Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Giggily posted:

Does this just automatically teleport wares to stations? That seems a bit cheaty.

Good to know that the requirements for that plotline are easier.
FDN is kind of cheaty, yeah. It can even teleport-sell and teleport-buy things from stations you don't own. That said, it is still a pretty impressive piece of work.

If you want something a little closer to stock in function, try complex cleaner. It crunches your factory together inside a big box with equivalent output. You then connect the modules and make a complex hub. It cleans up the asset screen a lot more than FDN does too (unless FDN has changes since I last used it). I consider complex cleaner one of my most necessary scripts.

Trying to build huge complexes without any sort of script/mod is a nightmare though. The mess of pipes alone will slow the game to a crawl when you look at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I might have to get into playing X again. Only played AP on release, and basically didn't do anything but the plot.

At any rate, if I am doing it again, I am definitely going with poisoned paranid. I've done it before with TC, and an overtuned hyperion vanguard is too sweet of a plum to pass up. I made a quick .reg file to unlock all of the game starts in AP, if anybody else in interested. The method was the same as TC.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43421440/unlockstarts.reg

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

M7 is kind of an awkward ship class. They are slow, and can't dock everywhere like an M6. At the same time, most don't really have access to destroyer-power weaponry. Your Panther is definitely one of the good ones, what with the big fighter bay, but as you said, you need IBLs. IBLs are the precious stopgap weapon you can put on some M7s.

The other M7 I like is the shrike, mostly because it can mount four gauss cannon. Another destroyer-class weapon, and even better, they don't require power.

For the most part, I always liked stopping at M6 for my daily pimpombile spacecraft. The feel like the best compromise between power and speed. Especially the springblossom or an overtuned vanguard. My favorite is probably the hyperion, even when pitted against the blossom's super speed, mostly because of its missile selection. I like being able to launch typhoons or wraiths.

Apparently AP has eight crates randomly placed containing overtunings in the base game now. Makes picking the ship you want to put those on pretty important. I wonder how much they add up to be. Might make flying an M7 as a main ship more tolerable? Even then, I would probably just further overtune a vanguard.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 31, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The cheat script (which everybody should have installed anyway, for messing around or fixing stuff), has an option for unlimited salvage insurance.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You can always buy a mamba raider. They are fast, but they are pretty flimsy. Personally, I always liked the Nova raider for an easy to acquire M3. Not quite as fast as the mamba, but it does have three times the shielding. There are definitely better ships than both though. The Venti is a badass ride, but tougher to get. 10 energy bolt chainguns is pretty awesome for an M3. Granted, you'll probably want a TM to use as a homebase and restock point.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 12, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I figure this game is going to turn out to be like X3: Reunion. We are going to have to wait a long time for patches and updates to come, and be forced to double dip to get the game we were promised in the first place. I really hope X:Rebirth is good, I love this series, but I still have low expectations either way.
That tends to be how Egosoft games have gone so far. They always put a lot of work into them post-launch, but releases tend to be messy. There were some pretty serious scripting-related slowdown bugs in X3, which were present until a year or so Terran Conflict came out. Don't get me wrong, I love the games and have put hundreds of hours into them, but I am not going to start hyping myself up for the release in a couple of days.

Other stuff to play at the moment too, with the XCom expansion out now, and BG2EE out in a couple days. Figure I'll probably wait at least a patch or two to fix the most glaring issues before I really dig in. If there were a shortage of new PC releases right now, things might be different.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Definitely curious to see how much of the economic game you can play in Rebirth. In X3:TC, I always liked making a boron angel one of my initial goals. It is a TP, so you can do lucrative passenger transport missions. It is also the only TP which could hold XL size cargo, making it reasonable to carry out some of the hauling missions. Expanding the number of missions you can do means more time earning money and less time looking for missions.

I would then take the money I earned, buy ESTs, and go back to my missions. The ESTs helped increase trade rank, along with earning me money, which increased mission payout. It pretty much snowballs until your transport missions are paying millions. I would then move on to making complexes, and more money, until I had an industrial empire.

I think I might have some sort of space-spreadsheet illness.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 13, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, okay, that is pretty bad. It looks like something a modder would do. Hopefully a modder will take it out.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rockstar can afford to keep their mouth shut. They'll get enough hype and press anyway. You definitely can't say the same for Egosoft.

Curious to see how demanding the game is. Still running a geforce 570, and a little worried that it might have problems driving my display, especially at 1440p. Really hoping to hold out for the 800 series next year.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I wonder if the fact that the first section of the manual jumps right into troubleshooting should tell me something.

The section on drones is interesting though. It looks like we have some options there.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 14, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The sane move would probably be to wait for the steam Christmas sale, to see if it goes 33% off or so. Steam has had big releases which quickly go on sale in the past.

That said, I've preordered as well, because screw caution. I need spaceships, and to get my trade on. I'll be cozying up the Teladi and ferrying space weed.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

You can see the minimum specs in the manual.

OS: Windows 8 (64-bit), Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit), Vista SP2 (64-bit) XP SP2 (64-bit)
Processor: Intel i-Series at 2GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GT400 series with 512MB RAM or better, ATI 4870HD with 512MB RAM or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card

Note that it does require a 64 bit OS. No more needing to set executable flags to try and get the game to use more memory. Your 4 GB of ram will probably hurt you.

Recommended specs are

Processor: Intel i5 (Quad) or i7 at 2.5GHz or AMD equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GT500 series with 1GB RAM or better, ATI 5870HD with 1GB RAM or better
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Sound Card

My system is pretty much right on the recommended specs, with a 8 GB of ram, a geforce 570, and a 2700k CPU. Hoping it works fine, though might not be able to turn up the detail at 1440p.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Being confined to one ship doesn't bother me too much, so long as the game gives you a lot of ways to customize things. To tell you the truth, I found most of the ships in X3 pretty miserable to fly. Some had weird cockpit views, with giant protrusions blocking your view. Flying a Shrike felt like you had giant walls on each side of you. With some ships the guns pretty much blinded you every time you fired.

More flyable ships seems like something they could work on down the line too. This is the reboot of their series after all. I am sure we'll be seeing expansions. Hopefully the game is just as moddable as X3 too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Game actually runs pretty well here on a geforce 570, at 1440p with 2x AA. Everything seems pretty smooth.

I haven't yet seen it mentioned that enemies in stations constantly seem to be performing squats while you talk to them. Maybe it is just me. With every button I press they crouch down, then stand back up.

Game definitely needs some sort of interface scaling at higher resolutions. I can barely read what I pick up when I open containers. It gets put into a little window in the top left of the screen.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The energy cell mission seems to be defeating me. I did the taxi, and seem to be stuck. I tried buying more energy cells, but nothing is happening.

Edit: Saving, exiting the game, then starting back up and loading the save seems to have fixed it.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 15, 2013

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Arrrgh, why is it so hard to bring 100 energy cells from one system to the next? My ship has like 18,000 cells, and is just sitting next to where I need to deliver them.

Is there some what to manage what tasks your trade ship has queued up?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Elenkis posted:

I don't suppose anyone has found a decent way to make money yet have they? I'm at a point in the story where I need about 200k to hire marines, but I'm pretty much space broke.
I've been doing patrol and defense missions in the sector around the stupid station that I can't sell my energy cells to. have made about 150k that way so far. They've honestly been pretty eas.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ended up restarting because I couldn't figure out how to unfuck the energy cell delivery. Made a hard save before I ordered any energy cells this time, and will do so before any future missions. It is strange that a seemingly simple mission could be so confusing.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Fuuuuck you energy cells! I've been sitting around for an hour now without a delivery. Why? Why must this be so hard?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I reloaded a save before issuing any buy orders. Figure I would just ignore it for now, and do other things. I removed the hauler from my group. It is still following me around though. I wonder if that is related to it being hosed at buying/selling. It keeps trying to follow you instead of doing what it should be doing.

X:Rebirth - Bunkroom Thieving Simulator

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My game was running perfectly stable, but after a few hours it is now crashville. I love space games, and love X, but think it is time to put this one back up on the shelf until we get some patches.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dominic White posted:

So, I'm somewhat above the Recommended specs for this game (660ti overclocked, 3.4ghz i5-3570k, 8gb RAM - no other game on the market gives this PC trouble), I've dropped every single detail option and slider to zero, and hit 20fps average at 720p, often hanging around 8-10fps. The only time I see 30+ is when I'm literally staring at an outside wall in one of the station interiors. I sent in my benchmarks, DXDiag info, etc.

Here's what the devs say via their PR guy:

I'd post a facepalm image-meme if I didn't know it'd get me probated. Looks like I'm not reviewing this one until they fix stuff.
There is something wrong if you are getting 20fps average with that setup. I have a geforce 570, a 2700k, 8 gb of RAM, FRAPS' fps counter shows I get between 30 and 40 fps running at 1440p with 2x AA. I've still put the game aside for now, but performance isn't the reason.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Personally, I would like to see some hotkeys implemented. I shouldn't need to dig through menus to open a map. I just want to press a button and have a drat map pop up.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

To be fair, the game doesn't exactly go out of the way to tell you about those buttons, and they aren't standard map buttons. In most games, bringing up a map is usually something like tab, or m. That is what I tried, and I am sure what most people would try first as well.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

None of us really know. We can hope it will get better. Maybe check back in six months.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hey, I believe you. Your system is better than mine, and I get a reasonable 30-40 fps at 1440p.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Do we actually have a date for the Teladi Outpost expansion? I pre-ordered it or whichever we had to do but I thought it was meant to be out last week?
Right now. In fact, people should definitely download it now.

quote:

Egosoft is delighted to announce the release of the X Rebirth 3.0 update along with a new DLC, The Teladi Outpost. The DLC is available free to players who download it before 15th December.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

XRM would be fine. LU is much more macro focused, with building a giant industrial base and big wars.

Admittedly, the saturn complexes from Litcube are amazing though. I wish they were in the vanilla game. It is by far the easiest way to complex. The most efficient way to litcube is really just doing build station missions and scavenging while you build up enough cash for big complexes.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Come on Egosoft, just bury Rebirth and move on. It is already dead.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I am playing Vanilla AP and just got the Springblossom. My god what a ship. The thing is pure death.
Definitely a great ship. The best buyable player ship for sure. My number one overall has to be the overtuned hyperion vanguard though. Wraith missiles are fun.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, I usually would make a complex at the start that took energy cells as input and produced 1 MJ shields as output. They always sold like hotcakes. Universe never seemed to get enough 1 MJ shields.

From there I would usually branch out into missiles, so I could blow up anything that opposed me.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think the thing I appreciate most from LU is the saturn complex hub. Compared to the hellish mass of fps-killing tubes you get from vanilla complex building, it is quick and fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Lunethex posted:

In all seriousness it will basically be Star Citizen that works and gets released.
Lets not go crazy here. It will be released, sure. Egosoft games tend to be bug monsters though. To be fair, they always do offer a lot of post-patch support. The first year of release is honestly more like a beta period. Once they release the inevitable X4 2.0 it will be more like a finished product.

The video looks great though. Honestly, aside from rebirth, I enjoy the X games to an unhealthy degree. I've put hundreds of hours into the various versions of X3. A real sequel is an easy way to extract money from my wallet. Rebirth still stings though. It is the sequel nobody wanted.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 28, 2017

• Locked thread