Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agenta Khaulan
Oct 12, 2014
I love this game and hate it at the same time. All the options and the economy side are awesome...forgetting to save while you are doing good just to get blasted by pirates and then lose everything...grrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Since I've destroyed my back and can't do much else atm, I'm playing a bit of x3:ap again.
I did a quick humble merch start, then once ranks were high enough did the tormented teladi start, then once completed started a poisened paranid game which I'll then use for my playthrough.

Question about engine tunings.
I've got my overtuned hyperion, which started out at 216 m/s. I given it 10 tunings so far to take it up to about 285m/s and I know I've got 5,4 and 2 engine tuning crates left.
I thought I'd give the hyperion another 2 which should take it to around 300m/s, but I'd have 9 for somethingelse.
Would putting the 9 in a boreas be the best? I think it is the quickest m2?
Or else maybe the cobra m7m if I try out some boarding?

I'm only at the start of the game about 18 hrs game time in just to get the hyperion, so a bit of time to decide.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I've put 300 something hours into my save. Most idiling. I don't really even feel like going for the xperimental now because the moon shipyard makes every ship except the thor and the X and there are stations all around terran space that sell jumpdrives. I have not actually played more than 10 hours or so. Most of it is just managing my huge merchant fleet and idling. Which in itself seems to be supercharging the terran battle. I've done pretty much no offense whatsoever except a bit in the beginning to get my trading fleet started.

I'm using the Terran Commander. The Operation Loose Ends missions give the player access to the Xperimental shuttle and player HQ right? I don't even think I could complete it at this point, the entire universe is completely changed. Seriously, I'm not even at my computer most of the time it idles.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 7, 2014

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
lol

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

quote:

You gaze out upon the once-familiar X universe with mournful, tear-drenched eyes.

Unintentional brilliance.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
What is egosoft doing about this anyway? I haven't kept up at all. Have they buried their head in the sand? Will there be an X4 or whatever back in the normal style?

Basically have they just completely jumped the shark or is this rebirth thing just something they'd like to forget while nursing a hangover?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
They are pretending that it's good and that the community just doesn't "get it".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They've been trying to polish up Rebirth the same way they have the rest of the series, but they also can't really fix the bad overall design.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

They've been trying to polish up Rebirth the same way they have the rest of the series, but they also can't really fix the bad overall design.

Part of the issue is that X3 had a lot of content by the end, because everything from prior versions was folded in.

This one suffers from a lack of content because it's built from scratch. The underlying systems are good in a lot of ways, but there's just not enough in the game, on top of the issues with the design they're having to backtrack on.

X4 or Rebirth 2 might be good but Rebirth probably won't be.

As to what there will be in the future, they haven't been very forthcoming with specifics about any future plans for either rebirth or a further game.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Dongattack posted:

They are pretending that it's good and that the community just doesn't "get it".

Mokinokaro posted:

Well that really sucks. They've kept the spacesim flame burning I was hoping they'd get with the program now we're in a mini-renaissance for the genre.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

As to what there will be in the future, they haven't been very forthcoming with specifics about any future plans for either rebirth or a further game.

Except for the Rebirth expansion which was "free" if you added it by a certain date.

EDIT: Apparently it still is

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Except for the Rebirth expansion which was "free" if you added it by a certain date.

It's for everyone that bought the game. What time limit are you talking about?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Even with that the only real info is 'it's got more stuff in it'.

In terms of actual important information about the direction of the series and if they'll put in some much needed features, it's been pretty dead.

Hav posted:

Initially, you had to sign into steam and preorder it for free before a certain date, because they couldn't work out how to do regular 'free for existing customers' with steam.

I can't recall if they figured it out or not but they may have.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Originally it was only free if you "bought" it before release. Not sure if that still stands.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It's free if you get it before release. Release is next month.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eruonen posted:

It's free if you get it before release. Release is next month.

It's poo poo like this that makes me think that egosoft metaphorically threw a clot and stroked out.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

In the Terran Plot for Albion Prelude, there is a mission where you have to acquire and deliver the Xperimental Shuttle to the Saturn research base. Do you ever get it back afterwards? By the time it reached the station, I had the ship fully outfitted. Would be a shame if all that investment was lost.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gimmick Account posted:

In the Terran Plot for Albion Prelude, there is a mission where you have to acquire and deliver the Xperimental Shuttle to the Saturn research base. Do you ever get it back afterwards? By the time it reached the station, I had the ship fully outfitted. Would be a shame if all that investment was lost.

I think you get it back later at the end of that particular quest line.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

CitrusFrog posted:

I think you get it back later at the end of that particular quest line.

That is reassuring to hear! I think I like it more than the Spitfyre.

Do OTAS ships count as Argon for identification purposes? Because the starting requirement for one of the missions is for me to show up in an Argon M3, and I was thinking of getting a Venti for that job. Don't want to buy a Nova or Eclipse that I'll never use again afterwards.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Mamba, best m3. jus sayin' bigup my split bretheren.

Eclipse are alright, bit slow, but tough. they are a bit pricy tho'. if you have npc bailing addon and scs, you can cap one, and get it going faster than usual.

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 30, 2014

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm getting back into this as it seems Rebirth is unsalvageable, last one I played was TC some 4 years ago.

I could never be bothered with the plot in X2 or either of the X3s so I'm not sure whether to pick the custom start with no plot. Does it significantly gimp the game to the point where I should at least suffer a couple of missions to open up the whole game? Playing with the Rebalance mod.

e: I should probably clarify I like the X games the most when I feel like I'm just one guy making his way in the X-Universe rather than being the Chosen One as in Skyrim and such but I do like a bit of background like the Kh'aak/Xenon being a nuisance in X2, so I don't want it to be static and sterile.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 2, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

I'm getting back into this as it seems Rebirth is unsalvageable, last one I played was TC some 4 years ago.

I could never be bothered with the plot in X2 or either of the X3s so I'm not sure whether to pick the custom start with no plot. Does it significantly gimp the game to the point where I should at least suffer a couple of missions to open up the whole game? Playing with the Rebalance mod.

e: I should probably clarify I like the X games the most when I feel like I'm just one guy making his way in the X-Universe rather than being the Chosen One as in Skyrim and such but I do like a bit of background like the Kh'aak/Xenon being a nuisance in X2, so I don't want it to be static and sterile.

The latest X game that most people think is worth playing would be, as the thread title suggests, AP 3.0, however, there are a few special sectors that are practically instant death for any of your non-piloted ships, regardless of standings, so, a cheap way of getting around that is to use the tc plots in ap mod, and chose something less centrally plot driven, I usually choose the piraty start, gives you an M3, not such a good reputation and you can unlock the plot if you wish to as you go along by improving standings and so on.

AP is still in roughly the same environment as TC, with a few GUI upgrades and extra ships.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Bhodi posted:

People who bought rebirth full-price after reading that it was hot garbage in this thread get my derision too :colbert:

You were warned!

I paid full price for the special edition after reading this thread :colbert:

edit: I wanted to support Egosoft, and I assumed they would actually fix their poo poo by the time I got around to playing it.

Atmus fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 3, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Atmus posted:

I paid full price for the special edition after reading this thread :colbert:

I have an excellent investment opportunity for you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I pre-ordered it. :(

I still boot it up every few months to see progress, when this expansion pack comes out I'll trip report on it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still think that some of the aspects of Rebirth are better than X3, like the crazy huge stations and the larger sectors (I don't really care that there's less of them because they're a lot bigger and just have more stuff in them than the X3 sectors so it basically works out even). The capital ship subsystem damage is neat too. It's just a shame about the entire rest of the game.

I don't think Rebirth is salvageable, but they could reuse the mechanics in a better way if they did a sequel with a design philosophy more like X3.

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005
Once my poor aging gaming system gets updated, this is one of the first games I am going to play on it. I started playing Litcube's Universe last time I played this awesome game. Unfortunately, my old computer turns into a a slideshow in fleet battles. I am excited for a chance to actually experience them without single digit FPS and crashes.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I still think that some of the aspects of Rebirth are better than X3, like the crazy huge stations and the larger sectors (I don't really care that there's less of them because they're a lot bigger and just have more stuff in them than the X3 sectors so it basically works out even). The capital ship subsystem damage is neat too. It's just a shame about the entire rest of the game.

I don't think Rebirth is salvageable, but they could reuse the mechanics in a better way if they did a sequel with a design philosophy more like X3.

That sequel better be the best thing to ever happen in space piloting games, because after Rebirth, lol if anyone buys it before reviews come out.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Shroud posted:

That sequel better be the best thing to ever happen in space piloting games, because after Rebirth, lol if anyone buys it before reviews come out.

Their modding community is one of the best I've seen for any game. They could just pump out a basic skeleton and have the community fill it out and end up with something amazing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slickdrac posted:

Their modding community is one of the best I've seen for any game. They could just pump out a basic skeleton and have the community fill it out and end up with something amazing.

If anything, Rebirth's primary failing was that it WASN'T this. They restricted your options too much by trying to make Rebirth into its own thing. If they'd just given Albion Prelude the engine upgrade at the expense of removing some content it probably would have gotten a MUCH better reception.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Yes, but the point is, how many of you are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when they announce their next game? Relative to other genres, space flight sims are a small community. Egosoft destroyed a lot of goodwill with Rebirth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends what they show to be honest. I agree with the sentiment that the technical chops of rebirth are pretty good, the issue is mostly in how the systems are used.

Capships, no-seta, graphics, interiors, ship upgrades, all are good, but they just aren't used to anything like the potential they could be.

If they show the systems being used better, I might consider buying it, it's not like there's anything else on the market.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I might consider buying it,

Please, wait until its on some crazy cheap sale, while its hard to accurately measure fun, rebirth has only 20% of the fun, at a far stretch, of AP.

Egosoft excelled at making large open ended frameworks for modders to fill in; AP is TC with a lot of modders work, repackaged and tweaked, and sold as a new product.
Rebirth will evolve at a dramatically slower pace, as the modding community that has supported them until now are dissapointed with some of the choices made during the design of the game.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

staberind posted:

AP 3.0, however, there are a few special sectors that are practically instant death for any of your non-piloted ships, regardless of standings

Yeah, I like the idea but hate the implementation of how the war sectors work. I'm best friends with both factions, why are my ships getting killed, and why does it only happen if I'm not there! Stupid.

Will they disappear after the Albion Prelude plots are concluded, or do I have to contend with this nonsense for the entire game? If so, is there a mod that can remove that status for an ongoing game?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

staberind posted:

Please, wait until its on some crazy cheap sale, while its hard to accurately measure fun, rebirth has only 20% of the fun, at a far stretch, of AP.

Egosoft excelled at making large open ended frameworks for modders to fill in; AP is TC with a lot of modders work, repackaged and tweaked, and sold as a new product.
Rebirth will evolve at a dramatically slower pace, as the modding community that has supported them until now are dissapointed with some of the choices made during the design of the game.

I bought rebirth at 50% off, I didn't see the point in preordering because there wasn't any incentive.

So I might wait for a sale, or if it gets a good response on launch I might get it then. Honestly I don't mind being a little more supportive to egosoft because they do make the only game in the genre, really. Even if they aren't always very good at it.

But yeah whether they can pull off another decent game does remain to be seen.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gimmick Account posted:

Yeah, I like the idea but hate the implementation of how the war sectors work. I'm best friends with both factions, why are my ships getting killed, and why does it only happen if I'm not there! Stupid.

Will they disappear after the Albion Prelude plots are concluded, or do I have to contend with this nonsense for the entire game? If so, is there a mod that can remove that status for an ongoing game?

If I recall correctly, ending one of the plots makes the area uncontested, so things calm down.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

staberind posted:

If I recall correctly, ending one of the plots makes the area uncontested, so things calm down.

That's reassuring to hear. Also, am I missing something, or are there really NO Terran shield production facilities in the game at all? I only noticed because all Terran military stations seem to have run out of any type of shield - I thought, no problem, I'll get one directly from the source... oh. Can't seem to find any such factories in the Terran shipyards, either. So what does Egosoft expect me to do here? Bring over some Argon shield production facilities and the related infrastructure? I mean, sure, I CAN do that and it'll most likely work, but did they really, really leave such a huge oversight in the third big release of their third flagship game?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gimmick Account posted:

did they really, really leave such a huge oversight in the third big release of their third flagship game?

Have you been with the series long?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Have you been with the series long?

Weird how some companies just don't seem to learn from mistakes or feedback.

Is there any way to get an Advanced Mamba or a Susanowa Prototype in Albion Prelude? They appear during some missions/as a reward in old Terran Conflict, but the only Susanowa Prototype that I encountered here was one that was flagged as invincible (and thus uncapturable) during the Xperimental Shuttle mission. The Advanced Mamba doesn't seem to appear at all, anywhere.

I need one of those specific two ships because I want a fast M3 that can mount the plasma burst generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, to be fair, they have to leave some holes in production for us to fill, but no shields at all is a bit major.

• Locked thread