thing to mix I've ever found. Well, other than Bombay dry in Singapore slings.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

What was the first legal drink I bought the day I turned 21? A bottle of Pusser's rum, of course. It's so molassesy. None of my friends like it. My dad does, though.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
We did a blind taste with the following:
- Zaya 12
- Mount Gay 1703
- Mount Gay Black Barrel
- Pusser's
- St. Theresa 1796
- El Dorado 12

Zaya barely won, but almost everyone knew which one Mount Gay 1703 was because it just tasted so balanced. Zaya won because there were a number of folks who weren't into spirits so they appreciated the chewy caramel/vanilla flavors of Zaya. St. Theresa was the worst, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it for the price tag. The whiskey drinkers in the group preferred Pusser's.

All in all we didn't really have a theme for the tasting and we left out some interesting ones that I'd love to blind taste later but it was a good time and we finished off with a bunch of different dark & stormies.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I was under the impression bundy can't even be legally sold as rum overseas due to our lax appellation laws wrt rum or is that an urban legend?

Either way inner circle is a good drop but its pretty laughable to say some of the worlds best rum comes from here when those are the only two major players. Even the mt tambourine distillery's crack at a gold rum was pretty weak and they're the most consistent small distiller I buy from around here

Selling Bundaberg rum internationally should be a war crime. It's taken me years to even think about drinking rum again after high school years in QLD where there was pretty much nothing at parties except that sugary gross hell syrup, and even now I get that horrible closed throat barfy feeling if I even smell some clownshoe's nasty rum at a bar.

I've got a bottle of Pussers here that's been gathering dust for five years; I don't really know what to do with it though. I don't want to open it and then be unable to drink it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

slingshot effect posted:

I've got a bottle of Pussers here that's been gathering dust for five years; I don't really know what to do with it though. I don't want to open it and then be unable to drink it.

Pusser's is wonderful, just try it. I don't remember it being very sweet and I got a lot of date and raisin from it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

IGotMine posted:

I'm really curious to try Smith and Cross - I saw a bottle of it for $30ish at the local liquor warehouse and I can't wait to lay my hands on it when I go back.

Man go get the Smith and Cross immediately. If you were that into Coruba (and that's totally appropriate, since Coruba rules) you will be over the moon about Smitty.

The Polish Pirate posted:

We did a blind taste with the following:
- Zaya 12
- Mount Gay 1703
- Mount Gay Black Barrel
- Pusser's
- St. Theresa 1796
- El Dorado 12

Zaya barely won, but almost everyone knew which one Mount Gay 1703 was because it just tasted so balanced. Zaya won because there were a number of folks who weren't into spirits so they appreciated the chewy caramel/vanilla flavors of Zaya. St. Theresa was the worst, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it for the price tag. The whiskey drinkers in the group preferred Pusser's.

All in all we didn't really have a theme for the tasting and we left out some interesting ones that I'd love to blind taste later but it was a good time and we finished off with a bunch of different dark & stormies.

This sounds like a blast. Your theme was "Barbados and Venezuela, plus El Dordado" which isn't actually a bad theme. You could also call this theme "Mellow and rich, plus Pusser's" which is another good theme.

slingshot effect posted:

You know that it won't go bad if you open it. Also if you know anyone who is even vaguely into rum you can give them that Pusser's and they will be super grateful. Pusser's makes a great Old Fashioned, and is nice with fresh coconut water as well. The Painkiller, which is a classic Pusser's drink, calls for coconut cream, orange juice, and pineapple juice, along with a dusting of fresh-grated nutmeg on top. That's a great one, but it requires a blender and some fiddly juices.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Missing Name posted:

What was the first legal drink I bought the day I turned 21? A bottle of Pusser's rum, of course. It's so molassesy. None of my friends like it. My dad does, though.

I like it, too. :corsair:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I like it, too. :corsair:

I also like scotch, Deep Purple and Dragnet.

...gently caress, I'm an old man already!

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah painkillers are an excellent use of pussers and also makes one of the better hot buttered rums I've made, just make yr butter/spice mix really vanilla heavy and not too sweet and you're set

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Decided to blind taste test a couple of the better rums I have tonight.

In order of preference I would rank them 1) El Dorado 21 2) Angostura 1824 3) Havana Club Selección de Maestros.

The El Dorado was the perfect blend of sweetness for a neat rum, the Havana Club was a little spicy for my personal tastes.

But, they all were great rums.

Devoz fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 27, 2013

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a bottle of Lemon Hart 151 yesterday since it seems to be an essential ingredient in tiki recipes, but I found that it also tastes really good on it's own. It packs a punch so I think I'll probably dilute it with a little water or ice it and make an old fashioned. I'm thinking that chocolate mole bitters would go well with it since it already has an after taste that reminds me a lot of sweetened coffee.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Zaya is described as a particularly sweet rum, and I've tried it and found that it's pretty good, but my taste buds prefer things to be really sweet. So, is there anything sweeter than Zaya? Or will I have to start mixing in actual sugar if I want to increase the sweetness any further?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Plantation Barbados 20th Anniversary is one of the sweetest rums I've tried (without it being actually sweetened bullshit). It's pretty expensive and fairly rare, but it's very nice. Other than that, El Dorado 5 Year is super rich and pretty sweet, probably at least on par with Zaya, perhaps sweeter. You should try an Old Fashioned with the Zaya also, if you want it to be sweeter.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Got a flask of el barrelito that I took to the beach today, it's absolutely fantastic. A friend hand carried it from Puerto Rico, I don't know if it's distributed in the states.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Welp, the vacation rental we go to to play board games every year had about a third of a big jug of Goslings. So, instead of going out and finding a different dark rum for the War of the Ring Dark n Stormies, I just used that. I used about 2 oz of rum for an 12 oz ginger beer, and people said it worked perfectly for them. Is that a reasonable mixing ratio? I personally thought the rum was a tiny bit light, but of course my friends tend to like the taste of the ginger beer to shine, so I wasn't 100% sure.

Went over well, so really I'm not asking too much of a question, more wondering what people usually do.

It's the Reed's extra ginger brew, as an aside.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gosling's is canonical in Dark and Stormies, so no harm there. The typical ratio for long drinks (a class of which the Dark and Stormy is a member) is 2 oz. spirit, 6 oz. soda. I always squeeze in a bit of lime as well.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Got a flask of el barrelito that I took to the beach today, it's absolutely fantastic. A friend hand carried it from Puerto Rico, I don't know if it's distributed in the states.

What's it like? I've never tried a Puerto Rico rum that was actually good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

Gosling's is canonical in Dark and Stormies, so no harm there. The typical ratio for long drinks (a class of which the Dark and Stormy is a member) is 2 oz. spirit, 6 oz. soda. I always squeeze in a bit of lime as well.

Ah, good to know. Yeah, I knew about the canonical part, just wasn't sure on the ratio. Sounds like I should up the rum for, at least, mine.

Long drinks, eh? What else are long drinks? Anything fun in the rumspace?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Long drinks are typically a simple combination of spirits, usually a touch of citrus, and a lengthening ingredient, which is usually, but not always, carbonated. Besides the Dark and Stormy there's the Cuba Libre (light rum, lime, Coke), the Caribeño (gold rum – ideally Barbados – lime, and coconut water), Wray and Ting (Wray and Nephew and Ting grapefruit soda), and then onto stuff like a Gin and Tonic, a Tom Collins (which adds a bit of sugar), and so on and so forth. They're easy to through together, nice and long to sip, and cold on the ice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Neat! I think of those (obviously having had G&T's) I'll try the Caribeno next; coconut water is big in my house. Thanks!

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Is there any truth to Inner Circle being Fijian Bounty rum rebottled? I'm going to Fiji in a few weeks so I won't bother picking up the green dot for $50 if I can get the Bounty for $20.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
From an article titled "Some Genial Old Drinking Customs" by Marie Kimball. The whole thing is a pretty good read, but here is a highlight:

quote:

From the time of the first settlement the Virginian had believed in his "morning draught." It was an agreeable supposition that this would serve as a protection against all rigors of climate, whether in the Tidewater or the Piedmont. Indeed, if we may believe the words of a contemporary poet, protection or fortification was necessary at frequent intervals during the day:

The cordial drop, the morning dram, I sing.
The mid day toddy, and the evening sling.

The julep early sprang into first place as desirable for an "eye opener." In 1787 the American Museum states, "the ordinary Virginian arises about six o'clock. He drinks a julep made of rum, water and sugar, but very strong." To this, in 1802, the Newport Mercury complacently replied: "Their breakfasts in New England are not of whiskey juleps, nor of gin sling, but of tea and coffee." We can imagine what would have been the good Rhode Islander's sentiments on visiting a plantation, when the little Negro arrived with a third mint julep and remarked: "Better take dis, boss, it am de last yo' all git befo' breakfast."

The morning draught was not confined to the South, however, nor to men. In 1733 the Pennsylvania Gazette took the women of Philadelphia to task for indulging in this habit: "It is now become the practice of some otherwise discreet women, instead of a draught of beer and toast, or a chunk of bread and cheese, or a wooden noggin of good porridge and bread, as our good old English custom is, or milk and bread boiled, or tea and bread and butter, or milk, coffee etc, they must have two or three drains in the morning, by which their appetite for wholesome food is taken away, and their minds stupefied. Though there be no bread in the house, and the children almost barefoot this cold weather, yet, as if drinking rum were part of their religious worship, they never fail their constant daily sacrifice."

It was in Georgia, however, that drinking was apparently done to the Queen's taste. A gentleman of Savannah might be tempted to spend his day in this agreeable manner: "If I take a settler after my coffee, a cooler at nine, a bracer at ten, a whetter at eleven, and two or three stiffeners during the forenoon, who has a right to complain?"

It remained for an Englishman, Lieutenant Anburey of His Majesty's forces, to describe a perfect day in Virginia in 1779. "The planter rises about eight o'clock," he tells us, "drinks what he calls a julep, which is a large glass of rum, sweetened with sugar, and then walks, or more generally rides round his plantation, views his stock, inspects his crops, and returns about ten o'clock to breakfast on cold meat, or ham, fried hominy, toast and cyder; tea and coffee is seldom tasted, but by the women. He then saunters about the house, sometimes amusing himself with the little negroes who are playing round the door, or else scraping on a fiddle. About twelve or one he drinks toddy, to create him an appetite for dinner, which he sits down to at two o'clock. After he has dined he generally lays down on the bed, and rises about five, then perhaps sips some tea with his wife, but commonly drinks toddy until bed-time; during all this he is neither drunk nor sober, but in a state of stupefaction."

The julep, the toddy, punch and grog followed the early American from the cradle to the grave. Every occasion, from his christening to his funeral was gaily seized upon as an excellent excuse for a "nip." The Puritans of New England and the planters of the South, whatever their other views, were united in these pleasant and time-honoured customs. We tend to think of weddings as occasions for feasting and celebrating; apparently they were nothing compared to an old fashioned funeral. The Reverend William Bentley of Salem tells us that "a prayer was made at the house, after which a dram of New England rum was regularly distributed to each person of every age and of each sex, then another prayer and dram, and then the funeral procession."

:guinness: :911:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I'm guessing that julep was made from dark rum. Sounds like a drat fine day to start the day. (I kid.)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Kenning, it's a blend of various ages and comes in at 43%. One of the better rums I've had all summer.

Those colonial Julips were likely made with Medford rum, which was a big domestic product seeing as British molasses could be had cheap and then shipped back as rum. Check out Wayne Curtis' ...and a bottle of rum for a great anthropological and socioeconomic history of the stuff.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I finally tried Flor de Caña, their Centenario Gold, which is aged for 18 years.

Probably my new favourite rum. Also going to check out these sweet ones mentioned in the last page, when I get a chance.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
The only thing we have in China is Captain Morgan's. Someone please get me out of this hell.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I know that this is probably an unpopular opinion around these parts, but I hate Cruzan blackstrap. It tastes like artificial maple syrup to me. So sweet and gross. I'm going to assume that the color comes from tons of caramel coloring rather than aging. Is Goslings pretty much the same as this?

Can we just assume that any rum categorized as "dark" on the label is simply a product of coloring and sweetening?

EDIT: Drink Smith & Cross errday.

bolo yeung fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 11, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I think I just received my proper introduction to "good" rum.

I bought a bottle of El Dorado 12 year Reserve a few days ago, waited till today to crack it open.

Made a couple of Old Fashioned's with it. 2oz of rum, tablespoon of simple syrup, 2 dashes of bitters.

Holy poo poo this is delicious. The flavor is superb. Baking spices, vanilla, oak, cinnamon, plenty of molasses. No burn to speak of, just a nice pleasant warmth in the stomach. In short, this rum is loving amazing.

I know I'm going to regret this question, but if I like the sweetness and spice of this rum, what else should I look for?

I'd also like to try a rum in an old fashioned that basically just smacks me in the loving face with molasses, what should I try next?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Hey goons, I'm not really much of a drinker but I am the extended family's ice cream maker - and one of them have requested a Rum and Raisin. Are there any good, cheap, and relatively available (I live in rural Australia, but I could probably source most things) crowd-pleasing rums that would make a nice dessert and a tipple afterwards? All the recipes I have state a 'dark rum' but beyond that I'm lost.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Happy National Rum Day everyone! Going to the Laundry Room in Vegas tonight and will be drinking more than my share.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Can anyone reccomened rums that are available in the UK though i'm in northern ireland so my possible selection might be more restricted than the mainland..... and no i'm not going near Bushmills with a barge pole. :colbert:

I tried rum for the first time a couple of years ago (stuck to Morgans until recently) and am currently devouring a bottle of Lamb's (very nice indeed) with Sailor Jerry next on the hit list.

And are any of the spiced rums worth trying?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Just Another Lurker posted:

Can anyone reccomened rums that are available in the UK though i'm in northern ireland so my possible selection might be more restricted than the mainland..... and no i'm not going near Bushmills with a barge pole. :colbert:

I tried rum for the first time a couple of years ago (stuck to Morgans until recently) and am currently devouring a bottle of Lamb's (very nice indeed) with Sailor Jerry next on the hit list.

And are any of the spiced rums worth trying?

People seem to have a love/hate thing going for Kraken. I like it with ginger beer and lime...

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

What would y'all suggest for a real daiquiri? (No, none of that frozen fruit bullshit. What the gently caress is that anyway?)

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I'm no expert, but I like Barbancourt with the juice of half a lime (to taste, limes differ so it will take you a few drinks to work out the ideal balance)and a tablespoon (level, go easy on the sugar) of sugar. dissolve the sugar in the rum, add lime, stir with ice, serve in a highball over ice, garnish with a lime wedge.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

With what I have, the best I can do is Pussers with raw sugar syrup and lime juice.

...wait, that's essentially grog.

The raw sugar syrup is nice, though.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Grog is also nice; Cap'n Aubrey prefers it to champagne. To be honest, Daiquiris and grog are essentially the same thing, just no water in the daiquiri.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Missing Name posted:

What would y'all suggest for a real daiquiri? (No, none of that frozen fruit bullshit. What the gently caress is that anyway?)

For a classic-style traditional daiquiri go for Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry, or even better, Havana Club (if you can get it). El Dorado 5 makes a memorable daiquiri, replete with toffee flavors. Honestly the safer list is one of rums that definitely should not go into a daiquiri and that list is mostly comprised of rums not worth drinking in the first place.

edit: Also I would strongly recommend shaking your daiquiris and serving them up. That aeration is an important part of the daiquiri's texture.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Kenning posted:

rums not worth drinking in the first place.

Admiral Nelson *cough cough*

But yeah, I use a shaker. The grog tastes yummy, although I hear some add cinnamon or something as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The higher the rank, the ranker the rum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Aaronicon posted:

Hey goons, I'm not really much of a drinker but I am the extended family's ice cream maker - and one of them have requested a Rum and Raisin. Are there any good, cheap, and relatively available (I live in rural Australia, but I could probably source most things) crowd-pleasing rums that would make a nice dessert and a tipple afterwards? All the recipes I have state a 'dark rum' but beyond that I'm lost.

Missed this earlier. If you can get Coruba it's a good call. Meyer's is pretty traditional for that application as well. In general when a baking recipe calls for "dark rum" the usually mean Jamaican. Lemon Hart demerara is a decent call as well.

• Locked thread