Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

You poor soul, did you do the teladi trader start? Should have gone with Argon Protocol (or whatever it's named, the default combat campaign).

Humble Merchant and my Discovery disappeared for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Do the argon start, especially for your first playthrough

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm doing my umpteenth playthrough of X3. I'm using albion prelude as the version I want to play for obvious reasons.

So far for mods I have: MARS, FDN, Hephcorp and marine repairs and training. What I'm asking is does anyone have suggestions for mods that don't completely change the game, but just add improvements? I'm pretty sure MARS is the only mod I've really used since X3 came out... well and MARS.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm doing my umpteenth playthrough of X3. I'm using albion prelude as the version I want to play for obvious reasons.

So far for mods I have: MARS, FDN, Hephcorp and marine repairs and training. What I'm asking is does anyone have suggestions for mods that don't completely change the game, but just add improvements? I'm pretty sure MARS is the only mod I've really used since X3 came out... well and MARS.

Haven't played in a while, but I liked to use OK TRADER. Makes your trade ships behave a bit smarter and I think also gives you some options to configure their behavior.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

NeoSeeker posted:

Complex Cleaner (smushes all your stations in a system into a single box, might not matter if you've got FDN and don't need a giant laggy maze of tubes to hook it all together) and Bounce (stops AI ships crashing into things) are pretty solid.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NeoSeeker posted:

The NPC Bailout and Salvage Command Software mods are always good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

What is so bad about rebirth? I get that you can’t build factories or get different ships but that doesn’t make it a bad game does it? Just different? I thought with the latest expansions and patches it was pretty good and am considering getting it for my Oculus.

You can build stations, mostly it's just a lot less content than X3. It's a small universe with few ships and a rather linear plot and little else to do. X3 of course has the benefit of having years and years worth of content from previous games dumped into it, rebirth doesn't. But all the content that is in there is quite good, I think, it just makes it a very different game from X3 because the whole point of X3 is that the volume of content makes it a good sandbox game. Rebirth isn't particularly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If I remember right, the visuals and what actual game parts of Rebirth are there are pretty good. Flying around and shooting spaceships is supposed to be better, exploring space is more interesting, space stations are more impressive, etc., but it really falls apart outside of that. The menus are not an improvement over X3, which is saying a lot. The plot and voice acting is on par for an Egosoft title, which is saying a lot. They tacked on disembarking and wandering around on stations, which I have heard nothing but bad things about.

Reading up on it, though, it sounds like a lot of the most glaring QOL issues (in my mind, at least) were eventually solved. As in, you can now actually have your trading ships automatically supply your stations and sell their goods. Things like that.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. One final thing. I like to start as a terran pilot and my last playthrough I noticed a bunch of economy problems starting to happen as the playthrough became more mature. I don't remember exactly what it was, I managed to nudge my way in to all my favorite races' good side for trading and other benefits. Something happened to the econmy though and I think it was the problem mentioned above that the economy collapses if you don't do something. And as a Terran it takes a while to make yourself friendly enough with other factions. Any tips to starting as a Terran coming from you guys? Honestly I'm kind of having a hard time diving back in because I have no idea where to start. But my end goal is always total domination.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Phi230 posted:

I don't have a combat vessel, just a mercury

If you have guns, you can still probably manage. The good thing about station defense missions is that the enemy ships focus on the station itself, not you.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

NeoSeeker posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One final thing. I like to start as a terran pilot and my last playthrough I noticed a bunch of economy problems starting to happen as the playthrough became more mature. I don't remember exactly what it was, I managed to nudge my way in to all my favorite races' good side for trading and other benefits. Something happened to the econmy though and I think it was the problem mentioned above that the economy collapses if you don't do something. And as a Terran it takes a while to make yourself friendly enough with other factions. Any tips to starting as a Terran coming from you guys? Honestly I'm kind of having a hard time diving back in because I have no idea where to start. But my end goal is always total domination.

What I did as an Argon befriending the Terrans (hopefully it works as well the other way round!) is build a complex selling stuff every race uses (shields are good for this, but if all else fails you could do energy cells or ore or something) in a border system outside the war zone. Even if you can't dock at their stations, NPC merchants can dock at yours, and every time they trade at one of your stations you'll get a small reputation boost with their race. Once you've got the complexes up and running, go do something else until your rep's high enough that you can take missions from them.

Oh, one more mod that's basically vital for AP. The Blacklist Manager lets you force your traders to stay out of places they'll get shot.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like the TC plots for AP mod, but if you've played through TC before then maybe you're tired of them. It's nice to make the story a cohesive whole though, and helps with the slightly rougher start in AP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I like the TC plots for AP mod, but if you've played through TC before then maybe you're tired of them. It's nice to make the story a cohesive whole though, and helps with the slightly rougher start in AP.

How well does that work? I was thinking of eventually returning to my X3 LP but was interested in showing the TC stuff (namely the Kha'ak) but I didn't want to effectively run through the game twice.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Leal posted:

How well does that work? I was thinking of eventually returning to my X3 LP but was interested in showing the TC stuff (namely the Kha'ak) but I didn't want to effectively run through the game twice.

It works really well, it's one of the better maintained mods, and it's been around since very early after AP was released. Engine-wise the games are very similar, so porting the TC plot to AP wasn't particularly difficult. There's pretty much no reason to play plain X3:TC instead, except maybe the intro cinematic possibly.

Not having to build up all your assets again between the games is a huge help.

E: Here's a link: Terran Conflict plots 2.2a for Albion Prelude 3.1 (get the TCAP patch for 3.2 linked on the second-to-last page).

e2: apparently there's another patch needed for 3.3. either way it should be linked on the page. I haven't played with it for about 8 months, so I can't vouch for it being completely bug-free on the latest patch. It looks like the issue if fairly minor though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 31, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm trying to get back into this game, but I'm running into an issue. Early game traveling across sectors on autopilot is boring, so I want to use SETA and alt-tab to do other stuff. However, whenever I alt-tab, the game disables SETA. I have nothing bound to alt and nothing bound to tab, the game is set to run in background, and it runs in borderless windowed.

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 17, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

double nine posted:

I'm trying to get back into this game, but I'm running into an issue. Early game traveling across sectors on autopilot is boring, so I want to use SETA and alt-tab to do other stuff. However, whenever I alt-tab, the game disables SETA. I have nothing bound to alt and nothing bound to tab, the game is set to run in background, and it runs in borderless windowed.

I think you need to hit a setting somewhere in options to keep SETA on when the game isn't in focus.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that's not the issue. The second I press ALT seta disengages and yes, I did double-check there are no functions bound to alt.

fake edit: I "fixed" it. I bound seta to alt, problem solved.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Do the argon start, especially for your first playthrough

First few missions on this trail get you a bunch of money and a Centaur that you can strip for parts, and you start off in the relatively peaceful Argon empire between the Paranid and the Boron, if memory serves.

Best thing to do is understand the economy as well. Pretty much this and Helium Rain have broken economies that you extend, embrace and absorb over time. Also you can make some cash hoofing around Kahuna steaks and Wheat over energy cells.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I used my $15 dollar credit towards this in the Oculus store. I love Elite so figured I’d check this out. It seems like a pretty neat VR game. I’ve played the other X games before but not extensively. Anyone have any opinions on this game in VR?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Being in VR won't make Rebirth good.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only thing Rebirth had going for it is its kinda cool to fly the ship and change weapons and crap, thats about it.
Given how badly the performancd tanks when you get anywhere near a gas cloud i. it, I have no faith X4 is going to run well at all.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
At first, yeah, but with mods making more stuff boardable, capital ship bridges, and so on, have made it a bit better.
I just hate the skunk.
the ability to bodge about in xml and make things not not work was a necessity, now when I wanna rebirth, I edit the hollerin' heck out of the first save file, embrace capitalist company vs company hot war, cap a few xenon, then the xenon stations apart from aqueduct. then build/cap everything I can, I am the Yaki.
but usually I play X3. (I actually have ED, but i am too dumb to get my x52 working, and I wish to hotas+actual throttle in ED)...

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I hate that the Heart Of Albion is called the Skunk and has a gross furry on it. The ship design is not bad overall, its a neat looking ship at least.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
one of the first things I did was edit one of the mods that makes it look less jank to my taste, so I never saw that thing again.
I am not entirely taken with the idea that AP>R>X4 is good, but sure, a new game/engine, limited to one o.p. ship. that's traditionally horribly broken on launch, then the modders step in and fill the gaps. seems to be ego's m.o.
I am looking forward to X4, if its multiple playable ship classes, and using a similar enough system to rebirth, at least, that's what they are saying at the moment, it should be excellent to mod.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dreadwroth posted:

The only thing Rebirth had going for it is its kinda cool to fly the ship and change weapons and crap, thats about it.
Given how badly the performancd tanks when you get anywhere near a gas cloud i. it, I have no faith X4 is going to run well at all.

They actually have made a lot of engine improvements to Rebirth so it no longer runs terribly. So X4 shouldn't have too many problems on that front.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Jumping into this game for what is essentially the first time (don't remember any of the poo poo you helped me out with last time, Staberind). I'm looking for an experience that won't take me forever to start pottering around with a carrier or two - ideally I'd be able to get the trade side of things set up quick and nicely automated. The script list by VDay in the OP looks like it'll get me somewhat close to this, but I'd be grateful for any tips /input on how to start playing capital fleet simulator.

fake e: Megaupload link for VDay's poo poo is down, btw

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
X3:AP or the other one m8?

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

AP.

Actually played Rebirth a bit, got some mods in there and it wasn't too bad. I actually want to fly other ships tho, so I'm back.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, as its pretty clear, the economy in the x games has plenty of holes for you to take advantage of, so ut or universal traders is a good start wrt trading, however, that also depends on what you decide to start as,
SCS software is pretty much the first tool in the box, seeing as it also allows you to grind up notoriety & cash almost immediately, plus it might spawn a decent set of ships.
personally, I also always use the highjack ship/station software, needing a transporter device and computer components.
there are ap libraries you will need as well, and for quality of life, something that allows you to see your rank with "met" races. oddly, you cannot become chums with the khok or xenon.

I'm going to add to this with links in a minute, but am opening my x-u plugin manager for a reminder.
goddamn.

so, ignore the ships, get the script libraries first, probably googling will get you latest ones quicker than me finding links, then if you skip to the top, the npc bailing addon scs and ship highjacker are good for an "ahoy thar me hearties" approach, transporter trade basically means that you should remember to buy salvage insurance and save often manually, because you never need to dock again to buy stuff if you are living in your carriers.

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=216690 I think most of the above can be found here, but googling for the latest versions won't hurt

The Marauder Shipyard has a bunch of "oh, okay" kinds of things, but most importantly: nividum mines. & phq's
Because I have played the hell out of AP, the xtra ship/station pack is great, but can jank stuff up.

get the M.A.R.S. for major mods so your turrets can be toggled, Avoiding friendly/not actively hunting you down races from being all triggered that you shot some random in an F5.
if those smaller ships do end up being irritating, ramming them gives you a much lesser sector hit than pewwing them.

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 21, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Was there ever a mod released that stopped the sector police from going hogwild on you when a m5 from whatever race happens to not like you takes a potshot and your turrets respond? I wanted to have a few alien races as permanent enemies but since the cops in other core sectors never give a poo poo when the AI attacks you, but do when defending yourself, I never bothered.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Cheers, I'll get those plugged in. All I remember from last time is you trying to walk me through hijacking a kha'ak ship, and then the xenon AI bugging out and constantly spawning the same destroyer over and over. Will hold out for the links, thanks man.

e; fuuuuuuuuuuuuck
e2; Ok, got the main ones sorted. I seem to remember there was a weapons manager called MARS or something? Is that still good to have? Also yeah, I've been getting them from the master list, and for dead links I've been searching one of the xdownloads sites for copies.

Nymix fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 21, 2018

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Nymix posted:

Cheers, I'll get those plugged in. All I remember from last time is you trying to walk me through hijacking a kha'ak ship, and then the xenon AI bugging out and constantly spawning the same destroyer over and over. Will hold out for the links, thanks man.

e; fuuuuuuuuuuuuck
e2; Ok, got the main ones sorted. I seem to remember there was a weapons manager called MARS or something? Is that still good to have? Also yeah, I've been getting them from the master list, and for dead links I've been searching one of the xdownloads sites for copies.

Mars is really only useful for capital ships, but it's really good. Makes drones actually useful as well.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Actually, what was the name of the one that stops the war from burning anything down straight from the get-go? I'd quite like to be able to get used to things before there's nothing left. Any specific recommendations for trading scripts/ exploration? (I looked for universal traders and, if it is indeed the name of a script, I haven't been able to find it on the master list.)

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Mars is really only useful for capital ships, but it's really good. Makes drones actually useful as well.

Sounds perfect for me in that case :v:

e: Went and installed "TC plots in AP" because I'm pretty sure that's the one that answers my first question.

Nymix fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 21, 2018

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nymix posted:

burning anything down straight from the get-go?

yeah, tc plots is correct, but remember that whatever is destroyed, will probably be restored at some point by terran or argon respectivly.
and is completely not a suggestion to go hang around contested places and 'jack xl solar plants, nosirreeee, the argon trading station is good as well, because, well, you will find out.
oh, so, for that little feature, i'd also suggest station repacker. and also, an old favorite is bounce.

Not shown on that list is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8twoIVla6SfSC1DcVFoSmFkZW8/view and XRM, and thats what i have atm, sitting in aladna hill in a split ship,
I think xrm essentially does murky plot things as well, seeing as it adds a buncha buncha extra stuff like new sectors and the like, plus, ding, the map is now a kind of sphere or tube, as you can go from one side to t'other.

finally, Ok Traders, https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=336509 I think its less irritating than sector/universe traders.

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 21, 2018

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Greatly appreciate all your help mate, everything seems to be working well, spawned in a few things to play and test them out and looks like I'm good to go. Gonna start up a game tomorrow and see if I can build up to a functioning fighter-production line to replace all the poo poo I lose when I start helicoptering my carriers around the khock.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I always felt Mars was overpowered. The weapon switching for use-case / energy management meant as long as you carried 20 FAAs, 20 PPCs, 20 IREs, etc. fights were always going to end in your favour unless it's one-on-one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can tell mars to work on everything, enemy or friend, I'd assume that levels the field a bit?

Because I am also using xrm via fake patch, it did not show on the xplugin shots, xrm also has bounce and some other stuff merged into it as well.

When I start up a new game in X3, I leave scs disabled until I have docked and got an autosave, reload that save to allow other stuff to initiate, make another save after fiddling with settings like shield/hull display, placement of guns on hull, npc bailing twiddling & reduction, mars & bounce set to on.
then, save, exit game, enable scs, reload that save, Then configure all the pushy button/receive bacon controls setup, final save, and get to playing.
Its a little arduous, however, so far, I don't have "-Insert racename here- Mammoth" problems, after flying about in friendly/enemy space collecting an scs freebie ship.

I usually start with bankrupt assasin; 0 spacebux, Boron, Paranid, Pirate & Terran mans don't like me, but 1 good mamba and the scs software + npc bailing make running about helping astronauts, generally trying to survive in unfriendly space, slowly edging up various races view of me and the small cash rewards make the starting meta-game straightforward, while slowly mapping, sattelliting, and so on organically.

Sometimes you get lucky and a scuttled ship has a transporter ware on it, gameplay changes to 'jacking everything not nailed down, dealing with the race standing loss, and building the raggiest, taggiest fleet I can, while deciding where to set up my space-house and parking garage, booze barns, space-opium dens, and so on.

couple more q.o.l things you need for above to work.

http://download1655.mediafire.com/7di8o4019txg/oh41awel7aqqh13/ap3_fix_for_xtra_ships.zip

& google for Xtra Jobs v3.3a

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 22, 2018

• Locked thread