Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Nice, that seems to include everything, oh, is scorps map in that list? http://www.suu-design.com/main.html its a pain to "install" if you are not used to the filesystem, but it has so many useful features. sorry I did not mention it before.

(Edit) : Yep, I have used it with AP, and also various mods that give you entirely new areas/totally different starmaps. with no problems.

staberind fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its a standalone, with scripts, while you are beetling around, you hit an assignable key and it updates a log00001.txt that you drop into your Users\[yournamehere]\Documents\Egosoft\X3AP or X3TC folder, you can tab out, open this map and its updated with your progress automatically, while it might be a little garish, it has various features that more than make up for that, like finding abandoned ships, how much stock a station has of a product and so on. this can be quicker during missions when you have to go find, say, 3 lasertowers. plus, if you have universe explorers off scouting for you, it updates in the same way.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nostrum posted:

There was an awesome script for TC, that I can't remember the name. Basically, it automated some fighters to setup your advanced satellite network. You would buy 4-5 M5s, and the script would send them out to buy satellites (when funds allowed), and drop them in configurable patterns in whatever system they entered. They were smart enough not to double-drop, and would avoid configurable areas. Any idea what it was called, and does it work with AP?

Universe explorers. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=248033 What I tend to do is get one in a racing ship, (starburst, with max tunings) and another is something fairly quick, but with a hold, say, a mamba raider or if you are really lucky, a spitfyre, and send the fast one off to explore, and the other one off to make a sattelite network, (it helps if you buy as many satellites as possible as close to the start of the game as you can, as they don't replenish so well.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its true, the explorer pilots need a poke now and then, I have never actually got one to the magical level 25 where they discover unmarked or unlinked sectors, plus, the secondary satellite laying one needs to be refilled and sent on their merry way occasionally too. for me, it sort of adds to the game,
I do have the mod, and can mail it to whoever wants it, in fact, a have a large repository of mods that I cannot see around any-more, I guess its an idea to screencap a mod folder and people can pick and choose, or, I could dropbox them, plus a couple of jammed together mods I made like better race ranks & coloured shipnames.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Either dock up anywhere or those nice goner people will sell you salvage insurance,

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regarding Xenon L.
NPC Bailing Addon. I linked before.
allows you to actually tweak poo poo, when used with scs, it allows you to get all but 2 races (xenon & cock) relations up quickly, (by sending the astronauts/pilots to friendly stations and by returning ships to their races) gives you more control over bail rates.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Giggily posted:

Is there a way to get a TS to automatically supply a TL with energy cells? I'm moving one of mine across the galaxy pretty often and having to constantly re enter the resupply command is getting annoying.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=274545
Hmmm, not sure, I don't know if transporter trade* works on ships oos. but thats not so important, Pilots, tired of the logistics of having to dock to trade? get transporter trade, get within transporter range of a station, bingo.

*requires transporter, and plenty of salvage insurance, and the common sense to use them, because if you don't autosave when you dock.... well, work it out.

fakedit: OOS supported.

realedit: seems that it was ripped off from this, http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=270669 which, to be honest, might be overkill if you just want to trade via transporter.

I usually start as the ruffian, as its a little more challenging, but starts with a good M3, the mamba.

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 9, 2013

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have, on a busted save, an Albion Pride, it seemed ok, however, I happen to know a little, ah, cheat;
The ship was gained by using "NPC Bailing Addon", in combo with "SCS 4.11", these may or may not be cheats, and it was the only time I have managed to get one, However also using "The Marauder Shipyard" makes engine tunings & rudder tunings dropped by ships "Donated" by one of the scs commands "overtune" whatever ship happens to pick them up. Resulting in my Ptranodon travelling at 500kms, and being as agile as an m5. I tried this on the Albion Pride, it was jolly good.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

It's kind of a random, long-shot, never-gonna-happen hope, but having just watched Event Horizon for the first time in half a decade I wonder if there will be a creepy abandoned space station somewhere. :magical:

Especially as a mod for Reunion, as you can clump around on stations, or, say, the Costaguana, a Mothership of the Nostromo....

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 19, 2013

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

Fuzzy dice.

Magic tree's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mxs6A1byIo

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think option 4 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jHsq36_NTU

Or, as we are talking about basically artificial wormholes, what's not to say they create a flat gravity field a radius around the gates? resulting in the odd "flying characteristics" of craft used in such a phenomena.
(Its option 3).

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a similar problem, I think changing the tracks to wav or something solved it in the end.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
looking at an xrm thread I came across this: "MARS Data File
Updated 28.11.12

MARS Data File for XRM v1.27

Simply drop this file into your "t" folder. You must be running MARS v5.08 or later. "

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=304158

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the worlds worst arsehole, I installed xe tc on my neighbors computer a while back, and forgot about it, and him, as a matter of fact, it seems he got addicted to it, a month or so back he popped up and said "thanks muchly for the game, is there anything else like that?" I burned off my tc and ap install and said "enjoy, and there is another game coming out soon, its supposed to be impressive..." I went to his a week or two ago to find he had discovered egosofts forum, and all that, and was trying to set up a steam account to get X Afterbirth. I spent a couple of days watching Jim, for thats his name, become more and more apalled. bullet dodged, I guess.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

One word of warning: the sector takeover feature can really screw up your plans if the Argon take over a formerly unoccupied sector and blow up your spaceweedplex. Not that this happened to me recently...

Unexpected poo poo other factions get up to that does not involve the bsod is pretty much what I'd call a feature, I'd suggest ripping off an argon or whatever trading post and plonking that down somewhere unoccupied, and claiming the sector. at least that keeps blues from jacking your poo poo, while giving people who want to crush you something appealing to attack, aka, a trap.

For actual advice: some of our plugins or mods we use will not play happily with each other,
simply because the mod manager does not make it clear that you can actually set up a cat/dat system of your own, allowing more than one "fake patch".
some basics of that : get ap up to version 3.xx, the cat/dat stuff thats in a vanilla game will be your base, (ap lives inside tc, relying on its cat/dat stuff for the underlying universe, you want to make all split ships puke green? you faff with the tc cat/dat stuff.)
your own fake patches will go into your ap install, after the base game, an example, bounce and mobile ship repair are practically indispensable, yet you cannot use both at once, unless you fake patch both, most of the rest of the mods will however, play aright with each other.

edit, there we go, so, while your automatic trade empire slowly grows, using your mk 3 traders, and your explorers are finding strange new worlds, smoking dem phat blunts and generally sexing the wildlife, you can go about the fun business of adjusting your standings slowly upward, capping practically everything in sight, including ko'ohck and stations, moving those stations to wherever they are needed, taking over sectors, again, with the obvious loss from that faction, that you can recoup by sending spacesuits (sometimes from the very ships you capped), towards stations, trade, profittssss from capping, and so on, in a more natural sandbox kleptomaniac way.
a lot of the plugins are very configurable, and I really recommend doing so, it can make the usually enjoyable progression of being spacefly poo poo nothing to Shaddam IV (otherwise known as playing the game). incredibly abrupt. so try with different configs of each of the red plugins.
the yellow ones basically backup the red ones and extend them. the rest being flavour, and some having no practical use.
use the advanced part of the mod installer to sort out fake patches, and have fun.

Pt 2 : X prematurely ejaculated stillbirth. is a bit long and it would probably put off a lot of people, but even put off, those desperate for xgoodness would still buy it.
I just finished the main plot, also known as the tutorial where you are forced to deal with a buggy mess. the ego forums are abuzz with people wanting to add stuff on to the shell of the game, as bernd expected, so, yeah, business as usual, tc, and then ap are mainly player made mods, "officially sanctiond" and released by ego, for more cash. expect more of the same, although I hate to admit it, I am looking forward to modding more crap into this game as well.
at least ego kept the best ship in the game : the mamba.
Its up to people to mod more meaningful content into the game, if you don't like that, blame the business model egosoft and and bethesda seem to have carved out, although bethesda actually manage to do console releases and port them back to pc. something bernd seems to envy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

staberind fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 7, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Not a zero-content bump

Bolding mine, I've included links where necessary.

If they can survive a year, they could make the game good, although I'm still not hearing anything about fighters.

OTOH, Elite should be out within six months.

Aka: we saw how people have attempted to fix the most glaring bugs, and have incorporated the mods into the game, a la everything after x3. have a look at Rogueys site, he was one of the NDA testers and is understandably upset at the dogs dinner that was released.
Well, at least XR got me a little more interested in XML.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Backov posted:

But dude, NPCs and you get to walk around in stations!

Or crawl around.

I have not actually kept up to date with X:R, Last time I played people had modded some of the more jarring problems,
like, uh, having to go into stations.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
IR 2.0 seems to cut out some of the stuff from the 1.7 branch, so I stick with 1.7.
I also use the tc plots in ap, it turns off the contested red zones in ap, so, with ir's hot war set nicely, there is a lot of fighting still going on, but with standings positive to both Argons & Terrans, my poo poo does not get nuked. chuck in npc bailing addon, set it to very low and finally get salvage command suite.

I decided to buy X-Rebirth, mainly to legitimise bashing it, but also to see if a totally different "System Takeover" type game is possible to be salvaged from it, with the Xenon zerging from the other end of the present map. Also, with a Russian vpn, I got it for about 12 euro. So I have the npc's with a thousand yard stare. Awesome.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

WraithMind posted:

The game engine is like fifteen years old, it'll only use one core so everything that goes wrong is probably because of the cpu bottleneck.

You can always tab out, open task manager, click on the xxx.exe process, set it to use your first core, accept, then set it to use all your cores, accept, and tab back in, with two monitors you can see it spread the load across all cores then.
I say xxzx.exe, as this can be used for a few different games and apps. I could be dramatically wrong.
I have an i5 with a similar setup, booting off an ssd, with a secondary ssd for games, 8 gig, not so oc'd.
I also have a xeon 2011, but I have not tried running any games on that, I am pretty sure the bottleneck with that will not be the processor.

The Real Tony.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Its fairly well known that Egosoft have been trying to enter the console market.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, you beat me to it, I started with mk 2 weapons though.

kedo posted:

So what's the gooncensus with the patch? Is the game finally worth investing at least a little bit of time in? I've left it installed but untouched since launch and am itching to get back into a space game of some sort.

Do the new game starts still have a storyline attached?

The beta looks alright, flew around in a merc start, simplified but weirder cockpit, still only one ship so far, so I will let them patch in an actual game, perhaps more actual pilot-able ships too...

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
What mods did you want to use?
I have not encountered problems between tc & ap use, however some mods do not play well together, hence false patches and so on.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Due to vpning the russian version, I am hamstrung for the sale, but will get around that I think, while it is better than 1, (obv due to looking at mods and incorporating them), its still styrene foam to x3's space diamond lattice frame.

Either play X3:AP
or:

ProTip. Go and get Kinetic Void. make giant space gundam mans, support a really nicely thought out galaxy sim.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227160/

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634824

It's got a goon on the team, its got mad potential and Newtonian physics makes an appearance.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I would agree with pretty much all of VDay's points, because, even if a mod like "5 star ship crew" negates the meaningless minigame, or "n.e.s.a" means that you practically never need to wander around finding farmer giles the space farmer to sell him/her some space.. uh, soil, you are still stuck in whats practically an m3+ the entire game, which then makes everything just seem desolate.

Regarding Kinetic Void,
the controls are somewhat counter intuitive, (but nothing stops me from remapping stuff internally or externally,) flying around in space is allright, the real draw for me is making awkward looking spacebuggies, it still has a way to go,

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there even a chance that they can properly fix Rebirth? Like, is it not so fundamentally broken that it's never going to be worth it at this point?

Properly fixing it involves ditching the interaction system, creating cockpits or bridges of all the other ships ingame.
fixing the trading system, re-introducing the 3 eyes and fishguys and creating assets, ships, stations and so on for them, the list is very long.

Their attitude seems to be: "the game is fine, its a financial success, but we will tweak it here and there as you are all babbies".

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

I asked this a while back but the thread wasn't nearly as active for it, so here it is again: is CODEA or Anarkis Defense System better, AP wise?

Also, I've been curious about M0 ship mods but I can't find anything on those.

I seem to not use either, I have heard good things about codea.
I do use mars though, and its blisteringly good, anthing that has turrets becomes about 400% more lethal, for M0, Have a look at X-Tra ship and station pack.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Office Thug posted:

I found an un-targettable Goner Ozias in one of the unfocussed jump sectors and I'm wondering if there's anything you can do with it?

Get the salvage command script. http://www.tecsg.co.uk/scs/scs411.zip Latest version.

In fact, there is a small chance SCS will spawn another aran, aka a mobile repair ship. I have a bad habit of reloading until I get one.

staberind fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 25, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
To un-lobotomise capital ships, or, indeed, anything with turrets, get mars.
I looked at the whole marine training thing a few years ago and thought "gently caress that noise"; I use Nividium's "Ship Hijacker", it requires computer components and a transporter device & can be used on anything apart from m1-m2, & can be used on stations.

There is another similar hijacker, that requires you to also have system override software.
Their use on stations can have interesting results, especially ka'ahk stations. xenon shipyards are pointless, but the regular xenon stations can be fun.
both will get you the elusive Q. Npc bailing will very rarely get you a xenon capship as well.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

I'll try MARS, but the M2+ Pteranodon's front batteries aren't actually turrets, but regular aimed and fired weapons. I'll check if its better anyway tho.

Edit: Nah, exact same outcome, it has 6-7km range to work with, but it sticks it's nose within 50m of the target and then painfully turns around and tries to fly 6km away again before attacking again. Holy poo poo it's disgusting to look at.

Eventually the Split sendt a response fleet to deal with the Brigantine while my M2+ had switched targets to a fighterdrone instead and was chasing it around with Photon Pulse Cannons.

0:30 in this vid for anyone that have no idea what i'm talking about, this is even against a stationary target. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zdv0mJNGWI

erm. mars takes care of poo poo that you don't want to flip views/turrets to kill, the combat ai is still as trash as ever regarding flying into stuff, flying around stuff, and so on, bounce can help with that, but then you have to have mars and bounce as fake patches.

I suggest actually piloting and shooting stuff, or orbiting, letting mars tear stuff up, but sitting there doing nothing gets you nowhere unless you have a certain ship (*khaak destroyer)

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been wheeling around in my supercharged kha'ack destroyer, enjoying x3 in a way impossible to achieve in rebirth, menu's are hardly egosoft's strong point, but at least x3's were flexible and hotkeyable, due to modders making it work.
Menu's are the very least of their worries, if they want people to buy their next obnoxious backseat space driving simulator

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also, for those that have not tried it, XTL is also excellent. as far as eve offline is concerned, there was a megamod with eve ships floating about, but I have no idea what happened to it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

sloshmonger posted:

If you're just looking to get out of the little ships, you can also abuse Litcube to give yourself the money and standings to get yourself started quickly. If you open one of the starts and run an export through Litcube, every single detail of your empire can be modified with a text editor. Give yourself a billion credits and standings to buy an M1 from Argon? Sure.

Yes, it's cheating, but the hard part of the game isn't getting credits, it's getting an empire.

Editing the saves of rebirth, just to unjank missions and so on, gave me the power of CHIM as well, there is a lot about rebirth I like under the hood, its a pity the game is so crap, but I point blank refuse to edit x3 savegames, its the struggle to survive at the beginning, in a squishy M5 M4 or if you are lucky, an M3 that makes your first M6 so rewarding, but, I can see the fun of just starting a game to lay waste to everything.
I think my favorite ships are probably the Kha`ak from the Cadius pack, they are so garish and unlike anything else in the game, tactical laser flamingo insect dragons. like taking a Hind-E to a knife fight.

Ah, for those of a kleppy nature, the ship hijack mod, along with npc bailing does ease the beginning a bit, adding improved races and making as many races hate each other as possible, and using scs, gets you out of the first few days of space hobo very quickly.

staberind fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 8, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

I picked this up in some Steam sale or other, but never got around to really playing it. Starting with the recommended Argon start, I get a mission telling me to "help the war effort". How do I do that? Charge into Terran territory and start blowing poo poo up?

Second: where can I sell the ships I've captured?

Also, I've picked up some mission to go and fetch a stranded ship, but either the ship gets blown up or I'm too slow because the bloody thing is a lumbering behemot. Is there any way to speed this up?

Aiding the war effort is basically molesting whatever terran ships you see, 'splode a few and the mission will update with some instructions.
stranded ship?
To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom. ha ha haaaa..... seriously though, a jumpdrive is your friend for stranded ships and suchlike, the capped ships can be sold at practically any shipyard that allows them to dock, or you can get salvage claim software 4.11 and sell them remotely from your cockpit. the nearest shipyard will buy it, it will turn blue, dump everything in its hold, and begin its trek to it, you get your creds immediatly, even if it blows up seconds later, its useful if you manage to cap something in an unfriendly situation, also, you can buddy jump it out of the area with scs provided you have the software on your ship, a jumpdrive and enough ecells. useful for a couple of xenon sectors you will come across.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Eh, a good post, as I'll probably find myself asking the same thing, could you give a brief outline of stuff when you have a handle on it ?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the mod/plugin manager Is actually quite useful, inasmuch as you can merge a bunch of smaller mods easily, or, un-archive everything, making a big folder you can just drop onto the basegame and finally you can fool about with fake patch order.

I think the only reason people don't use the manager is that everyone forgets that file it randomly installs that breaks a few mods, see, I forgot it as well, is it dummies.txt ? its not tships or anything, duuuuurrr.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phraggah posted:

This is an amazing, especially with a drone script like MARS' running, and I want it to happen.

Unrelated:

With great power comes great responsibility

(click for youtube)

I was trying to learn NURBS and spline modeling :science:

I would unironically put down cash dolla if I could fly that in Roberts space industries whores, drugs, and booze slushfund.
Its majesty is only matched by its repellancy.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
A Goatce space "dock".
probably best for the argon "can" style trading stations.
Bonus points for getting the ring to glow.

I should learn nurbs as well.

Also maybe a certain huge teethed wonky eyed celebrity well loved by goons could have their head converted to a death star.

staberind fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 2, 2014

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, thanks for the 840 update info as well.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mamba, best m3. jus sayin' bigup my split bretheren.

Eclipse are alright, bit slow, but tough. they are a bit pricy tho'. if you have npc bailing addon and scs, you can cap one, and get it going faster than usual.

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Walton Simons posted:

I'm getting back into this as it seems Rebirth is unsalvageable, last one I played was TC some 4 years ago.

I could never be bothered with the plot in X2 or either of the X3s so I'm not sure whether to pick the custom start with no plot. Does it significantly gimp the game to the point where I should at least suffer a couple of missions to open up the whole game? Playing with the Rebalance mod.

e: I should probably clarify I like the X games the most when I feel like I'm just one guy making his way in the X-Universe rather than being the Chosen One as in Skyrim and such but I do like a bit of background like the Kh'aak/Xenon being a nuisance in X2, so I don't want it to be static and sterile.

The latest X game that most people think is worth playing would be, as the thread title suggests, AP 3.0, however, there are a few special sectors that are practically instant death for any of your non-piloted ships, regardless of standings, so, a cheap way of getting around that is to use the tc plots in ap mod, and chose something less centrally plot driven, I usually choose the piraty start, gives you an M3, not such a good reputation and you can unlock the plot if you wish to as you go along by improving standings and so on.

AP is still in roughly the same environment as TC, with a few GUI upgrades and extra ships.

• Locked thread