Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbrickwall
Mar 12, 2013

pospysyl posted:

It's not that manses make demesnes less magical, it's that they irrevocably alter the powerful essence flows that influence that demesne. For instance, when building a water manse, you're going to have to alter the flow of that magical river, or maybe even dam it up. The people downriver who age much slower thanks to their magical drinking water are slowly going to die because you wanted a hearthstone. Your disruption of earth essence might trigger earthquakes somewhere else. The manse and hearthstone section of Oadenol's Codex was great in this regard, exposing the sheer scale of what geomancy actually is.

Or your alteration of the river's magic makes it stop mutating the fish into freshwater amphibious sharks that prey on a nearby village, making it a safe and more prosperous place that, oh, hey, now also has a nearby manse with all the amenities such glorious structures can provide.

The theme of irresponsibly affecting common people due to your grand schemes of power is one that belongs in Exalted, but needn't be awkwardly inserted into every instance of great magical deeds. Once in a while is enough.

And, of course, any half-witted Exalt who discovers a river of Age-Staving Cordial is going to be too blinded by the big dollar-signs in their eyes to consider loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Seriously, one of the more tedious ideas that seems to have crept into Exalted since I was last involved in it is the idea that "Exalted irrevocably gently caress everything up forever and are also huge assholes, just don't touch anything in case you ruin in with your big clumsy fingers you rear end in a top hat."

I mean sure, let incredible power have consequences if used irresponsibly, I'm down with that, but it'd be great if that wasn't wedged into every possible aspect of the game as humanly possible right down to "oh, and that sweet magic rock you have caused an earthquake that destroyed a village, hope your +2 to jump checks was worth it O Prince of the Earth."

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Kai Tave posted:

Seriously, one of the more tedious ideas that seems to have crept into Exalted since I was last involved in it is the idea that "Exalted irrevocably gently caress everything up forever and are also huge assholes, just don't touch anything in case you ruin in with your big clumsy fingers you rear end in a top hat."

I mean sure, let incredible power have consequences if used irresponsibly, I'm down with that, but it'd be great if that wasn't wedged into every possible aspect of the game as humanly possible right down to "oh, and that sweet magic rock you have caused an earthquake that destroyed a village, hope your +2 to jump checks was worth it O Prince of the Earth."

Yeah, it's this sort of writing that made the Thousand Streams River seem reasonable when taken at face value. Let's have more consequences flowing organically from your actions and less inherent defeatism, please.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, there are enough dreary things in the setting without saying "Every time someone makes a manse, all the little forest creatures die and acid wells up from the ground, the Earth withers away, and everyone dies." Yu-Shan is entirely covered with manses and it's reportedly a pretty chill place to live, but forget lore reasons; It's dumb because "Human attempts to master the untamed wilds always have big negative drawbacks" is a Werewolf thing that Exalted games shouldn't shoehorn in by default. It would be cool to have a one-off story where dismantling the Manse of a big jerk would create acres and acres of arable land, and the PCs could send up a Martial Arts Dojo in the ruins, but it should be equally valid that your manse channels raging underground water energy into creating an oasis that can feed thousands in the middle of the desert. In my opinion, a pretty big theme of Exalted is that power is eternal, and its ultimate consequences can only be determined by the character of she who wields it. Having manses categorically be a black stain on the environment in a way I would find highly obnoxious.

That said, I wouldn't mind using "defective/thoughtlessly-placed manse is harming the majority of the area's residents" as a plot now and again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sure! I'm all for the idea that manses can be bad for the local environment if build incorrectly/selfishly, or if they've fallen into disrepair over the centuries and become broken and corrupted and need to be fixed (hint hint). But I would find it rather annoying if the writers laid it out that "well sure you can have a magic rock for your kickass sword if, y'know, you don't mind being a callous monster for your jump bonus, your move Exalts :smug:"

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think it's completely fair and reasonable to say that unless you are specifically using the power of your new Manse to benefit its surroundings (in addition to other effects or not) then it just makes things shittier for the local peasants. Since when does snapping up resources to fight grand wars ever benefit the people living on top of those resources? If you want to be a just ruler you have to do things differently from the realm and the shogunate and the deliberative.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I think it's completely fair and reasonable to say that unless you are specifically using the power of your new Manse to benefit its surroundings (in addition to other effects or not) then it just makes things shittier for the local peasants. Since when does snapping up resources to fight grand wars ever benefit the people living on top of those resources? If you want to be a just ruler you have to do things differently from the realm and the shogunate and the deliberative.
Well this makes it so doing a cool thing is negative, unless you take pains to do otherwise. I think it is OK to have a setting where doing a thing is, in and of itself, neutral rather than negative, if only for the sake of variety.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's not like non-manseworthy areas in Creation are all barren, toxic shitholes either. I'm not really interested in the default tone of Exalted doing Exalted-y things being that of Dark Sun defilers. I think it should always be an option for an Exalt who really doesn't give a gently caress to magically strip-mine Bambi's secret glen in order to empower their magic glowstone, but unless they're specifically trying to squeeze every drop of juice out of the area I'd be happier with a default of "manses make things different, not worse."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I didn't mean to say that manses were always harmful and that this should be a firmly established setting truth, just that geomancy always has huge consequences that are difficult to predict. Those consequences should be a plot hook, and it's difficult to hook a plot on a positive. Of course, you could have such a mastery of geomancy that you can plan and create manses that create idyllic societies. That's well within Exalted themes too and an engaging story in its own right. There were several of those in Oadenol's Codex too. It was more a comment about scale and how to make manse creation really significant.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Who wouldn't try to extract every last drop of anything out of something? W-who would act so... sub optimally?!

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Son, let me tell you a story about a certain goose...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Yeah, I love weird, unforeseen consequences and backfires when I undertake big projects. As a Storyteller I love throwing them at my players. Generally I prefer "poo poo gets weird" to "poo poo goes bad", because the latter usually ends up discouraging people from investing themselves into projects like that, which not only feels lovely, it also makes the game lamer as players hesitate to engage with it.

Exalted shouldn't be making a normative moral claim about the use of power qua power. The whole point of the origin story of the Exalted, from the Primordial War up through the Usurpation, is that it contains both a titanic triumph in which tyrants are cast down from their thrones in Heaven by the champions of the gods, who usher in a (literally!) golden age, and a tyrannical, decadent horrorshow that people need to messily destroy and then they futilely struggle to hold together the pieces while everything slowly rots. The myth within the myth is where we learn the premise of the game: that both of these things are possible.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Some hope?

John Morke: Re: Laughing Wounds Style: I plan not to do it, ever.

Maybe he just got all the non-consensual BDSM in on other charms though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Some hope?

John Morke: Re: Laughing Wounds Style: I plan not to do it, ever.

Maybe he just got all the non-consensual BDSM in on other charms though.
Reading through that it sounded like the "pick your own martial art style to include" was a lot more like "guess what MA style Oberst Morke wishes to include in Ex3E"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
BDSM-fu aside, I'm honestly surprised to see that some people are pushing for Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style to make a corebook appearance. That's the one where the ultimate technique is turning into a seahorse-monster, right? That one always made me wonder who in the world looked at that and went "Yes! Finally the answer to all my character creation prayers!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kai Tave posted:

BDSM-fu aside, I'm honestly surprised to see that some people are pushing for Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style to make a corebook appearance. That's the one where the ultimate technique is turning into a seahorse-monster, right? That one always made me wonder who in the world looked at that and went "Yes! Finally the answer to all my character creation prayers!"

Well, if you ignore that particular Charm, it's a fairly useful martial art for courtesans or scholars or basically anybody who wears scarves or long sleeves.

Which is what I pretty much figure they'll do: remove the gazelle-carp, resulting in a broadly-applicable martial art for many character types, perfectly suitable for the corebook.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, if you ignore that particular Charm, it's a fairly useful martial art for courtesans or scholars or basically anybody who wears scarves or long sleeves.

Which is what I pretty much figure they'll do: remove the gazelle-carp, resulting in a broadly-applicable martial art for many character types, perfectly suitable for the corebook.

Noooo, not the gazellecarp! I love the gazellecarp!

(Seriously I love the gazellecarp and I will make frowny-faces at Holden and John if DPC makes it into the core and the gazellecarp is gone. It's too bad Holden and John live like on the other side of a continent from me and they won't even be able to see those frowny-faces.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

That's what I could never figure out. It's like it started as "the soft martial art style for people with scarves or long sleeves" and sure, fine, I get that. I support that, even. But then it's like halfway through the process someone came up behind the guy writing it and said "you know what this needs? A charm that turns you into a freakish seahorse monster. No seriously, it makes perfect sense. Big ol' seahorse monster charm just rarin' to go. Because when players think silk scarf kung-fu they think seahorse monsters."

And then for some reason the guy writing the charms said "okay." It's not bad so much as...really weird and out of place.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Sometimes you just have to say "gently caress you, this is happening" and randomly turn into an abomination against nature. It's not a good thing, it's not a bad thing. It's just what happens when people fight. I mean why would you even play Exalted if you were trying to take out all the things that would make rational activity pause in wonder, horror, and fascinated disgust at the sheer unbelievable scale of what you've just done? Turning into some sort of giraffe fish monster literally out of nowhere and without even the slightest hint that this was a thing you were building towards is exactly what your martial arts moves should do. Some dude attacks you with waves of flame from his swords, some dude splits the ground with a massive overhand hammer strike....you turn into the most baffling amalgam of animal parts in the history of time and sort of flounder and hoof it around everyone, creeping them way the gently caress out.

Nobody is going to try to sing a ballad about that one, let me tell you.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Sure! I'm all for the idea that manses can be bad for the local environment if build incorrectly/selfishly, or if they've fallen into disrepair over the centuries and become broken and corrupted and need to be fixed (hint hint). But I would find it rather annoying if the writers laid it out that "well sure you can have a magic rock for your kickass sword if, y'know, you don't mind being a callous monster for your jump bonus, your move Exalts :smug:"

It's a very high modern idea of wilderness/ecosystems that informs this imo. "Even in my fantasy world, I assume that everyone loves private property and forcing land to suit their whims. Even my imagination is American."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mexcillent posted:

It's a very Anglocentric idea of wilderness/ecosystems that informs this imo. "Even in my fantasy world, I assume that everyone loves private property and forcing land to suit their whims. Even my imagination is American."
I believe the history of large-scale public works projects is significantly deeper than your summary indicates.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Nessus posted:

I believe the history of large-scale public works projects is significantly deeper than your summary indicates.

My bad forgot China.

Anyways, there's way more working with land and reshaping in non-horrifying tragic ways than there are total ecological nightmares all the time.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Mexcillent posted:

My bad forgot China.
Yeah, and Egypt and the Anasazi and the Soviets and Easter Island and

I mean, we're talking about a setting that's basically Gordon Childe with more punching.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Yeah, and Egypt and the Anasazi and the Soviets and Easter Island and

I mean, we're talking about a setting that's basically Gordon Childe with more punching.

Ancestral Puebloans (Anasazi) weren't that, though. Unless they caused climate change or Athabaskan migration.

My point is that not all changes to an environment are catastrophic.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mexcillent posted:

Ancestral Puebloans (Anasazi) weren't that, though. Unless they caused climate change or Athabaskan migration.

Oh fair enough, I misread you a bit then :) I suppose we're agreeing in slightly different directions then.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Mexcillent posted:

I thought they hosed up their water supply? I could be misremembering.

quote:

I think Exalted tends towards a romantic conservatism in being skeptical of Brilliant Plans to change complex systems around. Of course saying EVERY MANSE IS A DISASTER is really heavy-handed and would get dull after a while.

Of course, it's also probably fair to say that the modern concepts of "nature" and "ecology" don't really exist in Creation. It's sociology all the way down.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

I think Exalted tends towards a romantic conservatism in being skeptical of Brilliant Plans to change complex systems around. Of course saying EVERY MANSE IS A DISASTER is really heavy-handed and would get dull after a while.

AnCap romanticism is the last frontier to get over in making Exalted the best LLCO RPG on the market.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Mexcillent posted:

AnCap romanticism is the last frontier to get over in making Exalted the best LLCO RPG on the market.
Nah man it's needed so you can give Mao/Zizek-style koans about necessary catastrophes.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
lmao now I'm imagining Alain Badiou as a Sidereal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Consider also that real world landscaping projects were not planned and carried out by divinely empowered super-engineers.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Consider also that real world landscaping projects were not planned and carried out by divinely empowered super-engineers.

Wow, someone's never read Rand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I will never kung fu for another, nor ask another to kung fu for me.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

Wow, someone's never read Rand.
Everything good was made by Autochthon but everyone else was just a LOOTER who didn't appreciate his CREATIVE VISION well gently caress YOU the Great Maker is going off to HIS OWN PRIVATE REALITY FREE FROM YOUR MOOCHING and ohfuckgremlinismandwheredthesoulsgo

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

We've already talked publicly about how it's awful that hearthstones have been "Some random magic rock of +3 self-satisfaction. Oh yeah and I guess a magic house is involved?" Hearthstones will be important in different ways and also not grab bag bullshit.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Everything good was made by Autochthon but everyone else was just a LOOTER who didn't appreciate his CREATIVE VISION well gently caress YOU the Great Maker is going off to HIS OWN PRIVATE REALITY FREE FROM YOUR MOOCHING and ohfuckgremlinismandwheredthesoulsgo

There was no Usurpation - the Solars just all went Galt.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

There was no Usurpation - the Solars just all went Galt.
I unironically assumed the Invisible Fortress was, at least in part, a sick riff on Galt's gulch.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Manses and demesnes in Exalted draw heavily from the idea that humans can improve their environment. The return of the Solars is a big deal in this sense because the guys who built all these magic castles to tame the wilderness are coming back to do it again. Although I'm pretty sure there is an option in the manse creation rules that allow the creator to turn the area into a toxic hell hole that sort of thing isn't considered the norm and if I recall there's also an option to return some of the energy to the surroundings so things stay the same if you have mutants that depend on a demesnes.

That being said, building magic castles for the sole reason of getting a rock of +4 to jumping is boring.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

I unironically assumed the Invisible Fortress was, at least in part, a sick riff on Galt's gulch.
Notable Gulches of Creation: Malfeas, Autochthonia, the Jade Prison, the Invisible Fortress, the Labyrinth, whatever Lunars have been doing...

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Every world is a grave. Some just haven't been dug yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oligopsony posted:

Notable Gulches of Creation: Malfeas, Autochthonia, the Jade Prison, the Invisible Fortress, the Labyrinth, whatever Lunars have been doing...
My God, it's gulches all the way down!

• Locked thread