Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

What is Exalted?

Exalted is a game that emulates Epic Fantasy through the Wuxia lense on a world called Creation that floats on a sea of chaos. Long ago great heroes were uplifted by the Gods to strike down the Primordials, Titans who created the world, and against all odds succeeded. After the war concluded one issue arose, there was no way to take back the power that had been given.

The Exalted, all wielding immense power and with the Will to reshape the world as they see fit for a time try to rule and build a better world, but in the following centuries these heroes fell into greed, corruption and madness until the worst had to put down for the good of Creation and society has limped along ever since.

The game takes place as Creation is pushed to the brink, surrounded by enemies and split by internal conflict, just as everything looks it's darkest Exalted heroes return in mass, which may be more of a curse than a blessing. Larger than life Heroes clash, trying to determine the future of the world.

Doesn't this game have horrible mechanics?

Well it's a White Wolf book, so yes. In the past it worked slightly better than the mess that was Second Edition, but right now Third Edition is on its way and has some promise of being a vast improvement.

Thrid Edition? Why should I think that this will be any better than the last?

The current writing staff has proven much more adept at implementing interesting and balanced combat design than previous writers, who its suspect if they even played the game.

So who are the Exalted?

The Exalted a mortal heroes up lifted by the God as meantioned above. By the end of Second Edition there was seven distinct flavors of Exalt, Third Edition has announce a total of ten.

Solars

Chosen of the Unconquered Sun the Solars represent Human Excellence, but are also the notorious Mad God Kings who nearly destroyed the world. They've returned after a two thousand year absence for the last days of the Second Age of Man, to save it or destroy it.

Dragon-Blooded

Elemental Super Soldiers, Chosen of the Elemental Dragons, they are formerly the Lieutenants of the Solars vast armies, they rose up and struck their mad lords down, now they rule the Center of Creation.

Sidereals

The Chosen of Fate, the Sidereals were once advised the Solars as their vizers, when they decided their lords were too mad and corrupt to rule, they helped the Dragon-Blooded rise up. Today they try to run Creation from the Shadows, the puppetmasters behind the throne.

Lunars

Shapeshifting Champions of Luna, Lunars have a long and complicated history, mostly developmentally. We don't know how they've changed in Third Edition, but we do know they have a much bigger presence, fighting to take the Center of Creation.

Abyssals

Chosen of the Neverborn, the stolen power of the Solar Exalt turned towards Death, strange champions either trying to destroy the world or find some place for themselves in it.

Infernals

Again the stolen power of the Solar Exalted, this time corrupted by the demonic Yozi to carry their vengeance back to a world they can no longer touch.

Alchemicals

Heroic souls implanted into robot like golem bodies, Champions of the Machine God, for five thousand years have lived in Exile within their God's body, now they've returned, desperate to save the people who depend on them, their God and maybe even Creation.

Exigents

The first of the new Exalts in Third Edition, a power in Creation allows lesser Gods to Exalt mortal Champions, but this power can be lost, stolen and misused. Exigents are advertised a tool box Exalts, each a unique entity.

Liminals

Another addition to Exalted Third Edition, the Liminals are new, Exalted, life breathed into a dead body. They are not the dead brought back to life, but something new. Exalted by a new force in the Underworld called the Dark Mother they wander Creation fighting the restless souls of the dead trying to figure out what they are.

Getimians

The last new Exalt, not much is known about them yet, only that they're engaged in a shadow war with Heaven and the Sidereals.

So what else has been announced?

There's been a lot of previews and spoilers, most of them have been collected here.

Okay, I'm interested, how can I get a book?

As of right now there's a Kickstarter running to get the book printed, a PDF will run you 30 bucks, a dead tree version costs 110. You can find more details here.

So what's this I've been hearing about a Controversy

Recently the Developers put up preview of Abyssal with, to put it mildly, some very disturbing and upsetting Charms. The issue has swell well past that at this point, with the Developers seeming to simultaneously apologize and double down on the Charms. At this point a lot of people feel betrayed by a Development team that swore they'd rise above previous Editions and seem to be making some of the same missteps.

While this thread was made to give this topic as clean a break as possible, as until the Developers get their message straight there's not much more to say, I see no reason not to talk about it, but I'd recommend to only comment on new developments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Quote from other thread:

Sparda219 posted:

On a much more awesome topic yes, the art for the new solars is awesome. I also like how the fandom's general assumptions for the perceived race of the characters were pretty much all wrong. I also assumed Perfect Soul was going to be a blonde white girl but then bam, gorgeous mocha realness. I am definitely all up for such a diverse group of heroes. I'm very interested in how Shen's ambiguity in his loyalties will alter how he interacts with the others. How much fealty does he carry for the Realm as an entity?

The art is awesome, does anyone have information as to the history of these solars... I must admit I am not as deep in the reading material as most on these boards. Was Perfect Soul mentioned somewhere before the release of the art?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Figure this might get better discussion over here:

Nightskye posted:

This is the greatest thing, in my mind. I love the idea of the Infernals being the guys who look back at the worst excesses of the First Age and think "gently caress yes! Bring THAT back!" It makes the yozis just... unimaginably petty.

Riffing off of this for a moment... I've never really liked the idea that Infernals are chosen from the people who failed to live up to a Solar Exaltation. It always felt flat and boring and frankly CAPSLOCKGIRL covered all the reasons I don't like it better than I probably could.

So here's a thought--Infernal Exaltations look for people who felt betrayed, wronged, or stolen from--rightly or wrongly--and undertook some tremendous, noteworthy act in vengeance. It's that second part that's key, and that keeps the Infernals in the same "heroic" vein as Solars and Abyssals. Suddenly Infernals aren't the loser schlubs who couldn't hack it, they're the red-handed revengers who rose up out of spite and rage to tear down those who would wrong them. The Yozis see in them kindred souls and think "surely, this one understands our pain. Surely this one will see the rightness of our cause." The fact that the Yozis don't really get humans or their motivations and thus can't really distinguish between Sweeney Todd and Bruce Wayne is a feature that enables actual, heroic Infernals a valid thing without necessarily retreading the renegade Abyssal "at what price power?" theme and allows said characters to exist alongside (antagonistic, NPC) kill puppies for satan-caliber evil morons.

More importantly, though, if the iconic Solar party is Gilgamesh, Moses, and Arjuna, the iconic Infernal party is John Matrix, Batman, and the Count of Monte Cristo. Motorhead is the soundtrack. And it is awesome.*

* Contains 100% USDA recommended serving of "Lillun? What the gently caress is wrong with you?"

Also repeating over here: For folks who aren't down with the crunch-heavy rules approach Exalted has always taken (and by all accounts will continue to take in 3E), I've been working on a Cortex+ hack of the game, taking Fantasy Heroic Roleplaying as the base (but with some inspiration from Cortex+ Drama and Cortex+ Action). TG goons are a smart bunch, I'd love some feedback.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Bardlebee posted:

Quote from other thread:

The art is awesome, does anyone have information as to the history of these solars... I must admit I am not as deep in the reading material as most on these boards. Was Perfect Soul mentioned somewhere before the release of the art?

Perfect Soul is the Zenith. She Exalted when she smashed a statue of the Unconquered Sun in a rage, and the Unconquered Sun knew what it felt like to be betrayed, so he made her one of his Chosen. She's the heir of the Amirate of Jiara, and is fighting against Mnemon to throw off the yoke of the Realm.

Prince Diamond is the Eclipse. He's a Dereth of the Delzahn, and in our context would be a trans man. He's on a far ride, a Delzahn custom where you take on the sins of a family member and exile yourself for them. The exile lasts until one's death, and many far riders seek to die well and heroically - Prince Diamond has seen Perfect Soul's cause as something worth dying for.

Shen is a martial arts sorcerer, and apparently still an agent of House Iselsi, which means that he's working for the Realm while working to overthrow Mnemon. It's suggested that Novia Claro, the Night Caste of the group, might be smart enough to suss out what Shen is all about, which deeply concerns him.

I don't know much about the others, if anything has been put out.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bardlebee posted:

http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1635973#post1635973

quote:

Her name is Perfect Soul, and her Exaltation happens when she denounces the gods who have abandoned her and smashes a shrine to the Unconquered Sun in her fury. In that moment, he felt connected to her, for he knew what it was like to be betrayed and to turn his back.

quote:

...the Amirate of Jiara, where the new signature Zenith Perfect Soul (also heir to the Khidara Dynasty of Jiara) is waging a war to throw Mnemon out on her rear end

quote:

Prince Diamond’s far ride brings him to Jiara. He sees the war Perfect Soul is waging against House Mnemon and feels compelled. He believes that Jiara is possibly the last stop on his long and endless journey.

quote:

Jiara's leader is Perfect Soul, Twelfth Divine Amirah of the Khidara Dynasty.
Jiara features a blend of Persian and Mayan architecture.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

GimpInBlack posted:

So here's a thought--Infernal Exaltations look for people who felt betrayed, wronged, or stolen from--rightly or wrongly--and undertook some tremendous, noteworthy act in vengeance. It's that second part that's key, and that keeps the Infernals in the same "heroic" vein as Solars and Abyssals. Suddenly Infernals aren't the loser schlubs who couldn't hack it, they're the red-handed revengers who rose up out of spite and rage to tear down those who would wrong them. The Yozis see in them kindred souls and think "surely, this one understands our pain. Surely this one will see the rightness of our cause." The fact that the Yozis don't really get humans or their motivations and thus can't really distinguish between Sweeney Todd and Bruce Wayne is a feature that enables actual, heroic Infernals a valid thing without necessarily retreading the renegade Abyssal "at what price power?" theme and allows said characters to exist alongside (antagonistic, NPC) kill puppies for satan-caliber evil morons.

I can see this being a fantastic idea. Revenge-heroism is a great way to exalt. Imagine you are getting back at those who kill your family. You rage is what fuels you beyond that of a normal mortal, all the hate and hell you feel inside, you wish to poor unto them. When you are just about to die from blood loss, you exalt.

I like this a lot.

EDIT: Thanks for the links!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I wonder who'll be stress testing the system when they finally get all of the mechanics together?

Lymond
May 30, 2013

Dark Lord in training
Perfect Soul has two things going for her. First, she looks really cool. Second, she's not Panther. I consider her a downpayment in the "we're fixing things, honestly" promise.

(For the unitiated: see here and here)

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
I couldn't stand how unsaturated those sig pictures looked so I hosed with them a bit in CS.

I still find them really bland to look at besides Perfect Soul. Too bad about her retarded rear end name.

Lymond posted:

Perfect Soul has two things going for her. First, she looks really cool. Second, she's not Panther. I consider her a downpayment in the "we're fixing things, honestly" promise.

(For the unitiated: see here and here)

That reminds me, in my North centered game I had an insane Panther and Abyssal-ified Dace, Harmonious Jade and Arianna waiting for my group's mixed Circle at the top of the Lover's tower. Yes, he was still a Solar. Yes, he was a completely worthless preachy shitbag. Yes, they punched him off its roof and had a mid-air battle while falling their their respective deaths (but not really!)

For the Coup de grâce, the Unconquered Sun showed up as he was dying just to rub it in his face about how awful he was.

Xelkelvos posted:

So I wonder who'll be stress testing the system when they finally get all of the mechanics together?

No one because they're too dense to run a beta test of any of this. Unlike, say.. 13th Age and other recent games.

e: forgot my reply

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 31, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

GimpInBlack posted:

Figure this might get better discussion over here:

Riffing off of this for a moment... I've never really liked the idea that Infernals are chosen from the people who failed to live up to a Solar Exaltation. It always felt flat and boring and frankly CAPSLOCKGIRL covered all the reasons I don't like it better than I probably could.

You know, I actually changed up that one before I ever used Infernals. I only know one person who has as much of an interest as I do in Aristotelian virtues, but I think they're great background knowledge for playing with Exalted because of the intended social milieu and mythic assumptions. The way I liked to handle it was that someone exhibited all the character traits, that burning spirit, which you need to become a Solar, but in your moment of truth, circumstances result in a catastrophe beyond your control instead of you failing due to your own character. Instead of them being inferior Solars, the could-have-beens, I made them into the might-have-beens who had been betrayed by petty circumstances and incidental happenings. I felt like the Yozi, world-entities brought to bended knee by a few thousand angry sprigs of mistletoe, would empathize.

I thought this was interesting because it made the Infernals more compelling characters, and gave Sidereal Akuma, demons, and loyalist Infernals an interest in subverting heroic moments in subtle ways. Nowadays, I am not sure I would do it the same way and wonder if something even further from the original should be used. Your thing would probably have too much overlap with how I like to view Abyssals for my tastes, but it's very good for creating strong characters!

Also, CAPSLOCKGIRL has some good commentary in that thread about why I almost never wanted to play a Solar in 2e despite really liking their original portrayal and the kind of stories you tell with them. I love being the renegade opposed to the established corrupt order looking to revolt and build a better world, and in turn having to deal with all the problems that the original Empire had to deal with. I was turned off by the setting trying too hard to make Solars the Ultimate Designated Heroes of Perfect Shining Supremacy to the point where playing one did not sufficiently feel like playing an underdog mercenary dirtbag Anathema looking to overturn the Realm's perfect order. I hope, in 3E, they are not so much infinitely ultimate as the spoiler in the millenia-long cold war deadlock between Sidereals, Elementals, Lunars, Dragonblooded, Gods, and other players.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

Strength of Many posted:

No one because they're too dense to run a beta test of any of this. Unlike, say.. 13th Age and other recent games.

e: forgot my reply

"If we show them the game, they'll criticize us, and Exalted fans are really mean!" seems to be the justification behind this.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Bardlebee posted:

I can see this being a fantastic idea. Revenge-heroism is a great way to exalt. Imagine you are getting back at those who kill your family. You rage is what fuels you beyond that of a normal mortal, all the hate and hell you feel inside, you wish to poor unto them. When you are just about to die from blood loss, you exalt.

I like this a lot.

EDIT: Thanks for the links!

Thanks! I think it carves them out an interesting space separate from Abyssals (who are often also linked thematically to vengeance, but in more of an "I will return to get the revenge I couldn't in life" way) or Solars (whose Exaltations are more immediate and cathartic, even when revenge is the theme).

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Also, CAPSLOCKGIRL has some good commentary in that thread about why I almost never wanted to play a Solar in 2e despite really liking their original portrayal and the kind of stories you tell with them. I love being the renegade opposed to the established corrupt order looking to revolt and build a better world, and in turn having to deal with all the problems that the original Empire had to deal with. I was turned off by the setting trying too hard to make Solars the Ultimate Designated Heroes of Perfect Shining Supremacy to the point where playing one did not sufficiently feel like playing an underdog mercenary dirtbag Anathema looking to overturn the Realm's perfect order. I hope, in 3E, they are not so much infinitely ultimate as the spoiler in the millenia-long cold war deadlock between Sidereals, Elementals, Lunars, Dragonblooded, Gods, and other players.

Yes. All of this. Without exception. Also, I totally dig your Aristotelian Virtues pitch. For me, at least, the big thematic difference between Infernals and Abyssals (insofar as the process of their Exaltation) is that Abyssals are driven by something they need to do (even if that's just "live forever") and Infernals are haunted by something they have done. An Abyssal Exalts at the moment she says "No, not before I get revenge/tell him I loved him/warn my people/etc." An Infernal Exalts at the moment he looks around at the smoking ruin of his victory and says "What now?" And a voice out of the corners of time answers "Weeeeeeelllllllll..."

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 31, 2013

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Seems one of the new Martial Arts styles in the 3E core will be about beating the poo poo out of people with a ladder. This I've gotta see.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

Seems one of the new Martial Arts styles in the 3E core will be about beating the poo poo out of people with a ladder. This I've gotta see.
Wasn't there a Jackie Chan-style MA all about smacking people around with improvised weapons, or am I making that up?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Wasn't there a Jackie Chan-style MA all about smacking people around with improvised weapons, or am I making that up?

I dunno, everything I know about Exalted either comes from this thread, the developers, or Ferrinus.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Oligopsony posted:

First Pulse, Solar Hero, Infernal Monster, and Dark Messiah all count "Improvised Weapons" as acceptable form weapons for the style. First Pulse is literally Exalted Street Fighting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

First Pulse, Solar Hero, Infernal Monster, and Dark Messiah all count "Improvised Weapons" as acceptable form weapons for the style. First Pulse is literally Exalted Street Fighting.
Didn't Dark Messiah, in addition, grant some specific benefit from using dead bodies or coffins as weapons?

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Considering that a dagger and a whip are now considered in the same genre as "light" I can see a "ladder style" being probably the coolest thing I ever heard. I mean, who hasn't wanted to make a Jackie Chan type kung fu hero?

I am being completely serious, here. This sounds like it has potential.

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?

Nessus posted:

Didn't Dark Messiah, in addition, grant some specific benefit from using dead bodies or coffins as weapons?
I think there was a charm that made it so that if you used the dead bodies or torn parts from your enemies as weapons against your foes you could force people to make morale checks or run away pissing themselves.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think it doubled stunt bonuses for descriptions involving excessive cruelty (which, not to bring the Issues From The Other Thread into here, is IMO an example of bringing in horrible poo poo the right way, since the exact expression of it is up to the player.)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

I think it doubled stunt bonuses for descriptions involving excessive cruelty (which, not to bring the Issues From The Other Thread into here, is IMO an example of bringing in horrible poo poo the right way, since the exact expression of it is up to the player.)

I'd max my stunt every time through excessive cruelty to my fellow players with belabored yet perfunctory narration of every single action :twisted:

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

I've been digging through 1e books along with some other people I know after all of this 'we're going back to our ROOTS!' stuff they keep clamoring on about with 3e and, after reading a few tidbits, I'm a bit.. surprised by what I've found. In light of recent garbage, I present for you men, women, and children of all ages; the infamous Lunars 1e sidebar.

Its.. surprisingly mature about this. Which is ironic given events as of late.

Then another friend linked this and .. yeah.

I wonder if we'll get similar prefacing?

e: whoops, forgot abyssals

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 31, 2013

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'd max my stunt every time through excessive cruelty to my fellow players with belabored yet perfunctory narration of every single action :twisted:
Oh yeah, my group had that guy.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
There's lots of received crap about Lunars. I saw Winson Paine say earlier that without exaggeration the book is all rape and bestiality cover to cover when I seem to remember some not so great charms, bad character diversification advice (because of the crappiness of the charms and shapeshifting), and some ok stuff about Lunar anti-imperialism/"savagery" vs. "civilization" in Creation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mexcillent posted:

There's lots of received crap about Lunars. I saw Winson Paine say earlier that without exaggeration the book is all rape and bestiality cover to cover when I seem to remember some not so great charms, bad character diversification advice (because of the crappiness of the charms and shapeshifting), and some ok stuff about Lunar anti-imperialism/"savagery" vs. "civilization" in Creation.
Yeah, I think this is a lot of why Lunars shone, relatively speaking, in 2E. It wasn't that the end product was great, it was that there was the largest and immediately-visible improvement.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mexcillent posted:

The takeaway I've gotten from hearing fans and developers talk about Lunars in past editions is that they're the one splat that's never gotten a fair shake, which is why there's that titanic homebrew rewrite of Lunars.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is that that first Lunars rape sidebar or the second? Because there were two, one sensible and the other terrible.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Strength of Many posted:

I've been digging through 1e books along with some other people I know after all of this 'we're going back to our ROOTS!' stuff they keep clamoring on about with 3e and, after reading a few tidbits, I'm a bit.. surprised by what I've found. In light of recent garbage, I present for you men, women, and children of all ages; the infamous Lunars 1e sidebar.

e: whoops, forgot abyssals

It looks like we probably will? From what I understand they might dial back on the Abyssal charms and include sidebars like these. That probably is the best that can be expected, frankly. :shobon:

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Yeah, I think this is a lot of why Lunars shone, relatively speaking, in 2E. It wasn't that the end product was great, it was that there was the largest and immediately-visible improvement.

Funny thing about that, I seem to remember people tearing into Geoff way-back-when during Lunars 1e and ultimately driving him away from any future Exalted products.

Its surprising how lauded his return to Exalted has been, even from his distantly orbiting role. I assume that is because the current breed of fan is all post-1e -- one would hazard a guess that the more caustic and insane elements of the fandom came in about the same time Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition was arriving, and White Wolf ran that campaign of giving out a free 2e core rulebook if you traded in your 3.5e PHB.....

That's a bit conspiracy theory of me, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a lot of disaffected D&D 3e grogs migrated into Exalted.

e: typos

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 31, 2013

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Is that that first Lunars rape sidebar or the second? Because there were two, one sensible and the other terrible.

IIRC the sensible one was written by Malcolm Sheppard, who also posts here from time to time.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

The takeaway I've gotten from hearing fans and developers talk about Lunars in past editions is that they're the one splat that's never gotten a fair shake, which is why there's that titanic homebrew rewrite of Lunars.

I mean they're pretty much my favorite because imo, used right, they can be anything from Comandante Marcos to Usama Bin Laden to Spartacus. But as it is, I haven't seen that come out as much. 1st Edition matched my Lunar preconceptions the best but infuriated people because the Lunars weren't capable of being Koi-shapeshifters who told riddles and poetry and stuff (not that this is bad but it wasn't what I bought the book for).

2e tried to broaden the spectrum but also suffered from a lot of the creepy 2e eugenic mechanization and "An Exalt Did It!" stuff.

I actually like that homebrew a lot, it fits my needs for the Lunars to be the awful, violent revenge of the subaltern.

E: As a note I haven't played the homebrew.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 31, 2013

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I know we don't have numbers for Liminals yet, but somehow I'm picturing that every couple hundred miles in Creation there are these storm-swept lakes with forbidding rocky islands and inapproachable manses in the center, where mad scientists labour to return the dead to life.

This is 100% not a bad thing.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

IIRC the sensible one was written by Malcolm Sheppard, who also posts here from time to time.

Ethan Skemp also had a hand in that book, but I'm not sure who wrote that sidebar.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Mexcillent posted:

Its a gross exaggeration that only came up in sidebars. The rest was pretty 'hurr durr civilization bad' though, and their attempt and shoving a lot of Werewolf: the Apocalypse onto it rather than letting them be their own thing like MoEP: Lunars did.

Attorney at Funk posted:

If you're referring to Earth Scorpion's rewrite its utter poo poo. Complete and utter poo poo.

I'd toot my own horn about my 1-2 year+ long errata/rewrite of Lunar Exalted for 2e, but its not in a format I can post on here for consumption due to the wiki its on blocking anyone without an account. Maybe i'll throw it on the fire on everyone later.

GreenMetalSun posted:

I know we don't have numbers for Liminals yet, but somehow I'm picturing that every couple hundred miles in Creation there are these storm-swept lakes with forbidding rocky islands and inapproachable manses in the center, where mad scientists labour to return the dead to life.

This is 100% not a bad thing.

I'd rather see their themes be worked into Abyssals but we're well beyond that point I guess.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 31, 2013

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Strength of Many posted:

I'd rather see their themes be worked into Abyssals but we're well beyond that point I guess.
Yeah, Abyssals were already kind of choking for thematic space IMO, and the line is already a bit crowded. But it's all in the implementation, of course.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Strength of Many posted:

Its a gross exaggeration that only came up in sidebars. The rest was pretty 'hurr durr civilization bad' though, and their attempt and shoving a lot of Werewolf: the Apocalypse onto it rather than letting them be their own thing like MoEP: Lunars did.

Got it, Dynastic civilization is an unvarnished good for Creation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mexcillent posted:

Got it, Dynastic civilization is a good thing in Creation.

No, 1e Lunars was very clear that if you went soft and lived in houses with flush toilets, Luna would take your powers away.

This was in the ST section.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

Mexcillent posted:

Well, yes and no. Nothing is explicitly 'good' in setting. ... At least not until they distill it down to Black Hats and White Hats or whatever that trope is that people bandy about these days.

Mors Rattus posted:

No, 1e Lunars was very clear that if you went soft and lived in houses with flush toilets, Luna would take your powers away.

ugh. Thank you for reminding me of that, Mors. And how I wanted to like them after coming down from playing WtA for years... oh well its cool, Dragon-Blooded occupied most of my 1e games anyway. Love at first fight, if you will.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Mexcillent posted:

There is a difference between "The Realm is corrupt and dissolute, and its time is at hand to make way for something better" and "Everyone should go back to living in caves, wiping their asses with their hands, and warring with their neighbors over basic necessities because CIVILIZATION MAKES YOU WEAK".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

The same one that recommended you use different weapons to differentiate your lunars? I mean Barbarian Warriors?

I mean, I'm very comfortable with saying that the first part of the book which made lunar-"civilization" antagonism a conflict between subjected people and the Realm is probably a better representation of that element that everyone ignores in favor of the dumber, broad stuff from the STing chapter (written by a different author).

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 31, 2013

• Locked thread