Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does Litcube's let you do the same sort of stuff like bounty hunting and managing salvagers to pick up abandoned ships that npcs bail out of to save themselves (and beating npc salvage teams to the wrecks)? The thing I like about my current setup with XRM and those mods is I can completely bypass the economic empire stuff if I want, but Litcube's makes it sound like the ultimate goal is to set one up strong enough to fight back against the enemy corp/encroaching robot threat. I mostly just want to dick around with combat and exploration (and coming across a sector with what is essentially a ship graveyard to loot is awesome).

e: I just really like being able to steal the things I've fought without having to fight the lovely boarding mechanics.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You can absolutely do that in LU, and it's pretty effortless. There's also an added sort of ranking along with your usual combat rating that goes up the more you kill stuff that affects the drop rate on items. So after a while it gets to a point where every time you blow a ship up they'll drop some items, giving you a really steady source of income that scales with you into the lategame.

You can assign a ship to be your designated salvager, designated refueler, or designated Tug (can be the same ship). To give you an example, in my game my drop rate is so good that if I need some quick cash I jump into a pirate sector in my M2 and just sit on the gate for like 5 minutes picking off everything the pirates try to send through. After there's dozens of poo poo just floating around me I press a hotkey and my salvager jumps in and picks it all up. I press another button and he refuels me while he's here. I press another button and he jumps home and docks with my HQ, where my designated traders take all the poo poo he picked up and go automatically sell it. Any ships that bailed (also happens more often than in vanilla in LU) I claim and mark for Tugging, at which point my Tug jumps into the sector, picks all the ships up, and then jumps back and dumps them into my HQ. Said ships are also automatically stripped once they get to the HQ (can also be set to be stripped while docked with the Tug) at which point their stripped equipment is also automatically sold off by my traders.

And that's not even touching the automatic production/hauling/selling chain I have going with my factories which were also super easy to set up and run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh awesome, that's pretty much the same thing as the salvage command software except SCS has a scan for every system you have a satellite in to see what the best one to loot at the moment is, and LU comes with the option to designate AI salvagers (right now I have to just every now and then order them out). Once I'm done wrecking the universe with XRM I'll install that and give it a shot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I don't think LU has an automatic scan but you can tell your salvager to go pick stuff up in a sector even if you're not in it. I do that a lot in sectors where I have a defense set up on a gate that pirates constantly try to jump through.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
poo poo, I really want to get back into X3 with all you've been posting on LU. Does it have graphical enhancements like XRM did?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

VDay posted:

His technical expertise also leads to things like LU having better performance than the vanilla game because the dude is crazy and went through the whole game rewriting a bunch of poo poo to make it more efficient.

ie the menuing system.

One of the changes made the stock market a LOT more realistic, so in LU it's a game for volume investment over time, whereas in vanilla you can make a quick buck in a couple of hours once you get to the stock exchange. That's offset with more pilot ejections, which actually makes me play more, and showers me in easy to fence M5s.

A _huge_ QOL improvement is the encyclopedia, which slots into the game seamlessly and allows you to actually compare the ships and other items. I think it gives information on _everything_ in the game rather than a few things, and it's the one thing I miss heavily in vanilla.

The wiki I linked goes into much greater detail, but play the vanilla game first to get a feel for it. It's not that LU is 'hard', it's just that a lot of tribal knowledge is geared towards playing the base game, and some of the LU improvements are about scale.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh man I didn't even remember about the encyclopedia changes. "Ship commands" is basically an encyclopedia category now, which means that if you have no idea why a certain command isn't working (ie: you have a trader but can't tell them to start trading for some reason) you can look it up in the encyclopedia and it will list the requirements for said command, so for the trader example it'll list stuff like -Has Trader Software v. X, -Is docked, -Has homeport, etc. so you can see what you're missing right there instead of having to look it up in outdated wikis or ask online.

Lunethex posted:

poo poo, I really want to get back into X3 with all you've been posting on LU. Does it have graphical enhancements like XRM did?

I don't remember what XRM did to the graphics. Was it just different lasers, backgrounds, and engine trails? LU does look really nice though, with the two biggest things being a color-coded galaxy map so that you can quickly see who owns a sector, and a ton of new ships that are actually competently modeled to both look great and fit their race's style.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

VDay posted:

I don't remember what XRM did to the graphics. Was it just different lasers, backgrounds, and engine trails?

Pretty much yeah. The encyclopedia sounds amazing. Worst thing about XRM is it's a total overhaul of weapons and ships, and new weapons and new ships and how the hell can I know at a glance what does and doesn't suck for what I want to do? Or what ships can even dock in my frigates or corvettes without trying one of each type to see where it stops allowing it?

Definitely going to give it a shot, about the Destroyer phase I get tired of the game anyway. After a giant fleet battle there's not really much else to go do! I mean poo poo I'm good enough at micromanaging my personal corvette or frigate that I can take on M1 and M2s head to head while I have the AI run interference. It's still stupid as hell that small fighters with fucktons of missiles and mass drivers are the most dangerous thing to me.

What are the LU starts you can choose? And will most scripts that work with the base game and XRM work with it if I need or want them for whatever reason?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 28, 2015

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I only want to know one things about Litcube's Universe: Can I use hacking software to capture myself a Kha'ak advanced destroyer, like I did in XRM?

Speaking of which, I never did figure out how boarding worked in either Vanilla or in XRM. My marines just ended up being a repair team for my ship salvage operations.

Edit: A quick gander at the LU Wiki tells me that no, this is, in fact, not possible, and it seems to be implying that there are no Kha'ak in the game at all. No laser-spewing neon purple space dragon, no sale.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 29, 2015

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Hello, this thread. I just got Terran Conflict and a joystick, and I'm having trouble with the controls, mostly because I have no idea what a lot of the settings are/do. What's a configuration that you guys find nice to use? This weird-looking thing on my desk has 12 buttons, little sub-joystick on the glans kinda region, the throttle is optionally 2 throttles instead and the stick itself can be rotated side to side. Oh and there's a little wheel under the little joystick.
One of the main things I want to be able to do is to change which direction the ship is facing without altering my velocity, like when you turn the inertial dampeners off in Space Engineers. Where's that setting?

Thanks, in advance!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Hello, this thread. I just got Terran Conflict and a joystick, and I'm having trouble with the controls, mostly because I have no idea what a lot of the settings are/do. What's a configuration that you guys find nice to use? This weird-looking thing on my desk has 12 buttons, little sub-joystick on the glans kinda region, the throttle is optionally 2 throttles instead and the stick itself can be rotated side to side. Oh and there's a little wheel under the little joystick.
One of the main things I want to be able to do is to change which direction the ship is facing without altering my velocity, like when you turn the inertial dampeners off in Space Engineers. Where's that setting?

Thanks, in advance!

There are too many buttons to define a "good" layout, everyone in here has their own custom setup, just gotta figure out what works best for yourself.

And there isn't real space physics like that, combat is basically staffing runs or charging in with a poo poo load of guns.

For some control assistance, I use an Xbox controller and besides guns and speed up/down, I have match speed, instant stop, boost/full speed, target nearest hostile, and some other lesser ones I can't think of right now

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 10, 2015

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I installed Litcube's Universe but the music at the main menu is just static. I followed the instructions of course, but it seems like no music is playing as a result.

But, at first when I downloaded his soundtrack, it didn't fully complete so I redownloaded it and it probably corrupted again. :sigh:

edit. Was a Win8.1 problem. Downloaded the K-lite Codec Pack and fixed it. Thanks Microsoft.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 10, 2015

zanraptora
Jul 17, 2014
I used to use a full X52 controller for my gameplay, but discovered that setting up an easy 1hand/2hand X-Box controller setup is a much more effective way to play a game that ignores fighter skill after M4s. I can fly with one hand and manage my empire with the other.

Frankly, I don't need all the toys I had on the X52, Who cares that I managed to finagle the vision enhancement onto a slider macro, I still can't shoot past 5 km, and the auto aim is more than sufficient at that range.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Thanks, in advance!

With a steelseries merc stealth and a rat mmo mouse (actually using a chineese version atm, its rma'd due to a funky mousewheel)
I have lots of buttons,

this is a good thing, because even in the base vanilla game, you need flexability to control whatever you are flying, mousewheel for speed, some extra buttons to match speed/fullstop/full throttle,
Q,W,E, : roll left, rise, roll right,
A,S,D, : strafe left, sink, strafe right, along with the right throttle allows you to try to stay in a ships blind spot, an area with no or less coverage of guns, while jacking,
then you have keys 1-4 to choose what sets of weapons to use if you are destroying stuff or nibbling away at shields.
Missiles require a key or two to shuffle through them and fire them off.

Adding mods?
Use mars fire control, once you get the turrets to utilize it. no need to F1 around to a turret to scrub something pestering you.

Want to 'jack something? that's another key once you have scrubbed the shield off,
salvage controls and so on, another key,
scorp's map? yep.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Moartoast posted:

Okay well this game already sounds like it's entirely my jam. I don't mind the economy being fairly borked since I was mainly curious just how much simulation was actually happening, and how much the player can theoretically gently caress with it. I mean, from what I've heard, Egosoft is a pretty small dev team, and that poo poo's way more ambitious than most AAA games could ever dream to be (mainly due to limited marketability, but still), I'm not surprised that the sim slowly collapses on itself. I also dig that you can build up to automating most busywork while actually playing fun space shootmans, that kind of management is always really fun to me. And just the idea of every bit of my space shenanigans being reflected in the depths of some nebulous economic simulation that I'll never fully grasp makes my spergy orbs tingle a bit.

I also forgot to ask: How effective/fun is piracy in the long run? My favourite thing in sandboxy space sims is being a space bastard, it's part of why I wanted to know if every trader had an effect on stuff, because I'm a sadistic video game man. I imagine this also comes down to what campaign you're trying to do, but I have no idea how that stuff works.

Also can you turn off some/all of the NPC barks because even in my short time dicking around way back I still remember the exact intonation of FOR DA QUEEN from hearing it maybe four dozen times in the span of ten minutes jesus christ.

One of the things I love about X3 is that you can literally go from a humble fighter to being the Lord Emperor of the entire Universe.

You can become the Empire from Star Wars, which has always been a dream of mine.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Moartoast posted:

I also forgot to ask: How effective/fun is piracy in the long run? My favourite thing in sandboxy space sims is being a space bastard, it's part of why I wanted to know if every trader had an effect on stuff, because I'm a sadistic video game man. I imagine this also comes down to what campaign you're trying to do, but I have no idea how that stuff works.

I have illegal goods factories set up all over the place. It's great! One of my hobbies is buying ships from pilots, collect the ejected former owner of said ship and sell them into slavery. You can do the occasional trader ambush but you generally want to keep your reputation with the factions good.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slickdrac posted:

And there isn't real space physics like that, combat is basically corkscrewing around the target in an M3+ or an M6 or charging in with a poo poo load of guns.

ftfy.

The game plays pretty well with a controller because of the various UI updates they made and I did play the original X: Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension games with a joystick but they are eminently doable with mouse and keyboard and that opens up a vast wealth of button assignment options because they allow for shift/ctrl/alt modifiers so you get three times the keyboard.

a7m2 posted:

I have illegal goods factories set up all over the place. It's great! One of my hobbies is buying ships from pilots, collect the ejected former owner of said ship and sell them into slavery. You can do the occasional trader ambush but you generally want to keep your reputation with the factions good.

You sir are a bastard and a scoundrel and I salute you for it.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
what mods would you guys recommend for use with LU? Apparently a bunch of old stuff is incompatable with it, including MARS and all of Luicike's stuff?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think all I used was Smart Turrets for weapon switching, Marine Repairs, and cheat menu.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Did Bounce get integrated into LU? If not, it's definitely worth grabbing. I haven't tried LU myself so I'm not sure.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Litcube made Bounce so it's already in there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Litcube's just a modpack mostly, it's not a from-the-scratch total conversion like XRM or anything. So most things not already in should work fine (or be mergable with little work).

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Mars kind of works, the bots are a little wonky, but mostly work for player ship. The guns you have to enter values for somewhere, and probably change names on some.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Pretty sure it's still a lovely game, but if anyone wants X Rebirth it's currently $9.99 at the Humble store:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/x_rebirth_storefront

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Less Fat Luke posted:

Pretty sure it's still a lovely game, but if anyone wants X Rebirth it's currently $9.99 at the Humble store:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/x_rebirth_storefront

Rebirth isn't even worth the disk space of a free install. Wait for the inevitable X5: We Went Back And Modernized X3:AP

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
At least it seems they might actually be wanting to make a good game with X:Rebirth's ashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cqR50re3o

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bettik posted:

At least it seems they might actually be wanting to make a good game with X:Rebirth's ashes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4cqR50re3o

tl;dw - "X5: We Went Back And Modernized X:Rebirth"

They effectively state that they want to add a bunch of features, but there are limitations in the current model, so that's the next game. The upcoming patch will add a 'flight assist off' mode. Dunno, haven't played this since Teladi Outpost was released and it was _still_ buggy.

Anyone played it recently?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

tl;dw - "X5: We Went Back And Modernized X:Rebirth"

They effectively state that they want to add a bunch of features, but there are limitations in the current model, so that's the next game. The upcoming patch will add a 'flight assist off' mode. Dunno, haven't played this since Teladi Outpost was released and it was _still_ buggy.

Anyone played it recently?

I played it a few patches after Teladi Outpost and while I didn't really notice any bugs, it's still got the same fundamental issues it always did.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Hav posted:

They effectively state that they want to add a bunch of features, but there are limitations in the current model, so that's the next game.

Yeah just watched this. I'm quite surprised that one of the features he mentions that can't fit into the existing game is being able to fly other ships. I always thought it would just require more work to add more ship models. Can you imagine going from a game that had abour 40 flyable ships to building a new game with only one and limiting it at its base to only one ship? That is hosed up beyond recognition. Not to mention that they always gave the impression that the one ship was temporary. What a bunch of loving arseholes.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Yeah just watched this. I'm quite surprised that one of the features he mentions that can't fit into the existing game is being able to fly other ships. I always thought it would just require more work to add more ship models. Can you imagine going from a game that had abour 40 flyable ships to building a new game with only one and limiting it at its base to only one ship? That is hosed up beyond recognition. Not to mention that they always gave the impression that the one ship was temporary. What a bunch of loving arseholes.

I think it's because it would mess up the story and there's probably a lot of hardcoded stuff that prevents it and would take a lot of time to fix. I'm glad they're working on a new game where you can fly all ships. It seems like they've learned from their mistakes.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I think it's because it would mess up the story and there's probably a lot of hardcoded stuff that prevents it and would take a lot of time to fix. I'm glad they're working on a new game where you can fly all ships. It seems like they've learned from their mistakes.

Well, what pisses me off is that they hinted all along that they would later add more ships you could fly. I've long given up on this game, so it wouldn't really matter either way, but I do feel deceived. I'm certainly going to wait and see with their next one, they've spent all my good will with the pre-order of rebirth.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Don't preorder games. Valid for all games.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I wouldn't have minded being able to only use the Albion Skunk if it had been more modular to upgrade. Instead it was a straight linear progression which killed any interest in buying Rebirth, at least for me.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

a7m2 posted:

I think it's because it would mess up the story

I really wish Egosoft would understand already that no one gives a gently caress about their horrible "story" and focus on the really drat cool sandbox experience they made.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I think if they just enhanced X3 in some points, like creating a interface to control multiple ships, stopping small ships from suiciding, making it so that the economy actually works (like AI won't go into xenon espace anymore, and maybe use jumpdrivers but in a way that will still leave openings for your own traders), maybe letting you conquer sectors would be cool, and then just released it as a new game I would bet everyone here would buy it ASAP. Maybe they can't build this on top of X3 and need to start from scratch, and I would understand if they wouldn't want to focus on these if that's the case but if these things could be added to X3 it would be loving perfect.
I do like ship interior (but not really what they did in Rebirth) and ships having separate parts to be destroyed, and seamless space instead of sectors, and I'm guessing these more likely wouldn't be able to be built on top of the old engine, but these are secondary luxuries, the other stuff are some real problems with X3 that were never completely solved, even through mods.
But then again I'm talking from the point of view of someone that played a lot of X3 already, and maybe the flashy stuff actually attracted new people into the series and made Rebirth sell more than upgrading the sandbox would, what do I know.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

a7m2 posted:

It seems like they've learned from their mistakes.

If they can survive for long enough. Getting Rebirth to where it is now can't be the revenue stream that they were hoping for, and a closed alpha might have raised the warning flags before they committed to fixing it, effectively for free, for the best part of a year and it's still worse than Albion Prelude.

The best of it is, apart from the stations being huge - which I love - there's not a lot else compelling about any of the changes that they made. The walking around in the stations appears to have been tacked on in the same way that Eve Online did; it didn't really have any use there, and doesn't here. The ship count is low, and effectively fighters have been relegated to the role of drones...while you have drones that are vaguely useless.

The highway system was mind-boggling - removing gates and creating a travel system kinda expands things out, but it also underscores the big nothing. Trading fell to a single ship that you have to handhold through the whole procedure.

The whole thing is less than the sum of it's parts and is a litany of mistakes and bizarre design decisions. If they'd indicated going back to the X3 formula, it would be more hopeful, but they're suggesting that they can beat this carcass into shape, and I don't think they can.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I can't find any game like X3 so I guess I'll reinstall X3AP and start over (sigh).

But I don't want to mess with many mods and fuckarounds to make it works so I guess I should just install Litcube's Universe and be done with it?

But then I read about Litcube and saw the The Phanon Corporation and Revelation. I'm the kind of pilot to fly/gently caress around and take my time (aka space roaming and lose 3 hours doing jackshit).

Will I get my rear end handed over a silverplate later? Or can I "desactivate" The Phanon Corporation/Revelation progression or mess with its expansion speed?

Or any multimod-pack-install-once good alternative with bounce/auto-turrets/auto-trading-thing?

Thanks! :)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I think you can handily shut phanom down by jacking their stations and ships, leaving the revelation to deal with, while bimbling about, amassing a horde of ships is a good idea.

Alternativly look into the X-TRA ship-station packs. plus large mods that support it.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I got an answer from Egosoft forum:

Shroomworks on Egosoft posted:

There is some sense of time pressure,due to the OCV slowly but surely taking the sectors in the Omicron channel,and at some point they will break through to Bluish Snout. However,with each sector they take,it takes them longer to take the next. I'm currently 8 days into my game,and they still have 4 systems in the Omicron Channel that they need to conquer.

As for Phanon,i've had a few run-ins with their subsidiary TandiTech,but nothing i needed to worry about. For the most part,they leave me be and i have yet to see them actually attack me or one of my assets.

Both the OCV and Phanon can be dactivated in the AL settings,wich can be advantageous if you want to learn the new and improved mechanics of LU first. And when you feel you're ready,you can simply activate both factions again.

An off switch is perfect :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Can you recapture stations or do you have to blow them up, leaving the sectors dead?

• Locked thread