Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, because someone who lives on a farm in Southern Alberta is just like someone who lives in Edmonton--Strathcona.

The ignorance of this thread amuses me everyday. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My apology for the misunderstanding. I meant regionally diverse for landscape, climate, politics and income diversity.

I did not mean to generalize the people since every area is different.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The worst people in Ontario tend to move to Alberta and assimilate perfectly. The best people in Alberta should probably move elsewhere and give up on the province.

I'm pretty sure 15 years ago Alberta was an alright place and then the worst of Ontario had to move in.

The thing about Alberta, and Calgary in particular, is that in spite of what local and provincial politicians say, Calgary's population is very transient in nature and deep down, a large part of these newcomers don't plan on living the rest of their lives in Calgary; hell, my parents are planning on moving back to southern Ontario in the next couple of years (don't worry, they're NDP voters). The issue this creates from a political perspective is that very few people here engage meaningfully in politics at any level - just look at voter turnouts in any Calgary election in the last 20 years - because they have no personal or emotional investment in the city beyond having a job here.

Beyond that, there are huge numbers of people here who despite holding views more in line with the Liberals or NDP will vote Conservative purely by reflex or because of stupid old grudges (the Libs are gonna take ARE OIL :argh:). If it wasn't for the constant bombardment by employers and the media that Blue Knows Best (and if you don't vote for them we'll be living in Detroit North overnight), Calgary would have a very different face politically. Additonally, my wildly anecdotal evidence suggests that the only people around here who really care about politics enough to do anything about it (even if "it" is constituted merely by voting, sadly) are Conservative supporters. As such, there is a real defeatist attitude amongst left-leaning people here. Once in a while someone comes along, whips up the left and generates a pretty staggering result - like Naheed Nenshi. The sentiment is here, believe me; it's just nobody has bothered to tap it adequately.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

This column is seriously lacking in perspective. Sure we have some bad scandals breaking headlines but the idea that this is the worst month in Canadian politics is ridiculous. The FLQ or even the tensions surrounding Meech Lake and Charlottetown were much more serious national crises than anything going on right now.
The most outrageous single event in recent memory is the Toronto G20 conference imo. But May 2013 was a pretty awful month.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

THC posted:

The most outrageous single event in recent memory is the Toronto G20 conference imo. But May 2013 was a pretty awful month.

It depends on how you take the term "worst". If by worst, you mean the largest crisis, then no, this week doesn't stack up. If by worst you mean "I can't believe how many of our political elite are entitled shitheads" then is is pretty bad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The bad thing about the G20 wasn't that it was a bad month for Canadian politics, it's that it was a bad week for Canadian civil liberties. I'm pretty sure the entire political class was on the side of the police at the time, it was hardly a crisis until there was mass public outcry afterwards and the opposition saw a chance to snipe away at the CPC for gazebos.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
With Kathleen Wynne's comments about the current gong show surrounding Rob Ford, comes faint cries of "what about [FORMER LIBERAL MP] Joe Fontana, unelected premier Wynne? What about him?" from some far off corners of the Internet, like Twitter or Sun comments.

So what about Joe Fontana? I haven't really heard anything new since last month when he was last in court. Any London folks in this thread have any word from on the ground? Are the charges sticking?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
To the disappointment of no one, Rob Ford will once again skip the Toronto Pride parade.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Too much crack on display, he might flip his poo poo.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Majuju posted:

Too much crack on display, he might flip his poo poo.

:golfclap:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm at the slutwalk rally downtown and this loving fat bloke in a kilt and a legion hat is going around telling anyone who'll listen about the evils of Islam and Muslims are the real sexists don'tcha know :bahgawd:

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

THC posted:

I'm at the slutwalk rally downtown and this loving fat bloke in a kilt and a legion hat is going around telling anyone who'll listen about the evils of Islam and Muslims are the real sexists don'tcha know :bahgawd:

Ford thinks it's halloween today?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

THC posted:

This is such a pedandtic derail that comes up as a criticism of feminist efforts in Canada, and the United States. A feminist will argue that there is a problem within Canada, as to how women are treated. Let's say it's a case of sexual assault on college and university campuses, for example.

The derailer will say, "yes, but in Muslim countries women can't even leave the house without a male chaperone, so why aren't you trying to fight that fight, because it's so much worse there than it is here?"

And it's so loving disingenuous, and it drives me crazy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Leofish posted:

When people act like one can only fight one social cause at a time I just kind of shrug and hope they get hit by a zamboni.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Leofish posted:

This is such a pedandtic derail that comes up as a criticism of feminist efforts in Canada, and the United States. A feminist will argue that there is a problem within Canada, as to how women are treated. Let's say it's a case of sexual assault on college and university campuses, for example.

The derailer will say, "yes, but in Muslim countries women can't even leave the house without a male chaperone, so why aren't you trying to fight that fight, because it's so much worse there than it is here?"

Yea I totally agree. I mean of course it's disgusting that things such as that happen anywhere but it definitely shouldn't detract from the efforts of people here to fight other inequalities.

Also, there are appropriate places to raise awareness of certain ridiculous inequalities and that isn't certainly the place to do it.

gently caress anyone who treats women like poo poo, gently caress them all.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

When people act like one can only fight one social cause at a time I just kind of shrug and hope they get hit by a zamboni.

That's not even the angle they're coming from, it's worse than that. The basic premise is that the real sexists are over in [insert country here, ususally Muslim-majority] unlike liberal Canada, where sexism is over and women are just trying to get privileges. Seriously, I've seen it work on people too. A friend of mine basically said that because we aren't as terrible as Saudi Arabia, we must be OK and the people whining about civil rights here are just demanding special treatment. He wouldn't listen to any arguments about sexism or racism in Canada.

E: Well, he was more of an acquaintance in university, and a member of the CPC too.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I've seen the 'We're not as bad as X so why are you complaining?' argument used for everything from sexism to racism to poverty to academic achievement. It sucks for all of them. Like Cordyceps says, it's especially bad when it's used to gloss over real problems that exist right here in Canada.

Reminds me of the 'Why are you worrying about problem X when there are bigger problems?' stance.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Tochiazuma posted:

I've seen the 'We're not as bad as X so why are you complaining?' argument used for everything from sexism to racism to poverty to academic achievement. It sucks for all of them. Like Cordyceps says, it's especially bad when it's used to gloss over real problems that exist right here in Canada.

Reminds me of the 'Why are you worrying about problem X when there are bigger problems?' stance.

I pretty much have a great dislike of anyone that thinks either situation is alright. They are both loving reprehensible and wrong and people should hang for it. That being said you can't just say X is worse so gently caress problem why, those people really boggle the mind. As far as working on the issues you can never work on solely one at the expense of all others and by doing something like you described that idiot was doing you are really only trying to pull away from the legitimacy of both claims which is dead wrong at best and evil at worst.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Team THEOLOGY posted:

I pretty much have a great dislike of anyone that thinks either situation is alright. They are both loving reprehensible and wrong and people should hang for it. That being said you can't just say X is worse so gently caress problem why, those people really boggle the mind. As far as working on the issues you can never work on solely one at the expense of all others and by doing something like you described that idiot was doing you are really only trying to pull away from the legitimacy of both claims which is dead wrong at best and evil at worst.

How do you feel about the governments response to various criticisms by the UN over the last couple years?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cordyceps Headache posted:

That's not even the angle they're coming from, it's worse than that. The basic premise is that the real sexists are over in [insert country here, ususally Muslim-majority] unlike liberal Canada, where sexism is over and women are just trying to get privileges.
It was actually worse than that, he was saying Muslim immigrants should be deported from the country for what they might do as a result of their beliefs. If we let too many of them in they'll try to impose shawarma law and burqas and honour killings etc. Basically using a feminist rally as a platform for xenophobia.

vvv This was in Vancouver but who knows, maybe he's a jetsetting racist

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 2, 2013

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

I saw that guy at Queen and Bay a couple weeks ago. He was called out and subsequently schooled on modern feminism and racism by a lady who was passing by when he started yelling his bullshit. It was hilarious, I'm surprised he wasn't more prepared for it though, it seems like he'd get that sort of reaction fairly often.

Edit: ^^Either that or there's a clan of them. This guy definitely matched your description of the outfit at least.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 2, 2013

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
My dad is currently going on about how the Toronto Star has been acting unprofessionally throughout the Rob Ford fiasco, and espousing the journalistic integrity of the Globe and Mail :allears:

Edit: "The Globe is left of center" :laffo:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Edit: "The Globe is left of center" :laffo:

My parents spouted this to me the other day, then I reminded them they've endorsed Harper a few times now. Followed that up with links to a bunch of recent articles with a decidedly conservative spin, and the only response I got was "Oh." :geno:

At one point in time the globe was left of center, but that time is long past.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

That darn left-wing Canadian media!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

"Le Soleil (Quebec City) [39] - Recommended voting for the best local candidate."

gently caress yeah. Good on you, Le Soleil.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Yeah The Star may have only been playing catch up to a blog reporter but they really couldn't have gone ahead with "we saw this video we swear, but we aren't going to buy it" as a story. The Globe had no reason to publish their Doug Ford story when they did, either it was a valid story a year ago or it's still anonymously sourced folderol.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Lol, the Globe is left of centre. Hell, I subscribe to the Globe and Mail*, but the bias is obvious. The only way I can think of describing it is as bourgeois. It caters to very specific socioeconomic class that likes to think of itself as progressive and enlightened, but still votes for the Conservatives out of greed.

* I like reading their guest editorials, and stuff by Lawrence Martin. Plus it gives me something to read in the morning. Better than the Ottawa Citizen at least :shobon:

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Yeah, it's always astounding to me how some people can breathe fire about things being biased to the left and not be able to see the bias in what they read themselves. I guess people conflate "biased" with "doesn't agree with me".

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

JawKnee posted:

How do you feel about the governments response to various criticisms by the UN over the last couple years?

I feel like it has been shameful in some places sure, like any other government but unlike a person on a street a government has an opportunity cost to address whenever it does anything and I believe government should commit to global goals especially in the worst areas.

I don't think anyone should detract from the importance of any one file but when a government is committing resources to the world on the whole there are certainly some issues which are worse than others, what I believe is worse I'll keep to myself but I certainly am able to explain that a government has a global responsibility and a person in a city is a bit different.

(To be honest I know that isn't an incredibly well communicated answer but it's a sensitive topic and Sunday is not a super aggressive argument day for me.)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

"Le Soleil (Quebec City) [39] - Recommended voting for the best local candidate."

gently caress yeah. Good on you, Le Soleil.

Look at the article.

"Vote for the best local candidate. Oh and aren't our local Conservative MPs nice?"

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

THC posted:

they'll try to impose shawarma law

I'm okay with this.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Pickled turnips for everyone!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

angerbot posted:

Pickled turnips for everyone!

Garlic Sauce is a human right!

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

THC posted:

they'll try to impose shawarma law

where can I vote for this

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Garlic Sauce is a human right!

This is why I love Ottawa. More shawarma places than Lebanon. :kimchi:

Wait, drat, talking about food again! Uh, uh, Rob Ford should be into fracking not cracking!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Speaking of the G&M being terrible

You loving feminists got what you wanted, now who's going to scrub the dishes huh?!?!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is why I love Ottawa. More shawarma places than Lebanon. :kimchi:

Wait, drat, talking about food again! Uh, uh, Rob Ford should be into fracking not cracking!

My god, there's like 8 in a one block circle from my office, I swear.

Also, poli-chat, has everyone seen Don Martin tearing into Duffy on Powerplay?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The last 4 summers I used to buy lunch every week at this dirty old shawarma/donair hovel wedged between the Delta Hotel and the Morris J. Wosk Centre For Dialogue At SFU's Harbour Centre Campus™. It was run by this old Greek guy and he served the best goddamn chicken in the downtown core, if not the whole city.

I was dismayed last week to discover it's been replaced by a much cleaner, but massively inferior corporate franchise which serves lightly seasoned rubbery bland mystery meat out of a big metal steamer. Instead of the delicious crispy morsels of goodness shaved off a vertical spit that are promised by the word "shawarma". I hate what this city is becoming :smith:

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 3, 2013

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, poli-chat, has everyone seen Don Martin tearing into Duffy on Powerplay?
Yes, though there was something on Twitter about CTV attempting to scrub it from their website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

THC posted:

Speaking of the G&M being terrible

You loving feminists got what you wanted, now who's going to scrub the dishes huh?!?!

That article doesn't really seem to be anything like how you describe. At least on the part that's on the website, everything seems to be 'men doing more, women still doing most, people hate laundry, doing chores helps you get along with your spouse (regardless of gender)', without any judgmental statements at all. Unless I'm missing something.

Nope, I was wrong. That's a pretty despicable title.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 3, 2013

• Locked thread