Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Is there a way to go into the war sectors and push one side out so thoroughly that it stops being a war sector? It'll be nice to send ships through without having to worry about them getting shot in the crossfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

What are good missiles to use for what purposes? And is there a way to get a reliable supply of them other than building your own factory?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hopefully the ship will also be altered to accommodate whatever modifications you do. I could not help noticing, for instance, that it does not have any turrets, and I like my ship to have some turrets to keep me safe from angles other than the one I happen to be looking in at any given moment.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I figured there would be, but thanks for confirming it.

Are they there on the model and I don't see them, or they aren't shown because you don't start with them, or what?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

ElZilcho posted:

The user rating is still beating SimCity.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity

Probably because for as much poo poo as X Rebirth gets, at least if it doesn't run, it's not because "Egosoft's server fell down."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

You need a hired pilot in passengers to claim them, it is implemented, but there's hardly any point. You can't repair small ships and they're worth nothing if you want to sell them.

Is that what pilots are for? They're one of the many NPCs you can hire, but what most of them actually do is not explained anywhere that I could find.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the reason Rebirth is selling so well is because it got a relatively big marketing push, compared to the others, which had been around for a while by the time they hit Steam. Rebirth was on Steam right from the word go, and while they're not required to have a big PC release, they're pretty much the five hundred pound gorilla.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Out of curiosity and for unrelated reasons, I checked the metascore of my games list on Steam. X Rebirth is the lowest, at 34. The next game up is The Scourge Project at 44, which I got in some bundle during a Halloween sale and wanted to be kind of Gears of War-ish. I can't even find its store page on Steam.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That's one of the pissers about it. Eve Online and the X series are not the same game by any stretch, but they're similar enough that they should be paying attention to each other. And when Eve was going to add "you can get out of your ship and walk around on stations," the player base was displeased, to put it lightly. The general reaction, as I recall, was to the tune of "why the hell are you wasting resources on letting people in your SPACESHIP GAME get out of the spaceships that are the entire reason they play?"

And that was with Eve promising to add a point to getting out of your ship.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't think MARS is as critical in AP as it was in TC. Your TC turrets were dumb as a sack of hammers, with only a handful of terrible targeting profiles available. AP turrets can have various kinds of profiles set up, so if your preferred priorities are "missiles, then fighters attacking me, then any hostile fighters, then anything within reach," you can tell it to do that, and it will swap weapons in an intelligent manner. So it'll automatically load up Phased Repeater Guns to shoot at the M5 buzzing around your ears, then High Energy Plasma Throwers to ruin the day of the M3 that's riding your rear end.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You should definitely never sell that Prototype Nova, because it's the only one in the game, and it's better than the other Novas. Later in the game (and I mean much later), you can reverse engineer it so you can make more.

I would keep the Advanced Discoverer you're given for the same reason: it is the only one of its kind in the game. But it's an M5, and M5s are basically crap, so if you're strapped for cash and don't think you're going to need to cross the universe to undiscovered territory and then have your other ships jump to you any time soon, you can unload it so you can fart around on the stock market.

Or you can do what Hav did and sell the Centaur, since the Centaur can just be bought at a shipyard anyway. Or you can go directly to a Heavy Centaur or Skiron.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

A really good review of it is if you load up steam, go to the rebirth purchase page, scroll down to the bottom and a guy has 200+ hours played wrote a nice review of everything wrong with the game and it's pretty spot on.

That one has scrolled away, I think. Can you find it and post the text of it or a link here?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can transfer the jump drive, but if you don't have a teleporter for remote cargo transfer, then you need to dock at a station to move it over.

The ship will jump automatically if you have it configured to do so. I forget how to set that up, unfortunately. I think by default, it'll jump if you're more than two systems away?

I don't know if the ship you found is worth using, but as for getting everything home, what I would do is move the jump drive and cells to it, jump home, and then order your (I assume) faster ship to fly somewhere. It'll take time, obviously, but it should get to where you want it.

Mosquito missiles are pretty poo poo. As you have noticed, they're light, cheap, and fast, but also incredibly weak. The proper use for Mosquito missiles is as anti-missile or anti-drone interceptors. You can configure your turrets to handle this for you with one of the official plug-ins, but since you already used that script to find this stuff in the first place, your save is tagged Modified anyway.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It should be noted that Argon have both regular ships, and OTAS ships, which are only available in Legend's Home. OTAS ships are really, really good.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I noticed recently that there's DLC for X: Rebirth. I assume that I shouldn't get all sunk cost fallacy and buy the DLC, because Rebirth is still bad?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I doubt I've gotten to the parts where the DLC changes anything, but I'm enjoying it well enough. Trading is a decent way to make money if you have a ship with enough space, and you want to do something that doesn't require you to pay a whole lot of attention. This has the same problem Rebel Galaxy did, where theoretically you can make money as a trader, but in practice the volume of goods you'd need to move in order to make a comfortable living simply does not exist. X3 has a similar issue, but that's basically a big flashing "build factories, get rich" sign, and factories don't exist in Starpoint Gemini 2 or Rebel Galaxy.

I wouldn't call SPG2 "arcadey," really, more "consoley," sort of a midpoint between Rebel Galaxy's actiony broadside-based combat and X3's big ship and turret based combat.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the OP needs to be updated with "Rebirth came out, don't buy it because it's poo poo."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think that what went wrong with Rebirth, and keep in mind that this is pieced together from things that are half remembered rumors and speculation so I may be talking out of my rear end, is that it was originally meant to be an unrelated console game. However, things went wrong, so they retrofitted it into an X game for PC, with obviously less than stellar results.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Not to mention the fact that it just made poo poo take longer and was tedious. Instead of docking at a station, accessing a menu to do your buying and selling, and moving on; you had to dock, get out, run around the station to find all the people you needed, and then get back in your ship and fly away.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Node posted:

I read the OP, I watched a couple videos, but I still couldn't get into this game. The learning curve is a cliff. And its especially bad starting as the Master Race (Terran) because you don't get any good missions at the start? Or something like that. I didn't know what to do.

I think the issue with trying to roll as Terran is that none of the weapons you can find in the rest of the universe are compatible with your ships. If you need more guns or missiles or something, you have to either hope that the factory hasn't stalled out or go set up the factory yourself.

Less of a concern, but still a concern, is that the Terran weapons are very "jack of all trades"-ish. They're seldom bad for their intended role, but never the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Being in VR won't make Rebirth good.

• Locked thread