Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

NeurosisHead posted:

How do you figure? Different strokes for different folks, you know? What was a big turn off for you in it?

I mean, if I went into SPG2 looking to recreate my X3 experience (not that I've had much of one because I always give up because modding the game up is tedious and I get burned out before I even click 'play' :v:) then I'd be pretty miffed too. But whoever said that SPG2 is in the vein of Freelancer is totally right.

Speaking of modding X3:AP. So we've established that the OP is mad outdated and there are no goon curated packs that are up-to-date, correct? Is AP good enough on its own that you can just play it... :cry:vanilla:cry:? What would be the best mods to get for quality of life (or are the mods listed in the OP a good start and I should just suck it up and hand-download their most updated versions myself).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
AP is basically TC with mods and a different story.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Taerkar posted:

Capturing ships is a very good way to make credits. Even gunships will sell for a decent chunk. But otherwise a bit of mining/gas harvesting in a freighter/freightliner will add up pretty quickly.

Wait, what. You do realize that you will be in a cruiser xp wise before you can be in a freighter, right? That isn't counting the roi of spending 10+m for said freighter/freightliner and then suggest to mine/gas harvest with it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

Speaking of modding X3:AP. So we've established that the OP is mad outdated and there are no goon curated packs that are up-to-date, correct? Is AP good enough on its own that you can just play it... :cry:vanilla:cry:? What would be the best mods to get for quality of life (or are the mods listed in the OP a good start and I should just suck it up and hand-download their most updated versions myself).

Honestly, unless you want to go with a total conversion, the only quality of life script you really need in the first hours of the game is turbo boost. Once you upgrade your ship to a large enough one with a turret, you'll want MARS. Once you want to start building a trade empire, you want EST or that newer better traders script, Bounce, and if you do stocks, the stock exchange hotkey. If you want to explore the galaxy in a M5 and fill out your in-game map, you should pick up Detector to scoop up the abandoned ships in each sector.

In all cases, downloading the latest from the forums is pretty much the way to go. But you don't have to download everything at the start! Most of the mods are to shave off the rough edges of the end-game trade empire, not the "I need to earn my first million" early game.

Turbo boost and maybe bounce are the only ones that alter the first 4 or 5 hours of gameplay.

Sadly, mods don't help with the impenetrable early game. Read my "FAQS and general help" section.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 20, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

False. Elite Dangerous is superior by far and it's not even finished.
This made me curious and $75 hahahaha, gently caress that. Fix your poor impulse control - don't pay 1.5x the full price of a game just for access to it in an unfinished state. Be patient.

I'm going to check out Starport Gemini 2 and report back, since it's (allegedly) finished.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Bhodi posted:

This made me curious and $75 hahahaha, gently caress that. Fix your poor impulse control - don't pay 1.5x the full price of a game just for access to it in an unfinished state. Be patient.

I'm going to check out Starport Gemini 2 and report back, since it's (allegedly) finished.

Elite is amazing. Absolutely brilliant, even in its current state. But with more save wipes and launch only a few months away, it's worth waiting.

But by all means preorder the game for launch, because Frontier have been an amazing company so far and the game can use all the support it can get.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
How intense is it system wise? I only have a medium spec laptop for gaming.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

Flight models are largely complete and people have been playing it. I personally wouldn't pay into the Beta, but they've done things 'right', and I'm drooling over what I've seen so far.

Bhodi posted:

Bind a key for the tactical overlay. It'll throw a holographic display of shields, power and ammunition around the ship. Do the easier kill missions to start with; trading seems hit or miss, but I've been mostly stabbing Orcs for the past week.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Bhodi posted:

If you're getting SPG2, then I suggest you download these mods: Re-Balanced Compilation (Cargo, Skills, & Skill Duration) and Re-Balanced Rewards & Progression.

The former adds more cargo space to the freight ships and such, making a trade-oriented character actually worth it (schlepping around 1k units of Combat Mechs can earn you ~1 mill easily!). It also moves around the skills for each class so that each one has a weapon-skill (in vanilla the gunner has all of the weapon-based skills, which is idiotic given that you're better off specializing in one weapon-type) AND makes these skills actually usable in combat by boosting the power output of every single ship--so instead of the skill lasting for ~10 seconds it will last ~60 (or indefinitely, depending on how big your ship is).

The latter mod slows down the rank progression so that you gain access to bigger ships in a much more sensible time-span (you'll actually be able to afford them by time you rank up), as well as making the ambient quests give you bigger rewards.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.

nutranurse posted:

Litcube's Universe is great. It's not just quality of life improvements, but I think it's the best "Vanilla+" experience around.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My quoted post in the OP contains a bunch of scripts that work with AP and should still be fine. Apparently it gives some kind of error after you install everything but the solution seems to be to just re-install the script that it's complaining about.

Other than that just go to the egosoft mod forum and look at their list of mods and see if you want to get anything. Most of it still works fine and the biggest problem is usually finding a link to something made half a decade ago.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

JuffoWup posted:

Wait, what. You do realize that you will be in a cruiser xp wise before you can be in a freighter, right? That isn't counting the roi of spending 10+m for said freighter/freightliner and then suggest to mine/gas harvest with it.

Freighters require Petty Officer rank (10), the same rank you need for Frigate. They're not much more expensive than a frigate, and a couple of resource runs will get you credits right quit. Get a Bohemia if you can and remember that your Power to Engines is also affected by your power distribution. If you set it to max then you'll almost always be out of an attack's range by the time the PTE Disruptor hits.

Freightliners are the ones that require Ensign like Cruisers.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Bhodi posted:

Some things are worth the money and something's aren't, especially to different people? It's one thing to say you're not willing to purchase it at 75 and another thing entirely to make a blanket statement about people buying that specific game.

When taking into account probably half the people in this thread own Rebirth and despite obsessing over space games my entire life I still do not, I think you have the wrong person with impulse control :smuggo:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
People who bought rebirth full-price after reading that it was hot garbage in this thread get my derision too :colbert:

You were warned!

Edit: I do think that the fact Starpoint Gemini 2 doesn't have it's own thread (while this one has 100 pages and elite and even star citizen has one) is a good warning of the game's overall attractiveness.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 20, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Edit: I do think that the fact Starpoint Gemini 2 doesn't have it's own thread (while this one has 100 pages and elite and even star citizen has one) is a good warning of the game's overall attractiveness.

It doesn't have its own thread because people (including me) are lazy and OPs are hard-ish work. If you're judging a game's popularity/worth based on whether or not it has an SA games thread then poo poo like Duke Nukem Forever and SimCity are better than SPG2 because of reasons. :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, they are more worth talking about. Either they are good or they are poo poo, but at least are notable.

SPG2 seems really... mediocre. I loaded it up and in 5 minutes I can see that it's got all the obtuseness of the X series but without any of the charm. It's fairly pretty but I shocked to be dumped into space after a brief intro video, with no waypoints, no instruction, and no idea even how to control my ship. The tutorial is completely non-interactive and is a bunch of tooltips that you hit next through saying basically "mouse over things on your HUD for info".

I eventually got the hang of things but aren't really sure where to go. Figured out how to dock (anchor) but mostly there doesn't seem to be a campaign even though I selected campaign mode. I wish there were a few tutorial missions that teach you how to navigate, fight, waypoints, targeting, basic stuff.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Well, they are more worth talking about. Either they are good or they are poo poo, but at least are notable.

SPG2 seems really... mediocre. I loaded it up and in 5 minutes I can see that it's got all the obtuseness of the X series but without any of the charm. It's fairly pretty but I shocked to be dumped into space after a brief intro video, with no waypoints, no instruction, and no idea even how to control my ship. The tutorial is completely non-interactive and is a bunch of tooltips that you hit next through saying basically "mouse over things on your HUD for info".

I eventually got the hang of things but aren't really sure where to go. Figured out how to dock (anchor) but mostly there doesn't seem to be a campaign even though I selected campaign mode. I wish there were a few tutorial missions that teach you how to navigate, fight, waypoints, targeting, basic stuff.

That's weird, because the campaign mode includes a pretty detailed set of campaign missions that serve as a tutorial. Heck, the last major patch had a significant portion devoted to making the first few campaign missions mesh better with the tutorial. :v:

Are you sure you didn't choose freeroam by accident?

Also, like the X series you shouldn't hesitate to mod the game up. Some of the mods make the game's systems work much better (i.e. the skills rebalancing mod).

e:I always figured SPG2 would be a sleeper-hit because it has none of the hype that Elite:Dangerous or Star Citizen enjoy. It won't take too long till you've oriented yourself, 2 hours tops if you just read through the tutorials from the beginning rather than read them as they pop up while playing campaign missions.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 20, 2014

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
That's indeed strange, nutranurse is right though, you have a bunch of tasks and tutorial elements after the initial thing that any player knew would happen in the beginning actually happens :p

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I must have faceplanted freeform mode.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

there doesn't seem to be a campaign even though I selected campaign mode.

You might have selected something incorrectly, as there's a badly voiced sequence of missions that you get throw into, and they become a series of missions that you can move through at your own pace, similar to the X campaigns.

Bhodi posted:

The tutorial is completely non-interactive and is a bunch of tooltips that you hit next through saying basically "mouse over things on your HUD for info".

It's the words other than those that you paraphrase that hold some of the informational gold. Most of what you want is on the map screen in the cluster of buttons in the top right; clicking on a waypoint in space on the map, then closing it will autopilot you to where you want to go.

During flight speed is controlled by scrolling the mouse wheel up and down; hitting 'B' diverts all power to engines, and you'll want to drop out of that early.

You have a couple of visual modes, so you can work from the point of view of your turrets, or you can work on the point of view of the ship; generally it's just easier to throw everything on 'fire at will' (F), then manuever around your target. There's some heritage in Starfleet command, in terms that positioning matters, and you should be spreading the damage over as many shield facings as you can.

Heavy weapons are limited and usually seeking. I think it's 'Z' to launch one, and you'll have to restock. The various 'abilities' are fired with 1-4; these are your pilot's specials. Consumables are on 5-8, and range from shield buffs to single use salvager swarms, the latter being not as common as I'd like.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah I got all that. What I found weird was that nav and waypoints weren't in your targeting rotation, targeting seems to be for enemies only. I was having trouble getting places, plus little things like not being in select mode when you rightclick the map to travel to causes you to change heading.

I'll give it a real try. It seems like it's getting updated fairly frequently, maybe they'll adjust the base game's leveling to match these mods.

I do like the starfleet command style shield combat; always enjoyed those games.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Hav posted:

Heavy weapons are limited and usually seeking. I think it's 'Z' to launch one, and you'll have to restock. The various 'abilities' are fired with 1-4; these are your pilot's specials. Consumables are on 5-8, and range from shield buffs to single use salvager swarms, the latter being not as common as I'd like.

'X' is to shoot heavy weapons, 'Z' just toggles your turret cameras (which, if you push 'space', allows you to freely move your camera around your ship while the ship flies in its designated direction).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

Yeah I got all that. What I found weird was that nav and waypoints weren't in your targeting rotation, targeting seems to be for enemies only. I was having trouble getting places, plus little things like not being in select mode when you rightclick the map to travel to causes you to change heading.

I'm not saying that they don't have jank. For the love of god never get curious about the first game. It's utter poo poo. Or rather the climb is not worth it.

But they are some of the nicest devs I've ever come across, and have doggedly tried to produce something worthwhile with what they have, so I given them props for that, and they have been responsive to comments where I've seen them.

Edit: ^^^ Thanks, I was a bit hazy, but I was in the vicinity. Again, I always tell people to bind the tactical overlay to something, it makes everything make more sense. I couldn't recall if I was using space/Z to change control schemes or 'tab'.

I like the Starfleet Command vibe, even though this is more Starfleet Command III. The history behind that was the insanely detailed board/war game 'Star Fleet Battles' that was played on a 'hex' map, so each ship would have six shield facings. At some point Taldren decided to make things more simple by shifting to four shield facings, which actually made it tactically quite different.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 20, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Hav posted:

I'm not saying that they don't have jank. For the love of god never get curious about the first game. It's utter poo poo. Or rather the climb is not worth it.

I bought X:BTF when it first came out and holy loving poo poo the grind. You don't even start with SETA. I don't think I ever made it past one or two gates beyond Seizewell.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I bought SPG2. It's a meh game. If you want a game like that, get Freelancer with the Discovery mod and play it single-player, it's much more balanced, has more variety, and it runs well on all computers, unlike SPG2 which doesn't have a very optimized engine.
Also you -could- play Discovery multiplayer... but I find the community insufferable.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

CitrusFrog posted:

I bought X:BTF when it first came out and holy loving poo poo the grind. You don't even start with SETA. I don't think I ever made it past one or two gates beyond Seizewell.

I just finished X:BtF recently, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. It was a bit grindy, but it's interesting enough to play through to the end of the storyline missions.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

EightDeer posted:

I just finished X:BtF recently, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as you're making it out to be. It was a bit grindy, but it's interesting enough to play through to the end of the storyline missions.

I blame it on the impetuousness of youth and fuzzy recollections. Honestly I'd probably enjoy it now more than I did then simply because I'm not an ADHD-addled teen any more.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hav posted:

But they are some of the nicest devs I've ever come across, and have doggedly tried to produce something worthwhile with what they have, so I given them props for that, and they have been responsive to comments where I've seen them.

Edit: ^^^ Thanks, I was a bit hazy, but I was in the vicinity. Again, I always tell people to bind the tactical overlay to something, it makes everything make more sense. I couldn't recall if I was using space/Z to change control schemes or 'tab'.

I like the Starfleet Command vibe, even though this is more Starfleet Command III. The history behind that was the insanely detailed board/war game 'Star Fleet Battles' that was played on a 'hex' map, so each ship would have six shield facings. At some point Taldren decided to make things more simple by shifting to four shield facings, which actually made it tactically quite different.

When I finally went to go bind a kep for tac overlay, there was one already there for me. I think one of the recent patches put it in as the del key.

Taerkar posted:

Freighters require Petty Officer rank (10), the same rank you need for Frigate. They're not much more expensive than a frigate, and a couple of resource runs will get you credits right quit. Get a Bohemia if you can and remember that your Power to Engines is also affected by your power distribution. If you set it to max then you'll almost always be out of an attack's range by the time the PTE Disruptor hits.

Freightliners are the ones that require Ensign like Cruisers.

huh, I was pretty sure freighters were higher tier as well. Then I stand corrected! Although, I've been doing pretty well with my abeja frigate. drat thing is hilarious too. Nothing says love like a 6 gun broadside of rippers.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Mokinokaro posted:

How intense is it system wise? I only have a medium spec laptop for gaming.

It seems to scale quite well from what I've read so farm and run amazing on my i7 960/660GTX. Some dude had it running some crazy low settings on what amounted to a toaster, and it ran well enough.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkVjSisA1gs

:wtc:

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?
Bought SPG2 and I'm disappointed because of the horrific memory leaks it suffers from. The game also caused first BSOD in years. Reserving my judgement until they have fixed these issues.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
...and thus was born, "flappy shuttle"...

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

When you fly into it, does it take you Out of This Dimension?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Light-headed Fool posted:

Bought SPG2 and I'm disappointed because of the horrific memory leaks it suffers from. The game also caused first BSOD in years. Reserving my judgement until they have fixed these issues.

Well, a BSOD is a very specific thing. Have you tested your RAM under stress at all recently, and let's just slide past the 'my rig does all the fps in other games'. Memtest386+ actually works, the windows memory test doesn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Star Wars, STAR WARS, not Dune!

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

It has not crashed on me once since 1.0.0.3. Did you update the client fully? I think it does it automatically but who knows. The only massively crashing version is reported to be 1.0.0.1 or the Pirated versions since they don't have the patches that fix most of the game's bugs and crashes

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?
It's the GOG version I bought and which is still waiting for the latest patch (1.0.6 or something?). I've ran MEMTEST86+ overnight and there's nothing wrong there. It's really bizarre and there are similar reports going around the Steam and developer forum.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

It's the GOG version I bought and which is still waiting for the latest patch (1.0.6 or something?). I've ran MEMTEST86+ overnight and there's nothing wrong there. It's really bizarre and there are similar reports going around the Steam and developer forum.

I've not seen those reports. BSOD (since at least the tail end of XP) is effectively an allocation error occuring in ring 0, so your problem is probably hardware or driver related OR an interaction with a driver and the game. The latter will probably get swept up in another fix rather than be specifically targetted unless you give them dxdiags and the like;

http://www.starpointgemini.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11

Random internet jerk advice: Do a round on your system drivers, so motherboard, sound, display as a precaution. If you're running a Samsung 840, they've released the fix for those - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

Sorry for the thread drift - I'll jump out for a bit.

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?

Hav posted:

Random internet jerk advice: Do a round on your system drivers, so motherboard, sound, display as a precaution. If you're running a Samsung 840, they've released the fix for those - http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/samsung-releases-firmware-update-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the 840 issue. I'm surfing off to send reports. Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Ah, thanks for the 840 update info as well.

• Locked thread